Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email to RTÉ complaints

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

out of curiousity how have TG4 been reporting this ?

IIRC RTE provides the news service for them

Badly.

They just won't lay it out in plain English so everyone can understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The OP is right and the email campaign on this forum will almost certainly doomed to failure. RTE do have to answer to the broadcasting authority and thats where correspondence should be aimed.

http://www.bci.ie/

Broadcasting Standards Officer: - dmcLoughlin@bci.ie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

Broadcasting authority - another quango!!! like pissing into the sea!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Solely for judging the public mood so perfectly by launching "Fade Street" while the IMF are in town they deserve to be torn apart from the top down.

Never mind the other list of crud that they're making at the moment.

I really resent giving them my €160 this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I would love if RTE fell this time along with the government. The broadcaster may have served some purpose 50 years ago in pulling the Irish people away from the teat of the Catholic Church, but once again society has moved on and don't need their service anymore. Besides the only thing they offer that can't be got somewhere else is more FF propaganda. I smell revolution in the air and Tubridy I have a rope with your name on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Why the hell do people listen to Joe Duffy?

Ffs..... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Threads merged.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

YOu only have to look at the way RTE inflicted the late Gerry Ryan on the nation time and again for 25 years to see its bias.

The man was an avid FF supporter,a Bertie apologist and a proffesional shill for Harry Crosbie and his construction empire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Degsy, I agree with you in general about Gerry Ryan. But, I have to say, he would have been much more savvy about the mood of the nation this morning that his replacement. That gentleman will take NO criticism of the government. Gerry would have taken the populist stance and kicked them when they are down.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

RTE are a joke full stop.

Everyone should stop paying their Tv liecence and see how RTE get one. They dont deserve any money.

• Advertisement

Its time to put our money where are mouths are..stop paying the fcucking TV licence.

Degsy, I agree with you in general about Gerry Ryan. But, I have to say, he would have been much more savvy about the mood of the nation this morning that his replacement. That gentleman will take NO criticism of the government. Gerry would have taken the populist stance and kicked them when they are down.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=56348282481

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I would rather pen a letter to them, none of this fancy E-Mail for me.
    Anyway, maybe they didn't want to shock the people of Ireland with the news, and keep stability going forward and forget what happened over two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Degsy wrote: »
    Its time to put our money where are mouths are..stop paying the fcucking TV licence.

But Degsy, they have heard all the excuses and none of them work... NONE OF THEM!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

Just out of interest how many of you have directed the same sort of anger you are directing at RTE at your local TD? I think this is heard menatlity at its worst and I'm sure Clowen and his gang are delighted you are directing your frustrations at RTE. What did you miss? A couple of Journalists spouting off jockeying for the position of peoples champion? There was nothing to be learned from that press conference that wasn't all ready known.

RTE have let us down but so has every other journalist in the country.Where were they when we needed them to be breaking stories and telling us what was really going on instead of protecting there cushy numbers at advertsier funded newspapers.

This is all smoke and daggers now as a well known cnut would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

You are being hysterical.

It was a press conference & a fairly predictable one at that. It wasn't a momentous occasion & our lives won't be forever changed by it.

The point is that our national broadcaster should not be so out of touch with the mood of the nation or the seriousness of the situation. RTE news has become more and more partial and it stinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

123balltv wrote: »
    I always watch sky news dont like RTE
    they are professionals with news, weather etc Irish telly is crap everything Irish is going to be crap for years and years to come

...starting with our internet forums apparantly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Speaking of complaints...

BBC's Newsnight accused of 'racism' over Irish bail-out bulletin
    Monday November 22 2010

The BBC's Newsnight programme has been accused of "racist" stereotyping over a bulletin about Britain's role in the international bail-out for Ireland.

Viewers complained that scenes depicting a cut-out of British Chancellor George Osborne dancing across sepia images of the Irish countryside were offensive.

Comments by Mr Osborne about supporting the country through its financial crisis also flashed on the screen in a Celtic font to the sound of traditional Irish music.

The report, aired on Thursday night days before the Government gave in to EU demands to accept a multibillion euro bail-out â ended with a shot outside a shebeen house.

Message boards and social networking site were awash with angry comments condemning the coverage as bad taste and condescending.

One viewer wrote on Twitter: What did we think of the Newsnight Oirish shebeeney leprechauny [sic] graphics?... I personally fainted.

Another added: Another simplistic Oirish piece on Newsnight. I mean we are screwed and we deserve ridicule but spare me the trad music, jigs & condescension.

Others attacked the current affairs programme after the story was reported on news websites alongside a YouTube clip of the bulletin.

One reader railed: Are you joking me?
    racist pigs! That was very deliberately done and meant to insulting!

The BBC said it was investigating whether any official complaints had been made about the programme.
    http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/bbcs-newsnight-accused-of-racism-over-irish-bailout-bulletin-2430461.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Biggins wrote: »
    Speaking of complaints...

BBC's Newsnight accused of 'racism' over Irish bail-out bulletin

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/bbcs-newsnight-accused-of-racism-over-irish-bailout-bulletin-2430461.html
    Funny, Biggins, I watched that on Newsnight last week and didn't think twice about it.

Some folk are too quick to take offence. No doubt they'll be flooded with complaints now as people are shocked and horrified by what they read about a programme they didn't see.

Re the complaint to RTE, sent last night within minutes of them cutting the press conference. Bloody shame that a lot of people missed the spectacle of Vincent's free run at the Brians. Of course, I expect nothing more that the automated response already received.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

RTE are going to have to hire more staff after the guy who deletes the complaints got carpal tunnel...poor guy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 thankswhore

i don't pay the tv licence so i wont bother complaining

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

1) Your journalist asked the first questions off the Taoiseach and the finance minister.

Maybe I'll type my own - I don't want to come across as dim.

Oh no, wait - maybe I won't send one at all - I don't want to come across as someone who has no life & complains about meaningless crap.

People that e-mail this are dicks.

Because they care about something you don't? Yeah. Great point.

Maybe I'll type my own - I don't want to come across as dim.

Oh no, wait - maybe I won't send one at all - I don't want to come across as someone who has no life & complains about meaningless crap.

Meaningless crap? Wow. Tell me, what is meaningful to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

optogirl wrote: »
    Meaningless crap? Wow. Tell me, what is meaningful to you?
    How about the economy and state of the country?

And yes: the coverage of 1 press conference by RTE and a missed opportunity by an RTE journalist is meaningless crap to be worrying & complaining about.

How about the economy and state of the country?

And yes: the coverage of 1 press conference by RTE and a missed opportunity by an RTE journalist is meaningless crap to be worrying & complaining about.

I think this was more the straw that broke the camel's back - RTE are increasingly exposing themselves to be FF puppets and this is just another example of it. I think people are dead right to complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

TheBlock wrote: »

RTE have let us down but so has every other journalist in the country.

Except RTE are the cunts who proclaim to be the public sector broadcaster.
    Just say for instance I wanted to get my news from TV3, or BBC 1, I legally can't unless RTE get their blood money of a TV licence.
    Wasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/fianna-fail-lashes-out-at-rtes-coverage-of-party-2386855.html
    RTE programmes and presenters were strongly criticised at a Fianna Fail parliamentary party meeting last night, writes Fiach Kelly.

Finance Minister Brian Lenihan was among the TDs who were critical of RTE's coverage of the party.

One individual broadcaster and programme in particular were singled out, with TDs calling for the licence fee and RTE funding to be cut in the Budget.

Others who spoke out included junior minister Dick Roche and Limerick TD Niall Collins. Mr Roche said the Department of Communications should stop giving money to RTE.

"Everything else has been hit, every other state sector has been cut except them," one TD said afterwards.

FF have been calling for this for a long time :)

It would also be worthwhile point out how during the late 1980s and 1990s FF Minister for Justice and Communications scuppered any plans RTÉ ever had, AKA Ray Burke.

I agree it is a non-complaint at the moment in the current economic situation. I am more annoyed at the abysmal answers provided rather than the abysmal questions.

RTÉ's This Week programme seems to be removed from their website, it played in a loop on RTÉ News Now, interesting to see Brian Lehihan on the Radio not realizing he was also being filmed.
    mikom wrote: »
    Except RTE are the cunts who proclaim to be the public sector broadcaster.
    Just say for instance I wanted to get my news from TV3, or BBC 1, I legally can't unless RTE get their blood money of a TV licence.
    Wasters.

Your robbing the BBC News from the British TV Licence Payer. TV3 get benefits from RTÉ, in particular in relation to DTT, and their loans are held with Anglo Irish Bank possible NAMA now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

optogirl wrote: »
    RTE are increasingly exposing themselves to be FF puppets and this is just another example of it. I think people are dead right to complain.

Because an editor/producer took a decision to cut from a rant by a self promoting journalist, that shows political bias?

Could you tell me what answers Vincent, the venerable caped crusader actually got from Cowen? Nothing, nada, diddly squat, like a thousand journos before him. Old news.... good decision editior!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Elmo wrote: »

Your robbing the BBC News from the British TV Licence Payer.

Ah would ya give over.
    Next you'll be telling me I 'm robbing their air.
    How does little old me watching the BBC hurt the British TV Licence Payer.
    I sucked up all their TV signals, I suppose, leaving nothing for Norman in Newcastle or Charles in Chester.

Elmo wrote: »
    TV3 get benefits from RTÉ, in particular in relation to DTT, and their loans are held with Anglo Irish Bank possible NAMA now.

Come back to me when RTE are not selling cut price advertising from beneath TV3.
    Come back to me when they are not still buying up top shows from under TV3, then putting them on at all hours.
    All enabled by the TV licence crutch.

Rotten is what it is.

Advertisement