Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New route for Rebel Tour 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sibeen99

ROK ON wrote: »
    There are Sportifs to cater for all kinds.
    I'm sorry, but while the 85km loop isn't exactly a walk in the park it's not exactly difficult either. It's tough, that's all.
    There are two 6km climbs and loads of rolling roads.
    Of the two climbs the last km of the Healy Pass gets up to 10%.

It's no tougher than that.

If cyclists can't do an 85k loop with a few medium climbs then they need to do a bit more time in the saddle before signing up to events.

I will grant you that the 160 route is hard, that's due to a combination of length, having four severe ramps out on the peninsula plus three 6km climbs.

Genuinely not trying to be mean spirited, as I am not so good on the hills. But almost anyone who cycles semi regularly will do the 85km route without too much bother.

I was starting to worry about having signed up for this but your post has eased my mind some small bit. Maybe I can start looking forward to it now. How bad can those hills be eh? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭AaronB

They are ok, just take your time at the start and try stay sitting. the Caha pass will make it a slow start then its all easy til you hit the healy pass, pace yourself going up as the last 100m are steep and then its easy back to glengrarriff.

You'll be fine, gonna be a great day!

The 160KM is a difference story :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

AaronB wrote: »

Luvly jubly bring it on...............:D

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sibeen99

AaronB wrote: »
    They are ok, just take your time at the start and try stay sitting. the Caha pass will make it a slow start then its all easy til you hit the healy pass, pace yourself going up as the last 100m are steep and then its easy back to glengrarriff.

You'll be fine, gonna be a great day!

Thanks,
    it's a little hard not to worry. I really don't want to be the person that has to push their bike up the hill :(. Dropped my bike in to be servised today so hopefully that will magically make it more powerful :rolleyes: Who am I kidding?

Best of luck with the 160!!! Rather you than me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Looks like ive the beginnings of a chest infection, really hope i can shift it before saturday :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Just registered now for the 160km. I did the Sean Kelly 160km a few weeks ago and I reckon the Rebel Tour climbs will be a little easier than the SK ones. Did the Caha Pass from both sides a few years ago and the Healy Pass from Ardigole only. Didn't find the HP too bad from that side due to the switchbacks but I remember it being steep enough going down the opp side.

Hope they have plenty of med/large jerseys, unlike the SKT where they ran out.

Probably wear my Boards jersey anyway.

Edit. Note-- Entries close this Wed. 12th Sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

just entered for the 85k and the wife's doing it too - can't wait now! long auld drive down, but it'll be worth it for the scenery alone!
    Met eireann talking about high pressure building from Thursday so fingers crossed it sticks around for the whole weekend now!
    YR forecast looking good too:
    http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Munster/Kenmare/long.html
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

Signed up for the 160k, its on my doorstep and I've cycled most of the route. Some cracking climbs and great decents, what more do you want?! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

andy69 wrote: »
    just entered for the 85k and the wife's doing it too - can't wait now! long auld drive down, but it'll be worth it for the scenery alone!
    Met eireann talking about high pressure building from Thursday so fingers crossed it sticks around for the whole weekend now!
    YR forecast looking good too:
    http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Munster/Kenmare/long.html
    :cool:

Ya forecast looks decent, dry and no wind will do, been down there(not cycling) on a few bad days and no thank you, deffo got to bring the pocket camera, spectacular scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Frere Jacques

I've decided to enter the 160 though I haven't had a chance to train, so this week I'm using the "Southpark Montage" method of training. Did 35k of hills yesterday and 50k this morning, (beautiful morning). Going to give tomorrow morning a break and do 50 on the flat tomorrow evening. Then rest for two days eating lots of pasta. The body isn't in the worst shape so I'm hoping if I take it handy I'll just about crawl over the Healy pass the second time. I'm more worried about the ramps out by the Cods Head to be honest.

If all goes to wreck (strained muscle etc), I'll have the tea after the first Healy pass spin and then head for Glengarriff, making sure I'm not first home.
    I'm sure people are reading this going, what a stupid way to approach a Sportive but
    a: Didn't have a chance to train, family and all that.
    b: This is my last big spin of the year.
    c: Not carrying extra weight anymore.
    d: Nothing at all wrong with people taking the shorter option, I don't want to sound like a tosser, but I should be able to do the longer one with a few visits on the day to Mr.Pain's house.
    Slow and steady.
    Hope the weather stays fine and everyone has a great and safe day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭ChewyLuey

dvntie wrote: »
    Now an option to register at Ballincollig rugby club on Thursday
    That gives me an extra hour of sleep next sat :-)

Thats good news. Where did you see that btw ? Can't find anything about it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

ChewyLuey wrote: »
    Thats good news. Where did you see that btw ? Can't find anything about it

I received an e-mail about registration & general info with the new option to register on Thursday added in :)
    Every participant must report for sign on to;

o Ballincollig Rugby Club, Ballincollig, Co Cork on Thursday 13th form 5-8pm or

o the Eccles Hotel, Glengarriff on Friday 14th from 5-8pm or Saturday 15th from 8am to 11.15am

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭ChewyLuey

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I received an e-mail about registration & general info with the new option to register on Thursday added in :)

Nice one. I haven't got that one but that makes it alot easier to get registration out of the way on Thursday evening and focus on "getting the game face on" on Saturday morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Some cracking climbs and great decents, what more do you want?! lol

Some more cracking climbs and great decents......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Frere Jacques

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    Some more cracking climbs and great decents......:D

Once they are planned decents, not the ones caused in the middle of the Caha pass by the Pillock who forgot to lift his tinted glasses before entering the tunnel.:D

Does lemsip contain any banned substances? Hope we dont get tested at the (rebel) tour :)

Anyway, my rich tea biscuit were probably contaminated!!

Go away you damn tickley cough!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

dvntie wrote: »
    Now an option to register at Ballincollig rugby club on Thursday
    That gives me an extra hour of sleep next sat :-)

I see this is now confirmed on the website which is great.
    What's the general opinion, will the goodie bags will be available at this sign in, or will we still have to pick them up in Glengarriff on Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

Email I got said goody bag at sign in, i.e. Ballincollig if you do it on Thurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

jinkypolly wrote: »
    I see this is now confirmed on the website which is great.
    What's the general opinion, will the goodie bags will be available at this sign in, or will we still have to pick them up in Glengarriff on Saturday?

damn! I'm commuting today... Where the deck am I gonna put the goody bag?
    :rolleyes:

I see the bags are not musettes this year, looks like it's Maher sports carrier bags.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=412301155500120&set=a.412300035500232.97118.168134863250085&type=1&permPage=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭Masala

Anyone know what fitting the jersey is.... will there be an opportunity to try the various size before walking away with a wrong size???

Just queueing up to sign in there now on da collig :)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭guym

Not heading down till Saturday morning but have a buddy who is heading down Friday. Anyone know would it be possible for him to sign in for me also on the Friday?

guym wrote: »
    Not heading down till Saturday morning but have a buddy who is heading down Friday. Anyone know would it be possible for him to sign in for me also on the Friday?
    Saw a woman register for 5 people, so no prob there id say ....

Hate to say but the content of the goodie bags is well ahead of the SKT

Jersey
    Nature valley bars
    Berocca boost sample
    Cadbury wunderbar
    Centra isotonic drink
    Bottle of water
    Luttle bag of jellies
    Sports bottle(bidon - spelling?)

And the numbers are stickers rather than pinned pn to jersey

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »

Jersey
    Nature valley bars
    Berocca boost sample
    Cadbury wunderbar
    Centra isotonic drink
    Bottle of water
    Luttle bag of jellies

...cool :)
    did ye happen to notice if they have Small and XS sizes in the Jerseys by any chance? Wifey will go mad if there are only Mediums!

andy69 wrote: »
    GT_TDI_150 wrote: »

Jersey
    Nature valley bars
    Berocca boost sample
    Cadbury wunderbar
    Centra isotonic drink
    Bottle of water
    Luttle bag of jellies

...cool :)
    did ye happen to notice if they have Small and XS sizes in the Jerseys by any chance? Wifey will go mad if there are only Mediums!
    Not sure, that would be nowhere near my size range ;)

:mad: I didn't get a Cadbury Wunderbar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

2k punters signed up according to your man at sign in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Masala wrote: »
    Anyone know what fitting the jersey is.... will there be an opportunity to try the various size before walking away with a wrong size???
    Aye, u can try on at desk

Advertisement