Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Who do you think will be on the Leaving Cert Studied Poetry Question
Frost 139 52.85%
Yeats 37 14.07%
Boland 191 72.62%
Rich 17 6.46%
Wordsworth 115 43.73%
Hopkins 88 33.46%
Kavanagh 26 9.89%
Dickinson 172 65.40%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Closed  

28-05-2011, 12:36   #1
electrictrad

Leaving Cert - English Poetry Poll 2011

. . .I know its the most talked about lottery on the LC course, so I've thrown up the poll to gauge what people think. . .

Personally I'd love to see Yeats up again. . .loads to talk about with him. . . and there is a guarantee of one of last year's poets this year, either him or Kavanagh is likely, by the "trying to catch students out" principle. . .

Of course, Boland will be on the paper as well. . .probably alongside one american (Frost or Dickenson probably) and one Englishman (Wordsworth or Hopkins). . .

Cant rule out Rich either, as she is the one poet practically no-one has studied, and no-one expects. . .
Advertisement
28-05-2011, 17:02   #2
flyaway.

I'm hoping Rich comes up. I know her poetry inside out at this stage! I voted for Rich, Kavanagh, Frost and Hopkins but that was just a random guess. I think Dickinson will probably come up though, actually.

Gah, wish we just knew!
28-05-2011, 17:42   #3
mikeydublin

As long as you know 2 of the main ones (ie boland dickinson yeats wordsworth) you surely are guaranteed one of them!
28-05-2011, 18:05   #4
augmented reality

I'm doing 5

Kavanagh, Frost, Boland, Yeats and Hopkins.
Would love if Kavanagh came up, if he does I think it will just be a "write a personal response to the poetry of Patrick Kavanagh" seen as he came up last year, hope so anyway.
Boland will probably come up but it'll be an awful question on mythology or something like that.
Only have an essay left on Hopkins to do so hopefully it will go well
28-05-2011, 18:20   #5
partyatmygaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeydublin View Post
As long as you know 2 of the main ones (ie boland dickinson yeats wordsworth) you surely are guaranteed one of them!
You're guaranteed to get 4 poets. That's all you're guaranteed.
Advertisement
28-05-2011, 19:11   #6
randylonghorn
Exactly what it says on the tin!

Quote:
No, you're not!

The only way you're guaranteed to get at least one poet you have studied is to have studied at least five.

Ok, you may choose to concentrate a bit more on a couple of those if you feel they're more likely, but to be sure of seeing a familiar poet, you must cover five at least at a basic level.
(2) thanks from:
28-05-2011, 20:47   #7
RHunce

Send a message via MSN to RHunce
Quote:
Who decides who the main poets are? I'd like to meet this person.

The English paper 2 last year was a big kick up the arse for some people and I'm glad it happened. I was talking to a girl who was studying just Boland and I warned her not to, when Boland didn't come up she wrote about her anyway. She missed out on her course and is now doing a PLC and rightly so. Anybody who doesn't use last year as a warning, beware!

Study 5!
(2) thanks from:
28-05-2011, 21:05   #8
partyatmygaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHunce View Post
Who decides who the main poets are? I'd like to meet this person.
I'd say we'd all like to meet the person who wrote the exam
(3) thanks from:
28-05-2011, 21:35   #9
_meehan_

Quote:

I've 3 generic essays on Boland, Yeats, and Wordsworth. They're adaptable enough, so I'm learning them off. I know Rich quite well, and the other poet I did was Kavanagh. Kavanagh's f*cking awful though. I have no notes on him, and lack a general understanding of his poetry. I'd a different teacher to my usual one for Kavanagh, so if he's my only option, I'm screwed. That said, (and I know there are no guarantees), I really don't think he'll be up again.
Advertisement
28-05-2011, 21:49   #10
partyatmygaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by _meehan_ View Post
I've 3 generic essays on Boland, Yeats, and Wordsworth. They're adaptable enough, so I'm learning them off. I know Rich quite well, and the other poet I did was Kavanagh. Kavanagh's f*cking awful though. I have no notes on him, and lack a general understanding of his poetry. I'd a different teacher to my usual one for Kavanagh, so if he's my only option, I'm screwed. That said, (and I know there are no guarantees), I really don't think he'll be up again.
I hope not. I hate his poetry.
Thanks from:
29-05-2011, 00:13   #11
RHunce

Send a message via MSN to RHunce
Quote:
Originally Posted by partyatmygaff View Post
I hope not. I hate his poetry.
Oh, "Alexander Selkirk knew the plight"!....of studying Kavanagh's god awful poetry
29-05-2011, 01:01   #12
NotExactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrictrad View Post
Personally I'd love to see Yeats up again. . .loads to talk about with him. . . and there is a guarantee of one of last year's poets this year,.
No there isn't.
(2) thanks from:
29-05-2011, 09:12   #13
electrictrad

2 A SERIOUS CLARIFICATION ON THE OPENING POST, WITH REFERENCE TO CONCERNS STATED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotExactly View Post
No there isn't.
Sincere apologies for the inaccuracy. . .

Mathematically, assuming that each poet has an equal chance of coming up, there is an 92.86% chance that at least one of the 3 poets that came up last year will come up. . .to put that in layman's terms, if the SEC produced 14 different exam papers for this year, with no biases, 13 of them would contain a poet who came up last year. . .

Poets aren't banned from coming up two years in a row; in fact, we have precedent; Sylvia Plath came up in both 2003 and 2004. . .

So, you are dead right, my friend. The sentence really should have read "almost guaranteed". I hope to God I didn't confuse anyone by stating the word guaranteed, without including a clause before it. . .I also hope that you can find it in your heart to forgive my grave error. . .

Last edited by electrictrad; 29-05-2011 at 11:54.
29-05-2011, 10:12   #14
xclw

I don't see what the big deal everyone makes about the poets is, theres no point trying to predict, just pick 5 and 4 poems from each and learn a few quotes, people spend way more time on poetry than they do on the essays and short stories that are twice the marks.
Thanks from:
29-05-2011, 15:31   #15
Iceboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xclw View Post
I don't see what the big deal everyone makes about the poets is, theres no point trying to predict, just pick 5 and 4 poems from each and learn a few quotes, people spend way more time on poetry than they do on the essays and short stories that are twice the marks.
This
Thread Closed