Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transsexual Prisoners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Neyite wrote: »
    Huntley is no more trans than I am.

How do you know? He has as much right to decide as every other person who has decided their born gender isn't for them.

Horrible crimes, disgusting human being but still should be allowed to make that decision for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,057 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

How do you know? He has as much right to decide as every other person who has decided their born gender isn't for them.

Horrible crimes, disgusting human being but still should be allowed to make that decision for himself.

Perhaps Neyite IS transgender...? How do YOU know?!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Unless that decision is based purely on an ulterior motive, of course, in which case the psychological/medical authorities would hopefully recognise this for what it probably is: a means to a move into a safer environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Is it a reboot? I'd be interested if Michael Bay wasn't directing.

Unless that decision is based purely on an ulterior motive, of course, in which case the psychological/medical authorities would hopefully recognise this for what it probably is: a means to a move into a safer environment.

And that decision is down to those authorities you mentioned, not a bunch of hypocrites online and on the street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

And that decision is down to those authorities you mentioned, not a bunch of hypocrites online and on the street.

Yes, absolutely.

I suppose the most important thing to think about is if in future he is accepted as female, what happens to him then?

Perhaps there's an argument for prisons to have some sort of transgender wing? I would still want Huntly to be very securely imprisoned, and kept away from all other prisoners, be they male, female, transgender or whoever they identify as.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The scramble to be the most woke is a pathetic spectacle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

How does anybody know. Is it always self identification?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

He's a minimum term of 40 years - it needs to be served on way or the other.

It's hard to make good law for a hard case like this, but my view of it is why bother wasting good money and elective health services on him.

Chelsea Manning was a whole other category of prisoner, in for what was basically a political crime of whistleblowing and exposing the state's wrongdoing.

Trying to compare the two people is impossible. One's someone who was trying to expose wrong and was punished extraordinarily heavily for it, the other is a child murderer. There just isn't a comparison at all.

How do you universally legislate for something like this though? Who judges?
    It's a bit of a mess.

Also, if you did put him into a women's prison, how long before it turns Prisoner Cell Block H and he's beaten to a pulp and claiming he needs special treatment and protection? Women aren't some kind of delicate flowers and many don't really have much time for violent child murders.

Someone like Huntley shouldn't really be in the normal prison population anyway. There should be a special place for that kind of prisoner. It's unfair on your average criminal to have to share space and air with someone like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

How does anybody know. Is it always self identification?

Good question actually.

I feel so I am.

How could any doctor tell a person that they're not transgender.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Yes, absolutely.

I suppose the most important thing to think about is if in future he is accepted as female, what happens to him then?

Perhaps there's an argument for prisons to have some sort of transgender wing? I would still want Huntly to be very securely imprisoned, and kept away from all other prisoners, be they male, female, transgender or whoever they identify as.

Well I'm pretty sure all jails have a section where they keep vunerable prisoners already so they should be placed in there but from what I know they would be locked up 23 hours a day which human rights would have a field day on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I don't think a prisoner with male genital should be housed in a women's prison.

I don't think a rapist (Huntley had been accused of several underage rapes before the murders), should be allowed in a women's prison.

Its not about trans rights, its about a horrible monster trying to manipulate the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Perhaps Neyite IS transgender...? How do YOU know?!

Changes every day mebbe.

Trans isn’t like other social libertarian ideologies, those are generally live and let live. Gay marriage doesn’t harm hetro marriage despite what some people claimed. Abortion is about letting women do what they want with their bodies. Without a religious belief in the humanness of the early stage foetus that was simply a no brainer.

This one comes with fairly radical consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

You know at times like these there is a lot to be said for the likes of the Chinese justice system.

In China this would never be up for debate because the scumbag that is mr huntley would have had a firing squad and the human race would have been done a massive favour.

Also the more I hear of the rabid debates and pontificating by the celebrity classes on twatt-er the more I am glad I never go near it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

GingerLily wrote: »
    I don't think a prisoner with male genital should be housed in a women's prison.

I don't think a rapist (Huntley had been accused of several underage rapes before the murders), should be allowed in a women's prison.

Its not about trans rights, its about a horrible monster trying to manipulate the rules.

problem is that it will be made (ludicrously) about trans rights. It's the absolutely logical and rational conclusion to self identification.

Why don't they house prisoners according to actual empirically-observable genitalia? You know, just to avoid rape and such.
    (Hmmm, that opens another can of worms.)
    It's very perplexing, isn't it.

And what about a future case of a young and vulnerable FtM trans prisoner who if it became practice by law to house MtF trans in women's prisons would by logical extension HAVE to be housed in male units? That would be a bloody disaster.

Burn everything. It's the only solution.

Oh, he most certainly won't be, one way or the other. In any case, I don't think the HSE (or whoever deals with this) is any way required to give him estrogen pills and other aids to help his transition

Also, your second second contradicts itself: being accused of something doesn't make you something.

Changes every day mebbe.

Trans isn’t like other social libertarian ideologies, those are generally live and let live. Gay marriage doesn’t harm hetro marriage despite what some people claimed. Abortion is about letting women do what they want with their bodies. Without a religious belief in the humanness of the early stage foetus that was simply a no brainer.

This one comes with fairly radical consequences.

Generally speaking, or specifcially to Huntley/prisoners in general?
    Malayalam wrote: »
    problem is that it will be made (ludicrously) about trans rights. It's the absolutely logical and rational conclusion to self identification.

Why don't they house prisoners according to actual empirically-observable genitalia? You know, just to avoid rape and such.
    (Hmmm, that opens another can of worms.)
    It's very perplexing, isn't it.

And what about a future case of a young and vulnerable FtM trans prisoner who if it became practice by law to house MtF trans in women's prisons would by logical extension HAVE to be housed in male units? That would be a bloody disaster.

Burn everything. It's the only solution.

Again, people have that right. No one can take it away. They can take away your right to express it, but not your ability to identify.

Generally speaking, or specifcially to Huntley/prisoners in general?

Again, people have that right. No one can take it away. They can take away your right to express it, but not your ability to identify.

I am not trying to take away people's rights to identify however they wish..as Martians, rabbits, whatever. I'm saying that there are certain unavoidable logical conclusions to gender self-identification, which includes persons with intact male organs seeking to enter and probably eventually succeeding in entering what have been previously female only spaces, such as female prisons, women's refuges, girl's dressing rooms. Likewise FtM will be able to enter male spaces, although this does not yet arise as such a flashpoint because the female's body even transitioned to male does not have the same physical strength in general. Yes, it is ultimately a question of physical capacity to inflict threat/violence/disturbance. Once we have got that far - trans women with intact male genitals freely moving in confined spaces where women are disempowered (eg prisoners with vaginas who cannot leave spaces where trans women sex offenders are now present, battered women traumatised and without other places of refuge), and it looks like we will, then we have to deal with the consequences, and they look difficult and complex from where i am sitting.

He's identifying as a transgender human, he deserves to get everything every other trans demands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Malayalam wrote: »
    then we have to deal with the consequences, and they look difficult and complex from where i am sitting.

I think more messy rather than anything else.

Of course in theory...a transition(ing)(ed) mtf prisoner would presumably have little interest in using their male sex organs, with consent or otherwise....presuming they are on the level....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

He's identifying as a transgender human, he deserves to get everything every other trans demands.

Huntley deserves the death penalty.

Not one other thing else.

\

I'm trying to remember which prison movie I saw this in, I think it was Brubaker perhaps.

Anyways, they made an implement out of 2 serving spoons I think, with which to facilitate 'gender transitioning'...prison style.

Looked something like this 319S3C6JEEL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

That's about all he should be 'entitled' to

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

neonsofa wrote: »
    Came in to see if you'd posted this story :)

#metoo

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

He left the children he murdered in a ditch

The world has gone mad lads..

But like, if you buy the whole trans rights craic this is the logical progression..

Makes a joke out of the justice system..and reality..

That dude lenihen needs to sit down and have a cup of tea or a Xanax or something..

Thank god I'm not on Twitter..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'd say Huntley is already in a segregated unt, somebody tried to murder him a few years back.

A man with his crimes wouldn't be safe to house in general population or whatever the equivalent term is.

He'd be a walking target.

Uncharted wrote: »
    Huntley deserves the death penalty.

Not one other thing else.

I wholeheartedly agree, I have 2 daughters myself but this is the snowflake generation we live in. If anyone else is able to just up and change their gender on a whim then unfortunately subhuman creatures like Huntley can do the same.

I'd say Huntley is already in a segregated unt, somebody tried to murder him a few years back.

A man with his crimes wouldn't be safe to house in general population or whatever the equivalent term is.

He'd be a walking target.

and that would be bad because.....?

oh yeah....'human' rights :(

wexie wrote: »
    and that would be bad because.....?

oh yeah....'human' rights :(

You'd still have people protesting against him receiving that sort of treatment in prison, it's a sad world we live in.

• Advertisement

wexie wrote: »
    I think more messy rather than anything else.

Of course in theory...a transition(ing)(ed) mtf prisoner would presumably have little interest in using their male sex organs, with consent or otherwise....presuming they are on the level....

I don't think that the full import of self identifying trans is understood. A person may desire to use their tackle as much as ever but still self identify as a woman - as far as I understand. For example in autogynophelia (though hush now that may be only a small part of transexualism, I ain't saying otherwise..) the thought of having sex using said tackle while identifying as a woman is the specifically arousing factor. The basic idea being fought for is that women have penises too - and they re not necessarily disinclined to use them.

Advertisement