Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

celt262 wrote: »
    I think Givney will stay in the full forward line, with him and Mckiernan i think that both of them are to attacking minded. Corr was outstanding the other night in Midfield and if he keeps up that form he deserves his place. He can be brought out when needed anyway as happened the last few games.

A full forward line of Dunne,Givney and Keating would put fear into any team, not to mention Jack Brady and Niall McDermott who have both been very good this year.

Would agree re Corr - his place is well merited on form and he does a good job of holding.

Thats a damn exciting forward line... great to have options again..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭celt262

There is also Turloc Mooney to maybe come into that panel. He scored 1-5 for Redhills last weekend and is supposed to be flying. It is someone that Hyland and Co will defninatly be watching in the U21 game against Monaghan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

the last 2 results have been great
    the trip tp sligo is going to be one of our toughest this year as everything is not rosy in their camp and they are under pressure for a win
    but hopefully a win this sunday and we can dare to dream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

My old man grew up in Cavan till he was eight (Ballinagh) so always keep an eye on the Breffni and delighted to say ye really have got a serious smattering of talent up there at the moment. I look forward to making money backing them too as a lot of it appears to be somewhat under the radar judging how underpriced ye've been so far in the league.

There is also Turloc Mooney to maybe come into that panel. He scored 1-5 for Redhills last weekend and is supposed to be flying. It is someone that Hyland and Co will defninatly be watching in the U21 game against Monaghan.

Have heard great things about him - great to have so many options..

Cavan are 5/6 fav for the game against sligo.

Cavan are 5/6 fav for the game against sligo.

hate that - we are never good as favourites but something tells me this group of lads are different

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Keep the expectations realistic folks. We have a very young side and they will find it hard to play at that level on a consistent basis. Two wins doesn't make us world beaters, we will no longer face sides under the radar, Sligo will be well aware of what we have to offer and will be fighting for their season next Sunday.

The team is in a good place, one more win should see us safe for the season. To go up we'd need at least two wins and a draw from games against Sligo, Fermanagh, Wicklow and Roscommon. No easy task.

Tom Joad wrote: »
    hate that - we are never good as favorites but something tells me this group of lads are different

I don't know if they would even know or care to be honest.

What did you thing of McEnroe at full back the other night, i hadn't seen him in a while he is a big man also.

• Advertisement

I don't know if they would even know or care to be honest.

What did you thing of McEnroe at full back the other night, i hadn't seen him in a while he is a big man also.

I wasn't actually at the game - had a race in Meath Sunday morning so couldn't do both - only had Northern Sound. Re McEnroe I haven't seen enough of him to judge but for me Rory Dunne is the best full back in the county - unfortunately Rory never gets momentum because of injury. Is the answer then to back McEnroe who was out for a while himself for the league? Its one position we need to resolve before championship..

Keep the expectations realistic folks. We have a very young side and they will find it hard to play at that level on a consistent basis. Two wins doesn't make us world beaters, we will no longer face sides under the radar, Sligo will be well aware of what we have to offer and will be fighting for their season next Sunday.

The team is in a good place, one more win should see us safe for the season. To go up we'd need at least two wins and a draw from games against Sligo, Fermanagh, Wicklow and Roscommon. No easy task.

Agreed need to be realistic and need to build on the two games against Meath and Monaghan but Sligo won't be easy. We now have a chance at promotion but its not the be all or end all - I always said these lads just need to start winning games to get confidence. In saying that you won't go out and blitz teams and have them beat come half time in the championship so would be interested to see how they cope in a tight game.

For me we need to beat Armagh in May - simple as, that has to be the target to move this team on..

I wasn't actually at the game - had a race in Meath Sunday morning so couldn't do both - only had Northern Sound. Re McEnroe I haven't seen enough of him to judge but for me Rory Dunne is the best full back in the county - unfortunately Rory never gets momentum because of injury. Is the answer then to back McEnroe who was out for a while himself for the league? Its one position we need to resolve before championship..

It needs to be resolved but we have gone from no full back to having maybe 3 good enough to play there in a short space of time.

McEnroe has the Jersey now for the next 2 league games i would imagine with Clarke gone back to the U21's and Dunne still probably injured. I liked the look of him the other night big strong lad who is comfortable on the ball.

It needs to be resolved but we have gone from no full back to having maybe 3 good enough to play there in a short space of time.

McEnroe has the Jersey now for the next 2 league games i would imagine with Clarke gone back to the U21's and Dunne still probably injured. I liked the look of him the other night big strong lad who is comfortable on the ball.

has been a weak position in Cavan for a long time and we do need a big strong lad. We also have Podge to come back into the backs as well which will help and Toasty is playing the football of his life. Dermot Sheridan is back in the fold and is flying in training (always looked after himself anyway) so its all positive at the minute.

has been a weak position in Cavan for a long time and we do need a big strong lad. We also have Podge to come back into the backs as well which will help and Toasty is playing the football of his life. Dermot Sheridan is back in the fold and is flying in training (always looked after himself anyway) so its all positive at the minute.

It's going to be hard for them lads to get back in.

edit: There is also Jason Mcloughlin to come back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Part two of that interview with Jim Reilly is on the site now folks.

http://www.livegaelic.com/features/livegaelic-legends/livegaelic-legends-jim-reilly-part-2/

• Advertisement

Personally I would find it a stretch to say that we have one intercounty quality full back, never mind 3.
    Killian Clarke has potential as a full back but is still very young and very light. Remember him against Tomas O'Connor in Breffni last year? He fought gamely but was completely overpowered.
    Rory Dunne and McEnroe have not played there often enough to be considered solid in the role. As was the case for the previous few years, we have no solid dependable full back.

I think Clarke is the long term option for full back, he'll make appearances at corner back until he comes out of U21 and develops enough to slot into the full back role. Until then Dunne is the best choice if he can stay fit and if not McEnroe and Minagh will fill in as required.
    We have a new defensive game plan and it is very much about the collective effort at the back, I don't expect to see our full back isolated in an individual battle any more which is to be welcomed given some of the past disasters.

On the issue of Keating and Givney, I think Givney should stay at FF simply because our Midfield has a good balance as it is. Corr is playing out of his skin, a real workhorse strong and committed, Hyland favours a lad like that at midfield.
    Keating caught the eye with a few magnificent scores last year but I would be slightly concerned about how he fits into the team ethic. He's fond of saluting the crowd after a hail mary shot from the wing goes over the bar but for every one of those he kicks 3 might go wide. Perhaps he just needs to mature. That said he has the physicality for this level and is worth his place somewhere.
    The Sligo game will be a real test, anyone know when Cavan last won 3 games on the trot? The last few games have heralded improvement but not complete transformation, Sligo are always a tough prospect and I don't doubt that playing them in Sligo, as they fight for relegation, a win is a big ask.

Personally I would find it a stretch to say that we have one intercounty quality full back, never mind 3.

I never said we had 3, it was MAYBE 3.

Maybe 3, is that 4 or 2 then? Or do you mean 3 that are maybe good enough to be there?

Maybe 3, is that 4 or 2 then? Or do you mean 3 that are maybe good enough to be there?

3 that are maybe good enough to be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

The Sligo game this weekend is huge. Last year we had two great results in the middle of the league (beating Sligo and then Tipp I think it was in the second game) but everything fell apart after that and we didn't win one more game. Hopefully the team can push on this weekend.

In regard to Keating, he's just back from injury so I'm sure he'll be eased back into things. Corr deserves his place at midfield and gets through trojan work. I'd hope Terry will do the same as the Meath game. Start McKiernan and Corr at midfield and Givney can move out for support when their legs tire late on. Keating could then be introduced in at full forward at that stage. I thought Givney did very well at full forward against Meath and Menton is one of the better full backs he'll face.

It's great to see James McEnroe back too. I said on here last year that I thought he was our best player in 2011 and he was a big loss last year. To have lads like him and Mackey back is a big boost. Terry is showing that he's the right man for the job and he has the panel working together.

It's great to be in with a shout for promotion and to have beaten the old enemy last week but we need to keep our feet on the ground. This is a very tough division. An Armagh man even commented to me recently that he'd see it as tougher than Division 2. Fermanagh are going very well and we face them next Saturday so a win against Sligo this weekend is huge.

The lads are working tirelessly in the games and we've a strong panel that will be needed because, with that high work rate, injuries are going to keep surfacing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

cavan half time cavan full time paying 15/8, surely good value there, alot of people here and on HS saying we have to worry about Sligo, with all due respect, I think we have very little to worry about Sunday, and think we will run out 5+ point winners!
    On another note, knowing some of the panel, and one particularly well, I can assure ye, from day 1 Hyland had GMK and mossy only in mind for midfield, he feels givney and GMK are too alike, so cant play together, I tend to agree they are alike, the real test for hyland is how he will integrate Keating into his plans when he returns. will he go with Keating, Dunne, and Givney FF line?? of play Giveny WHF? Its something for him to think about for sure as if Givney and Keating are fit and in form they have to play...

Team announced for Sunday:

@CavanCoBoardGaa: AO'Mara,KBrady,JMcEnroe,OMinagh, KMeehan,AClarke,DO'Reilly,TCorr,GMcKiernan,CMackey,MReilly,MMcKeever,NMcDermott,MDunne,DGivney v SO Sun 2pm

One enforced change with Joshua Hayes going off injured last week.

Can't say I'm a huge fan of Meehan. Have seen little of note from him in a Cavan jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Lemlin wrote: »
    Team announced for Sunday:

@CavanCoBoardGaa: AO'Mara,KBrady,JMcEnroe,OMinagh, KMeehan,AClarke,DO'Reilly,TCorr,GMcKiernan,CMackey,MReilly,MMcKeever,NMcDermott,MDunne,DGivney v SO Sun 2pm

One enforced change with Joshua Hayes going off injured last week.

Can't say I'm a huge fan of Meehan. Have seen little of note from him in a Cavan jersey.

Welcome back lemlin :)

You must be fairly happy with scan so far this year

Welcome back lemlin :)

You must be fairly happy with scan so far this year

The work was put in long before this year. It started under Val and has continued under Terry.

Val made tough decisions that needed to be made and paid the price for it but it paved the way for Terry to take over. He was the man I always thought was right for the job.

People laughed last year after our hammering by your native county but its this year that we are starting to see the results of what is very much a long term plan with these young players.

We now have a hugely committed, hard working panel of players, something Cavan haven't had in a long time.

I'm not counting my chickens yet though. Consistency can be hard to deliver and weekly games are going to take their toll on these lads because of the hard work they are putting in during each match.

Sligo tomorrow is a huge match. Win and we're in with a shot at promotion. Lose and we could easily get dragged into a relegation dogfight.

The work was put in long before this year. It started under Val and has continued under Terry.

Val made tough decisions that needed to be made and paid the price for it but it paved the way for Terry to take over. He was the man I always thought was right for the job.

People laughed last year after our hammering by your native county but its this year that we are starting to see the results of what is very much a long term plan with these young players.

We now have a hugely committed, hard working panel of players, something Cavan haven't had in a long time.

I'm not counting my chickens yet though. Consistency can be hard to deliver and weekly games are going to take their toll on these lads because of the hard work they are putting in during each match.

Sligo tomorrow is a huge match. Win and we're in with a shot at promotion. Lose and we could easily get dragged into a relegation dogfight.
    i think after the start Cavan have had confidence will be huge and that alone can get results.

Cavans success underage is starting to show itself I'm happy for Cavan fans.

Good to see you back. How do you think Sligo game will go?

I'm not overly confident this weekend Dublin are just so damn good

i think after the start Cavan have had confidence will be huge and that alone can get results.

Cavans success underage is starting to show itself I'm happy for Cavan fans.

Good to see you back. How do you think Sligo game will go?

I'm not overly confident this weekend Dublin are just so damn good

Cavan lost to Antrim in the first game of the campaign so the start has been good but not fantastic. I do think 2 games is probably all you can lose in this Division to be in with a chance of promotion. Two teams are still unbeaten and I also think Monaghan will bounce back.

I'm not overly confident either. The last two games have been great results but the Antrim game showed the team are still getting used to the system.

Sligo are a decent team and they'll be eager to bounce back on their own patch.

Agree with this. Cavan support operates at highs and lows without and middle ground. We are now at a high but a defeat tomorrow could bring us back down to earth with a bang. For me the game is 50/50 and we don't have the psychological edge we had in the past 2 games. All of a sudden the lads are facing a game that they are expected (by some) to win against a team that won't at all be taking us for granted. They will know if they win it puts us in the hunt for promotion.

Mackey did a good interview after the last game and said they were just focusing hard on each game as it comes, hopefully that is the case. Winning two local derbies in a row are great results, win against Sligo and we will have true momentum and be confident of safety. Lose and the pressure returns somewhat to stay in the division.

Agree re the support - there really is no middle ground is there?

I really think this bunch of lads have their heads screwed on and will hopefully not get carried away - Monaghan are beating Fermanagh by 2 points at the moment which will shake things up in Division 3 too.

Agree re the support - there really is no middle ground is there?

I really think this bunch of lads have their heads screwed on and will hopefully not get carried away - Monaghan are beating Fermanagh by 2 points at the moment which will shake things up in Division 3 too.

Monaghan won in the end so I'm not sure if that is a good or a bad thing. Both teams are now ahead of us so if we lose tomorrow we definitely go from a seemingly good position to a poor one.

Makes it interesting if nothing else... What anyone else does is irrelevant if we don't win tomorrow anyway... still its a better position than I expected us to be in at this stage..

• Advertisement

The Monaghan one is the best result for us; provided we win tomorrow. It leaves us in a position where a win would see us go to the top of the division and if we end up fighting it out for a promotion spot with Monaghan we will pip them by virtue of the head to head.

Personally I think that IF (big if) we are going to be in the hunt for promotion we will be batting it out with Fermanagh for second. That means a win against them is vital next week.

But at the end of the day, despite the great position we are in, I would have taken your hand off if you offered me mid table survival before the League started and I'll stand by that. Still a long way to go and it's eminently possible that we could be going to Breffni in the last game needing a result for survival.

Tomorrow is the game that will define our League Campaign. Best of luck to all involved, do yourselves justice.

have to agree with the last comment, before the league started i would have been very happy with not going down as div 3 is as competive as div 2 this year. in saying that, after the great effort of the lads, it would be such a pity now not to have a good craic at promotion. good luck to the lads today, and wrap up well to anyone going!

have to agree with the last comment, before the league started i would have been very happy with not going down as div 3 is as competive as div 2 this year. in saying that, after the great effort of the lads, it would be such a pity now not to have a good craic at promotion. good luck to the lads today, and wrap up well to anyone going!

Sligo beat Armagh in round 2 down there so they are capable of getting results.

A win for us and a draw or win for Meath in the Roscommon Meath match would be a great days work.

I lived in Sligo for a year so I'm going to make the trip down. Very bad road down (if you get stuck behind something, you're not going to move much) but its only about an hour and a half's journey or less depending on the traffic.

Couldn't make Sligo due to car trouble but listened to it on the radio - cracker of a match by all accounts so will be interested to hear from people at it. Great performance from Barry Reilly - silenced some of his doubters, myself included with that showing.

Simply put this is a game that Cavan of the last few years would have lost and would have capitulated when things were going against them. Great belief to keep going until the end and could be a very valuable point come to end of the league.

Draw in Antrim Wicklow game is a good result for us too. Massive game against Fermanagh now - today's result would have done Cavan the power off good on a few levels. A win (or draw) in Breffni against Fermanagh gives us a great chance of promotion..

Couldn't make Sligo due to car trouble but listened to it on the radio - cracker of a match by all accounts so will be interested to hear from people at it. Great performance from Barry Reilly - silenced some of his doubters, myself included with that showing.

Simply put this is a game that Cavan of the last few years would have lost and would have capitulated when things were going against them. Great belief to keep going until the end and could be a very valuable point come to end of the league.

The annoying thing is that the game was there for the taking at the start of the second half.

Considering how poorly we started and that we were six points down in the first half at one stage and five down in the second though, a draw is a great result.

That point could well be the one that gains us promotion. Huge games now against Fermanagh and Wicklow.

The other results today have done us huge favours.

We were very sloppy today. The intensity of games week after week appears to be hitting the lads like I thought it would.

Good result Cavan well done

Good result Cavan well done

Not really a good result. But for alot of early sloppy play in a terrible first 25 minutes, Cavan should have won the game.

We'll take the lucky point but I'd certainly be worried about Fermanagh next week.

Our back line weren't tested against Monaghan and Meath but they struggled today.

O'Meara is gone for six weeks due to a broken wrist and McKeever will miss the Fermanagh game as he is out of the country.

Team is due to be announced tomorrow evening but I'd expect the two Reillys, James and Barry, to come in.

James' decision making in goals was poor at times last year though so I'd have worries about that. He's no longer the twice nominated All Star 'keeper that he was.

• Advertisement

O'Meara is gone for six weeks due to a broken wrist and McKeever will miss the Fermanagh game as he is out of the country.

Team is due to be announced tomorrow evening but I'd expect the two Reillys, James and Barry, to come in.

James' decision making in goals was poor at times last year though so I'd have worries about that. He's no longer the twice nominated All Star 'keeper that he was.

There isn't anyone in the county fit to lace his boots at the moment though.

I wouldn't disagree with celt on that to be honest.. McKeever is a loss..

McKeever is a big loss. Fermanagh are without their star forward and their captain though so they won't be fully happy with the team they are fielding either. Barry Reilly is a good option to bring into the team. Apart from the composure and class he brings, he's a leader on the field.

Good to get home to Breffni for this game too. 5 points having only played 1 game at home is good going.

McKeever is a big loss. Fermanagh are without their star forward and their captain though so they won't be fully happy with the team they are fielding either. Barry Reilly is a good option to bring into the team. Apart from the composure and class he brings, he's a leader on the field.

Good to get home to Breffni for this game too. 5 points having only played 1 game at home is good going.

Barry Reilly is a good sub to bring on - only concern is that he's very light - also coming back from a bad injury.

Breffni hopefully will be rocking Saturday night especially given the weekend that's in it - big boost for the town too. Lads should be well up for it - know Fermanagh well and game last week will have ensured that morale is good without getting carried away. Its a long time since I was looking forward to a game so much ... exciting times :D

with Keating back, Hyland could quit possibly play Givney WHF, not saying I would agree with it, but he could. i always wondered about o Meara in nets.... I mean he was 2nd choice last year for BBoro let alone the county. Poor kickouts and does not fill me with confidence under a high ball.
    I mean this is ultra skeptical but I kinda always got the feeling he surrounded himself with the right people and his work aids that, I just always got the impression if your a half decent keeper and knocking around breffni you could sneak a game with the u21s and possibly move up the grades, maybe im just mad....
    anyway i still think he is a crap keeper

with Keating back, Hyland could quit possibly play Givney WHF, not saying I would agree with it, but he could. i always wondered about o Meara in nets.... I mean he was 2nd choice last year for BBoro let alone the county. Poor kickouts and does not fill me with confidence under a high ball.
    I mean this is ultra skeptical but I kinda always got the feeling he surrounded himself with the right people and his work aids that, I just always got the impression if your a half decent keeper and knocking around breffni you could sneak a game with the u21s and possibly move up the grades, maybe im just mad....

Extremely harsh. O'Mara didn't "sneak a game" with the U21s because he had made the right contacts. He was with Cavan since the U16 development squads and played Minor before graduating with his teammates to U21. Do you remember the saves he made against Fermanagh U21s in 2011? The multiple saves he made against Wexford when they were pushing for a goal near the end? Of course there's a lot more to a goalkeeper than shot stopping, his kickouts may need some work but he's young. I also don't recall any fumbles under a high ball before the one v Sligo. And you can add the fantastic save before that to the list of great saves he has made for Cavan.

James Reilly has twice been All Star Nominated but he has made mistakes too. Cost us 2 goals v Wexford in the first round of the League last year. Remember him going on a dribbling run outside his own box v Kildare in the qualifiers?

• Advertisement

Who was first choice for Bailieboro? Gilsenen?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Who was first choice for Bailieboro? Gilsenen?
    James Cooney was in goal for most of last year I believe, he was pretty solid any time I saw him. I don't know what the story is with O'Mara or Gilsenan.

Very harsh on O'Mara. He's a good shot stopper and very agile, his best years are ahead of him.

Extremely harsh. O'Mara didn't "sneak a game" with the U21s because he had made the right contacts. He was with Cavan since the U16 development squads and played Minor before graduating with his teammates to U21. Do you remember the saves he made against Fermanagh U21s in 2011? The multiple saves he made against Wexford when they were pushing for a goal near the end? Of course there's a lot more to a goalkeeper than shot stopping, his kickouts may need some work but he's young. I also don't recall any fumbles under a high ball before the one v Sligo. And you can add the fantastic save before that to the list of great saves he has made for Cavan.

James Reilly has twice been All Star Nominated but he has made mistakes too. Cost us 2 goals v Wexford in the first round of the League last year. Remember him going on a dribbling run outside his own box v Kildare in the qualifiers?

Well said KeepThe Faith - O'Mara has been involved with the county team for along time and while not the finished article he's a fine keeper.

Where does he play for his club, when he's second choice keeper?? Is this a bit like arguing that Stephen Cluxton is not first choice keeper for Parnells?

Re the mad solo run by James Reilly -he only done that because nobody wanted the ball from him... Anyway every keeper needs to be a bit mad.. :)

Actually meant to say as well - well done to the Minor hurlers who beat Tyrone by 18 points last weekend - looks like some of the work being done in Cavan hurling is beginning to pay off.

cournioni wrote: »
    James Cooney was in goal for most of last year I believe, he was pretty solid any time I saw him. I don't know what the story is with O'Mara or Gilsenan.

Very harsh on O'Mara. He's a good shot stopper and very agile, his best years are ahead of him.

Conor Gilsenan(spelling?) is now playing for Killinkere and is 3rd choice Cavan keeper so should be on the bench Saturday evening.

On O'Mara, he is dodgy under the highball there was cases during the U21's that he made errors. Good shot stopper but poor enough kick out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement