Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D Beginner's Game: Act 1, Scene 2(b): The Hammer and Tongs

Options
  • 20-04-2018 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

Malik and Fector crashland into a monstrous, cavern like room.

Malik looks around but the light is too dim for him to make out anything.

Fector, however can see most of the room with his Infravision.

Three of the four walls - North, East and West - are covered in glowing glyphs that he cannot comprehend, from here at least.

The South Wall is blank, save for a door in the centre. A large pillar lies collapsed across it, blocking the way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Fector approaches the north wall to try get a better look at the markings on the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭The Dungeon Master

duffman13 wrote: »
    Fector approaches the north wall to try get a better look at the markings on the wall.

OOC: Roll Wis: (#d20+1) You need to get under or equal to your stat to succeed, in your case that would be 8

https://rolz.org/dr?room=The%20Meatgrinder%20Boards.ieD%26D

Fector cannot comprehend the runes. They seem to glow a little brighter as he approaches.

Fector looks towards his new room mate.

"What's your name? Can you see these strange markings on the wall? I can't make head nor tail of them"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

'The name is Malik my friend and I cant see a damn thing. I can barely see the hand in front of my face here. Although....' Malik moves closer to the runes on the wall that are glowing.

[Ooc: will pop in if i can but assume you'll hear nothing from me till tomorrow afternoon at the earliest. ]

• Advertisement

OOC: That's fine, responses will be sporadic over the weekend, RL stuff :)

The Hammer responds,

"Fector, well met my friend. It looks like we've a big challenge to get out of here. What's your knowledge of symbols like, I can see a lot of them but cant make head nor tail of them. Perhaps I can describe them to you?"

OOC: If you wish to try this, Molly I'll need a roll against Wis. Just d20, no modifiers.

The Hammer responds,

"Fector, well met my friend. It looks like we've a big challenge to get out of here. What's your knowledge of symbols like, I can see a lot of them but cant make head nor tail of them. Perhaps I can describe them to you?"
    OOC: If you wish to try this, Molly I'll need a roll against Wis. Just d20, no modifiers.

'I'll try my best Fector, describe them to me'

[OOC: rolled 19 on rolz]

Malik cannot make head nor tail of the glyphs either.

The ones on the north wall begin to glow brighter than the ones on the east and west walls.

• Advertisement

[OOC: is it bright enough yet for me to see anything?]

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    [OOC: is it bright enough yet for me to see anything?]

OOC: You can see the north wall glowing and the area closest to it. It's a big room

Having looked at the North wall, Fector had no clue as to the symbols meaning and so far Malik had proved to be unable to see them clearly. Fector heads towards the west wall to inspect it and see if the markings are the same as that of the North wall

Having looked at the North wall, Fector had no clue as to the symbols meaning and so far Malik had proved to be unable to see them clearly. Fector heads towards the west wall to inspect it and see if the markings are the same as that of the North wall

Same markings. These ones glow a bright red as Fector approaches and Malik can now make them out as well.

Same markings. These ones glow a bright red as Fector approaches and Malik can now make them out as well.

As Fector approaches the wall he can almost feel heat radiating from the wall. He approaches the was and touches the markings to see if anything happens. Fector turns to Malik

"Any bright ideas?"

Malik follows Fector across the room. 'Maybe we should try to read these ones? Is there any way out of the room that you can see?'

As Fector approaches the wall he can almost feel heat radiating from the wall. He approaches the was and touches the markings to see if anything happens. Fector turns to Malik

"Any bright ideas?"

The room lights up immediately, Malik can see all around him now.

The north wall opens and a band of dwarves with a bar on wheels roll out.

latest?cb=20160418171600

'Hey there now laddies! Come, we have a test for youse!'

They motion to two empty barstools.

The room lights up immediately, Malik can see all around him now.

The north wall opens and a band of dwarves with a bar on wheels roll out.

latest?cb=20160418171600

'Hey there now laddies! Come, we have a test for youse!'

They motion to two empty barstools.

Fector looks at Malik, thinking in his head that this might be trouble. His favourite thing in the world is a bar, but populated by the the type of people he trusts least in the world, his fellow dwarves. With little else to do he decides to pull up a seat and see what the dwarves have in mind.

He motions to Malik to follow him, at least giving the dwarves a semblance that they are a team as opposed to two strangers.

Malik nods at Fector and follows him over to the bar. He surreptitiously loosens his axe.

The dwarves look at Fector and Malik eyeing them suspiciously and laugh heartily.

'Look at ye, so pent up and mad! Come here, sit. We dinnae want ter figh' with ye laddies!'

The leader of the five dwarves pulls out a cask of ale.

'Just a wee test fer ya, brother' He says, and pours a rather red looking drink into a glass for him.

'A test to see how ye can hold yer ale - be ye man or dwarf?'

He looks at Malik, shrugs and pours a glass for him too.

'One for ye too, laddie... but ye dinnae have to take it. Tis our kin we wish to test.'

• Advertisement

[OOC: DM is there anything we can do to check this for poison?]

OOC: Roll Int

Fectors trust issues rise straight to the surface, he leans forward and grabbed the cup along with two empty cups while pulling a flask from his backpack. He takes an obvious sniff of the drink and and turns his nose up at the stench.

"Dwarf Ale" he yells, "more like elf piss to my nose." He fills two cups of Ale from his flask and hands one to the lead dwarf and one for himself.

"Its not nice to be a guest of someone and not bring a good drink to the party" Fector throws the two cups, one his own and one his hosts, down his gob whilst eyeing Maliks drink.

What no one noticed was Fector pulling up the short sword and tucking it under his right leg, ready for action should he need it.

OOC: Roll Con, Fector, d20

Malik sniffs the drink and is able to gauge from his time spent in taverns, that the drink is dragonsblood elixir, a potent drink that can cause the consumer to vomit it back up if their stomach is unable to handle it. No whiff of any poisons he knows.

The dwarf swallows both cups Hector forced down his gob, belches and laughs.

'Ye be the mistrusting type, I see!'

OOC: Fector, did you down the drinks or force them down your hosts gob? Just to clarify for my next post

OOC: Fector, did you down the drinks or force them down your hosts gob? Just to clarify for my next post

OOC: I downed two cause I'm mad and like a drink, don't judge, edit: I gave him a cup of my good stuff to drink too

Malik sniffs the drink and is able to gauge from his time spent in taverns, that the drink is dragonsblood elixir, a potent drink that can cause the consumer to vomit it back up if their stomach is unable to handle it. No whiff of any poisons he knows.

The dwarf swallows both cups Hector forced down his gob, belches and laughs.

'Ye be the mistrusting type, I see!'

Malik politely pushes the cup back from in front of him. 'Beggin your pardon and with all due respect and gratitude for the offer, but considering how we came to be in this place, I'll not be eating or drinking anything that isn't in my best interests to ingest.'

He looks at Fector in horror.

The dragonsblood elixir is too much for Fector to handle, he falls off his stool and vomits onto the floor.

The dwarves all laugh heartily.

'And ye, fighter - ye think ye're stomach be better than this laddie?'

• Advertisement

The dragonsblood elixir is too much for Fector to handle, he falls off his stool and vomits onto the floor.

The dwarves all laugh heartily.

'And ye, fighter - ye think ye're stomach be better than this laddie?'

Malik helps Fector off the floor and back onto his stool. 'sorry lads, I'm only a human. If a dwarf can't handle it, I definitely can't. And I need my wits about me for the trials ahead.'

Advertisement