Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

GERRYMAC65 wrote: »
    I wouldnt mind the league performance this year,considering players been dropped/walking away etc its a miracle Cavan stayed in Div 3.Apart from Longford,Cavan werent far off the rest and had a couple of wins.I think Cavan have nothing to lose on Sunday,and should play an attacking (tear at them) game.:)

In fairness, if you were at the Offaly game you wouldn't be saying that. Offaly were the worst team I had seen in years and they still beat Cavan. Cavan really were that bad and there was no disguising it.

No manager could be blamed for the performance. They honestly couldn't, the players were that bad in the second half.

The game is being shown on BBC 2 at 7 this evening for anyone that is interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Really hope the lads do themselves justice today - don't see how we can beat Donegal if we are being realistic about it - would love to be wrong but just can't see it happening. Think there will be a good few changes from the team named earlier in the week.

Will settle for a good performance to start getting a bit of pride back in the jersey - would also hope that we finish we 15 on the field and keep our discipline. Would also be nice to see a couple of the u-21's show that they can do it at this level.

Big problem with playing and being knocked out of the preliminary round is the long wait for the first round of the qualifiers and I wonder how many of the panel will be unavailable for the qualifiers.

Looking forward to the minor game and hope we win that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

not an unexpected result but with a bit of luck we might have made a better game of it ie. hitting the crossbar and dubious penalty
    glad we played football today and i think when we play a football team we might just do a little bit better

• Registered Users Posts: 31 GERRYMAC65

Not a bad performance today from Cavan,against an improving Donegal team.Cavan have a number of positives from this game,which im sure they will concentrate and build on,not least being an honest effort and pride in the jersey.

There seems to be negativity from some in the county re yesterday's performance but I'm happy enough with how it went. Listen, we were up against a Donegal team that had Rory Gallagher making his 100th appearance at midfield. In the Cavan team, you had an 18 year old, two 19 year olds and a 20 year old. Of the four young lads (Clarke, McLoughlin, Flanagan and Brady) I thought only Flanagan played poorly. Donegal are light years ahead of Cavan in terms of development. I'd love if Cavan had the experienced players to support these young lads but we don't. A new impetus is needed and it is going to take these lads time to learn the game but they need to be given it. Tony Davis said as much on the Sunday Game last night when he spoke about the difference he and his Cork teammates found between U21 and senior level.

Gearoid McKiernan clearly wasn't fit and should have been taken off in the second half. I really don't think he should have been rushed back. Thankfully he didn't pick up an injury. David Givney had a very good game I thought. Mossy Corr did well when he came on, as did Niall McDermott. Star of the show for me had to be Eugene Ketaing though. Here we have a forward that can win dirty ball and kick scores. He scored 5 points on an All-Star full back, only one of which was a free. I think he'll trouble any team, we just need to get the ball into him.

Here's a fifteen I'd be looking at for the qualifiers:

James Reilly, Killian Clarke, Podge O'Reilly, Damien Barkey, Jason McLoughlin, John McCutcheon, James McEnroe, Gearoid McKiernan, David Givney, Niall Smith, Mark McKeever, Niall McDermott, Eugene Keating, Jack Brady, Kevin Tierney,

Barkey and McEnroe are both injured at present but I think they are definitely worth their places. Barkey looked great in the league and McEnroe was one of our better players against Longford last year. We need to try and stick to a panel of 30 and make the odd change here and there now though. That's why Terry needs to be given his four years. If he falls out with different lads, let him fall out with them. We've had 7 managers in ten years (Mattie Kerrigan, Eamonn Coleman, Martin McElhennon, Donal Keoghan, Tommy Carr, Val Andrews and now Terry). That's beyond a joke. One needs to be given time and Terry has had success with the U21s so he needs to be given it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭martyeds

cavan4sam wrote: »
    not an unexpected result but with a bit of luck we might have made a better game of it ie. hitting the crossbar and dubious penalty
    glad we played football today and i think when we play a football team we might just do a little bit better

Care to explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

martyeds wrote: »
    Care to explain?

Dont mind them marty, its just plain jealousy and bitterness from the fact that Donegal are streets ahead of Cavan, rather than focus on their own shortcomings they take snide swipes at others.

Am not overly disappointed with the result yesterday - we have to be realistic and realise where we are at and at least there were some signs that Terry is putting together a decent team that has better days ahead.

Positives for me were performance by Keating (with very little ball it has to be said) Givney at midfield was impressive, Mark McKeever had a good game and was obviously told to sit behind the midfield, Podge gave a cracking display of how a captain should lead by example. Kilian Clarke, Jack Brady done enough to show they have what it takes at this level, Bud had a good game and was very unlucky not to get a goal early on.

Negatives was the turnout of Cavan supporters - lowest turn out for an Ulster Championship home game I can remember. We need to get behind the team not stay away!!

Disappointed that the lads after starting so well lost their way for 15 mins in the first half once a few things went against them. - It has to be drilled into the players to stick with it and believe in the system even when things are going against you- hopefully they will learn that.

Thought it was wrong to play McKiernan and was a gamble that could have gone badly wrong for the lad - I know he's a big player for us but he's young and shouldn't be risked like that if so obviously not fit - we nearly wrecked Dermot McCabe doing the same thing.

Thought we were incredibly niave in not spotting the short kick-out earlier - we were letting Donegal get to the half way line uncontested.

Playing Ronan Flanagan in the half forward didn't work - can see the logic behind it but it didn't work and should have been changed quicker. Also thought Bud should have been left on as he was doing ok.

But having said all that :) its a young team with a new manager and hopefully they will have taken the positives out of yesterday - it was always going to be a steep learning curve at this level and Donegal are a battle hardened strong team.

I hope Terry can keep the panel together for the qualifiers and have a decent crack at it.

Dont mind them marty, its just plain jealousy and bitterness from the fact that Donegal are streets ahead of Cavan, rather than focus on their own shortcomings they take snide swipes at others.

"Them" is a plural word. Where exactly have you seen more than one poster make a "snide swipe"? I said in my own post that Donegal are streets ahead of Cavan and I said it well before the game.

So have other users bar one so don't come in here with your stirring spoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

martyeds wrote: »
    Care to explain?

i'm sorry i just dont like it and i think its a very bad advert for football
    it may be effective short term but when they meet an experienced team with a plan b they will be in real trouble , as we troubled them with the long ball yesterday
    i'm not bitter or in envy as i'd prefer to play and lose every time than play in that system

• Advertisement

GERRYMAC65 wrote: »
    Iv a feeling Donegal have a bit of an opinion of themselves which is a serious weakness.
    cavan4sam wrote: »
    as for donegal i think they are a 1 trick pony and wont feature this year and they will struggle if they are to beat us especially if murphy is missing
    Lemlin wrote: »
    "Them" is a plural word. Where exactly have you seen more than one poster make a "snide swipe"? I said in my own post that Donegal are streets ahead of Cavan and I said it well before the game.

So have other users bar one so don't come in here with your stirring spoon.

There are two such comments Lemlin, two is plural ;)

There are two such comments Lemlin, two is plural ;)

The above comments were made before the game. The comment the Donegal poster took exception to was made after the game and in reference to their footballing style.

Now go away with your spoon elsewhere. If you've nothing to add to the thread, I can't see why you're here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Here's a fifteen I'd be looking at for the qualifiers:

James Reilly, Killian Clarke, Podge O'Reilly, Damien Barkey, Jason McLoughlin, John McCutcheon, James McEnroe, Gearoid McKiernan, David Givney, Niall Smith, Mark McKeever, Niall McDermott, Eugene Keating, Jack Brady, Kevin Tierney,
    I would have Mossy centre back and move McCutcheon out to the wing in place of McLoughlin, not that McLoughlin did bad yesterday. Swap Brady and McDermott in the forwards, McDermott is better suited to being inside. I dont like the look of the forward line but there isnt much else, will be relying on Keating for most of the scores.

We are not going to achieve anything in the next 12 months so I wouldnt mind another year or two of spirited but ultimately disappointing results until the best of this years and last years U21 teams are ready to form the bones of our senior championship team. Guys like O'Meara, Barkey, two Moynaghs, Brady, Clarke, McLoughlin, Tierney, Barry Reilly, McKiernan and Mooney (and perhaps Packie Leddy, Paddy King and Buck McKiernan if they decide they want it) should form a decent intercounty team, with the experience coming from the likes of Podge, Keating, Givney and McCutcheon. We wont go far in the qualifiers this year and are unlikely to win an Ulster Championship game next year (unless we draw Fermanagh) but hopefully Terry is building towards 2014.

The big thing we should learn from Donegal is how players should be conditioned. The Donegal players were strong but lean, not bulky. They were agile, able to get around the pitch and could not be stopped because they moved at pace. In Cavan, players seem to be told they need to gain mass, regardless of how it effects their mobility. We have some very good young footballers and with the right conditioning will be able to compete with teams like Donegal in the future. Going back to my earlier post, I hope guys like Clarke and McLoughlin dont join the senior panel until afer the U21 championship next year (if at all), we have a habit of fast tracking players and ruining them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭celt262

McCutcheon has a broken collarbone i doubt you will be seen him in the qualifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The above comments were made before the game. The comment the Donegal poster took exception to was made after the game and in reference to their footballing style.

Now go away with your spoon elsewhere. If you've nothing to add to the thread, I can't see why you're here.

How much did you have to pay to own the thread? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Tom Joad wrote: »
    <snip>
    Negatives was the turnout of Cavan supporters - lowest turn out for an Ulster Championship home game I can remember. We need to get behind the team not stay away!!
    <snip>.
    really?
    there was 12,847 there on Sunday according to the examiner.
    Last year against Donegal in Breffni there was 9,325 3,500 odd less than this year.
    The year before against Fermanagh 9,677 again in Breffni
    In 2009 Cavan played Antrim in Clones in the Ulster semi in front of 16,377 BUT Antrim is the second largest GAA county in terms of clubs after Cork (if my trivia is correct) so they would bring the odd supporter with them to see them reach their first final in 40+ years,

keane2097 wrote: »
    How much did you have to pay to own the thread? :rolleyes:

Well if someone has nothing productive to add and their reason to post on the thread is trolling, I can't see why they should be here. Can you?

really?
    Last year against Donegal in Breffni there was 9,325 3,500 odd less than this year.
    In 2009 Cavan played Antrim in Clones in the Ulster semi in front of 16,377 BUT Antrim is the second largest GAA county in terms of clubs after Cork (if my trivia is correct) so they would bring the odd supporter with them to see them reach their first final in 40+ years,

13k from both counties though. Tom makes reference to "Cavan supporters" of which there appeared to be less than at last year's game.

I think Donegal's run last year has increased their number of supporters. Also, Donegal seemed to be expecting a better game than they got with Cavan's recent underage success and travelled in numbers.

I saw one couple near us leave at half-time because Donegal were six ahead and had the game won. A four or five hour round trip to watch 35 minutes of senior football :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Well if someone has nothing productive to add and their reason to post on the thread is trolling, I can't see why they should be here. Can you?

And you're the grand arbiter of what constitutes a productive post are you?

Congratulations on being the most sanctimonious poster on the GAA forum, you're borderline intolerable most of the time and I'm not even involved in the argument.

BUT Antrim is the second largest GAA county in terms of clubs after Cork (if my trivia is correct) so they would bring the odd supporter with them to see them reach their first final in 40+ years,

Nope they have the joint third highest of affiliated clubs, behind Cork and Dublin and joint with Limerick, but the number of members in the clubs in those other and many other counties would be far far greater than Antrims.

• Advertisement

really?

Nice work on the stats! Not for a second disputing your figures but am genuinely surprised by them figures. Maybe it was the lack of atmosphere and the fact that to me it appeared that Cavan support was outnumbered. Or maybe it's the rose tinted glasses thinking that we always had a huge support. :)

There was as many Donegal supporters at the game as Cavan.

keane2097 wrote: »
    And you're the grand arbiter of what constitutes a productive post are you?

Congratulations on being the most sanctimonious poster on the GAA forum, you're borderline intolerable most of the time and I'm not even involved in the argument.

Well, what do you think was the purpose of his post?

I've no problem with being sanctimonious on this board. I've posted on two topics in the past while. Cavan GAA and Seanie Johnston and, from reading the views of others, I know a damn sight more about both topics than others.

Now, have you any comments on Cavan GAA? This is a thread about Cavan GAA after all.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    I would have Mossy centre back and move McCutcheon out to the wing in place of McLoughlin, not that McLoughlin did bad yesterday. Swap Brady and McDermott in the forwards, McDermott is better suited to being inside. I dont like the look of the forward line but there isnt much else, will be relying on Keating for most of the scores.

We are not going to achieve anything in the next 12 months so I wouldnt mind another year or two of spirited but ultimately disappointing results until the best of this years and last years U21 teams are ready to form the bones of our senior championship team. Guys like O'Meara, Barkey, two Moynaghs, Brady, Clarke, McLoughlin, Tierney, Barry Reilly, McKiernan and Mooney (and perhaps Packie Leddy, Paddy King and Buck McKiernan if they decide they want it) should form a decent intercounty team, with the experience coming from the likes of Podge, Keating, Givney and McCutcheon. We wont go far in the qualifiers this year and are unlikely to win an Ulster Championship game next year (unless we draw Fermanagh) but hopefully Terry is building towards 2014.

The big thing we should learn from Donegal is how players should be conditioned. The Donegal players were strong but lean, not bulky. They were agile, able to get around the pitch and could not be stopped because they moved at pace. In Cavan, players seem to be told they need to gain mass, regardless of how it effects their mobility. We have some very good young footballers and with the right conditioning will be able to compete with teams like Donegal in the future. Going back to my earlier post, I hope guys like Clarke and McLoughlin dont join the senior panel until afer the U21 championship next year (if at all), we have a habit of fast tracking players and ruining them.

I actually think a forward line of Tierney, Keating and Brady/McDermott is a very good forward line and the ability is there for it to be a top forward line. I always find myself thinking of one line in reference to Cavan teams at the minute and it's "in a couple of years". There's no doubting there's some talent there but hopefully it comes to fruition.

Just wondering, does anyone know is Oisin Minagh from Redhills injured or where is he? I had heard Redhills were carrying alot of injuries this year but not sure if he is one. I'd just seen that he's dropped off the county panel completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Swarm_Attack

I would agree with other posters in that I was relatively pleased with how the Donegal game went. Obviously its not nice to lose but i felt there were far more encouraging signs form the game. We got an honest performance from a young team who got punished for some mistakes but you just have to hope they learn.

I think Terry has identified that he can the spine of what could be potentially a very good team there. The likes of Keating, Givney, McKiernan etc all have the guts of ten years football in them if they want it and it is clear that Podge has developed into a leader of the group as has McKeever.

Along with the team that played at the weekend there are several more I want to see back involved but I know that they are injured at present. They are O'Meara, Barkey, McEnroe, McCutcheon, Minnagh, Barry Reilly, Tighe, and Watters. You add in those eight to what played at the weekend and I think we have a very strong squad in two years who are all around 23 or 24.

The fact that 7 of that injured list played in an u21 final since Terry comes in slightly concerns me. Is it just a coincidence or has juggling college, club and county u21 and senior teams for three or 4 years of their lives taken its toll on their bodies. I think, although I am not fully sure, that three of them have had groin operations

• Registered Users Posts: 3 richiej_uk

Well he was never approached by the manager since he was dropped. Even ppl who were prepared to act as go between between himself and Val were knocked back. The new management didn't approach him either as he wasn't playing club football in the county .seems they only want players playing local club football. Anyway Terry you will be able to see for yourself on TV this summer if Seanie is any good!!!! So as we will all see, Cavans loss is kildares gain. Speaking with mcgeeney it's seems he has been training with Kildare 5/6 nites a week plus travelling to work in Cavan every day. Mcgeeney reckons he could not have asked more from Seanie!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 richiej_uk

Donegal were there for the taking last Sunday. Its interesting that 3 of Cavans best performer , Keating, McKeever, and Corr when he came on were not part of Hylands u21 brigade. Maybe we are discarding lads that are 26/27 too soon?
    Hyland has to take the blinkers off as regard the u21s he managed,
    Why did Martin Dunne not make the panel? Didnt he score 1-5 for the gaels against Redhills so he must have been fit.
    There is no way Any management should get 5 years. 2 at max then reviewed.
    Everybody convienently forgets the mess thar was made of the 2010 ulster u21 final.
    What about the hammering against Galway where we were tactically completely out of our dept.
    We must have tried every u21 at senior level,,, we even trying last years minors now
    we need a blend of youth and experience. Hyland has to get the mix right. U21S ALONE will win NOTHING AT SENIOR LEVEL.
    Hyland is not the man to lead us forward at senior level. His contribution at senior level proves that this past 7 years

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Swarm_Attack

richiej_uk wrote: »
    Donegal were there for the taking last Sunday. Its interesting that 3 of Cavans best performer , Keating, McKeever, and Corr when he came on were not part of Hylands u21 brigade. Maybe we are discarding lads that are 26/27 too soon?
    Why did Martin Dunne not make the panel? Didnt he score 1-5 for the gaels against Redhills so he must have been fit.
    Everybody convienently forgets the mess thar was made of the 2010 ulster u21 final.
    What about the hammering against Galway where we were tactically completely out of our dept.
    We must have tried every u21 at senior level,,, we even trying last years minors now
    we need a blend of youth and experience. Hyland has to get the mix right. U21S ALONE will win NOTHING AT SENIOR LEVEL.
    Hyland is not the man to lead us forward at senior level. His contribution at senior level proves that this past 7 years

Richie you will find Keating was one of Hyland's u21 brigade.

I am truly amazed at how much you seem against Hyland. What he did with the Cavan u21's last year would be like the Costa Rica manager getting the team to a World Cup final against Brazil and then just because they lost that one game fans think he is out of his depth. Would you wise up mate.

In three years, Hyland got Cavan u21's to three Ulster finals delivered two Ulster titles and gave us a great day out in Croke Park where we were beaten by a brilliant Galway team. Do I agree with every decision Hyland has made over the years? Certainly not, but I can't think of a better man I want looking after the Cavan senior team right now. Over the course of three years with the u21's he delivered a success rate of 75% (that's nine wins from twelve games) yet you make out as if we have some fool running our team. Do you remember the shambles we look at for years at u21 level in particular? No Cavan manager in recent times has a record near that.

You are right when you say u21s alone wont win anything at senior level. However, most Cavan fans have realised we need rebuilding and that immediate senior success is out of our reach no matter what team we put out right now. So do we keep chopping and changing in the hope that we will miraculously stumble upon a magic formula to deliver success or do we seek stability and try to build a team gradually. I know which option I prefer and I know which option any man with intelligence would select. Let me give you a hint, the first option we have tried repeatedly for the guts of the last decade and went backwards.

You say Hyland has been there 7 years and contributed nothing. I don't know the ins and outs of it but I can't think of a more educated and experienced man then to try take on the job. He has clearly developed as a manager over that period as his record with not only Cavan u21's but Lavey also suggests.

Do you think Mourinho was always a world beater manager? No, he learned his trade and served under many different managers. He even was a translator to Bobby Robson at Barcelona. Hyland doesn't know all the answers but who does? You find out answers to problems through experience and picking up knowledge.

I have talked longer than I planned but I repeat what I said earlier. I can't think of one single person I would prefer to be managing Cavan right now.

Just out of interest, who would you prefer?

He would probably want Sean Johnston as player manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

richiej_uk wrote: »

wonderful richie has found boards to spam now along with hoganstand.... is nowhere safe;)

Advertisement