Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email to RTÉ complaints

Options
  • 21-11-2010 10:40pm

With the mods permission and the permission of the OP of this post, themadhair, I thought it should be given a thread of it's own, before it gets lost in the thread it was originally posted in here.

Email this to RTÉ complaints and let them know you're not going to stand for it:

complaints@rte.ie

To whom it may concern,

Earlier this evening there was a press conference wherein the Taoiseach and finance minister of our country told us, the Irish people, that Ireland had formally asked the EU for financial aid. Despite the importance of this event I have to say that I am absolutely livid at RTE and how they covered the event. There are two major bones of contention that have disappointed me greatly;

1) Your journalist asked the first questions off the Taoiseach and the finance minister. Despite this opportunity, your journalist asked the most irrelevant questions of the conference. It is astounding to me that the BBC journalist could display more understanding and solidarity with the Irish people in his questioning than could the RTE journalist.

2) RTE cut their coverage of the conference short, particularly when the hard questions wanted by the Irish people were being asked. Given the importance of this event I am staggered at the editorial decision taken by RTE to cut their coverage of the questioning short.

RTE has a responsibility to keep the Irish people informed of political developments, and that responsibility was shirked tonight. That many people on internet forums learned more details regarding this press conference, and could access the conference in full, on foreign channels rather than the national broadcaster is a disgrace.

The Irish people who pay their licences to fund RTE deserved better.

Regards,
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Email them yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

With the mods permission and the permission of the OP of this post, themadhair, I thought it should be given a thread of it's own, before it gets lost in the thread it was originally posted in here.

Email this to RTÉ complaints and let them know you're not going to stand for it:

complaints@rte.ie

To whom it may concern,

Earlier this evening there was a press conference wherein the Taoiseach and finance minister of our country told us, the Irish people, that Ireland had formally asked the EU for financial aid. Despite the importance of this event I have to say that I am absolutely livid at RTE and how they covered the event. There are two major bones of contention that have disappointed me greatly;

1) Your journalist asked the first questions off the Taoiseach and the finance minister. Despite this opportunity, your journalist asked the most irrelevant questions of the conference. It is astounding to me that the BBC journalist could display more understanding and solidarity with the Irish people in his questioning than could the RTE journalist.

2) RTE cut their coverage of the conference short, particularly when the hard questions wanted by the Irish people were being asked. Given the importance of this event I am staggered at the editorial decision taken by RTE to cut their coverage of the questioning short.

RTE has a responsibility to keep the Irish people informed of political developments, and that responsibility was shirked tonight. That many people on internet forums learned more details regarding this press conference, and could access the conference in full, on foreign channels rather than the national broadcaster is a disgrace.

The Irish people who pay their licences to fund RTE deserved better.

Regards,

I already sent a mail complaining. The only reason that conference should have been cut short on television is a technical breakdown. It was a ****ing joke and they can whistle for their ****ing licence if they pull **** like that.

I'm the angriest I have been in years. I got punched in the face for no reason once, and I was still calmer than right now.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

People who complain but can't be bothered to write their own complaint generally aren't taken seriously. If you want to complain write your own complaint and send it in.

Email them yourself.

I already have. Have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭cml387

Just one point,was the conference covered in full onthe RTE NEWS channel,or did they cut at the same time as RTE1?

I switched to BBC news24 so I don't know.

• Advertisement

No. And I don't plan to either.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

info@tv3.ie

Dear TV3 news,

Thank you for not interrupting coverage of X-Factor for that dreary press conference over on RTÉ One. I think I heard one of your presenters on there before it was quickly taken off the air, I turned back to TV3 patriotically to see what's happening with Mary Byrne.

Kind regards,

Avid Viewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

I am from an internet forum and I am angry

Herp Derp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Dont waste your time - and wouldnt it be better to email Comreg instead??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

I hope you didn't sign yourself off as boneyarsedbogman?

anyroad, they acknowledged mine with

Thank you for contacting complaints@rte.ie. Your e-mail will be responded to as soon as possible.

RTÉ Corporate Communications

Go raibh maith agat as ucht do theagmhála chuig
    complaints@rte.ie. Cuirfear freagra ort a thúisce agus is féidir linn.

How long for the actual reply? should I put the kettle on?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Hackysack

Something tells me you're not gonna like Starbelgrade's response on that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Maybe they just presumed the nation were too busy watching the latest mass opiate on one of the X Factor channels

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

"To whom it may concern" is a bloody awful way to start a letter

I would suggest "mein dearest josef"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Dont waste your time - and wouldnt it be better to email Comreg instead??

That would be the BAI don't be bothering ComReg, different Quango. http://www.bai.ie/broadcasting_complaints.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

On the street today I was asked by a reporter from the BBC to do a voxpop about the bailout.

I wailed, pulled my hat down over my face and cried, "This is worse than After Hours! I just want to go home and have my dinner."

Seriously - it's been a long week. I need my bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

I always watch sky news dont like RTE
    they are professionals with news, weather etc Irish telly is crap everything Irish is going to be crap for years and years to come

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Yo Buddy. You still alive?

I already used that email but I swapped learned for learnt.

This still is AH and sometimes that is just how I roll. Or Rolled as the case might have been.

Hackysack wrote: »
    Something tells me you're not gonna like Starbelgrade's response on that...

It doesn't bother me. Some people will want to, some people won't. It's not place to try and force them to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

OP is 100% right.
    One of the momentous occasions in Irish history and what do we have to do to hear insightfull and probing questions.......... switch to Sky Feckin News.
    As soon as Vincent Browne came on to question our TEA-SHOCK they were back to studio for analysis.
    Christ our lives will be changed forever after this.
    Mad as fcuk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭figarofigaro

I sent them my own email.

To whom it may concern,

RTE made a pitiful effort of broadcasting the press conference with Brian Cowen and Brian Lenihan. **** was weak. The BBC was streets ahead. I watched it simultaneously online. I think it is RTE's responsibility as a public broadcasting network to cover this event with the weight it deserves. If that means pulling an episode of Fair City JUST ****ING DO IT! We actually have to pay a license fee for ****'s sake. I would strongly suggest that RTE publicly acknowledge their shortcoming in the coverage of such a historical event. It would surprise me if RTE had the courage to do it though. I think I'll go and bang my head against the wall in frustration.
    **** y'all,

OP is 100% right.
    One of the momentous occasions in Irish history and what do we have to do to hear insightfull and probing questions.......... switch to Sky Feckin News.
    As soon as Vincent Browne came on to question our TEA-SHOCK they were back to studio for analysis.
    Christ our lives will be changed forever after this.
    Mad as fcuk

You are being hysterical.

It was a press conference & a fairly predictable one at that. It wasn't a momentous occasion & our lives won't be forever changed by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

What a badly written letter. Talk about cringe.

'many people on internet forums'

Herp derp indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Times like this make me glad i dont pay my TV license... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Can someone please post a link of the press conference if it's up somewhere, I've been on the bus for the last 4 hours and I thought someone would've put a link up on AH. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

In case yas missed it, basically Coward and Lendahand (Coward mainly) told VB that they do not accept responsiblity for the recession.

Aren't they great! Really going to get this country back on its feet with an attitude like that. sarcasm

You have to hand it to them, they know how to avoid a question. Pity they can't avoid this debt we are in just as easily...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Thank God for BBC News and Sky News.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

cml387 wrote: »
    Just one point,was the conference covered in full onthe RTE NEWS channel,or did they cut at the same time as RTE1?

I switched to BBC news24 so I don't know.

Do RTE have a news channel, I thought it was just a repeat of the lunch time new and 6.1 on loop.

This is why I prefer BBC news and have their website as my home page.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

It wasn't a momentous occasion

The country surrenders to the IMF, and it's not a momentous occasion. Go back to the X-Factor forum, son, and leave the adults discuss important stuff.

P.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Dear RTE,

You didn't broadcast sensationalist garbage that i could RABBLE RABBLE along to. I am an Internet Webguy and we constantly over-exaggerate stuff we barely understand. Shame on you for not doing the same.

I will literally kill all of you if i ever meet you. Honest.

You's etc.
    Herper Derper

Advertisement