Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,010 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Firefly reference I think? the star destroyer with red paint splashed on it, is kinda like the Reaver from that Whedon show: space cannibals who daubed their ships with blood.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    pixelburp wrote: »
    Firefly reference I think? the star destroyer with red paint splashed on it, is kinda like the Reaver from that Whedon show: space cannibals who daubed their ships with blood.

Oh right. Never seen that. Thanks.
    It’s hurting my Star Wars brain. It’s Star destroyers with a rebel alliance colour scheme.
    Wondering if this is a misdirect or some kind. But I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Good read. I like jj

J.J. Abrams and the Secrets of 'Skywalker'
    The writer and director on the challenge of ending the saga, fan criticism, and respecting George Lucas’ vision

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-features/star-wars-jj-abrams-secrets-of-skywalker-912362/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Only watching that latest trailer now. They’re really doubling down on the whole the force can help you fly through outer space!

Just a force jump. Luke does same in empire. Arguably a bigger distance too. And Kenobi and qui Gon in the prequels too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Good read. I like jj

J.J. Abrams and the Secrets of 'Skywalker'
    The writer and director on the challenge of ending the saga, fan criticism, and respecting George Lucas’ vision

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-features/star-wars-jj-abrams-secrets-of-skywalker-912362/

Interesting read. Some openness expressed. Not sure I believe the thing about Rey though being “no accident”

faceman wrote: »
    Interesting read. Some openness expressed. Not sure I believe the thing about Rey though being “no accident”

Darkness rises and the light to meet it. Balance n all that jazz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

It might not be space, either. Look at the mounted riding scene. From what I can remember it doesn't look like anyone is wearing suits or masks to protect against a vacuum. It could be the same, or similar location.

• Advertisement

Relikk wrote: »
    It might not be space, either. Look at the mounted riding scene. From what I can remember it doesn't look like anyone is wearing suits or masks to protect against a vacuum. It could be the same, or similar location.

Oh yeah. Someone spotted that they’re all in atmosphere in that shot. There’s lightning and clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,649 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

So it seems bringing back the Emperor wasn't originally part of the plan for Episode 9 .

"Bringing back the Emperor was an idea JJ brought to the table when he came on board," Colin Trevorrow told Empire. "It's honestly something I never considered. I commend him for it. This was a tough story to unlock, and he found the key."

There seems to have been no plan at all for the trilogy, just make it up as they go.

Of course it wasn't.

It's happening out of sheer desperation.

He’s understandably bitter having been fired.

There’s about 5 new canon books since TFA was released all roadmaps to Palpatine coming back.

You can not like it but he was always the endgame. Boom boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

There’s about 5 new canon books since TFA was released all roadmaps to Palpatine coming back.

Yet more confirmation that there isn't a single original idea in the whole ****ty mess. Unless you count the sporses.

What a ****ing waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,137 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

So it seems bringing back the Emperor wasn't originally part of the plan for Episode 9 .

"Bringing back the Emperor was an idea JJ brought to the table when he came on board," Colin Trevorrow told Empire. "It's honestly something I never considered. I commend him for it. This was a tough story to unlock, and he found the key."

There seems to have been no plan at all for the trilogy, just make it up as they go.

Possibly even more concerning that they were desperately casting around for a way of wrapping up the story but it never occurred to anyone to bring Palpatine back, even to dismiss it as a lame idea, until Abrams came on board.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,010 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It also begs the question whether Abrams even had any clue where he was going with Episode VII; it could be suggested the emperor was always going to come back in his own trilogy pitch, but given what we know of Abrams writing style it also stands up that he's just singing scripts based on what looks / sounds cool. Snoke, the Knights of Ren, Reys parentage, and so on from Episode VII; we know he loves a good Mystery Box but doesn't think past the superficial thrill of the mystery.

Being forced to consider an actual conclusion for one, Abrams defaults to repeating what went before, presumably also dovetailing with Disney's own insecurities after Last Jedi's experimentation. All speculation of course, but these aren't newbies, these are seasoned creatives with very strong precedents.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,230 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

To me Treverrow’s comments reads like the shocking revelation that a new director / screenwriter decided to tell the story that they wanted to tell, rather than the one a completely different director / screenwriter wanted to tell :p And that’s not a judgement on whether the ideas are good or bad (something I’m unwilling to judge until I see the film).

That said I think Treverrow has displayed much weaker storytelling instincts in his films than Abrams (Safety not Guaranteed excepted) so not at all convinced he’d have had a fresh perspective worth seeing (purely hypothetical of course since we’ll never know).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,739 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I think people here are taking this all too seriously. Jeez people lighten up. Its a film. I for one am looking forward to it and even know which cinema I am going to see it in. Moan about the film after you have seen it but even then its just a film. It is a good idea to try and enjoy the film when you go to the cinema and not think too much about it. Role on December the 19th.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Relikk wrote: »

It's in space alright. Looks like the falcon is coming to rescue her, you can see it in the shot just previous to it. Falcon backs up into whatever ship Kylo Ren is on, all the stromtroopers get blown away by the engine of the falcon by the looks of it except for Mary Poppins... sorry!...Rey!.. and Kylo Ren. And she takes flight for the platform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Ah the books are canon all of a sudden? Lovely.

Ah the books are canon all of a sudden? Lovely.

All the books since tfa in the new canon are yeah. None from before.

AMKC wrote: »
    I think people here are taking this all too seriously. Jeez people lighten up. Its a film. I for one am looking forward to it and even know which cinema I am going to see it in. Moan about the film after you have seen it but even then its just a film. It is a good idea to try and enjoy the film when you go to the cinema and not think too much about it. Role on December the 19th.

People on the internet, debating Star Wars?? Whatever next!! :rolleyes: :)

And I've seen you around the Star Trek forum giving it socks, so people in glass houses... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Margate

Anakin needs to show up in this or its an absolute slap in the face of the original films

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Margate wrote: »
    Anakin needs to show up in this or its an absolute slap in the face of the original films

I think he will but it will be a quick cameo with other force ghosts to help Rey beat Palpatine.

I think he will but it will be a quick cameo with other force ghosts to help Rey beat Palpatine.

That was my thinking too. But then you rob Rey if you do that.
    If he turns up and has a few strong words with Kylo to snap him out of it might be better.
    Although, he took his time doing it if that is how it goes down.

Margate wrote: »

Sebastian Shaw is dead. He won't be turning up. :pac:

In any case, the original films have already been slapped in the face enough times by these sequels.

Well you’ve abrams saying they went huge and threw everything at it.
    It’s obvious he has to be in it. Some people will hate it no matter what. More reasonable on will say if it’s well written and serves the story well and good. But as with force awakens people miss the point. It’s right there in the title. He’ll be in it for sure.

New tv spot. Knights of ren and the sith troopers. This looks like it has a lot more heft or something than previous trailers films. More physical or visceral

• Advertisement

Ha. I was just thinking it'd be kinda hilarious if Abrams brought back the emperor, only to then pull a Snoke and kill him off as a mere truffle and distraction. Narrative solidarity with Johnson as it were; the chattering classes would go apeshít I do think, and it'd be glorious.

Advertisement