Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 Chicago (merged)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 j12013

i paid 1080 and then il need to pay the embassy fee too

• Registered Users Posts: 2 hannahmmoshea

Hi , me and a friend are heading to Chicago this summer too:) She has a job in a sailing club but im finding it hard to get a job. Do you thin kthe best bet is just handing out CVs when there? Also does anyone know whether the employers like a specific type of CV?

you most likely wont get a job until u arrive in the usa , but a resume is the american version of a cv, they dont like them long so keep it short and to the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Katie28G

Hey, my friend and I are heading over too!.. Heading out the 20th of may!.. :) Glad to see theres other going!.. We thought wed be the only two!.. :P Anyone been there before?!

Were going out on the 29th, has any one got accomidation sorted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Katie28G

No we dont anyway!.. wouldnt even know where to start!.. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2 hannahmmoshea

ok cool.. what are the most important things to put on the CV.. like mines like 4 pages thats because i have like certificates down and leaving cert results?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Aidan1994

Me and my friend are heading out the 20th of may aswell, looking for people to share a flat with! LOWER THE AUL RENT BAYS

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Aidan1994

Howye,

Me and my mate are heading over there in late May, looking to stay around Lincoln park or Wringleyville. We're both from the states but lived here since we were young like 6 or 7 and both or parents are irish. Looking for people to share with..

no dry****es plezzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 2 J1 Summer Living

Hi Aidan,

We offer the best accommodation in Chicago and have plenty of people who are looking to share with.

We also guarantee our J1ers a job in one of the many restaurants, bars, hotels, catering companies and festivals that we're partnered with.

Drop us a pm <mod snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Zubap64

Early days yet but thinking of heading on a J1 (Summer 2015)

I would most likely be heading on my own as friends will be 20 and don't see much point in heading over before 21. I will turn 21 two weeks after arriving, any thoughts or experiences on being under 21 over there?

Also any ideas on best locations/cities to set up in?

Has anyone any experiences of heading over on their own? was it easy to find people to house share with and easy to get to know people?

Finally any thoughts on what companies youd recommend to use for example USIT, GoforLess?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TheBoss11

I'd love to go this year myself but unfortunately I'm in the same boat as yourself, friends see not point before 21. Might end up going myself. I'm 19 btw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Had considered about going on a J1 next year but I've gone against it as I will most likely do my coop in the States in the following year so now I'm looking at going interrailing around Europe next year!

Alike others above, I don't see much point going if you're not 21 or over.

Best place to go to meet other J1-ers is probably San Diego or along the coast of California

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sophiya1992

I am going with Travel Bug. They are spot on. You pay for your flights seperate so you save 200 easily! Its 539 for everything and if you book before christmas it goes down to 419! :) I am going to either NYC or Boston with a friend so anyone heading that way is more than welcome to join! Make accomodation cheaper and also be better craic with more people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Ok, me and some of my friends are planning a J1 but we've heard some bad things about Chicago. Is the city that bad or is it just like others i.e. run down in some places but ok in others?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AnthonyFitz

Hi guys, there are a group of us (6 people) heading over to Chicago at the middle of May. I was just wondering if anybody had any suggestions with regards to accommodation, would it be financially feasible to rent a house or would that be too expensive. We have no idea where each person will be working so if people could suggest some central locations that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Becks94

Hey there is a group of 3 of us going at the end of May too in the same boat really. All we really found out so far was that student accomodation seems to be more expensive than normal houses. Wrigley field or the lakeview area is what we're looking at for the moment. Anything else anybody can tell us would be a great help :D

Think im gonna head to chicago for the summer with a couple of friends, I heard wrigglyville s the area to stay for J1ers? anyone been chicago before? is it ok to find jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭ff9999

Hi guys, what colleges are you in? I know of a very nice downtown location which is going to be a big spot for Irish students this summer in Chicago. We are coming to colleges to talk about it very soon!

Also if anyone looking to house share in chicago to keep costs down let me know, myself and two other lads heading over around 26th may or so

• Advertisement

Myself and 2 others heading out around 26th of may, i think we may have to house share to cut costs, but dont mind as it would be good craic. Have also heard wrigleyville/ Lakeview are the areas to stay for J1ers. Anyone kow what the story is with serving alcohol? i know your not able to drink til 21 but are you able to work as a waiter if under 21? heard thats where all the money is ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭ff9999

https://www.facebook.com/pages/J1-Ireland/290793311115002
    Check out J1 Ireland if you are going to Chicago - jobs and accommodation packages

• Registered Users Posts: 18 6nationschamps

hey guys me and my friend are thinking of heading to chicago aswell around them dates, im just wondering what companies did you go about booking your visa with? im really confused as i dont want to overpay on it
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

hey guys me and my friend are thinking of heading to chicago aswell around them dates, im just wondering what companies did you go about booking your visa with? im really confused as i dont want to overpay on it
    thanks
    Sayit (j1.ie) are probably the cheapest and most up-front overall (ie. no hidden costs).
    The 'program fee' is 95e but they do it for free on special promotions every few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Zubap64 wrote: »
    Myself and 2 others heading out around 26th of may, i think we may have to house share to cut costs, but dont mind as it would be good craic. Have also heard wrigleyville/ Lakeview are the areas to stay for J1ers. Anyone kow what the story is with serving alcohol? i know your not able to drink til 21 but are you able to work as a waiter if under 21? heard thats where all the money is ;)
    you can't work as a waiter if you're under 21 unfortunately. You can still make serious tips working as a 'busser' in certain places though basically just clearing tables.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭football girl

What have people done in terms of phones? Has anyone used the usit one or just signed up to a contract over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 tmkly

What have people done in terms of phones? Has anyone used the usit one or just signed up to a contract over there?

Hey,

Went to Chicago on J1 twice, loved it! Lived on the Blue line at Addison in 2012 and on the Red Line well up North in 2013.

With regards to a phone, first year I bought a cheap nokia with Cricket (by far the cheapest) but there is no equivalent to 20 euro credit deals we have hear.

Second year I went out with a unlocked iPhone and got a prepay sim with T-mobile for like $60/$70 per month.. Trust me you'll pay it. Think I got free calls & texts with like 500mb/1gb of data. Did the job.

Very jealous. Would love to be going back!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Avrilxxx

Hi I am going on a J1 this summer to Chicago, there'll be a group of about 6 of us.

Any suggestions on cheap accommodation? And places for jobs as a waitress or other jobs.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

I had 3 J1s. Chicago was my favorite one.

I worked in Navy Pier in bubba humps. They hire a lot of summer staff. Good money too. Email them and ask?

They turned everyone away that didn't have a social security card. I was lucky to have one from a previous summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 2017J1

Hi Steve,

I've after getting taken on in Bubba Gump on Navy Pier this summer. I am just wondering roughly how much did you come out with each week including tips and how many hours did you end up working?

Feel free to private message me if you'd prefer!
    Really hope to hear back cheers!

Advertisement