Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

September Indian summer possiblity

• 28-08-2014 3:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,348 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The weather atm is depressing with low pressure dominating until Friday but this will gradually fill.

In to the weekend pressure gradually builds from the south and next week looks very good by typical September standards with a lot of sunny weather and warm or even very warm at times with temperatures in to the low 20's widely. High pressure anchored to the east is set to dominate our weather steering up warm continental southeasterly winds. Monday probably the fly in the ointment. A fair bit of cloud and drizzle but that is just an interruption really from Sunday which promises a really good day with long spells of sunshine and mid summer like weather. And Tuesday on is the max we can get at this time of year really.

Summer is not over just yet although recently it's felt like it.

Also the orientation of the high pressure later on leaves open the possibility of thunderstorms from around the Bay of Biscay with dramatically increased lifted air instability and humidity. This could occur toward the end of next week as Atlantic systems try and fail to break through. It's more a typical early August event but it's something to watch.

Big change on the way. Enjoy :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

It looks like we having September before August.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Jpmarn wrote: »

Well lets hope so, otherwise it will be a very long autumn and winter!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

I always dread the start of September due to the fact that it always seems to be very warm. At this time of year I'm already looking forward to a nice bit of chilly weather. Hate that we always have to put up with this strange blip where it suddenly turns into midsummer again.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I'd say roll on the heat! We have October, November, December, January and February to look forward to for some cold (hopefully!).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Jpmarn wrote: »

Its become the most predictable element of our climate nowadays. Looking very summery now for the start of September on this mornings runs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It will be cold long enough, August has been very disappointing, the rain was needed, but the mean air temperatures have been 1.8c lower here compared to the last two years.

A bit of heat and settled weather will do us all a bit of good.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

Why do people wish for cold weather? can't understand it, i do like a bit of it but we've had a terrible august and we're rolling into autumn and then winter... there's plenty of time for cold weather just not now!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Video wrote: »
    Why do people wish for cold weather? can't understand it, i do like a bit of it but we've had a terrible august and we're rolling into autumn and then winter... there's plenty of time for cold weather just not now!

Why do people wish for hot weather??? It can be extremely uncomfortable and stuffy when it's hot....some people like cold weather, others like hot weather, others like both - simples!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,322 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I'd say roll on the heat! We have October, November, December, January and February to look forward to for some cold (hopefully!).

and probably March, April and May too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

leahyl wrote: »
    Why do people wish for hot weather??? It can be extremely uncomfortable and stuffy when it's hot....some people like cold weather, others like hot weather, others like both - simples!

Some of us are warm blooded, others are cold...

Fact is we will be cold long enough :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

I am really only cold for about one month - usually November. That is the time when you need to acclimatise your clothes and outlook to the cold. Once I am "used to" the cold, I don't have any issue with it. I have some great layers, jumpers, jackets and hats that I love to wear on 'cold' days.

By December I am nearly looking forward to the Christmas Day dip in Salthill!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Some people have health problems that are exacerbated by warm weather, so it's understandable that they wish for cooler conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I find the older I get the more I crave the heat. Ireland's climate is not a good one for old bones:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭secman

And our Indian Summer will start when ? And will last for ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

secman wrote: »
    And our Indian Summer will start when ? And will last for ?

Sunday and January.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭pauldry

Will last for most of next week gradually breaking after September 7th

• Registered Users Posts: 21,923 ✭✭✭✭Esel

My possibly limited/mistaken understanding of an Indian summer does not encompass a max 10 day period of unseasonal weather over the August/September cusp.

I would have thought longer/later?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Sorry to be the downer, I'm hoping this heatwave passes off as much as anyone, but what impact is Hurricane Cristobal going to have? It appears to be tracking straight up towards Iceland on the latest model runs:

083724W5_NL_sm.gif

BAMM has it tracking North of us instead:

at201404_model.gif

What impact is this going to have? If any?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭highdef

The nice warm weather is what will result in ex-Hurricane Cristobal heading up towards Iceland. It is this low pressure system that will suck up sub tropical air over Ireland and the UK and is also partly the reason for the pressure to build over us as we go through next week.

So hurricanes can be good for us sometimes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

22c just now in Arklow-beautiful day altogether
    Summers back \○/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

whitebriar wrote: »
    22c just now in Arklow-beautiful day altogether
    Summers back \○/

had about 3 hours of nice weather here in Tipp this morning. Its now windy wet and cool. August has been very disappointing in this part of the world. We haven't had any decent weather really since mid to late July. At this stage any kind of semi warm bright weather will constitute an Indian summer but I'll believe it when I see it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

It's been largely overcast but very warm in Cork today with a light shower too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

huge improvement in the weather today, first day Ive been able to go outside in a t-shirt since the 1st of August, today reached 20C, easily the highest temperature of the month and on the last day of August as well!.

Met eireann mentioned the word "fresh" a couple of times during their bulletin....not exactly what I had in mind for an "Indian summer"............especially after the 'August heatwave'

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Looking at the charts it would suggest a relatively calm spell next week up until Fri, breezy then for a few days and wet sometime around Sunday/ Monday. Avg. to warm temps up until Fri ( some fine days and a couple of chilly nights (with the possibility of a touch of frost midweek ).Best temps around Thurs, Fri and Sat. but possibility of showers developing the weekend , me thinks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,348 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The sun has arrived. A nice evening. A little disappointed with today but it looks fairly good from now on. Still some cloudy periods from time to time but very pleasant over all. Temperatures away from windward coasts getting in to the low 20's at times and dry for the rest of the week and weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

The sun has arrived. A nice evening. A little disappointed with today but it looks fairly good from now on. Still some cloudy periods from time to time but very pleasant over all. Temperatures away from windward coasts getting in to the low 20's at times and dry for the rest of the week and weekend.
    Nothing disappointing in the sunny southeast.Smashing day in Arklow ,gin blue skies,from sunrise all day!
    Temp peaked at 20.6c in a light sea breeze

• Registered Users Posts: 23,348 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Yeah I saw that on satellite through the day. Lucky so and so's. North of Wicklow was grey and depressing really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Yogosan

I walk very very quickly and I walk very often. Even during the coldest wetest days in winter, I usually end up taking off my jumper after a few minutes because I get so warm while walking. I walk past people with umbrellas and massive coats in the wind and rain, while I'm wearing a t-shirt! I just can't walk slowly, I am incapable of it.

That's why I like the cold.

• Advertisement

ME not so optimistic about this Indian Summer. Thurs and Friday look a bit meh and the weekend looks cool.

Advertisement