Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Goose81 wrote: »
    That's exactly what it like outside my gaf, it's rain

It's exactly what it's like for me here, too, but there's been a steady - but minimal - accumulation of snow on ground and cars. Getting heavier too (south Dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭piplip87

My girlfriend annoyed because of my cover of Purple Rain..... Yellow snow yellow snow I only want to see eat my yellow snow yellow snow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Started here again just now. Fairly heavy as well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Finally stopped snowing here, more sleet/rain here now

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭policy75

Understand your frustration but places in Offaly and Longford seem to have been plastered. Very strange weather system.
    We have about 12 inches of snow here. It was suggested on the technical thread on boatds.ie and happened. But then the 4om watershed of utter catasprophe didn't quite happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

I underestimated my thirst. Could do with another few cans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Times like this I wish had one of those Dermot Bannon houses with floor to ceiling windows, massive solid fuel stove, giant tv, one of them massive corner couches... and the money to heat it all and enjoy the spectacle! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Visibility has been <200m for the last 2 hours or so with heavy pellets falling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭aidanodr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

The snow seems to be less like snow now. Some of the snow seems to have disappeared. It's now -0.4C/-2.2C which is a higher dewpoint than I've seen for a while. D11.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭DaithiMa

Dublin 15 taken by my sis. Can't believe I am stranded out West for this haha!! Hopefully we will get some action later

p68ygFm.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

MJohnston wrote: »
    It's not necessarily evaporating - more likely it is getting blown away to a place where it will get stuck (up against a wall or fence, etc.) and that's what snowdrifts are.

If the snow doesn't melt and it's light snow (as it has been for most of the snowfall over the last couple of days), then it'll act just like sand or whatever with the wind. Heavier, wetter flakes of snow would take a lot more effort to budge, but the light stuff just blows away.

My back garden is like a demonstration of this in action - one side has a snow depth of less than 1cm, the other side has a depth of about 15cm - the wind is drifting it from one side to the other.

I was looking at it outside actually evaporate on hitting the ground, very little wind and no drifting, mostly 1.5 inches all over. Should have recorded it. thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

bigger flakes starting to appear now mixed with the pellets
    checked the waterfordweather page and temp is dropping along with dew point

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

Dublin 6 we have lift off and if I walk 12 meters over a bridge so does Dublin 8 !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Started here again just now. Fairly heavy as well

Here is a great place.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Paddycrumlinman

Aspiring wrote: »
    Hopefully it's not too cold for snow
    This drives me mad, tell that to the folks living in North Dakota who, when it's -30 degrees C at any given time in winter and they wake to 6 ft of snow and are totally snowed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭KingBobby

Apologies for the o/t but whats the best way to upload pictures and video?

Its starting to howl here in D16 at 260m

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

policy75 wrote: »
    We have about 12 inches of snow here. It was suggested on the technical thread on boatds.ie and happened. But then the 4om watershed of utter catasprophe didn't quite happen
    Yeah sorry, misread your post. The 4pm deadline was a farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Could imagine a lot of roof damage if we get this metre of snow. Huge amount of weight

• Registered Users Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

wakka12 wrote: »
    Latest snow depth charts still saying dublin will have huge totals but still just ice pellets here. How could this possibly come anywhere close to a metre even if these ice pellets keep coming down until 6pm tomorrow it'll only be 3 or 4 inches Id say

Please try reading the explanations people are posting - the snow is drifting to extremes because of the high winds, meaning if you aren't seeing accumulations in your garden - sorry but you'll have to hope for some heavy, wet snow instead. Those accumulations will be somewhere nearby, probably burying some poor house with an end wall or something.

This isn't our usual snowstorm where it falls with little-or-no snow and comes straight down, and you get basically even distribution.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kn2k10

DaithiMa wrote: »
    Dublin 15 taken by my sis. Can't believe I am stranded out West for this haha!! Hopefully we will get some action later

Is that a cat or a snow spirit on the inside of that window?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭topcat72

Slow gradual accumulation here, suburban Limerick city, snowing softly since 9pm. No wind at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Goose81

I better get at least 12 deep inches before I hit the hay tonight or il be fierce cross tomorrow am

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

aidanodr wrote: »

And that folks is why a red alert was called and people told to stay indoors. Puts all the "what's the fuss" posts into perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

Calibos wrote: »
    compsys wrote: »
    It feels like you're over exaggerating. You just need to relax a bit.

I'm right beside the sea too in Monkstown and it's been "crappy ice pellets" for the past three hours also.

However, when I look out closely at the road and the cars I can see that it's definitely leading to accumulations. Even if "proper" snow didn't arrive at all tonight I'd say the level of accumulations would be quite high.

Also, if you look close enough, you'll see that it is (very fine) snow that's falling. Admittedly it would be nice to see a few big, proper flakes falling. But this is Ireland after all and we're beside the sea and it's already into spring.

The wind alone would almost warrant a warning at this stage.

I'm not complaining about warning levels or anything like that. Simply frustrated at literally zero accumulation in my corner of Bray after 3 hours of this on top of frustration at that damn easterly wind shift meaning we only got 5cm on Tuesday night and nothing at all on Wednesday.

I genuinely am going to take a xanax now LOL :D
    People need to try to understand what it's like scrolling through thousands and thousands of posts about EPIC snow when there is none in their area and the promise of 1m is 6hrs late and apparently passed overhead (with folks further east reporting whiteout) and still nothing. As a fellow snow lover Calibos, I stand with you in solidarity! 😀. Peeps we are not looking for symapthy please be gentle with us and understand our disappointment and frustration! I'll chuck a virtual snowball at you in the morning hopefully Calibos!

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

sryanbruen wrote: »

Sy you are so multitasking!! 😊😊😊😊

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

JJayoo wrote: »
    Could imagine a lot of roof damage if we get this metre of snow. Huge amount of weight

I'd imagine the strong wind would blow most of the snow off the roof

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

wakka12 wrote: »
    Go out with a black jumper on and come back in and look at your sleeves, its snowing everywhere in dublin

Its very strange acting precipitation though, the ground is clearly accumulating in D14 (only by a little bit, mind) but the car outside my house which was cleared of snow earlier in the day is still snow free now.
    Maybe blowing off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

MJohnston wrote: »
    Please try reading the explanations people are posting - the snow is drifting to extremes because of the high winds, meaning if you aren't seeing accumulations in your garden - sorry but you'll have to hope for some heavy, wet snow instead. Those accumulations will be somewhere nearby, probably burying some poor house with an end wall or something.

This isn't our usual snowstorm where it falls with little-or-no snow and comes straight down, and you get basically even distribution.

Our front garden is very exposed, walls are quite low, so accumulations huge just inside the walls but depth on the cars is only reducing due to the wind.

Back garden on the other hand is much more sheltered and has a level accumulation of nearly a foot at this stage over the grass. This afternoon's footprints are nearly covered even though all we've had is the constant shnizzle since 4pm.

The Temple Bar webcam needs a windscreen wiper :( - moisture all over the lens and snow building up on it.

Advertisement