Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New route for Rebel Tour 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

Well if they want to drastically slash the numbers of entrants they've picked the right routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Agreed. They've just added 2 hours on to the drive to the start. Unless you live in west cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

A nice way to start the sportive, a wee climb of 8km @ 3.4% :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Very strange idea to put the starting point 90 Kms from Cork, the die hards will make the effort to venture down but it's hardly going to encourage any new and undecided cyclists to sign up.
    I know this year the An post series have varied the routes of the various sportives they run which is a good thing but to my knowledge this is the only one that has moved hook line and sinker to a whole new location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

For anyone curious:

55k route
    http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/97331137

85k route
    http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/97370293

The 55k route is an out and back. Not nearly as enjoyable as a loop imo, and with big numbers of cyclists on both sides of the road, I imagine any motorists will be that bit extra peeved at it.

I understand wanting to move it to glengariff from a scenery perspective, but having the start so far from Cork will have a huge impact on numbers. I wonder will they have taken into account that nearly everyone that does it will drive to the start point, and have sorted parking etc...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Class, pure unadulterated class.

While Glengariff is a little bit out of the way, the route chosen is absolutely spectacular. It is comprises two of my favourite training routes combined into a figure of 8.

Anyone who does this will not be disappointed - The ring of Beara taking in the Healy Pass has some truly iconic cycling.

BTW I have never done a rebel tour and have no connection with the organisers. I hope to do this one however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I for one am signing up because of the new route, smashing countryside altogether, some of my favourite cycling roads. Healy pass is really beautiful.

I know the Caha Pass right of the bat isn't ideal but, get highest climb in while fresh!:D:eek:

I live beside Cork and haven't ever bothered the other years but have always except for honeymoon done Waterford and Burren spins.

I think the 55/60k spin out and back to Kenmare is awful and way too much climbing for typical 60k cyclists.

All in all I can't wait, wonder are they going to rename it "Kingdom West Cork Tour" anyone? "Ring Of Beara Cycle"?;)

Very strange idea to put the starting point 90 Kms from Cork, the die hards will make the effort to venture down but it's hardly going to encourage any new and undecided cyclists to sign up.
    I know this year the An post series have varied the routes of the various sportives they run which is a good thing but to my knowledge this is the only one that has moved hook line and sinker to a whole new location.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Looks like a nice route, get to cycle some roads I haven't done before.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to push the sign on / start till a bit later in the morning than normal for a sportive to accommodate people who have to travel (most people), that way hopefully keeping the numbers up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

I think with that route, it's got potential to be one of the best sportives in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

This is a great location, hopefully, I'll be there! I remember doing a ring of Beara sportive many years ago, it left from a hotel in Kenmare, fantastic route. Twice over the Healy Pass is going to be fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

jinkypolly wrote: »
    Well if they want to drastically slash the numbers of entrants they've picked the right routes.

Might be great riding, but it's the arsehole of Ireland; Miles from everywhere! I've nae car and even if I did, I'm not sure I could be bothered with the drive each way (and that's only to the city).

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Yaaa now thats a cycle route. I cant wait for it. As for the driveing long distance I have left home from west Cork at 3.30 in the morning to get to events and to do what I love doing most. If ye make the effort it will be worth it. Some of the best views in the world on a finre day.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭kingoffifa

Yaaa now thats a cycle route. I cant wait for it. As for the driveing long distance I have left home from west Cork at 3.30 in the morning to get to events and to do what I love doing most. If ye make the effort it will be worth it. Some of the best views in the world on a finre day.

i am from beara - mighty mighty beara.

and what he said. awesome place to cycle or just to look at :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

I'm well up for this, timing is perfect, after (hopefully) the harvest but before we start sowing again and in a fabulous part of the country.

Someone just needs to organise the weather now......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

The route will be fantastic. Just hoping to convince the family to make it a weekend away. Stayed over the weekend in Kinsale last year which worked well. I definitely won't be making it a day trip from Kilkenny. Some posters are inviting a row with less than flattering comments about where west cork is. I can't believe they got away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

Would love to do this, had always wanted to do the Healy pass. The conor pass challenge is one the same day and is closer to home. Tough choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

ashleey wrote: »
    The route will be fantastic. Just hoping to convince the family to make it a weekend away. Stayed over the weekend in Kinsale last year which worked well. I definitely won't be making it a day trip from Kilkenny. Some posters are inviting a row with less than flattering comments about where west cork is. I can't believe they got away with it

dont worry, we know where they live!;)

http://www.facebook.com/#!/events/252606124827790/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

Might be great riding, but it's the arsehole of Ireland; Miles from everywhere! I've nae car and even if I did, I'm not sure I could be bothered with the drive each way (and that's only to the city).

The "arsehole of Ireland"? miles from everywhere? Its an hours handy drive from the city, its not half as bad as your making out. I can tell the people who are giving out clearly have never been to the area, its an absolute cracker! I know the area very well as I live in Bantry myself,10 mins away from Glen. I might make this my first sportive if I manage to get my ass in gear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

I think that is cracking route and it would be well worth getting up an hour earlier to get down to Glengariff...
    Looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

Registered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Where would people suggest to stay overnight for easy access on the morning of the cycle?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

Anywhere, it's still only 90minutes max from Cork on the morning. Beautiful, beautiful part of the country for a sportive. I hope they get a good turnout. Y'know, the last two An Post Rebel Tours have been mediocre at best - the first made a terrible mistake of bringing everyone through the city centre at the end, and the route is fairly uneventful bar the loop around the Old Head.

Hopefully this one is well organised. Good grub, good turnout and good weather would make this one of the most spectacular Sportives of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

mel.b wrote: »
    Where would people suggest to stay overnight for easy access on the morning of the cycle?

In Bantry there is the Maritime hotel or the Westlodge which both are about 20Km's from the start in Glengariff, Westlodge have an offer on at the moment http://www.groupon.ie/deals/getaways/westlodge-hotel/7379252 if thats any good to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭kingoffifa

in glengarrif itself:

http://eccleshotel.com/

only ever seen the inside of it for weddings. old hotel with a nice bar anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

mel.b wrote: »
    kingoffifa wrote: »
    in glengarrif itself:

http://eccleshotel.com/

only ever seen the inside of it for weddings. old hotel with a nice bar anyway :)

I booked in to Eccles this morning, we stayed there last year and it was fine.

Sign on is there on the Friday night so that's handy too.

Bantry is no distance away though so the hotels/B&Bs there would be a good option too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Went down to this 2 years ago and hoping to go back again but after the Tour De Burren I am sceptical about a mass start up the Caha Pass so will head for the Blasket Blast instead.

Don't think its a good idea putting so many up a hill at the start of a sportiff but will head down over the summer to do the route and see the scenery that all are talking about in the thread. Never done the Healy pass before and twice looks like a good spin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

You are worrying over nothing.
    Caha Pass is 8km long.
    I have been up it 3 times with over 100 cyclists. It will spread out very quickly. Steepest part of the climb ( drag actually) is at the very start.
    Also in Ring Of Kerry, An Post Tour of Waterford and Wicklow 200, literally 1000s of cyclists head up Molls Gap, Powers the Pot, Seskin Hill, Slieve Maan and Shay Elliott without much trouble.

These other sportifs are so large that there are hundreds of people sharing the climb. I mean one of the purposes of sportifs is to cycle with so many other folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

Maybe you would like it to finish outside your front door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

codie wrote: »
    Maybe you would like it to finish outside your front door.

It almost did last year! :)

I know it's good riding country, scenic and what not: I meant more that it's the far end of the country, so not easily accessible, rather than a blanket 'West Cork is crap' statement that some seem to have read into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭ChewyLuey

It almost did last year! :)

I know it's good riding country, scenic and what not: I meant more that it's the far end of the country, so not easily accessible, rather than a blanket 'West Cork is crap' statement that some seem to have read into it.

Are you sure it's West Cork is the a**ehole of Ireland ? ;)

Advertisement