Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WARNING:Risk Of Disruption,High Ground Snow/Ice Likely For Northern Regions, Sat/Sun.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Mammatus, nice capture, quite unusual to see any in this country

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammatus_cloud

Snowing again here now, impressive to watch with the strong wind blowing it sideways

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tornando9

Darwin wrote: »
    Had some quite strange clouds as one of the heavier showers of hail/snow passed through earlier (it looked more dramatic than the pic shows). Anybody know what type of cloud formation this might be?

Looks like mammatus type clouds to me. They form on the underside of the anvil on Towering CB's.
    Excellent picture too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I think it hasn't turned out to be the event that we thought, with mostly hail and sleet being reported, and the odd snow shower, especially on high ground. All stations on the island of Ireland, and most in Scotlant too, reported either rain or hail at 6 pm, except for Knock (203 m), which reported a snow shower.

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynop?lang=en&esc=2&nav=Yes&lat=55N&lon=005W&proy=orto&base=bluem&ano=2012&mes=02&day=18hora=18&vsg=Sg

There are a few hours left where some of these showers could turn out more wintry but I think we can now probably write off February for cold and look towards starting a Spring 2012 thread. The rest of the month looks fairly mild, with no sign of anything colder than a brief glancing blow like today's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Had a big snow shower at 5 o'clock, started as hail but turned to heavy snow. Tried its best to stick.

Posting from a mobile so cant imbed the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL2fK3cNF7I&context=C35292b1ADOEgsToPDskLX1izNhTYh53P1G9dJj-3p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Do you know - I would not be surprised if weathercheck woke up to a dusting of snow in the morning.;) The snow showers will continue across the North of the country with snow settling readily there. The showers will penetrate inland from time to time aswell and it's not inconceivable that some light showers could reach the East of the country and down into the midlands. And anything that falls will be snow and will settle. So you never know. Turning very cold inland down to -2 or -3c. Dry but cold tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tornando9

darkman2 wrote: »
    Do you know - I would not be surprised if weathercheck woke up to a dusting of snow in the morning.;) The snow showers will continue across the North of the country with snow settling readily there. The showers will penetrate inland from time to time aswell and it's not inconceivable that some light showers could reach the East of the country and down into the midlands. And anything that falls will be snow and will settle. So you never know. Turning very cold inland down to -2 or -3c. Dry but cold tomorrow.

Love your enthusiasm DM2 and Optimism. Good call on today you weren't far off. If you combine 50% of your forecast with 50% of SU's its a damn good forecast :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

Su Campu wrote: »
    Darwin wrote: »
    Had some quite strange clouds as one of the heavier showers of hail/snow passed through earlier (it looked more dramatic than the pic shows). Anybody know what type of cloud formation this might be?

Mammatus
    yeah saw some mammatus here too as a sleety hail shower passed through arklow around 330.
    It left a dusting on the hills here above 1000ft or so.
    It says a lot for how poor a winter we have had considering that's only the 3rd time since November that I've seen any kind of covering on that stretch of high ground west of arklow, none of which lasted more than half a day.
    Up on croghan mtn above it,circa 1800ft and higher,there was a decent cover for a few days in February alright.
    Poor enough though,one of the worst winters,snow wise,if not the worst I remember for the higher ground round this part of the east.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

No showers atall atall here in sunny Sandyford; but some passed to the north (over the City) and a few non-stick snow showers up on Three Rock.

Light wind-driven non-stick snow at 1,500ft asl in an area that has over twenty mornings with snow cover in an average year ain't really very exciting :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Had some decent hail and snow showers this afternoon in these parts - never had a hope of sticking though given the toasty ground temps:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

some really heavy hail in sligo with some sleet at times , may have been more wintry out the country but i was only in the town today. Wind made hail showers quite dramatic. At least its better than the 3 weeks of strata rain and drizzle to come from Monday onwards.

Someone asked me yesterday what I thought Summer would be like.

Well going by the last 6 years wet, cloudy and windy. With very little sun.

Thats generally been the weather here since 2005 and sunshine levels seem to be dropping more readily.

In fact today and last saturday were the sunniest days of the past couple of weeks here and it rained n both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭davehey79

Bucketing snow in Longford town now but to wet to stick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Had a snow shower at 3:40pm, it was heavy enough for a short period, blizzard like as the wind gusted to 80km/hr with my 4 metre high anemometer.
    The gust was actually higher than the storm gusts on January 3rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

blackius wrote: »
    yeah saw some mammatus here too as a sleety hail shower passed through arklow around 330.
    It left a dusting on the hills here above 1000ft or so.
    It says a lot for how poor a winter we have had considering that's only the 3rd time since November that I've seen any kind of covering on that stretch of high ground west of arklow, none of which lasted more than half a day.
    Up on croghan mtn above it,circa 1800ft and higher,there was a decent cover for a few days in February alright.
    Poor enough though,one of the worst winters,snow wise,if not the worst I remember for the higher ground round this part of the east.

I have to say the same, I can't remember a winter with so little snow. We normally get at least a couple of inches.
    I can only remember two dustings of snow this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

I love snow like anyone else but one day is enough lol :pac::pac:

God bless the winter:D

Su Campu wrote: »
    I think it hasn't turned out to be the event that we thought, with mostly hail and sleet being reported, and the odd snow shower, especially on high ground. All stations on the island of Ireland, and most in Scotlant too, reported either rain or hail at 6 pm, except for Knock (203 m), which reported a snow shower.

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynop?lang=en&esc=2&nav=Yes&lat=55N&lon=005W&proy=orto&base=bluem&ano=2012&mes=02&day=18hora=18&vsg=Sg

There are a few hours left where some of these showers could turn out more wintry but I think we can now probably write off February for cold and look towards starting a Spring 2012 thread. The rest of the month looks fairly mild, with no sign of anything colder than a brief glancing blow like today's.

We had snow down on east coast of Antrim today. And I am at sea level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Just to keep this historic, unforgettable day (:pac:) in Irish weather on record, here is a radar animation I did up that covers the last 24hrs or so.

radaran18212.gif
    Radar Images taken from Weatheronline.co.uk

Impressive swing from a west to northwest direction in the shower streams during the afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Met Eireann radar not picking these up.
    These would be all snow now on high ground
    From NW
    193317.JPG

This belt is still being fed into the north, could add up before it dies off.

193318.JPG

Serious showers up there still

193319.JPG

193322.JPG

Hope those roads are well gritted

• Advertisement

Yep showers still piling in here, mostly hail though with a bit of snow mixed in. Quite a bit of accumulation on grass, against walls etc but for the most part nothing is sticking for long. Should be a decent covering higher up by now though

A good days worth of weather here anyway, easily the most interesting day all month. It went pretty much as I expected, mostly hail with snow during heavier showers but with little accumulation. Wasn't too bothered with anything lying anyway, I love these sort of days watching ominous looking showers on the horizon and the sudden change from bright and sunny to dark and stormy with heavy hail. Hopefully similar scenes ahead during the spring :)

How high up are you? I'm sure the hills will be alive with snow in the morn

About 90m according to earthtools, I can see the Derryveagh mountains in the distance from down the road, the lying snow level was around 250m back in the December events so assuming its even lower this time there should be a good covering tomorrow

Yeah I say snowline could be around the 150m-200m mark.

Jeez I,d have to go up if I was there, lovely flakes.:D

Harps wrote: »
    Yep showers still piling in here, mostly hail though with a bit of snow mixed in. Quite a bit of accumulation on grass, against walls etc but for the most part nothing is sticking for long. Should be a decent covering higher up by now though

A good days worth of weather here anyway, easily the most interesting day all month. It went pretty much as I expected, mostly hail with snow during heavier showers but with little accumulation. Wasn't too bothered with anything lying anyway, I love these sort of days watching ominous looking showers on the horizon and the sudden change from bright and sunny to dark and stormy with heavy hail. Hopefully similar scenes ahead during the spring :)

All snow here. A whiteout though have to go sis car bit of di icer for work in Belfast tommorow morning.

"If we build it, they will come" :D

Just realised your at sea level on east coast of Antrim.

rilz wrote: »
    All snow here. A whiteout though have to go sis car bit of di icer for work in Belfast tommorow morning.

That just doesn't make sense:D

It does, your probably sheltered from the north westerly flow on the other side, so warmer sea effect does not influence you so much.
    Unlike Harps he would have a stronger low level warmer air coming off the sea affecting his chances and so as it cross land the air cools down.

Just taking a look now at the whole of Ireland, I'm sure those showers making it in towards the Midlands are fairly wintry and higher ground in the south west.

193324.JPG

• Advertisement

Yeah temperatures rarely drop below zero in a NW flow around here, its been hovering between 1.5C and 2C since 6pm here, dew point around 0C throughout. I'd say a lot of the showers here would fall as snow if we were 50 miles further from the coast to lessen the affect of the Atlantic mixing, they'd be much weaker by that stake obviously so its a no win situation really. Even during the extreme northerly last December we only had hail & graupel showers on the first night with the strong wind, once it slackened we got over 25cm of proper snow in 15 hours!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement