Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September Indian summer possiblity

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the mild/warm weather is great, the cold can wait till it's cold enough to snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Now that I think of it, I seem to recall saying to people after the first falls of snow of 26th Nov-26th Dec 2010, how amazing it was how it was literally only a few weeks ago that we had experienced near T-Shirt weather. ie. That we'd had a very mild October, first 3 weeks of November Autumnal and then Boom!!!! WINTER SNOW!!

Am I imagining that? Was Oct 2010 very mild?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 freelife2014

I hope so. I like cold weather:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Rikand wrote: »
    Daily Fail reporting that we need to be prepared for an Indian October :)
    Octember is the correct month for that native-American summer, imo.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Calibos wrote: »
    Now that I think of it, I seem to recall saying to people after the first falls of snow of 26th Nov-26th Dec 2010, how amazing it was how it was literally only a few weeks ago that we had experienced near T-Shirt weather. ie. That we'd had a very mild October, first 3 weeks of November Autumnal and then Boom!!!! WINTER SNOW!!

Am I imagining that? Was Oct 2010 very mild?

First half of October was mild with above average temperatures, second half was colder with several frosts and below average temperatures.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I remember the start of October 2010 being very mild/warm, i remember sitting on the grass in a t-shirt during college with many others sitting out in the sun, i think it reached 21C for a few days in the Dublin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I'll take this weather while were getting it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

September October Indian summer possibility........
    This is incredible for the time of year! Surely this means into the twenties? Hopefully it comes off.
    http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2014092312/ECM0-192.GIF?23-0

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I have never swam in the sea in October that's going to change by the looks of things

ECM FI showing 13-14 degree 850 temps over Ireland on Oct 2nd.

VeHWaw1.png

A long way off and unlikely to verify, but I think you might see temperatures up to around 23 with that given the time of year. 25.2 is the all time October record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I want Autumn weather!!! :mad:......:o

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

leahyl wrote: »
    I want Autumn weather!!! :mad:......:o

November 11th-17th I've heard. Tickets from the usual outlets.

Winter resumes its residency thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

I have never swam in the sea in October that's going to change by the looks of things

Up to last weekend the sea was lovely.... prob still about 14/15 degrees, nearly nicer in than out ! Looking forward top a dip this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Gonzo wrote: »
    I remember the start of October 2010 being very mild/warm, i remember sitting on the grass in a t-shirt during college with many others sitting out in the sun, i think it reached 21C for a few days in the Dublin area.

I remember cutting the grass in November that year, then 2-3 weeks later....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

November '10 was weird and I doubt if we'll ever see anything like it again in our lifetime. One of the strangest sights I've ever seen (meteorologically speaking) was the last of the autumn leaves falling on to lying snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Very warm air aloft now (for later today) and the question is one of how much mixing might occur, the earlier indications for Friday have shifted more to today's time frame although I'm not convinced that Friday would be necessarily much cooler as greater mixing will compensate for cooler support.

Looking at Nov 2010, remember too that the first five or six days of that month were quite mild, I recall days near 17 C and nights near 13 C for a while, then there was a strong wind event around the 12th, before the circulation began to change gradually to the major trough feature over the eastern half of the Atlantic and western Europe. That cold spell developed gradually from a near-normal northeast flow around the 15th to 18th or thereabouts.

More FI fun from the ECM this morning...

97Rt04m.png

Which would be a +12 degree 850 temperature anomaly for October in these parts.

Jlwx42A.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

Does thread title have to now include October Indian Summer possibility

As things stand 20c is not at all out of the question for the first week of October. Could even get a 21 or 22 somewhere in Ireland.

September has seen some remarkably dry weather in Sligo however I have
    had warmer Septembers. I was wondering how this could be but as I look through the last 26 days with 23 of them completely dry I see a good number of them has single digit NIGHT temperatures thereby negating the high daytime values e.g in other years I had 17 and 12 by night a lot but clear skies have put 2014 in a position of 20 and 8 by night a lot which is actually a lower average or IMT as its called in these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

pauldry wrote: »
    Does thread title have to now include October Indian Summer possibility?
    I thought October (i.e not September) was a must for this?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

Esel wrote: »
    I thought October (i.e not September) was a must for this?

For America, it is, but we're further north than them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

November '10 was weird and I doubt if we'll ever see anything like it again in our lifetime. One of the strangest sights I've ever seen (meteorologically speaking) was the last of the autumn leaves falling on to lying snow.

As I understand it, November 2010 was primarily caused by a gigantic block above Greenland which basically didn't move for most of the month. What kind of factors lead to that happening? Stationary pressure areas seem to be very rare once you get out of the subtropics, we had one last summer over Ireland but again it seems to be a very unusual occurrence.

I seem to remember a thread suggesting that with the stratosphere unexpectedly warms up over a short period, it can lead to such anomalies?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

In North America, the term Indian Summer is generally associated with warm spells after the first frost, with the leaves fully turned colour, and so is usually well into October and for southern states probably November. Intervals that I recall being described as Indian summer in the Great Lakes region might include most of Oct 1963 and 1971, and a period from late Oct to Nov 10 1975 ending with the "Edmund Fitzgerald" windstorm. It would be unusual to hear anyone speaking of Indian summer in September because normally the weather is more like a continuation of late summer and the leaves are not turning, nor has there been a frost, most years.

The term, as some here might have already posted, appears to have begun with the pioneers about two centuries ago. They became used to these spells of hazy warm weather with smoky haze that they learned was associated with massive burning of grasslands. Whether or not they were correct, they linked that to the activities of the Indian people who lived in those regions. Quite possibly the smoke haze was actually from more distant western forest fires which would have raged quite unchecked back in those decades. Anyway, the terminology seems to have drifted a bit off course in its European usage, and seems to show up more in September, without any real reason to associate it with Indians at all. But that's your problem more than mine, I am quite busy these days fighting largely pointless battles with anal retentives over precise meanings of other words, which is why I keep disappearing in September, once the grass burning season, now the internet freedom of speech defense season. Still a lot of crap in the air, anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Well this mostly warm settled spell is on the way out,thought it would never end. Becoming much cooler and more unsettled. Some proper autumn weather later this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I need it to be warm and dry on Friday.

MT. Cranium can you arrange this for me please.
    I don't want 6 four year old in the house with their parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Lashing here in D8. Seems weird to see rain falling so heavily

20 here in Waterford today. Lovely sunny day. Hard to believe its almost October when you're outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

pad199207 wrote: »
    Lashing here in D8. Seems weird to see rain falling so heavily

There was nothing at all over Wicklow and then this random little rain cell pops up over Tallaght and buckets the city. Built up out of nowhere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

I need it to be warm and dry on Friday.

Current indications are that you're going to be disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Its nearly over folks! Tomorrow is the last mild day and by Friday it'll be pissing down :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Its nearly over folks! Tomorrow is the last mild day and by Friday it'll be pissing down :(

What about all the talk of a hot October

Advertisement