Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email to RTÉ complaints

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Snakeblood wrote: »
    I already sent a mail complaining. The only reason that conference should have been cut short on television is a technical breakdown. It was a ****ing joke and they can whistle for their ****ing licence if they pull **** like that.

I'm the angriest I have been in years. I got punched in the face for no reason once, and I was still calmer than right now.
    Elmo wrote: »
    info@tv3.ie

Dear TV3 news,

Thank you for not interrupting coverage of X-Factor for that dreary press conference over on RTÉ One. I think I heard one of your presenters on there before it was quickly taken off the air, I turned back to TV3 patriotically to see what's happening with Mary Byrne.

Kind regards,

Avid Viewer.
    Nodster wrote: »
    I hope you didn't sign yourself off as boneyarsedbogman?

anyroad, they acknowledged mine with

Thank you for contacting complaints@rte.ie. Your e-mail will be responded to as soon as possible.

RTÉ Corporate Communications

Go raibh maith agat as ucht do theagmhála chuig complaints@rte.ie. Cuirfear freagra ort a thúisce agus is féidir linn.

How long for the actual reply? should I put the kettle on?
    People that e-mail this are dicks.

upandcumming banned for personal abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

For me tonight's shambolic coverage of the Irish Gov. application for money from the ECB/IMF is the final straw.

I first learnt about the press conference on BBC News, then on Sky News, was to be held at 8.15.
    I switched to RTE and also checked their website only to see nothing.
    Granted RTE are not a news channel but they at least could have put up a newsflash that a press conference was going to take place.

Instead i had to learn about it from the foreign media.

This is just a long litany of rubbish i have come accustomed to from RTE. They never ask proper questions. Week after week we are treated to lame interviews of politicians on primetime in which the interviewers like Miriam O'Callaghan never ask hard hitting questions and allow politicians to waffle on and on.
    The vast majority of it is pre-recorded also.

Question and Answers was no better, the questions and topics for discussion where given to the politicians hours before the show. again allowing them time to learn off answers and waffle.

We also have the completely biased situation were Ryan Tubridy, a known Fianna Fail supporter, gives easy interviews to gov. ministers and goes hell for leather into opposition TD's.
    Only recently we had a disgraceful interview in which Willie O Dea, a man who committed perjury, was allowed to waffle on about how he was the victim etc.
    Not once did Tubridy ask him about the court case, our how he attempted to ruin a political opponents good name. He just conveniently ignored it.
    Bertie and Cowen got easy interviews also.

Kenny and Gilmore on the other hand got hard-hitting questions, talked over and generally were dismissed.

The same bias occurs on Joe Duffy. Joe constantly defends the gov. and shouts down people or cuts them off.

Both Duffy and Tubridy afaik are paid 600k and 400k respectively. How is this allowed.
    Pat Kenny earns 800k. Marian Finunican gets 500k for 4 hours on the radio a week!!
    She said in an interview recently, justifying her wage, that the rest of the week she listens to the radio and watches the telly as research!! FFS!

We also see ridiculous bias in Brendan O'Connor. Note he also writes for the sunday Independent. He wrote an article in 2007 entitled "The smart, ballsy guys are buying up property". His show is also littered with gibes and slurs towards the opposition TD's. He also defended Bertie and Cowen over the Moriarty tribunal, even calling for it to be shut down.

Ive always heard via friends and here that RTE is a closed shop. Its impossible to get a job there unless you are either someones son/daughter or know someone on high.

IMO RTE should either be shut or completely reformed.
    It is clear now that it has become lazy and inefficient at performing its duty.
    Like our current politic establishment it needs a complete clean out.

We pay the license fee. We pay their wages. We are therefore entitled, also legally, to unbiased news and programmes.

It is now clear that RTE is so rife with cronyism, nepotism and in tonight's case, unprofessionalism, that it should be abolished.

I also believe that the wider Irish paper media have been completely incompetent in their coverage. How are sitting TD's and Senators allowed to write opinion pieces in papers? It amounts to nothing more then a free party political broadcast. These imo should be made illegal.

Enough is enough. RTE aren't fooling anybody anymore.

Discuss...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

You're only realising this now?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

You're only realising this now?

Im calling for it to be reformed/abolished.
    Everyone is well aware of their bias.
    Its time something was actually done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Ah, could be worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 the_rovers_one

Go to America and look at their news stations. Then come back here and try and call RTE bias.

All they need is a huge overhaul. Their not short on bloody money either so a launch of a News Channel might be worth a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

not short on money

lolllllllllllllllllllll

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I very rarely watch RTE and when I do, I quickly have to flick to another channel. Tonight's shambolic coverage being an example of this. It wasn't to long ago that Brian Dobson was coaching politicians in how to evade questions and not answer them. RTE are a bit like tits on a bull - totally useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ac02ire

one of the reasons i point blank refuse to pay for a tv licence (presenter wages and my lack of being the main reason)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Sell the fuckin' thing off.
    Lets see how it copes in the real world without its strap-on of a licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Go to America and look at their news stations. Then come back here and try and call RTE bias.

All they need is a huge overhaul. Their not short on bloody money either so a launch of a News Channel might be worth a shot.

Those news channels are not publicly funded except for NPR as far as I am aware and the GOP are looking to cut their funding due to their sacking of Juan Wiilliams as a result of bias at the network. They do hold their publicly funded bodies accountable much more so than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

it saddens me to read that knowing its all completely true, op. its no wonder education will be hit in the cuts, thick people who take heed of rte news are easier to control.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

I would not be surprised if Ryan Tub had Mammy ORourke on this morning telling us that we are in safe hands!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i'll email RTE alright

over there lazy programming, Gaybo Laughs Back its just a rerun of the DvD they had for sale a few years back ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭touts

People should flood Pat Kenny with complaining texts. Number is 51551. If he doesn't comment on it then we will know that we now live in a censored dictatorship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

123balltv wrote: »
    I always watch sky news dont like RTE
    they are professionals with news, weather etc Irish telly is crap everything Irish is going to be crap for years and years to come

This is great. I'm going to print t-shirts with this on it. This is what being Irish is all about and I love it - BRING ON THE MISERY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭locomo

bonzos wrote: »
    I would not be surprised if Ryan Tub had Mammy ORourke on this morning telling us that we are in safe hands!

lol this fianna fail republican creep Tubrity had the gall today to tell us how to behave - all right for him on 4 or 5 hundred grand a year of licence payers money. Question night on BBC the other night handled / summerised our economic problems better than RTE could in 100 years. Most people do not listen or watch RTE these days. Scrap RTE, save the Irish taxpayer hundreds of millions a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭locomo

mikom wrote: »
    Sell the fuckin' thing off.
    Lets see how it copes in the real world without its strap-on of a licence.

+1. I know a technician who works there and even he privately admits he is way overpaid for what he does + he is so lucky to have a job there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

After Hours is the new Joe Duffy Forum on Boards.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

sure sure

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

orourkeda wrote: »
    sure sure

Ye don't say, that's gas, no go on, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, go on, sure....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

SPEAKING AS A MOTHER JOE

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Hey we aren't speaking German, yet.
    Haddockman wrote: »
    We soon will be.

No, we won't. Honestly, we will not be speaking German any time soon. Not unwillingly anyway.

Comprende?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

I'm a wurker joe, it's about teh wurkers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

out of curiousity how have TG4 been reporting this ?

IIRC RTE provides the news service for them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Terry wrote: »
    No, we won't. Honestly, we will not be speaking German any time soon. Not unwillingly anyway.

Comprende?

Selbstverständlich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

prinz wrote: »
    Ye don't say, that's gas, no go on, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, go on, sure....

stay there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

orourkeda wrote: »
    stay there

Ah no Joe, I can't stay on any longer, me bleedin' blood's boiled listenin' to that Joe comin' ourra dat fella ya have on, and the kettle's boiled too Joe... go on, good luck to ya Joe.

Advertisement