Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

WARNING:Risk Of Disruption,High Ground Snow/Ice Likely For Northern Regions, Sat/Sun.

• 12-02-2012 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Well the winter is turning out be incredibly mild.

I will open up this thread to replaced the ' Cold Reload Thread ' as any reload is not related to the original reason for the thread!

Mildish northwesterlies this week but then we see the PV move further east towards Scandinavia and the chance of a cold northwesterly and perhaps northeasterly for a time next weekend. In fact some charts show potential for a snow event towards next weekend as a small low moves across the south of Ireland drawing back some Arctic air to the north.

I am still hopeful we will get a snow event in the next 3-4 weeks.
    ;)
    Rtavn1681.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I hope we get snow soon:) before second week in march, as my wife is expecting our first borne and its twins and are due the end of march dont want to have to drive in snow:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭pauldry

we had twins last july and got a really sunny day for it.

Its crazy but beautiful. good luck with it.

as for snow i cant see it.

i hope im wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Mmm this tread seems very quiet,let's just hope for a reload in cold even for a short spell :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

mike65 wrote: »
    Not a chance.

I don't know GFS still showing a cool down.

A cold shot from the northwest, then a low to swing through under the weak ridge.

Consistent enough output.

Rtavn1682.png

Rtavn2282.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭nilhg

The GFS Operational and control runs for that time frame are complete cold outliers though WC, and we know the record of them verifying this winter.

MS_-753_ens.png

Those blue and green line go up and down faster than a *****'s knickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Another very poor ECM run tonight:( - the winter has really been astonishing in its complete lack of any seasonal weather. I can remember some stinkers in my time having lived through the 90's and most of the last decade, but this one really takes the biscuit!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Another very poor ECM run tonight:( - the winter has really been astonishing in its complete lack of any seasonal weather. I can remember some stinkers in my time having lived through the 90's and most of the last decade, but this one really takes the biscuit!!

Yup; three air frosts this "winter" (1st, 2nd and 3rd February) here in mehish Sandyford. (there was also one back in mid-November)

That is an all time record (going back nearly 40 years) for me :cool:

Wild Bill wrote: »

That is an all time record (going back nearly 40 years) for me :cool:

Of course, back in the day, we weren't tormented by modellers relentlessly predicting imminent "cold reloads"!

(I'd have thought you'd have to have discharged something in the first place to talk about "reloading"!)

So, this is very much an even milder version of Winter 73/74 without the Storms. (I'm talking East Coast - the "Dublin Storm" of 2012 was a complete miss)

Let's hope for a sunny dry spring and hot sunny summer :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I think 1988/1989 may have beaten 1973/1974 Bill. It did Nationally anyway.

Onwards to Cold! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I'd like to thank all the Gods who ensured that my quarter tank of oil bought back in the beginning of October barely has a dent in it and that it will stay that way till next October. Begone, nasty snowminators!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭weisses

12 - 14 degrees nest week ???? ... Bring it on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I think anyone still hoping for snow is not in the real world. Not a chance of it now, winter is well and truly done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

DarkJager wrote: »
    I think anyone still hoping for snow is not in the real world. Not a chance of it now, winter is well and truly done.

That's quite the statement :rolleyes:

There is always the possiblity of snow. March has seen it's share of snow. Can't see it happening. But when it comes to weather I can't see beyond my nose. So who knows:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Still looks like a bit of a blast next week.

Although things are looking like returning milder and unsettled from February 22nd onwards, although could change.

But likely we will get 2-3 days of cold weather with the prospect of some widespread wintry showers over next weekend.

Rtavn1321.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Hooter23

I like cold/snowy weather but now that its mid febuary Id prefer mild weather because when we get snow at this time of year even when its still freezing the snow melts as soon as the sun comes out:mad:
    I dont want snow now its too late:mad: lol :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Hooter23 wrote: »
    I like cold/snowy weather but now that its mid febuary Id prefer mild weather because when we get snow at this time of year even when its still freezing the snow melts as soon as the sun comes out:mad:
    I dont want snow now its too late:mad: lol :pac:

Really depends how deep the cold is, few silly statements on here saying winter is finished, there is a slight chance it could bite back in March. After March fair enough time to call it a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭screamer

few silly statements on here saying winter is finished
    considering Winter never started, you're correct. Otherwise, I agree, Winter has left the building for 2011.... let's move on, nothing to see here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I think that 'Winter is over' comment has been posted at least once every day since late November. Yes its been a pathetic Winter from an interesting weather point of view but its extremely tiresome seeing it posted so often

Looking like a high ground event again to me at the weekend, maybe a few snow showers to lower levels but it probably won't lie and considering it'll all be gone by Monday I'm not too interested, beats the current boredom though so at least its a bit of weather to look at

It's not as tiresome as the "winter's coming" predictions that are posted multiple times every day, with no disrespect to anyone because I have enjoyed reading the predictions and, we've all been looking and hoping but now, it really is time to just accept that winter's over, and spring is here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭srocliffe

screamer wrote: »
    It's not as tiresome as the "winter's coming" predictions that are posted multiple times every day, with no disrespect to anyone because I have enjoyed reading the predictions and, we've all been looking and hoping but now, it really is time to just accept that winter's over, and spring is here.

If it was April I might agree, but it is not even mid February yet.

I know they may not be intended this way (at least not by everybody who does it) but these "Winter is over" posts just come across as trolling to me.

Well, no definately not intended that way. I shall re-phrase, in my mind, winter is over, I will keep an eye on the daily forecasts here on boards anyways, as I definately appreciate the good work done by so many.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I'd never say winter is over until the end of March. Even then I could get caught by an early April blizzard ( has happened in Ireland but not in living memory) or a sharp frost like the one that murdered my Petunias in the late 1990s.

Even more ironically we could yet have a record breaking winter in terms of high temperatures and still have blizzards and frosts during Climatological Spring after the first of March. That thankfully means everyone is absolutely correct.

Now can we just go back to speculating on how far down the mountain the wintry excursion will come this weekend. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Really depends how deep the cold is, few silly statements on here saying winter is finished, there is a slight chance it could bite back in March. After March fair enough time to call it a day.

Winter is definately not over I remember many years when we got more snow in the months of febuary and march even snow in april happened a couple of times in the last few years I think.
    I just prefer to get it in december/january because it lasts longer on the ground:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I'd never say winter is over until the end of March. Even then I could get caught by an early April blizzard ( has happened in Ireland but not in living memory) or a sharp frost like the one that murdered my Petunias in the late 1990s.

Even more ironically we could yet have a record breaking winter in terms of high temperatures and still have blizzards and frosts during Climatological Spring after the first of March. That thankfully means everyone is absolutely correct.

Now can we just go back to speculating on how far down the mountain the wintry excursion will come this weekend. :)

Just two years ago we had a blizzard on the last day of March, over 7 foot of snow in places. Of course there might be nothing at all this year but there's still over a month of potential wintry weather ahead so its annoying to see it constantly written off

While I'm posting, here's the latest ECMWF...

ECM1-120_yhe0.GIF

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I remember 2006 in the canteen of the State Lab in Kildare watching a blizzard outside..that never settled though, but was fierce for a few hours.

And I started there in the first week of April, so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭K_1

Harps wrote: »
    Just two years ago we had a blizzard on the last day of March, over 7 foot of snow in places. Of course there might be nothing at all this year but there's still over a month of potential wintry weather ahead so its annoying to see it constantly written off

Serious snow in places that time, I remember going up to the hills near me on 1st April and there were 4-6 foot drifts, despite much of it having melted.

archives-2010-3-31-12-0.png

archives-2010-3-31-12-1.png

archives-2010-3-31-12-2.png

Pictures from Cavan:

110225.jpg

110226.JPG

110227.jpg

110228.jpg

Wicklow:

Picture043-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭pauldry

wow cool pictures.

Winter never ends in Ireland.

Even last June on the bank holiday weekend it was 7c in Sligo on the Sunday...max.

There was hail too in the showers.

I can see it now.

March Blizzard catches Ireland unawares after one of the mildest Winters on record.
    source Daily Mail :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭compsys

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the people who keeping saying: 'winter is over and spring is here' etc. etc. and that 'it's too late for snow' are deluded.

Yes, it may not snow again this winter. In fact, it may not snow again until 2016 for all we know! But that's not because it's too late in the year for it to snow.

Statistically, February is the snowiest month in Ireland and the UK, and a quick look at Met Eireann's website will also show that for many locations in Ireland it's also the coldest month of the year! So to say it's too late in the winter to snow in February is ridiculous.

If we lived in Spain or Greece where they've a continental climate and temperatures can rapidly increase once March sets in (though not always) you could argue that it's too late for snow. But in Ireland the average temperature in early March is actually colder than it is in late November. Yet you'd never hear people say it's too warm to snow in November.

Again, I'm not saying it will snow this month, but you certainly can't rule it out either. As many people have said before, there's plenty of examples of snow events in March and even April. And for the people who say snow in March isn't good enough because it melts too quickly - you're in the wrong country if you're expecting a deep freeze every year!

There. Rant over.

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I think 1988/1989 may have beaten 1973/1974 Bill.

Maybe...but I was a young snowbunny (like the kids hereon) in 73/74 - the disappointment still lingers in the memory......

By 1988 I realised it was Ireland I lived in - not Vermont. :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement