Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Week's Storms - FORECAST, MODEL DISCUSSION ONLY

• 08-12-2011 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭

As Thursday's storm has yet to fully develop, it will pass us to the north, still bringing some especially stormy conditions to Northern Ireland tomorrow and tomorrow night.

There are good indications of another deeper storm developing under a 180 knot jet streak over the Atlantic late Sunday and taking a more direct path towards Ireland some time on Monday/into Tuesday. There is some uncertainty in the exact timing of its arrival, but with a core pressure of possibly as low as 945 hPa, it should bring stormy conditions with violent gusts to many parts of the country.

As with most rapidly deepening cyclones, the actual path may turn out to be to the left (north) of the current projections, but it is one to keep an eye on.

184310.gif

184309.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Slightly off-topic, but yet another rolls in next Thursday

65d16q.png

It's track over Ireland still low res but another to keep an eye on.

Funnily enough the word to prove i was human on tinypic while uploading this was disaster :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

baraca wrote: »
    Slightly off-topic, but yet another rolls in next Thursday

65d16q.png

It's track over Ireland still low res but another to keep an eye on.

Funnily enough the word to prove i was human on tinypic while uploading this was disaster :pac:

I actually hope this one doesn't happen! I have my Christmas night out with work that night!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

The way the patterns are running this season, one wonders if there is due cause to rename Thursday to Windsday. :)

Any chance this baby will die down? I've anemophobia (wind phobia) and these things don't make me happy!! Thursday storms are OK as I only work on Thursday evenings when most of these have calmed. However Monday and Tuesday are different :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

any one have any update on this storm based on the latest charts? it looks like today's event went further north than expected though the models had this system for next week further south.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

ECM and UKMO showing potential for this still.

GFS is a bit different but then throws in a rare serious storm for the south next Thursday. (I'm sure this will be gone on the next run!)

esncxs.jpg

• Advertisement

ECM and UKMO showing potential for this still.

GFS is a bit different but then throws in a rare serious storm for the south next Thursday. (I'm sure this will be gone on the next run!)

esncxs.jpg

:eek::eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

GFS typically shows epic centre lows of 940 - 950 at 5-9 days and it normally turns out to be a stiff breeze with gusts breaking 60KT in Belmullet perhaps. Please stop pointing to these serially unreliable forecasts. :(

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    GFS typically shows epic centre lows of 940 - 950 at 5-9 days and it normally turns out to be a stiff breeze with gusts breaking 60KT in Belmullet perhaps. Please stop pointing to these serially unreliable forecasts. :(

Well in fairness he did indicate that it would probably be gone in the next run:)

Still, gives the thread a bit of a shock factor!

Um, you need to take a look at the rest of the models for next week then, almost all showing potential for a deep low close to us.

ECM
    i2rnfc.gif

UKMO
    kboftk.gif

JMA
    lwe3b.gif

NOGAPS
    domph1.png

The only difference with the GFS is that it keeps that low further away from Ireland and swings another over us a couple of days later, which as I said will probably be gone in the next run anyway!

Aw sure there is 'potential' but it will most likely be nothing.

OH LOOOOOOOOOK !!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::cool::eek:

POLAR LOW ON CHRISTMAS EVE
    :eek::eek::eek::eek: FFS :cool:

Because it is all about that potential.

Rtavn3841.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭garyha

Cool story bro.

0291_zmzg.gif

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭fits

wouldnt it be funny if this materialised :D

fits wrote: »
    wouldnt it be funny if this materialised :D

It'd be fecking brilliant that's what it would be!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

OH LOOOOOOOOOK !!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::cool:

Awwwww.... I think Sponge Bob needs some snow, or a hug... so here's the best of both!! :D

snowmanhug.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Game of darts anyone?

ECMWF 240hr:

184370.gif
    Bring that right on! :cool:

930Hpa sez that bloody GFS, For Fu**s sake :( Was there a hurricane that low all season in 2011.???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

EDIT: wrong thread

Getting confused!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Heres a great link from the Shetland Islands, all live cameras, you can watch the ships in the harbour, see planes taking off from the airport etc. click on the live webcams at the bottom

Link: http://visit.shetland.org/shetland-webcams

I'd probably wizz in my pants if this came off, Pity it's a week out.

2dlu68z.png

Maq how come the wind speed map you posted is showing stronger wind speeds yet it's from the same run?

• Advertisement

2dlu68z.png

Maq how come the wind speed map you posted is showing stronger wind speeds yet it's from the same run?

Oh my dear god!:eek: I think that would be the end of us down south!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

leahyl wrote: »

AND it's attacking from our weak side, shield ineffective from that angle and those speeds.

gbee wrote: »
    AND it's attacking from our weak side, shield ineffective from that angle and those speeds.

And it's for next Thursday - not far off! But I know those winds will probably weaken considerably - still though it's exciting stuff! But wait no I don't want this for next Thursday cos it's my work Christmas party:eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

gbee wrote: »

Perfect scenario for Waterford too. We never do well out of a set up like today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

leahyl wrote: »

Maybe we've been wanting exciting weather too much down here !!! :eek:

2dlu68z.png

The one you posted shows mean winds, the one I posted shows gusts.

The one you posted shows mean winds, the one I posted shows gusts.

Thanks.

12z has the storm for the south a lot further east centred over northern france and later on friday also a lot weaker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I'd probably wizz in my pants if this came off

I think going by this post the boards.ie weather forum would be better off if this didn't come off. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Speak Now

GFZ 12z still showing this low (940mb) for early next week.
    Just north enough to keep us on the map!

airpressure.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Monday/Tuesday's storm now looks much further north than previous runs, so if that were the case it would be nothing special for Ireland, just another normal windy day in the northwest Tuesday. Still a very low core pressure though, but it remains to be seen if it goes that low. Still a lot of scope for change with systems this deep.

108_5.gif

EDIT: Didn't see Jerry's post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Although the ECM 120hr chart would bring widespread gales and severe gales.

I dont think it would pack that real punch as it is matured, although a secondary could form to squeeze the isobars and creates something extreme.

Needs close watching.

Also as the low arrives the gradient does tighten up ahead of the fronts up the Irish sea which would bring some severe gales.

Recm1201.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Some real monster storms showing up on the GFS runs for next week, ensembles for Malin show there's still no real agreement on just how low the pressure will drop but sub 945mb showing up regularly

graphe_ens4_tmj3.gif

Don't think I've ever seen a 925mb in FI never mind just 4 days away!

gens141114.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,583 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

This is a rare and volatile pattern developing where a large pool of unusually cold water in the mid-Atlantic is likely to reinforce a very strong jet stream aimed directly at Ireland and Britain (see, I'm learning) as illustrated by the very latest SST observations:

http://www.osdpd.noaa.gov/data/sst/anomaly/2011/anomnight.12.8.2011.gif

The storm in question develops at the most energetic point in the lunar cycle, after the double peak of full moon and northern max (which are separated by about 24h at this point). As I've mentioned before with regard to the research, there is a strong low pressure signal at winter full and new moon but more importantly, the lunar energy tends to be constrained by the large-scale pattern so if we were seeing a weak jet stream or a split flow or even a raging southwest flow into the Norwegian Sea, this energy peak would not be of great concern for Ireland.

As things stand, the models have been trending towards a very strong storm outcome and track is of course dependent on central pressure in terms of how much of a high impact storm it would be. A 970 mb low (today's earlier value as the storm crossed 10W) would have considerably less impact than a 945 mb low on the same track.

People commented that today's storm went further north than the models, which may be the case but in the past few years, this track has become almost a standard route for low pressure, it may be somewhat further north than climatology because of a gradual northward shift of the grid. However, all depends on where the polar vortex sets up in the wake of today's storm. Since we are now approaching 96 hours to storm onset, the 00z model run should begin to clarify the scenario. The extreme winds of 70-80 knots in the wake of the storm today (I have decided that the ship reports earlier were probably realistic given the location and satellite imagery) may have shifted the SST anomaly pattern more towards a linkup of the central Atlantic and Faeroes cold pools leaving the Biscay warm anomaly intact. This really spells trouble for Ireland and Britain and the Monday-Tuesday event is probably the most likely to deliver as the Friday 16th energy is beginning to show a southward drift on model runs and may turn into a problem for France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

If you guys had to book a day off work for this... Would you take the Monday or Tuesday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

I'm flying to the states on Tuesday afternoon, should I be worried?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

If you guys had to book a day off work for this... Would you take the Monday or Tuesday?

Judging by your previous posts I'm guessing you'd like a day of storm chasing? At the moment Tuesday looks like it'll have the stronger winds

markfla wrote: »
    I'm flying to the states on Tuesday afternoon, should I be worried?

Too early to say but you definitely need to keep an eye on it, there's a chance of severe winds nationwide on Tuesday so keep a close eye on this thread and it'll give you an idea

There's no real confirmation whether the low will actually give us a direct hit yet so this could all turn out to be a bit of a non-event yet! At the moment it looks severe but it could turn out to just give a few stormy but rather typical December days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Joe Bastardi

The UK will get slammed yet again in the coming days and I think the next one will be further south.
    Its cause there is so much cold air aloft. Look at the next threat ( notice N atlantic water cold)

184456.JPG

Surprised no new comments, 00z models were aggressive enough, but 06z GFS has 942 mb low in Donegal Bay 00-03h Tuesday and a gradient wind of about 60 knots sustained with potential for gusts to 90-100 knots, in all exposed locations. Time frame keep in mind is now 84h.

This cannot upgrade more than 10 knots so we'll be watching for signs of reliable fixed track and intensity now. It makes sense from both large-scale and research perspectives. And I rather hope it's wrong since it would do considerable if not enormous damage. Galway Bay storm surge would be one obvious risk, let's hope this solution is too extreme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Surprised no new comments, 00z models were aggressive enough, but 06z GFS has 942 mb low in Donegal Bay 00-03h Tuesday and a gradient wind of about 60 knots sustained with potential for gusts to 90-100 knots, in all exposed locations. Time frame keep in mind is now 84h.

This cannot upgrade more than 10 knots so we'll be watching for signs of reliable fixed track and intensity now. It makes sense from both large-scale and research perspectives. And I rather hope it's wrong since it would do considerable if not enormous damage. Galway Bay storm surge would be one obvious risk, let's hope this solution is too extreme.

Everyone could be too scared to comment !! :eek:

• Advertisement

Lowest mean sea level pressure: 931.2hpa at Limerick on 28th November 1838.

This is sounding more ominous by the day:eek:

Has the potential to be bad alright but on current charts any real extreme winds restricted to the northwest.

However if this undergoes that last phase of intensification a little later and further south then trouble is afoot.

Also there is the concern that there could be a few secondary centres which will buckle around the centre really tightening the gradient.

Definitely one to watch for any southerly movement. Although i think the areas that would be affected by the system as currently progged would be able to cope with sustained 50-60mph winds and gusts to 70-80mph as shown on the 6z. I notice that the 925hpa winds predicted for this storm are much lower than say for yesterdays storm, indicating the gust ratio will be lower but the sustained speeds will be higher.

Rtavn901.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Speak Now

h850t850eu.png

Surprised no new comments

tntn is not far off the mark

This storm has been showing up for the past 4-5 days. The fact that it is continuing to hold 84 hrs out is notable. Storm surges in the shannon estuary and galway bay could cause significant flooding in the setup shown on the 00hz gefs. Another thing to note is that the rain that will fall saturday night, monday and before and after this storm will further compund flooding concerns in various parts of the country. I know here in Clare the Council has warned of high river levels and warned public that flooding could occur along the fergus and shannon if the rainfall continues at the rate we have seen in the past fornight.

If the storm came off exactly as depicted on these charts, I would expect maximum wind gusts near 90 knots, and close to 70 knots even as far south as Valentia. Sub-950 mb centre would be one indicator, very steep lapse rate below 925 mbs due to ocean modification would contribute also. However the bigger question for me is whether these models are even close yet to the solution. We've seen big windstorms go "pear shaped" at this time range before. Anyway, would imagine we won't have any debates about ship reports if this comes off because no ship will be anywhere near this baby.

If the storm came off exactly as depicted on these charts, I would expect maximum wind gusts near 90 knots, and close to 70 knots even as far south as Valentia. Sub-950 mb centre would be one indicator, very steep lapse rate below 925 mbs due to ocean modification would contribute also. However the bigger question for me is whether these models are even close yet to the solution. We've seen big windstorms go "pear shaped" at this time range before. Anyway, would imagine we won't have any debates about ship reports if this comes off because no ship will be anywhere near this baby.

Whats you're feeling on this so MT? Do you think this could actually happen or is the likelihood that it will not be as bad as the current models are showing?

Met Eireann not concerned at this point. They mentioned 'storm' for Tuesday in yesterday's report but just 'windy' today

"Heavy rain will spread from the west during the second half of the day and it will be a wet and windy Monday evening. Tuesday is another cold, windy and very showery day right across the country."

Do you think 850hpa winds could reach the surface?

6z showing just a small band of 80knot 925hpa wind along the north coast
    Mostly below that. For most of the country just 50-60knot figures, and we had alot higher
    yesterday.

I am not doubting you just wondering what sort of charts your using!

Rtavn9013.png

Rtavn9613.png

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Met Eireann not concerned at this point. They mentioned 'storm' for Tuesday in yesterday's report but just 'windy' today

"Heavy rain will spread from the west during the second half of the day and it will be a wet and windy Monday evening. Tuesday is another cold, windy and very showery day right across the country."

Was just gonna mention that WolfeIRE - Met Eireann don't seem to be worried at all! Just being cautious at the moment maybe. It is still 3 days away after all

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement