Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New route for Rebel Tour 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 PVMC

Most of Bantry to Glen is lovely new velvety soft tarmac with gentle hills, excellent warm up before hitting caha pass.

You've done it now. The council boys will have chippings scattered on it by the weekend:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

need a roll call:

me at 85km
    Me @ 85km

• Registered Users Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭nilhg

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Me @ 85km

I'm booked for the 160, hoping there will be a slow group forming at the back:D

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snottybridge

signed up for the 160,that could change depending on the weather on the day,those climbs look tough enough,having never cycled in those parts before not sure whats ahead of me,but sure isnt that the beauty of cycling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Hoping to do 160, but weather dependent tbh. It's been over 5 weeks since I have spent 5hours on a bike. Did 3.5 hours Friday and found it tough.
    If I do 85 I will cycle to and from home making it 135km in total.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭AaronB

signed up for the 160,that could change depending on the weather on the day,those climbs look tough enough,having never cycled in those parts before not sure whats ahead of me,but sure isnt that the beauty of cycling.

Gonna be fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Undecided on which route to do. Been cycling for nearly a year and the longest cycle i've done so far has been the ROK, how does this compare to the rebel 160KM route and would it be to much for a newbie ?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

Is there anywhere nearer Cork city that comes close to matching that opening climb, 5 mi (8kms) @ 3.4% ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

need a roll call:

me at 85km

I registered for the Rebel Rider 85km a few days ago alright. Awaiting clearance for the day off work now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

jinkypolly wrote: »
    Is there anywhere nearer Cork city that comes close to matching that opening climb, 5 mi (8kms) @ 3.4% ?

Whats the airport hill like. I know its short but the gradient would be about right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Undecided on which route to do. Been cycling for nearly a year and the longest cycle i've done so far has been the ROK, how does this compare to the rebel 160KM route and would it be to much for a newbie ?

The RoK is an easy cycle compared to this,plenty of flat on the RoK plus 2 average climbs, this is pretty severe, almost no flat and a few long drags not classed as climbs, plus the categorized climbs, a pretty hard day on the bike guaranteed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

The RoK would be like a velodrome in comparison!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭AaronB

The RoK is an easy cycle compared to this,plenty of flat on the RoK plus 2 average climbs, this is pretty severe, almost no flat and a few long drags not classed as climbs, plus the categorized climbs, a pretty hard day on the bike guaranteed.

He is right! the 2nd ring is where the fun really starts, then you have to go back up the healy pass for a 2nd time. :) Oh i love the pass!

I cycle it every week, we'll be putting in a practice run this Sunday hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

thanks for the advice, better stick to the 85 km route i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

had a blast off the caha pass last friday then cycled upto the healy pass , going to be tough but savage scenery. want to be well warmed up by the start

Has anybody had a good look at the route for the 85km ride, is it right? The foodstop appears to be down an old boreen.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/97370293

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

jinkypolly wrote: »
    Has anybody had a good look at the route for the 85km ride, is it right? The foodstop appears to be down an old boreen.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/97370293

web site says the 85km food stop (FS) is in Tuosist with water stops (WS) at Caha Pass & Healy Pass

BailMeOut wrote: »
    web site says the 85km food stop (FS) is in Tuosist with water stops (WS) at Caha Pass & Healy Pass

Yes that's right it does say that.

shaka wrote: »
    had a blast off the caha pass last friday then cycled upto the healy pass , going to be tough but savage scenery. want to be well warmed up by the start

Yeah just been looking at the map there. The start will really break up some groups I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Yeah just been looking at the map there. The start will really break up some groups I'd say.

deliberate i wonder, thin out the herd?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

kerry4sam wrote: »

Any word on numbers signed up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭Masala

They 85km is definitely tougher than the Ring of Kerry for a 1st timer to cycling like me!!!

Done it recently and found it a HARD 85kms!! You can do 85 kms nearly without thinking about it if you on a straight road ... but this 85 route is a 'slog'!!! A good all-round workout !

BUT...... I'm looking forward to it!!

possibly alright.
    GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Any word on numbers signed up?

I haven't heard as of yet anyways.
    Masala wrote: »
    They 85km is definitely tougher than the Ring of Kerry for a 1st timer to cycling like me!!!

Done it recently and found it a HARD 85kms!! You can do 85 kms nearly without thinking about it if you on a straight road ... but this 85 route is a 'slog'!!! A good all-round workout !

BUT...... I'm looking forward to it!!

Bring it on! eh :)

The An Post Cycle Series, supported by An Post and the Irish Sports Council, encourages communities around the country to get on their bikes.

With routes catering for everyone from the serious amateur to the enthusiastic beginner, the Series is a great way for family, friends and work colleagues to spend a day of fun together while the serious rider can follow a more challenging route.

It looks to me that this route has been chosen by one of those 'serious amateurs' with no concern for less active, less committed cyclists. I always thought this cycle series was about getting more people out on their bikes no matter what age, size or level of ability. As much as this route may appeal to many on this forum, myself included, I find it may be a disincentive to many of the people that these sportives are supposed to target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

There are Sportifs to cater for all kinds.
    I'm sorry, but while the 85km loop isn't exactly a walk in the park it's not exactly difficult either. It's tough, that's all.
    There are two 6km climbs and loads of rolling roads.
    Of the two climbs the last km of the Healy Pass gets up to 10%.

It's no tougher than that.

If cyclists can't do an 85k loop with a few medium climbs then they need to do a bit more time in the saddle before signing up to events.

I will grant you that the 160 route is hard, that's due to a combination of length, having four severe ramps out on the peninsula plus three 6km climbs.

Genuinely not trying to be mean spirited, as I am not so good on the hills. But almost anyone who cycles semi regularly will do the 85km route without too much bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

Now an option to register at Ballincollig rugby club on Thursday
    That gives me an extra hour of sleep next sat :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Caha pass at the start Definitely designed to thin out the herd , both caha and Healy pass aren't that bad just long . Going to do 160 but probably head off earlier than rest of my club and let them catch which will probably be allihies . I'm a big guy so if I can get up these climbs without a granny gear anyone can :) Healy pass second time round will be a b#%$h, few drags from between Castletown allihies and ardgroom Before that

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pabbo

some people are never happy, crying about driving a few miles out of their way, I am travelling from monaghan which is 550km to glengarriff, so you moaners just get on with it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

hope the herd use their heads on the first hill, and keep it together, as you will need as much sit in as you can get , on a 160K route,

to loose the group so early will make it a very lonng day in the saddle,

usually groups stay together for the first 60 K at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭kingoffifa

pabbo wrote: »
    I am travelling from monaghan

wow. you must really like Irish Scenery... :)

well done for doing this. i hope you enjoy it when you get down. for what it is the area is very very pretty.

Advertisement