Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

The Freeze bites back -6th December onwards (All discussion here please)

• 05-12-2010 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Well with the severe snowy part of the Big Freeze behind us we are facing a week of severe frosts with temperatures expected to touch -10c or perhaps below tonight/ Monday night and Tuesday night.

There are signs that from Friday and into the weekend things will warm up abit, just back to average though, with maxima from 4-10c and nighttime temperatures -1c to +5c. This is as high pressure is expected to topple in from the Atlantic.

There are signs that this high will sit over us for a number of days and medium-longterm forecasts suggest the high will position itself over Greenland towards December 15th with potential for a reload of cold around this period.

Short Term

In the more short term there is potential for a relatively surprising snowfall during Monday.

A front will push south during the day bringing rain/sleet and snow.

The position and intensity of the front is still very much up in the air, but there is growing suggestion it may bring a decent fall to Ulster/ Midlands, N Leinster.

The timing may determine whether it will fall as snow. In Ulster the timings suggest it could be all snow, but further south it is expected to arrive towards evening and temperatures may have warmed enough to turn it to sleet/rain.

So don't be too surprised if the Big Freeze bites back with what could drop towards 10cm of snow in Ulster and upto 5cm widely further south.

10120612_0506.gif

10120618_0506.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

i'm not sure if we'll see any snow for the remainder of the month here in dublin, but that's just a gut feeling. could be wrong of course.

i would say it will take a while for all the snow to melt off though and in the meantime road conditions will remain treacherous at night time with the thawing happening during the day and then re-freezing at night.

there was black ice all over our road last night and a bit of freezing fog in some areas. temperature is -3C at the moment up here. windchill was around -9C about an hour ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Lemon3

Most of our snow is sone but roads around me are covered in a sheet of black ice, never seen anything like it. Absolutely no cars are driving on it as it is lethal. no one can get out of our estate, we are iced in :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Yes, I think we will get another cold spell (hopefully with snow potential) from around the middle of the month.

Most of the models have been fairly consistent in showing a return to some form of colder weather in FI and MT also believes it could happen. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,533 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

yr.no shows snow for me tomorrow. It usually is fairly accurate. It's a pity from my perspective about it warming up towards the end of the week, but if it's a precursor to a reload of sustained cold around Christmas then it's tolerable. Of course there is the very real danger that the high ends up being pure awkward in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

Accuweather has Ireland into double figures by next weekend. Then down to about 3 and 4 by the 17th. I don't care if we get mild weather now as long as we get cold and snow for Christmas.
    What do the weather peeps here think? Is there much milder weather coming in and will it get cold again?
    Here where I am, we didn't experience anything like the East got, so I am waiting for some decent snowfalls

I just copied my post from another thread because this one will prob be more active

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

the weather guru M.T. Cranium said his research suggests that if the cold persists to about the 18th-19th before the full moon, then a winter storm will likely develop at that time (20th-21st), whereas if it does manage to get mild then this would become a rainfall event followed by colder weather. Thinking now that the odds would favour this being a winter storm event ... and possibly we are on our way to the coldest December in many years and around the weekend of the 11th-12th it should once again start to turn colder but this time perhaps in a much more organized northerly outbreak that may return temperatures to near freezing. Remember, we're keeping a close watch on the period 19th-22nd for a winter storm.

correct me if i am but if the winter storm were to happen it would surely bring more snow or am i just reading it wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Ah a thread that just cheered up an icy Sunday. Hmmmm. Snow for tomorrow ? Excellent if it happens .... if.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

The thaw seems to have taken a break for today, we still have most of our snow, any we lost is now ice. If it continues this cold for a few day the snow will be be around for a while.

irish1967 wrote: »
    Ah a thread that just cheered up an icy Sunday. Hmmmm. Snow for tomorrow ? Excellent if it happens .... if.

its great having a thread back again talking about snow or the potential for more snow i did not know what to do with myself when the last snow watch thread going on all last week died out when the snow did

smokin ace wrote: »
    the weather guru M.T. Cranium said his research suggests that if the cold persists to about the 18th-19th before the full moon, then a winter storm will likely develop at that time (20th-21st), whereas if it does manage to get mild then this would become a rainfall event followed by colder weather. Thinking now that the odds would favour this being a winter storm event ... and possibly we are on our way to the coldest December in many years and around the weekend of the 11th-12th it should once again start to turn colder but this time perhaps in a much more organized northerly outbreak that may return temperatures to near freezing. Remember, we're keeping a close watch on the period 19th-22nd for a winter storm.

correct me if i am but if the winter storm were to happen it would surely bring more snow or am i just reading it wrong

it could bring epic snowfall to some, while others people shakes their fists skywards as it rains heavily. i hope M.T. is right but you need the perfect storm so to speak for us to get substantial snowfall from a deep Atlantic depression. It could easily take the wrong track.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

The country in still entrenched in very cold air. As it stands now most of the country is below freezing or just hovering above it. Looks like we will have this for a few more days yet. Temp in Waterford City right now is 1.1c, got down to a min of -1.8c last night. The fresh NNW wind @ 11km/h is making it feel very cold.

More Details @ www.waterfordcityweather.com

smokin ace wrote: »
    its great having a thread back again talking about snow or the potential for more snow i did not know what to do with myself when the last snow watch thread going on all last week died out when the snow did

next time call the SAA - Snow Addicts Anonymous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

Well the BBC country tracks forecast showed a whiteout for all of the north of Ireland tomorrow morning, said they are keeping an eye on it and could be heavy snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭mvron

Local road outside my house & the pavements still lethal but main roads here just have a little slush.
    How do you know a real thaw has set in.....when the junk mail starts arriving again (as of an hour ago!) :rolleyes:

Be careful lads. Don't start making this regional !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

Im not counting my chickens,Im on the border of that pink line meeting the rain.
    Think MR.Atlantic may crash the party and be a nuisance again.

Pangea wrote: »
    Im not counting my chickens,Im on the border of that pink line meeting the rain.
    Think MR.Atlantic may crash the party and be a nuisance again.

Ah ramp it up anyway ! Cant end up being more disappointing than watching the East getting its streamers last week

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

:) The last snowfall is just starting to thaw and we're off on the next big prospect ! I love it :p If only we could be as optomistic about our country !

:) The last snowfall is just starting to thaw and we're off on the next big prospect ! I love it :p If only we could be as optomistic about our country !

jesus leave the state of the country to another thread i think people start and come to the weather threads to get away from all that crap

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

yr.no shows snow for me tomorrow. It usually is fairly accurate.

Hey Nacho, whats the link to this? Can only see satellite animations on the main page and searched for precipitation etc.
    Cheers

Joan Blackburn going for sleet/snow with possible heavy snow up North

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Wow so if there is snow again.Cork will miss out again:rolleyes:

yr.no shows snow for me tomorrow. It usually is fairly accurate.

Hey Nacho, whats the link to this? Can only see satellite animations on the main page and searched for precipitation etc.
    Cheers

Joan Blackburn going for sleet/snow with possible heavy snow up North

http://www.yr.no

if only this was due south at around 4-6 am in the morning.

Met.ie charts are showing medium to heavy percipitation for here tomorrow noon and temps below 0c at same time and NW wind... the are forecasting sleet/snow so are hedging their bets a little... would like to see it hit a little earlier in the day before temps get any chance to rise. :D

My thoughts exactly Nacho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

What a horrible forecast by Evelyn, more snow, ice, broken bones, fractures, possible death, frozen pipes, homeless people freezing, elderly house bound.....

Bring back the thaw and get rid of the hardship.

Min wrote: »
    What a horrible forecast by Evelyn, more snow, ice, broken bones, fractures, possible death, frozen pipes, homeless people freezing, elderly house bound.....

I think you need this thread ;)

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056109744

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

I don't think it will make much difference when the front hit's here as temp stay around freezing all day.

This could be a serious situation tomorrow in some parts of the country with heavy snow fall in one place ( Ulster, North Midlands ) and freezing rain in other parts with Black Ice.

It's going to be another fun day on the road. (NOT) :rolleyes:

Min wrote: »

i dont think this is the thread that you should be posting in unless you have some good snow news and by the looks of things you dont so please go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Tomorrow's predicted rainfall/snowfall at 4pm.

prec_nordeuro-28.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

We've had freezing thaw (thawing in the sun, freezing in the shade) and freezing rain/snizzle in Sligo since Friday evening now. Cold and shady corners everywhere are absolutely lethal with packed ice, even on main roads that have been gritted. The air is slightly too warm but the ground is still frozen solid ...at best the top is thawing but dig down a few mm and it's still frozen.

A foot of snow would really help to make things driveable/walkable again.

• Advertisement

Looking at the charts and forecasts I could have snow here from 8.30am until around 4pm tomorrow... still 2-3inches of the frozen stuff from Friday on the ground here... worst case scenario is that its rain but it would be a lot to expect that it will all be rain for that lenght of time given the temps.:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement