Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Freeze bites back -6th December onwards (All discussion here please)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Boys and Girls.. Lads and Lassies... lets all take a deep breath... I know a lot of people are probably ratty after the last week but lets keep this to the thread title.. every few posts are wandering... no I am not a moderator but I come here to chat about and learn about the weather. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Last night totally different to what I woke up to today. Two accidents on the road outside my estate between 9 and 11 am and about half a dozen cars belong to people on my estate abandoned on the side of the road.

@ Villian. Thanks for the offer of help, I dont need any help at present but when I saw this would go on for a week then I start to worry. Also I wouldnt ask anyone to come up to my estate because the road outside it is lethal.

Ahh now in all fairness. I think you're overdoing it just a tad. You live in an estate which would suggest an urban location. I think that you will be able to get your oil, your shopping even an ambulance or fire brigade. Certainly you will have acess to those things much easier than someone living in a rural area particularly one that is hilly.

I agree that the roads are particularly slippery after the freezing rain last night. It's the same for us all and we get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

irish1967 wrote: »
    Boys and Girls.. Lads and Lassies... lets all take a deep breath... I know a lot of people are probably ratty after the last week but lets keep this to the thread title.. every few posts are wandering... no I am not a moderator but I come here to chat about and learn about the weather. :o

Well said!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Just reading the last few pages, when did this become the 'lets whinge about the weather thread'. Its probably the most pointless thing you can do since nobody has any control over it, just deal with it and get on with it like everyone else.

or at the very least if people must complain could they keep it to a specific thread, like the thaw thread;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

francie81 wrote: »
    Did I tell you to get a life specifically? No am referring to people who would rather sit at home on the great irish welfare system and give out about this/that and without trying to stereotype here but this is the kind of disgusting era that surrounds us. Fairplay to ya your doing something constructive I admire that but next time think before you make an assumption.

Ok lad i see you what you mean, I looked back at your post i took it up wrong. Sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭mac80

amacachi wrote: »
    Really not looking forward to trying to get up and down to Dublin this week looking at the forecasts, sigh.

I hear you brother ! :( Damn M1 is bad enough on a good day ) But the snow does look nice ! :D

yr.no has here (Donegal Town) with a midday temp of 2c rising to a balmy 4c in the early afternoon tomorrow which almost certainly means rain and not snow. Castle bar is given not to move above 0c tomorrow and snow all day !
    Just for comparison.. it gives castlebar as -6c right now.. how accurate is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭lachin

Guys what are the chances of snow for Tipp? Bring it on!!

lachin wrote: »
    Guys what are the chances of snow for Tipp? Bring it on!!
    I reckon that if the front gets as far as you.. it will be snow. Getting to you with any amount of percip will be the biggie though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Brian Cowen must think all his birthdays came at once.
    The weather has taken over the news(rightly so), and left all talk of bailouts and budgets in 2nd place.
    Could the weather get top story Tues night over the budget!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭lachin

irish1967 wrote: »
    I reckon that if the front gets as far as you.. it will be snow. Getting to you with any amount of percip will be the biggie though.

Feck hope it comes fully loaded!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

The weather has taken over the news(rightly so), and left all talk of bailouts and budgets in 2nd place.

Only if Brian Lenihan freezes to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Well we all know what's coming with the budget ...no surprises there. The weather however...:D

I just hope that front has snow in it for Sligo ..snow I can handle. Freezing rain is scary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

yr.no saying 0C and snow tomorrow evening, -1 during the day . . .for kilkenny . .but i don't really trust them, i'll wait to see what M.T. says in the morning!!

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Because I was not prepared for MONTH Of this or for such an inept county council that doesnt grit roads. I am well used to harsher winters than this coming from the NE US but the incompetence of this country to take care of the roads and the safety of their citizens is really monumentally awful.

Event the taxis arent running. Last year the ambulences werent running.

Im fine for oil but eventually people wont be.

No one cant get here. I would not ask anyone to risk their lives on the ice rink. The neighbors even put up a road block because two cars got into accidents this morning.

We all empathise with your plight but this surely is a weather enthusists forum and not for these issues. Perhaps another forum is more appropriate for you to vent these issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

Just watched the bbc weather.

warm coming in on thursday friday,
    and his last comments of the night was.

"while it may be warmer for a few days do not expect it to last"

more cold on its way:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Wait a second. I thought the snow and winter precipitation was all over for the moment? Is there a high possibility of snow tomorrow over say West Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Whats the chances of it snowing in Dublin tommorow evening at rush hour :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Whats the chances of it snowing in Dublin tommorow evening at rush hour :confused:

Pretty high chance of snow/sleet/freezing rain FROM 3-4P.M. onwards . . .

If the front has enough power to make it across the country you will see something falling. Could fizzle out before it makes Dublin though

• Advertisement

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is 'freezing rain' exactly ? , like hail ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Dont think the snow is quite away yet, BBC weather webite predicting snow for the NW of the country tomorrow, and they were bang on with the snow for friday morning and the time it fell. Also a weather warning for NI tommorrow issued by the UK met office for possible heave snow.

met office

beeb

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

freezing rain is rain that freezes as soon as it hits the ground. Roads in mayo today are lethal because of this today,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

irish-stew wrote: »
    Dont think the snow is quite away yet, BBC weather webite predicting snow for the NW of the country tomorrow, and they were bang on with the snow for friday morning and the time it fell. Also a weather warning for NI tommorrow issued by the UK met office for possible heave snow.

met office

beeb

exciting stuff! felt very left out last week with dublin getting all the snow :o

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is 'freezing rain' exactly ? , like hail ?

Nope, it's proper, normal rain. Only that it falls on frozen ground and transforms immediately into ice.

In the right (wrong) conditions you can get ice build up of several cm within minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Just watched the bbc weather.

warm coming in on thursday friday,
    and his last comments of the night was.

"while it may be warmer for a few days do not expect it to last"

more cold on its way:cool:
    I noticed Evelyn's chart for next Sunday Dec 12th at 630 this evening. It showed a Scandinavian anticyclone 1033 and it looked to me like an easterly airflow.:)

peasant wrote: »
    Nope, it's proper, normal rain. Only that it falls on frozen ground and transforms immediately into ice.

In the right (wrong) conditions you can get ice build up of several cm within minutes

Sounds deadly (as in lethal)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

mac80 wrote: »
    I hear you brother ! :( Damn M1 is bad enough on a good day ) But the snow does look nice ! :D

Last week was a joke, only the inside lane was usable but was actually fine, but there were still gimps going about 10 mph in it and no-one could overtake because the outside lane was pure ice. And the streets in Dublin were no better which is nearly worse. Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Photos of clean up today, so much snow only place to dump it is river!!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69399929#post69399929

• Advertisement

Sounds deadly (as in lethal)

T' is

Do a google image search for "blitzeis" or "ice storm"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement