Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Risk of very warm and sunny weather next week

• 22-09-2011 4:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Looks like an Indian Summer is likely to begin from later Monday onward. Temperatures could soar for the time of year into the low twenties with lots of warm sunshine as winds go more South to Southeasterly.:)

Recm1441.gif

Recm1682.gif

Oh and watch out for them imported Thunderstorms from the Bay of Biscay too!

:cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

Yayee Darkman! we can always count on you to cheer us up weather wise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Weylin

seeing is believing!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Still a good bit off but would be nice to get one big blast of heat for a couple weeks before changing into an extreme cold set up, just skip any bland, wet, blah weather and go straight from extreme heat to extreme cold! I can hope... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I thought there was a thread already about next week's Indian summer.
    Why not have another I suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

*Cough

7th September
    Pangea wrote: »
    Word has it that Michael Gallagher said the weather will be good for the end of September.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dammit where's the snow! :D

Anyway we know how these threads go, several times this year it's looked like a settled spell was in the offing but sure as eggs is eggs the high pressure is always too far away to make a stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

I just watched the weather after the 6 O Clock news and at the end it had Monday showers with 14C and Tuesday showers with 15C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Risk of a slightly warm settled spell:eek: Give it to us straight darkman, were going to be killed aren't we?.... I knew it as soon as I saw the yellow triangle:(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Risk of a slightly warm settled spell:eek: Give it to us straight darkman, were going to be killed aren't we?.... I knew it as soon as I saw the yellow triangle:(

I believe its the first sign of the apocalypse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

I believe its the first sign of the apocalypse.

The yellow triangle?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    The yellow triangle?

The Yellow Triangle, the forthcoming weather... we're all DOOMED! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

It's the calm sunny weather before the snowstorm, so to speak, ahem...! :-p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

MT8_Dublin_ens.png

The forecast looks fairly solid with high temperatures expected next week (low - mid 20's) and the risk of some thundery showers from the south later in the week. The Ensemble members are quite tight in the medium term so good confidence. Fingers crossed.:cool:

darkman2 wrote: »
    MT8_Dublin_ens.png

The forecast looks fairly solid with high temperatures expected next week (low - mid 20's) and the risk of some thundery showers from the south later in the week. The Ensemble members are quite tight in the medium term so good confidence. Fingers crossed.:cool:

Maybe you should email that to Met Eireann as they are saying something different. From what I read elsewhere it will be gone by Wednesday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Lucreto wrote: »
    Maybe you should email that to Met Eireann as they are saying something different.

Maybe they should email me and ask me for the forecast.;)

P.S if the 15c 850hpa isotherm gets over the country next week temperatures could reach 26 - possibly even 27c even at the end of September. Though that's later next week...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Met Eireann said it looks like high pressure will dominate our weather next week, how is that any different to whats being discussed here?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I love the use of the word "risk" in this context. Agreed that the maps show potential for a warm spell, let's hope this one actually materializes as there have been two or three phantom warm spells at 5-8 days on the models earlier this year. It makes sense on two fronts, first of all the tropical storm track gradually shifted further north as we moved through mid-September so this high is a natural response to that northward shift of warmth further west, and also, you don't often see a year with only one or two significant warm spells (saying February and April so far had these) so we or more to the point you are well overdue for a third (or fourth if you count the brief early June warm spell).

There is currently anomalous warmth developing between 90W and 110W over west-central North America, temperatures there will soon be as much as 10-15 C above normal, with suggestions of a meridional pattern developing. This usually propagates east over time (meaning that large ridge-trough couplets will form downstream across the Atlantic and Europe after they appear in North America). You just have to keep your fingers crossed that you're under a ridge or at least near enough to one. Looks that way at the moment. The warm spell could last 2-3 weeks in my estimation, and break down rather comprehensively mid-October.

darkman2 wrote: »
    Maybe they should email me and ask me for the forecast.;)

P.S if the 15c 850hpa isotherm gets over the country next week temperatures could reach 26 - possibly even 27c even at the end of September. Though that's later next week...

I think you are too optimistic over the weather.

Met Eireann is saying at the moment

"Monday will be a bright day, with sunny spells, some scattered showers will occur, most of them in the southwest, west and north. Cool, with light to moderate west to southwest winds. Tuesday onwards : Early indications suggest that it will remain unsettled and changeable."

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭octo

You can be sure that Met Eireann are also watching the ensemble forecasts....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Feeling optimistic about a nice ridge embracing our shores sometime next week....i would say coastal temperatures 16-18 and inland 20-22 (possible 24 in some places)...fingers crossed and i hope the 18z and future model runs confirm the trend of a hot breath of air from the south :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,124 ✭✭✭✭km79

"risk of" ? more like "I dream of " :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

I don't care what the temperature is as long as its sunny and bright. I am sick of this greyness and blehness we had earlier this week.

Hope that ridge builds and sticks around for an indian summer:)

followed by epic snows of course

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

MUSEIST wrote: »
    I don't care what the temperature is as long as its sunny and bright. I am sick of this greyness and blehness we had earlier this week.

Hope that ridge builds and sticks around for an indian summer:)

like the last bit :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I'll believe it when i see it . . .too many of these have ended in mist and cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

There was an epic warm spell at the end of September 1895, at least for the CET series, highs were in the 28-30 C range for almost a week there, and from the maps I would assume at least 25-27 C in parts of Ireland too.

Here's a map for the penultimate day of that warm spell.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1895/Rrea00118950929.gif

It started out similar to the pattern in today's model runs and high pressure built west across Ireland into the Atlantic. The pattern rapidly broke down around the first of October and the rest of that month became much colder than average, especially near the end of the month when the CET mean was near freezing for two or three days in a northerly flow. You can see that pattern here:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1895/Rrea00118951029.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 16,533 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It will be interesting to see if this could develop into a situation whereby a band of thunderstorms come up fom Biscay eventually. Too bad I'll miss all the action if it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭bb1234567

rather skip straight to the early snowmaggedon thank you very much. had my fair share of summer days supposed to be warm but turned out cold and wet for one year,too little too late imo..start of september is when its nice to have lovely warm indian summer weather, by mid september i just want autumn to be under way, and then this big cold snowy winter thats supposed to happen :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

bb1234567 wrote: »
    rather skip straight to the early snowmaggedon thank you very much. had my fair share of summer days supposed to be warm but turned out cold and wet for one year,too little too late imo..start of september is when its nice to have lovely warm indian summer weather, by mid september i just want autumn to be under way, and then this big cold snowy winter thats supposed to happen :D

Ok bb 12344567, I think you could be very disapointed if your waiting on this so called snowy spell:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Can we please have the words "snow" and "winter" added to the swear filter until November? :D

I can see the thread titles now: "What are the chances of some heavy **** this ******?"

• Advertisement

bb1234567 wrote: »

I'm with bb1234567

Summers finished and I am not expecting 20c weather again this year. If we go get this weather I expect it to be cloudy and humid with little sunshine and the temperature dropping back at night.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement