Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 Chicago (merged)

Options
  • 23-11-2007 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Planning on going to Chicago for the Summer, does anyone have any advice on where to live, work etc??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Pops, as your new I'm sure you don't know, but it's normally good to just post a thread once in the appropriate forum and not a few times over different forums :)

I've tidied up your other posts, and left the one here where you'll probably find the best J1 advice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Find accomodation close to the Red Line in the vicinity of Wrigley Field. Failing that try Lincoln Park. I can have a look at any locations for you if you want. Just PM me. I spent two summers in Chicago. Wish I could do it again. :(

I'm not sure what bars are popular these days. Deja Vu used to be the spot but I hear it's quiet these days. Cullen's on Southport should be still good on Sunday nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

I'd love to go to Chicago but my boyfriend wants to go to NYC. What's good about Chicago that will sell it to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

ballooba wrote: »
    Find accomodation close to the Red Line in the vicinity of Wrigley Field. Failing that try Lincoln Park. I can have a look at any locations for you if you want. Just PM me. I spent two summers in Chicago. Wish I could do it again. :(

I'm not sure what bars are popular these days. Deja Vu used to be the spot but I hear it's quiet these days. Cullen's on Southport should be still good on Sunday nights.

+1 on all that. Deja Vu is some spot! Cullen's wasn't too bad either.

Wrigley Field is definitely the place to be if you're on a J1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Just back there for the summer. that was deja poo by the end of the summer lol. We we're up in the burb's by ohare. The kerry man was a good spot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

Yeah, I'm planning to go there too.I have relations and a job there but everyone I asked seems to be going to San Francisco.So I'm in two minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jame5_b

For the people who have been there before where can the best jobs be got or is it difficult to get any job over there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭scaramanga

jame5_b wrote: »
    For the people who have been there before where can the best jobs be got or is it difficult to get any job over there?
    waitering in one of the hotels off michican ave. imo. i was in the hyatt regeny in the city centre deadly tips work easy.
    ps , i got very very lucky with this job my hours were usually 2pm to 10 too:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jame5_b

scaramanga wrote: »
    waitering in one of the hotels off michican ave. imo. i was in the hyatt regeny in the city centre deadly tips work easy.
    ps , i got very very lucky with this job my hours were usually 2pm to 10 too:)

did you just drop a load of CVs into the different hotels or did you sort it out before you got there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭scaramanga

did you just drop a load of CVs into the different hotels or did you sort it out before you got there?
    na just applied when i got there , but the day i was applying to this place they were doing interviews as well so i had the job got in an hour.(as i said was very lucky)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I think you have to find the best jobs. They won't find you. Find an apartment and then walk around inquiring in local businesses. Otherwise hit downtown and Navy Pier and do the same. you may get lucky and get a job through a friend or contact but don't count on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 rookie69

Myself and a few friends are going to Chicago on a j1. We're looking at craigslist.com but have to idea what area we should be looking into staying in. I looked at a few houses locations on googlemaps but the city seems so big i don't have a clue where to start.

What area should we be looking at? I see around wrigley field was mentioned. Is there many pubs/clubs around that area? Is that close to the city centre?

What area in Chicago would be the like the O'Connell street area of Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

Was there a few years back, Lincoln Park area is great to live and close to both Wrigley Field and also the city, excellent city you lucky f*** :D

Ha yea, i was having doubts about going there at the start because i thought it'd just be like any other city i've been to. I was thinking of going to san diego for the beach lifestyle but absolutely everybody i've talked to thats been to Chicago says what an amazing city it is!! If everyones opinion is what they say it is, it's gonna be an amazing summer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rollerderby

I am from Chicago. Wrigleyville/Lakeview (same area) is a great place to live and work on a J1. You don't want to live downtown...it would be like living in the middle of the IFSC or something. All the happening spots are on the Northside. Wicker Park and Uki Village is cool too. If I was visiting for a short time I'd make sure to be reasonably close to the red line or the blue line.

Last summer my neighborbood (Wrigleyville) was swarming with irish. If anyone from ireland want's to live/work in wrigleyville I can offer tips are places that i know have hired J1s in the past.

Cheers.

I am from Chicago. Wrigleyville/Lakeview (same area) is a great place to live and work on a J1. You don't want to live downtown...it would be like living in the middle of the IFSC or something. All the happening spots are on the Northside. Wicker Park and Uki Village is cool too. If I was visiting for a short time I'd make sure to be reasonably close to the red line or the blue line.

Last summer my neighborbood (Wrigleyville) was swarming with irish. If anyone from ireland want's to live/work in wrigleyville I can offer tips are places that i know have hired J1s in the past.

Cheers.

What he said. I lived in Wrigleyville for four months in 2005 and it's the perfect spot. Great bars. Make sure you go to some baseball while you're there. Great day/night out, Best city I've been to in America

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 UCDstudent

Cheers.

Hey Rollerderby,

Im heading to chicago for the summer and hope to get some kind of apartment or house in or around wriggleyville. I havnt been there before so any tips you could offer would be invaluable.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 chicago2008baby

yeah im the same heading there end of may and any info very much appreciated!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

I'm also going:D Again tips are very welcome.Like are houses/apartments cheap enough for maybe 6 people. Any websites or personal recomendations?:)

craigslist.com is the biggest afaik. There's a load on it anyway to get you started. Make sure you stay around Lincoln Park/Wrigleyville area. Best spots for nightlife

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

don't go work in a lane bryant clothing store

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭jane86

don't go work in a lane bryant clothing store

Why?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Look for a place on the Northside, avoiding downtown and the Southside for a residence. Be extra cautious taking the L (elevated train) at night, as there have been an occasional gang problem.

Although a bit north, you might check with Northwestern University to see if they have a student exchange programme you can access, to where you can stay cheap on campus. They will be on their summer schedule and have a lot of vacancies. Also, many students leave their flats during the summer, but are required to keep their lease. Some of these go unoccupied, and would welcome a subleasee for a fraction of the monthly cost. Check with Northwestern's student union for contact information.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

jane86 wrote: »
    Why?

Cause 5 women got shot up in the store the other day.

I was being sarcastic anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

I'm off there too for the summer, on my own... just thought I'd jump on that bandwagon ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 UCDstudent

Whats the craic with getting a place to stay over there. Im hearing conflicting reports from people who say whether its better to get it sorted before you go and others who say wait till your over there and you can see what your getting.

Any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 phantomwolf

I know this sounds like a really childish question but do many girls go to chicago. Im a guy by the way

Has anyone got any accomodation sorted for chicago or are ye gonna wait till you all get there to try sort it out?

And for anyone thats been there.... i know you all say lincoln park/wrigley field area are the spots to stay, but how far north is too far out of the way from everything?

Would it be alright to stay a bit north of wrigley field stadium?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭jane86

Anyone interested in sharing accomodation??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I'm going to Chicago on my own this summer. Have a job and know the good areas to stay - Wrigleyville and Lincoln Park seem to be the two everyone mentions.

But that type of accomadation would be best for meeting people - frat house, room in apartment, hostel?

Advertisement