Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transsexual Prisoners

Options
  • 13-06-2018 1:19pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Bit of a spat going on on Twitter at the moment between Graham Linehan and Owen Jones related to this. Apparently, Ian Huntley (murderer of kids Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman) has decided (from prison) that he wants to identify as woman and be moved to a women's prison. Some people have made supportive comments on this (including a recent parliamentary candidate of the Lib Dems). Twitter have also reportedly removed Tweets referring to Huntley as a man as they do for other "deadnaming" cases.

There's also of course been many people expressing outrage and many feminists trying to differentiate trans women from biological females. Particularly around the subject of trans women using women's prisons etc.

This was probably always going to happen eventually. Most people I think were broadly accepting of Chelsea Manning's choice to identify as a woman while being prosecuted, but are pretty horrified by this. Very hard to legislate reasonably. Should prisoners automatically lose the right to self-identify as a different gender?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

Whatever is between his legs should determine where he serves his time, and he should get a good kicking there while they check.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Ian Huntley should have no rights of any description.
    He should stay strapped to a board till he dies - I couldn't give a rats arse what he self identifies as, I identify "it" as a worthless piece of shít.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

They'd have to put trans females in the male prison presumably.
    Can't see this getting legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Stick Huntley in a separate facility. Perhaps with some pit-bulls that have history of attacking people?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Before this descends into poisonous bile, let me share a somehat relevant and kinda weird story with y'all.

My very first week as a young prison officer I had to deal with inmates on protection such as vunerable and at risk prisoners. This was in a male prison. One of the very first inmates I met was trans. It was a surreal thing to deal with on my first week. He/She was 6 foot, shaped like a Fanta bottle and was driving all the other inmates mad with confusion and whatever else that they had to house her elsewhere. It gets weirder. I was there supervising them all getting their supper and she walks up, all hips and all, to collect her food. Looks at me and asks ''hey sweetie, what are we having?''. I'm all nervous and such and say ''em, it's just a pie and some peas''. She retorts ''I hope it's a sweet pie like you!''. So surreal.

And yet, that's not the end of it. She was apparently on the German version of Big Brother back in the early 2000's ha ha.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

Ian Huntley also claimed to be insane after being found guilty of that double-murder, and was observed 24/7 for almost 2 months by psychiatrists. They concluded that there was nothing wrong with him, and it was a ploy to get a cushier sentence in a psychiatric unit either than prison.

I suspect Huntley isn't enjoying male prison all that much - having your throat slit by a fellow inmate will do that to you - and is trying to weasel his way out of it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Amusing to see Linehan getting a similar mass twitter kicking as the ones he likes to organise, better still he's getting it from the very extreme leftists who he normally likes to set on others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

I am sure there are many who would like to assist with his transition.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

I would have thought that, if he identified as a woman, he'd have enjoyed being stuck in a male prison.

Omackeral wrote: »

Maxine2.jpg

Jaysus, looks like my mates wife :eek:

I always had my doubts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Before this descends into poisonous bile, let me share a somehat relevant and kinda weird story with y'all.

Came in to see if you'd posted this story :)

JaMarcus wrote: »
    I suspect Huntley isn't enjoying male prison all that much.

Good. I hope the bastard lives to 99 and dreads every second!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

neonsofa wrote: »
    Came in to see if you'd posted this story :)

Plot twist, neonsofa was on BB Germany

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

The reason why a lot of these despised criminals are claiming to be trans is because life is easier in a female prison for them.

Huntley is far from the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

One person in 300 is transgendered. How much attention do we have to pay to this issue? It seems to generate an extraordinary amount of column inches.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,476 ✭✭✭✭banie01

My very first week as a young prison officer I had to deal with inmates on protection such as vunerable and at risk prisoners. This was in a male prison. One of the very first inmates I met was trans. It was a surreal thing to deal with on my first week. He/She was 6 foot, shaped like a Fanta bottle and was driving all the other inmates mad with confusion and whatever else that they had to house her elsewhere. It gets weirder. I was there supervising them all getting their supper and she walks up, all hips and all, to collect her food. Looks at me and asks ''hey sweetie, what are we having?''. I'm all nervous and such and say ''em, it's just a pie and some peas''. She retorts ''I hope it's a sweet pie like you!''. So surreal.

And yet, that's not the end of it. She was apparently on the German version of Big Brother back in the early 2000's ha ha. I'll see if I can can find her.

Ha here, she is.

Big Brother Germany profile

Maxine2.jpg

As a prison officer with relevant experience to the OP, does your story have a point?

How do you believe it should be handled?
    Should Prisoners tried and convicted as 1 gender have a right to identify post conviction as Trans and as such be allowed serve their sentence as their identified gender?
    Even if the identification as Trans is made many years later and in an environment where they will gain from this identification?
    What steps should be taken to accommodate prisoners that do?
    Should a man who commits child murder be allowed to reassign whilst in custody and rejoin society as a woman when deemed eligible for parole?

I personally believe that as a convicted criminal, that prison should be a rehabilitiave environment.
    However some crimes do merit a whole life tariff and the rush to "human rights" lessens the ensurance of any such sentences.
    While should aim to support prisoners in rehabilitation, education and meaningful employment opportunities when released.
    Some criminals will never be fit to rejoin normal society.
    I also believe that as a convicted criminal, you have been deprived of your freedom both as a punishment and to protect society from your further offending.
    Your freedom to participate in the discourse and benefits of "society" is lost.
    In pursuing the hope of transition, Huntley is using public resources to tie up solicitors, barristers judges and other resources that could be better directed towards other matters.

One person in 300 is transgendered. .

Really?

I would have thought it was much more rare than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

One person in 300 is transgendered. How much attention do we have to pay to this issue? It seems to generate an extraordinary amount of column inches.
    That number is nowhere near right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

It's a trendy cause for social media-obsessed folk these days in that it is easy to jump on the bandwagon without much thought and "block" arguments against this such as trans is a mental illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

How does that quote go again? We'll spend more and more time arguing more and more hysterically over tinier and tinier issues when the mullahs nuke us.

Not sure about the mullahs nuking us part but it does seem like the mainstream centre-left is devouring itself with these issues and then wondering why we have things like Trump and Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Nermal

Pleasing to watch the left eat itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Wait, what? How did she end up in prison in Ireland or were you a prison officer elsewhere? Either way what did she do to land in the clink?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

What the hell is up with Twitter?

Deadnaming?

What a world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

What the hell is up with Twitter?

Deadnaming?

What a world.

Twitter is like those magnetic drain plugs on a cars sump. It gradually collects all the shïte that floats around and concentrates it in one place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Really?

I would have thought it was much more rare than that?

It is much less , that stat is utter bollix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Problem is that in other areas - like in sports, all-female short-lists - transexuals are gradually swaying the situation so that they do not have to have sex-reassignment surgery or even hormones in order to identify as the opposite gender (or have I just committed a cardinal sin by suggesting gender is binary?) It was never going to be very long after that before quick-thinking psychopaths in prison decided they would self-identify as females to try for transfer - what becomes a''human right'' in one place has to be transferable, otherwise the logic of rights fails. I am sure there are quiet, inoffensive, meek trans-women prisoners who are getting a rotten time in male prisons, and it would be good if there was a separate facility for trans-sexual prisoners. Some trans-identifying prisoners are sex offenders though - not exactly known what percentage, but it is noted as significant - and they will pose a serious risk to females in prison. This will be similar to the risk posed in women's refuges if self-identifying women can enter them at will, etc. Hopefully these scenarios will bring the inherent contradictions in unrestricted gender politics to a head for all to see. I don't know what the answer is, but Ian Huntley would have none of my sympathy regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Linehan is getting very cross with everyone. There could be a dramatic account closure on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Child Murderer Huntley should have no right to anything

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

i'd let him in with the general prison population---he'd he a woman in no time, without any surgery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Linehan is getting very cross with everyone. There could be a dramatic account closure on the cards.

What happened to him. Why is he so angry all of the time?

His twitter account is pretty scary. Guy seems to spend an unhealthy amount of time having nasty arguments online.

I mean he must be 50 something years of age at this stage.

Advertisement