Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New route for Rebel Tour 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

just registered
    from confirmation email:

"There will be a festival atmosphere in Glengarriff for the An Post Rebel Tour with live music, BBQ's etc taking place in the village after your event. We will also be offering an accommodation rate for the weekend so check out our website on www.corkrebeltour.ie"

should beat CIT!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 gooch134

Might be great riding, but it's the arsehole of Ireland; Miles from everywhere! I've nae car and even if I did, I'm not sure I could be bothered with the drive each way (and that's only to the city).

This is a great course. Cycling has caught the imagination of the public like never before. Cyclists travel to france to take part in the etape's Tour De France style and this sportive offers a challenge albeit slightly short of that.

I had little interest in doing the rebel tour. I would really like to take on the etape some day so for now this sportive has bridged that gap for me.

I will be taking part in the Rebel Tour 2012 and I believe many cycling enthusiasts will do likewise.

And all this only 1.5 hour drive from cork. Make a weekend of it. Should be fun. Bring it on !!

***** Has the potential to make the Ring of Kerry seem boring*****

doh !! Just after finding out also that the conor pass sportive on the same day. Now I do not know which one I will do. Why do the two most challenging sportives have to be on the same day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

Brilliant route!

The route for the past 2 years was awful. No real challenge and mostly on main roads. I lived 1 mile from the start and didnt bother either year.

I have done Caha Pass and Healy Pass numerous times and they are great climbs with terrific views. The descent off Healy Pass is alpine like, with switchbacks (except for the road surface and sheep!). Havent cycled Beara but the group that I cycle with did a Beara loop in May and said it was the best cycle of the year so far.

I've done the RoK a couple of times and this is a harder, but much more enjoyable and scenic route. Yeah, there will be people who wont bother because of the distance from the city. Their loss.

To anyone doing this, keep some in reserve for "The Wall" which is after the last ascent of the Healy Pass and near the end between Adrigole and Glengarrif. Anyone who has done TdeM or Lost Sheep tri will know what I'm talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭eoin88

Looks fantastic! I'd seen the route for the previous couple of years and wasn't particularly impressed by it. Really looking forward to getting down to the Beara Peninsula, the last bit of coastline in Cork and Kerry that I've yet to cycle!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 FZ

I've only just seen the 160KM route & it looks a cracker.

I've cycled it all in one way or another over the years & couldn't recommend it more highly. I'm going to also commit the sacrilege of saying that the route is more beautiful than the ROK.

The drag from Allihies to Eyries over the broken coast will be a real kick in the guts - I found it harder than either the Caha or Healy passes in that it's very tough to get a rhythm going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Rallymad

Looks like a really good but tough route much better than last years which was boring in my opinion so think ill be there this year again. One point id like to make was last year the first food stop was dreadfull could not get any tea i stood in line twice for it but they ran out before me and you need a cup of tea to keep you going .

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Orion72

All,

I'm living in West Waterford. I have done the rebel tour the past two years. Yes I would agree that the route has become boring and not very scenic until you head for kinsale. But I do question why Glengariff in-spite of it's amazing scenery? Last years numbers were down on previous years and with adding on traveling time and travel expenses they are putting more people off. I fear a lot of Sportive riders won't bother again this year who live outside of Cork and thus the numbers will be down on last years. Best of luck to all those that do take part.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Just did my fist ROK and as soon as I got back started googling for more cycling events. Just saw this one have just registered so will be my second ever organized cycle. Cannot wait as it looks brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Gonna put my name down for this, something to train towards!

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Muckers

There ye go. I'm registered and looking forward to the drive from Waterford to the arse hole of Ireland (not)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

After just finishing my first 'organised' 80km spin last weekendi signed up for this(85) and the sean kelly spin(100) the same night.

I only averaged 20kph, so i'll be starting near the back so as not to bother quicker riders(and make myself feel good when passing the odd person, great boost that!!).

Just need to get some training in now!!!

jersey has been released:

rebel%20tour%20jersey%20png.png

how much are the jersey or is it included in the entry fee?

Twas included in the entry fee last year

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

Eccles hotel will be making a packet out of this, all very cosy.

Twas included in the entry fee last year

hopefully it is this year too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Will probably stay overnight for this its a pity its clashing with Chain Gang's and Giant Causeway Sportif 2 I'd like to have a cut off

• Registered Users Posts: 17 PVMC

Hi all, just back from west Cork. Did the 55km and 85km rebel routes. Slow at 18 kph but very enjoyable. Going to do the Healys Pass again. It's more interesting with the hairpins descent to Adrigole. Heres hoping that the roadworks in Glengarriff will be finished. They seem to be alternating between a "go slow" mode and "complete stop" mode

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Went down on Friday evening to Kerry for the Iveragh 200 and decided to make a weekend of cycling out of it so thought I'd give the 85 km loop a try to see what the Healy Pass was like.

Started in Kenmare in the glorious sunshine late Friday afternoon and went out towards Cloonee, I had no map so was hoping for a sign to the Healy pass and met a fork in the road, I took the left (actual route looks like I should have taken the right). There was a nice drag up for a couple of km and back down so I thought that Healy Pass ain't that hard but when I arrived down the bottom I realised then I was only at the start of the Healy Pass - a nice climb and as above lovely downhill with the hairpins. Back to Glengariff had a nice little drag and then finished by going over the Caha Pass with a nice fast run into Kenmare.

As I missed a small section I only covered 81 km but the extra climb bought the ascent to just over 1000m and covered in 3 hours. Really scenic route and enjoyed the spin. Mental note though I must get a garmin as there was a few moments when I was unsure of where I was!

Edit - Noticed no sign of roadworks so maybe there complete or I missed that part of the route..

Really looking fwd to this and dreading it at the same time!

I just about survived the SKT 100km and signed up for the 85km here(signed up for both on the same day way, way back :eek:) ...

Who's heading down Glengarriff?

• Advertisement

Aye, me and my domestique are hoping to peak just in time for the 85!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Threads merged

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Haven't much done this year rok and Sean Kelly 100 which I didn't find challenging, think I'll do 160 in this ..
    Have Healy pass done few times , savage scenery I can see why they moved it down there it could be a keeper :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pabbo

comming down from monaghan to take part in the 160km rebel tour staying in bantry, I will cycle in from bantry to the start, I dont see what all the fuss is about moving to west cork for the event, If I can travel 430km surley you boys from cork can drive a few miles out of the way, some people never happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Less than 2 weeks to go and the good weather has got me doing an extra few Kms. Looking forward to the new route, it really is spectacular down there, my main concern is that because of it's location will there be a lot of budding cyclists make the effort to travel down? hopefully i'm wrong and the south will turn out in force and make it a great day.

pabbo wrote: »
    comming down from monaghan to take part in the 160km rebel tour staying in bantry, I will cycle in from bantry to the start, I dont see what all the fuss is about moving to west cork for the event, If I can travel 430km surley you boys from cork can drive a few miles out of the way, some people never happy.

Fiend, if the Corkman cant fly out of Cork airport to the destination, he aint going to that place!
    boy

Sould be epic, one of the nicest parts of the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

pabbo wrote: »

Most of Bantry to Glen is lovely new velvety soft tarmac with gentle hills, excellent warm up before hitting caha pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭AaronB

From castletownbere myself, looking forward to this!

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

Registered for the 85 now
    See ye there how many is that now

• Advertisement

need a roll call:

me at 85km

Advertisement