Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 Chicago (merged)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

I'm going on my own as well! anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

Hey,
    I'm thinking about going to Chicago for the summer, none of my friends can go because of college stuff/work stuff. Is there anyone here looking to travel over? share accomodation or anything?

I'm in my last year in ucd, 21 f.

hope this place is the right place for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

u should defo go here and do a jump

http://www.skydivechicago.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Me and about 3/4 friends are haeading to Chicago this Summer. We are all 19/20 male but methinks there is 2 girls joining the group aswell. We have no definite accommodation yet. We might have to stay in a hostel for the 1st couple of days. The girls may have accommodation secured already(from what ive heard). Feel free to P.M me or anything and i can keep you posted. The more the merrier!

We leave no man behind:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

As I mentioned in another thread I'm heading to Chicago on my own as well - have a job still need accomadation. Would be nice to have someone to look for a place with.

• Advertisement

I'm heading on my own to Chicago this year and have a couple of questions:

What hostel do most Irish students stay in, in Chicago? Or what would people here recommend? I'm hoping to meet some people when I go over there first then look for a place afterwards.

Whats the story with Taxback.com. Do you have to apply before you leave?

I got a voucher before about getting a US Sim but I lost it somehow.:( Anyone know how to go about getting a US sim for a phone? What websites, etc?

Thanks a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

Hey, heading over in about 10 days and am looking to book a hostel for a night or two to get settled. Can anybody who has been there before recommend a nice affordable hostel?
    Cheers:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 HairyGoose

Don't think have many, if any. I spent ages on the internet lookin for ones and there were none, in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

We're staying in Hostel International Chicago (think it's called that!), there wasn't a whole lot of choice there's not that many in the city

• Advertisement

Ya we are staying there aswell! Some of the reviews weren't great but some were alright. I guess you just shouldn't have high expectations going there:)

I'm staying in Hi Hostel, just arrived today. Its ok - i consider it a little expensive considering its bare minimum - not somewhere you could stay for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

Yeah that's kind of what we're expecting, A Primal Nut how's the location? That's what we're most concerned with really!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

I went to chicago in Nov last year and the HI was booked out....we ended renting a private apartment for about $350 for 4 nights...great value great location....

There is very little choice of hostels in chicago

• Registered Users Posts: 14 liam-h

stayed there for over a week last summer when looking for a house. Its a kip, but it is easy to get into the city. Also the staff were good, one manager tried to use here contacts to get us a house and jobs! Overall i would stay there again, just because there's not much choice, but not for too long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭skaterdude

Sorry if this thread has been posted but
    my friend is thinking about going on a j1 to chicago and im thinking about going with him but im not in college so it will just be like a holiday for me.

Was just wondering if anyone had any websites for people looking to share accomodation with in chicago, I have looked at a few websites but they are very out of date some go back to 2006.

Also can anyone tell me a bit about chicago, is it a good city to go out in?
    Is it cheap to live there? Is the price of drink expensive ? Is there many things to do there? and is it very hot there during the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,430 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'm heading to Chi-town with a few mates as well in the summer on the J1. I will say this much to you, be very careful about going without the visa. You won't be able to work there and the American authorithies take a very dim view of what you're intending to do. I think I'm correct in saying they will most likely ban you from ever returning if you are caught.

Otherwise best of luck with it!

Chi town?...chinatown? lol *joke*
    what do you mean caught?
    can i not stay with my friends on the j1? or do you mean if i intend on working while im over there?

I'm not entirely sure but as far as I know you can't stay there on 'holiday' for the 3 or so month period. You'll need a holiday (?) visa for that length of time I think.

You definitely won't be able to work there without the J1 so bring plenty of cash if you intend doing it.

OP- Are you planning on staying for the same amount as your friends?

If so, the maximum amount of time you can stay in the US without a visa is 90 days so you're sorted there.

Try craigslist.com for accommodation. It can get a bit tedious as a lot of palces require a minimum 6 month lease but keep digging until you find one that suits your budget and needs.

:DNearly getting sick of typing this almost every week but Chicago is one hell of a town! I did my J1 there last Summer. There is plenty to do there. Any website or book will tell you the same things to do basically. Things it might not mention is to go to 6 Flags theme park which is outside Chicago but well worth it!

It is hot there in the Summer. It gets very hot in July and August but you'll be used to it at that stage. I'd definitely reccommend getting a house/apartment with air conditioning.

Chicago is definitely a cheaper place to live than Ireland but with the current economic downturn i don't know what the current situation is like but it can't have changed that much in 6 months. Nearly every bar/club in the city have special offers every night e.g $2/$3 beers. We actually found a place that did $1 beers on Thursdays but they changed it to $2 sometime in August. That was 50c when you convert to euro. So yeah definitely way cheaper. You do have to tip though.

• Advertisement

Yeah from what I've heard Chicago is great. I've a little headache that we're planning to put a bit away when (with the help of god fingers crossed we get jobs) we start working and trip across route 66 stopping along the way in places but I can't see any landlord agreeing to let us vacate in the middle of August :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

cson wrote: »
    I'm heading to Chi-town with a few mates as well in the summer on the J1. I will say this much to you, be very careful about going without the visa. You won't be able to work there and the American authorithies take a very dim view of what you're intending to do. I think I'm correct in saying they will most likely ban you from ever returning if you are caught.

Don't scare him off! Isn't 90 days the limit? Surely it should be ok if he returns in time?

Ah he should be grand so if its 90 days. I thought it was shorter for some reason. Should be no problem then. The reason I said it is that the Americans aren't too happy with people that overstay their welcome to the point that they get banned from coming back again.

Remember though that you won't be able to work over there unless its under the counter type work wo make sure you've a whack of cash going over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Renegade28

are you saying hell have a tough time at the airport trying to convince them he doesnt intend working for 90 days? it wud suck to go all the way over and not be allowed in!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

As long as he isnt working he shouldnt have a problem. A friend of mine did the exact same thing last year.

Thanks for the replys theyr very helpfull
    Would i have a hard time convincing them im on a holiday for 90 days? 90 days is a long time, Would they be suspious of me being over there so long?
    How much money should i be thinking about bringing with me for 3 months?
    We were hoping to stay with other irish people over there is there any forums or things that people would ask about house sharing?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Renegade28

ya im going on a j1 too for the summer, should be great. im hoping to bring a friend of mine who isnt in college either so im hoping the 90 days thing is ok as long as u dont work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭yeah-buddy

Is it strict on getting into clubs and stuff if your 20?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

yeah-buddy wrote: »
    Is it strict on getting into clubs and stuff if your 20?

Think a lot of clubs let you in if you're 18,but you don't get bands to let you get served at the bar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 cathaloc2

anyone been to chicago on a j1 know anywhere to get good jobs or have any details on housing.
    if any others going to chicago wana get in contact we might but willing to share..
    i was meant to be going away with a few lads but its only two of us now and my friend leaves early august so need to get to know as many as possible

Advertisement