Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭OU812

Are... em...

Are the...

Damnit.

Can’t believe I’m going to write this, but...

Are the space horses this trilogy’s ewoks?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

mostly because I think TLJ goes for broke and is a wonderful, satisfying story on its own terms

Can I ask you what you thought was wonderful or satisfying about The Last Jedi?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,137 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

OU812 wrote: »
    Are... em...

Are the...

Damnit.

Can’t believe I’m going to write this, but...

Are the space horses this trilogy’s ewoks?

No that's the porgs I'd say. More ton tons possibly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

This trailer did not move me. The Rise of Skywalker has a feeling of a writer working through a task list of "give it more of teh epic" and "it has to appeal to X and Y demographics." If Rise has any heart, it was a heart designed, measured and printed by committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Disappointing box office take less than a billion
    ROTJ wrapped everything up so comprehensively, it was always going to be hard to justify starting everything up again in that universe. Presumably the return of the emperor and some explanation of how he relates to Snoke will provide some overarching structure for the story, but it hard to imagine how it won't feel lame wherever they go with it...

A Sith can only have one apprentice, so Snoke had to die in order for the emperor to take Kylo as his apprentice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Please don't. :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    Tony EH wrote: »
    C3PO is a robot. He's programmed to be fastidious, pedantic and fussy about protocol. He's an annoying twat, but a model that serves a purpose with ambassadors and translation.

As for "friends", this really shouldn't come into it, especially these new characters, who've been around for all of five minutes.
    But we see a jungle. And we've all witnessed over 18 seasons how total strangers thrust into a jungle can become blubbering lifelong friends over the course of a wet week.

I'd agree this movie really needs to go somewhere fun with Finn and Poe. Two characters who had precious little screen together despite the chemistry they showed in flashes. Maybe they could ride space Tauntauns togther in zero gee. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I am not who you are talking to but why i felt some parts of it were satisfying was a throw back to episode 4 or even episode 1 where it felt like there was a bit of an adventure going on and they did a few more bits and pieces.

Unfortunately it was all let down by the whole "chase" scene which felt over done because it went on for the entire film.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Calhoun wrote: »
    I am not who you are talking to but why i felt some parts of it were satisfying was a throw back to episode 4 or even episode 1 where it felt like there was a bit of an adventure going on and they did a few more bits and pieces.

Unfortunately it was all let down by the whole "chase" scene which felt over done because it went on for the entire film.

It was let down by a lot more than that in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Screw Attack

It's a wonderful film about the critique of hero worship, finding one's self, putting aside your ego, things aren't all black or white etc. Yeah, pretty good film. 7/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Dades wrote: »
    I'd agree this movie really needs to go somewhere fun with Finn and Poe.

The problem there though Dades is that they are just two characters that are completely superfluous to the plot, what little of it there is.

They are absolutely unnecessary and only exist, because there was three leads in the original films and JJ's copy and paste couldn't think on its own. You could drop them entirely and nothing would change. That's how useless they are.

The new central characters should really have just been Rey and Kylo and their interactions with the old crew, assuming that the old crew were even needed at all, because what they did with them was rubbish as well.

But every single time Finn and Poe are on the screen they are just taking up time that should be spent developing Rey so she becomes an actual rounded character and not the cypher she is.

Tony EH wrote: »
    The problem there though Dades is that they are just two characters that are completely superfluous to the plot, what little of it there is.
    Well, I'm still hoping they can do something useful together.

A good plot would be a bonus, too!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Dades wrote: »
    Well, I'm still hoping they can do something useful together.

A good plot would be a bonus, too!

Maybe. Sure, we'll see, I suppose.

Still genuinely don't think I'll bother going though. I can wait for a download, or catch it on the cheap. Either way, I'm in no hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

I've got my ticket. Only 2 months to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Let's be honest, this trilogy has been stuck together separately....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

I hope (but seriously doubt) that The Rise of Skywalker manages to work a miracle in terms of completing the story arc from the OT.

If not, then as far as I'm concerned (as a lifelong fan since the 70s), the reality is that nothing released after ROTJ has improved on the OT story line in any way.

Yes, there's been some great scenes / cinematography / music (Duel of the Fates is a standout), but other than that, it's been hard work being a Star Wars fan sine ROTJ.

Dart Maul gets an honourable mention because he's such a cool baddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Let's be honest, this trilogy has been stuck together separately....

Surely it couldn't have been.
    Like when Disney bought Lucas film and announced the three new movies you think they'd have a plot outline of where to go with two and three. Using the original trilogy as a template.

But yet Rian Johnson came in and totally changed everything. For a good while I thought that was because TFA was critised for being too much like a new hope. So change the sequel up Yadda Yadda and what we got was the last jedi.

Shame JJ didn't do all three.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

all the new characters are wooden blocks and they dishonoured the old characters especially Luke and Han. The movie should be called The Rise of Meh

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Only thing that has me interested in this is Palpatine, if his story is good it will be worth it .. but I hope we get some links to Snoke/Plageuis etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Only thing that has me interested in this is Palpatine, if his story is good it will be worth it .. but I hope we get some links to Snoke/Plageuis etc...

Since Palpatine heavily suggested (basically said) he was the one who killed Plageuis. Could the story be he used what Plageuis's knew to bring himself back?
    Something that Plageuis couldn't do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,137 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Since Palpatine heavily suggested (basically said) he was the one who killed Plageuis. Could the story be he used what Plageuis's knew to bring himself back?
    Something that Plageuis couldn't do?

No matter how they spin it, I reckon it'll feel like when they brought Darth Maul back for the Solo film...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,010 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

silverharp wrote: »
    all the new characters are wooden blocks and they dishonoured the old characters especially Luke and Han. The movie should be called The Rise of Meh

Out of curiosity, did you grow up with the original cast? I ask because when you distance yourself from nostalgia, the original characters were pretty 1D, with Luke so cliché he's a perfect insert for the Monomyth.

Point being: for those growing up with this new trilogy, I'd contest that Rey, Finn, Rose etc will have as strong a nostalgic connection as Luke & Han did for us/you. They're about as deep as SW characters have tended to be, while played by arguably better, more charismatic actors (I love Mark Hamill, but his line reading of "I was going to go to Toshi Station to pick up some power converters" is eternally awful). And while not universal, the fact debates are had about Ren as a fantastically complex antagonist shows some thought was put into the writing.

Not saying they're immune from criticism, cos they ain't, but from a cultural or emotional perspective the new cast sit in about the same space IMO. And I don't think they dishonoured Han, considering it was the only way they could get Harrison Ford back in the first place; it was killing him off or no Han Solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

pixelburp wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, did you grow up with the original cast? I ask because when you distance yourself from nostalgia, the original characters were pretty 1D, with Luke so cliché he's a perfect insert for the Monomyth.

Point being: for those growing up with this new trilogy, I'd contest that Rey, Finn, Rose etc will have as strong a nostalgic connection as Luke & Han did for us/you. They're about as deep as SW characters have tended to be, while played by arguably better, more charismatic actors (I love Mark Hamill, but his line reading of "I was going to go to Toshi Station to pick up some power converters" is eternally awful). And while not universal, the fact debates are had about Ren as a fantastically complex antagonist shows some thought was put into the writing.

And I don't think they dishonoured Han, considering it was the only way they could get Harrison Ford back in the first place; it was killing him off or no Han Solo.

General Solo, hero of the rebellion and famous galaxy wide having no option to go back to smuggling when Leia kicked him out of the house was one of the stupidest ****ing things about the sequel.

Abrams has really never had an original idea in his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I still haven't seen the Solo film ... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,622 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I still haven't seen the Solo film ... :(

I watched it recently enough. Not bad but its very forgettable. Really don't remember what happened in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Not saying they're immune from criticism, cos they ain't, but from a cultural or emotional perspective the new cast sit in about the same space IMO. And I don't think they dishonoured Han, considering it was the only way they could get Harrison Ford back in the first place; it was killing him off or no Han Solo.

Im more attached to the original 3 movies agewise. probably have seen each of them several times, more when I was younger. They had an arc, the present characters are inferior and no reason to care if they live or die.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney

The characters in original trilogy were 1D but at least they had arcs and character development. They were the absolute archetypes of storytelling. The knight, princess, wizard, villain and even side-kicks.

What are the characters in the sequel trilogy?

RedLetterMedia said it better than I could with the problems with the Phantom Menace. Try to use adjectives to describe the characters in the Original Trilogy.
    Now do that with the characters in the Prequel and Sequel Trilogy.

Qui-Gon Jinn? Erm ... mentory? Beardy?
    Rey?
    Rose?
    Finn?

They're bland beyond belief.
    You can't say that about the OT so give me one dimensional and interesting any day.

"I'd contest that Rey, Finn, Rose etc will have as strong a nostalgic connection as Luke & Han did for us/you"
    "but from a cultural or emotional perspective the new cast sit in about the same space IMO."

I find that incredibly hard to believe. Do you really believe that this generation will look back as fondly on the sequel trilogy as the original trilogy?

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭El Duda

Rey - Fearless. Damaged.

Rose - Optimistic. Kind.

Finn - Naive. Overly enthusiastic.

Surely Rey is the Messiah?

Kylo Ren = The Villian
    Poe = The Rogue
    BB8 =Sidekick
    Finn = You got me there...