Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Red5

Disappointing box office take less than a billion
    Tony EH wrote: »
    Maybe. Sure, we'll see, I suppose.

Still genuinely don't think I'll bother going though. I can wait for a download, or catch it on the cheap. Either way, I'm in no hurry.

So your not gonna bother with this movie? Yet you are still in here several times a day discussing it. Why do that if your not bothered? People need to leave the house more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

that C3PO "friends" line is pure Dobby from Harry Potter. *cringe*

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Red5 wrote: »
    So your not gonna bother with this movie? Yet you are still in here several times a day discussing it. Why do that if your not bothered? People need to leave the house more.

I'm not going to the cinema to watch it, no. Don't feel the need.

I'm not going to the cinema to watch it, no. Don't feel the need.

Yet you feel the need to bad mouth a movie you have no intention to watch every few mins on an internet forum. Sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Déja vu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

This does not look good. First of all it seems most if not all of the story has been given away in that trailer already. Secondly it seems just more of that patched together Disney Christmas tosh.

Wii I watch it? Sure I will, because... but after the last two expectations are low and this trailer doesnt look any better.

Yet you feel the need to bad mouth a movie you have no intention to watch every few mins on an internet forum. Sound.

You don't ever have to concern yourself with what I, or anybody else on this forum, chooses to discuss, or with whom they choose to discuss it with.

Nor should you ever "feel the need" to add to your 50 posts so far by chiming in to have a go at another poster because they're saying something you don't like.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

No point in judging either the movie or the trilogy until you see how the whole story plays.

The original trilogy will always be considered the best, the subsequent movies/trilogies will always fall short in comparison.

A better comparison for the sequel trilogy is how do they compare to current movies like Avengers, Fast & Furious, Avatar etc. I’d think these Star Wars movies will outlast most of their contemporaries in terms of relevance and rewatchability.

Take the much derided Star Wars prequels which came out around the same time as the much better received Lord of the Rings trilogy and Hobbit prequel trilogy. 15 years on LOTR is largely forgotten, Hobbit is totally forgotten, whereas the prequels are still there.

Regarding even the original trilogy, people forget that once ROTJ was released, people moved on to things like Back to the Future, Rambo, Beverly Hills Cop etc. Star Wars was considered ‘done’ after two good movies followed by a weaker third one!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    that C3PO "friends" line is pure Dobby from Harry Potter. *cringe*

:D

https://twitter.com/CK_P/status/1186829076910264320

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭geecee

My local Odeon are showing all 3 of the new trilogy back-to-back between 18.00-03.00 on release night. 10 minute intermission after TFA and 30 minute intermission after TLJ.

I was going to book the triple play (same price for all 3 movies as 1!) but then I got thinking that the marathon of the other 2 movies may take away from my enjoyment of The Rise of Skywalker... not to mention the effects of a smelly cinema or sitting in the same chair for 8.5 out of 9 hours!

What do others think? Watch the trilogy or just take in the new movie as a standalone?

• Advertisement

Wedwood wrote: »
    No point in judging either the movie or the trilogy until you see how the whole story plays.

You can make judgements on a trailer, which is what people are doing.

And you can make judgements on the last two film in a trilogy, which is also what people are doing.
    The original trilogy will always be considered the best, the subsequent movies/trilogies will always fall short in comparison.

It doesn't have to be this way. There is nothing written in stone that says subsequent additions to a story have to be worse than the first efforts.
    A better comparison for the sequel trilogy is how do they compare to current movies like Avengers, Fast & Furious, Avatar etc. I’d think these Star Wars movies will outlast most of their contemporaries in terms of relevance and rewatchability.

Star Wars movies are inevitably going to be compared to other entries in the series. In fact it makes much more sense to do so than to compare them to films in which they have absolutely nothing in common.
    Take the much derided Star Wars prequels which came out around the same time as the much better received Lord of the Rings trilogy and Hobbit prequel trilogy. 15 years on LOTR is largely forgotten, Hobbit is totally forgotten, whereas the prequels are still there.

You think the 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy is "forgotten"?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,087 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

15 years on LOTR is largely forgotten, Hobbit is totally forgotten, whereas the prequels are still there.
    :rolleyes:

in a galaxy far far away maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

geecee wrote: »
    My local Odeon are showing all 3 of the new trilogy back-to-back between 18.00-03.00 on release night. 10 minute intermission after TFA and 30 minute intermission after TLJ.

I was going to book the triple play (same price for all 3 movies as 1!) but then I got thinking that the marathon of the other 2 movies may take away from my enjoyment of The Rise of Skywalker... not to mention the effects of a smelly cinema or sitting in the same chair for 8.5 out of 9 hours!

What do others think? Watch the trilogy or just take in the new movie as a standalone?

We watched tfa before the midnight showing off tlj. Was knackered for the second film.

Much more enjoyment of it after a second watch when i wasn't tired

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I like you wedwood, generally give your thoughts the time of day, but that above is demonstrably, quantifiable nonsense :) Largely forgotten my eye.

And if the prequels persist, its as cautionary tales about the dangers of hubris, and that all the money in the world can't substitute direction or writing. Possibly the most autopsied films in cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

pixelburp wrote: »
    I like you wedwood, generally give your thoughts the time of day, but that above is demonstrably, quantifiable nonsense :) Largely forgotten my eye.

And if the prequels persist, its as cautionary tales about the dangers of hubris, and that all the money in the world can't substitute direction or writing. Possibly the most autopsied films in cinema.

Hobbit is a tale of greed had they not gone for a trilogy it would have been pretty good.

I still liked them for all their flaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Tis great to see C3PO all shiny again!

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

pixelburp wrote: »

Just riffing pixelburp. I find it gas we’re all either criticizing or defending a movie none of us have seen yet !!!

I find it gas we’re all either criticizing or defending a movie none of us have seen yet !!!

Except nobody is doing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

You don't ever have to concern yourself with what I, or anybody else on this forum, chooses to discuss, or with whom they choose to discuss it with.

Nor should you ever "feel the need" to add to your 50 posts so far by chiming in to have a go at another poster because they're saying something you don't like.

;)

What's the wink for at the end? You 12 years old? You gonna go and cry to mods again?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    Meh, relax. I'd rather engage with a few haters sceptics in here rather keep this an echo chamber.

Unless they happen to be LOTR haters. In which case cast them into the fires of Mount Doom (or a Sarlacc - if you can't create a suitable diversion.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Keep it civil please. No need for personal attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Just seen a link for a cinema in the UK doing a triple header, on the 18th of December, of The Force awakens, The last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker( at midnight) for £15.
    8hrs of movies.
    Anyone heard of anywhere in Ireland doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    ewj1978 wrote: »
    Just seen a link for a cinema in the UK doing a triple header, on the 18th of December, of The Force awakens, The last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker( at midnight) for £15.
    8hrs of movies.

Interesting.
    Only my opinion (which isn't worth anything :pac: ) That's too much for one go.
    You'd be burned out by the time The Last Jedi ends and you'd be noticing "the forumla" more when you watched Rise of the Skywalker.

(Formula being you know when you binge watch a show you start to see the little same things they like to redo.... best to go in fresh to enjoy it more. As after all, you can only see a movie for a first time the first time. Make the most out of it)

What's the wink for at the end? You 12 years old? You gonna go and cry to mods again?

Post 51 and another fabulous addition to the discussion. Well done you.

The only one crying around here is yourself.

Another winky for ya. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

8hrs of movies.

Lighthouse are showing them all but you'll have to pay separately for Force Awakens/Last Jedi Double Bill and then ROS at 00:05am

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

8hrs of movies.

Vue Liffey Valley are doing the triple bill https://www.myvue.com/book-tickets/summary/10011/999659/370375

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Vue Liffey Valley are doing the triple bill https://www.myvue.com/book-tickets/summary/10011/999659/370375

If only i was younger and had no kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,303 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Any speculation on Rey's potential love interest has been misplaced.

493751.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't dislike Rey half as much as others around, defended her only a page or so back ... but man I cannot abide her taking the pilot seat of the Falcon. Never sat well with me.

Advertisement