Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,183 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hardy looking massive, maybe that thing Bats has is that electrical gadget he uses i Arkham City. :pac:

Haven't played that yet, college getting in the way, only barely had time to get through GoW 3 :(

First world problems.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I hate Empire's exclusive covers. Studios always send them photos from costume/makeup tests instead of doing a proper promo shoot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I hate Empire

FYP :pac:

Finishing up Arkham City at the moment actually. I enjoyed the Bane side quest because of how pointless it all was. No back breaking though, the speculators will be disappointed to hear.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I loved AC. Game of the year for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

FYP :pac:

Finishing up Arkham City at the moment actually. I enjoyed the Bane side quest because of how pointless it all was. No back breaking though, the speculators will be disappointed to hear.

I laughed when I teamed up with Bane to fight a bunch of thugs and accidentally walked in front of him as he was punching a guy, he twatted me and went "sorry Batman!" so i kept doing it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I loved AC. Game of the year for me.

Thar be the words of someone who hasn't played Dark Souls.

Thar be the words of someone who hasn't played Dark Souls.

or Skyrim. I thought Uncharted would be hands down GOTY for me but I prefered the 2nd game overall, 3 is amazing in places but a few niggles mean I didnt like it as much as the previous game.

krudler wrote: »
    or Skyrim. I thought Uncharted would be hands down GOTY for me but I prefered the 2nd game overall, 3 is amazing in places but a few niggles mean I didnt like it as much as the previous game.

Alas the solid but flawed Uncharted 3 cannot cut the mustard in a year that gave us Dark Souls, Child of Eden, DoDonPachi Resurrection, Death Smiles, Portal 2, Catherine, LittleBigPlanet 2 and many other such titles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Bale is gonna make this film.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,138 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Bale is gonna make this film.
    What?

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    What?

I have a feeling Bale will have a lot more to work with in this film than he did in TDK.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,138 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ah, yeah I get you.
    If it goes the broken back route and he's out of action, he'll be able to add a bit of weight to the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭ADarkKnight88

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭ADarkKnight88

Also the story picks up 8 years after the dark knight apparently, maybe the back will be broken

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Also the story picks up 8 years after the dark knight apparently, maybe the back will be broken

8 Years?? I know that's taken from the link above, but that sounds nuts. I guess that means that the most recent 'leak' really is a fake, unless
    Batman's broken back in the first 10 minutes lead to 8 years of long physical recovery for Bruce?

8 years sounds like far too large a gap.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    8 Years?? I know that's taken from the link above, but that sounds nuts. I guess that means that the most recent 'leak' really is a fake, unless
    Batman's broken back in the first 10 minutes lead to 8 years of long physical recovery for Bruce?
    Yeah, hopefully that's the case. Jumping ahead 8 years immediately would basically make this into a standalone film and Nolan would have to spend a lot of time establishing what had changed in the interim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

8 years is a mad jump from the last film, plus in one of those pictures from Empire, will spoiler it in case some people are avoiding the Empire link
    Bane is holding a picture of Harvey Dent, surely he would be less relevant eight years after TDK? It can't be 8 years later, it must be a lot less than that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

It is indeed 8 years after TDK, just read Empire's (very brief) interview with Nolan & Hardy:

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=32527
    Perhaps surprisingly for some people, our story picks up quite a bit later, eight years after The Dark Knight. So he's an older Bruce Wayne; he's not in a great state.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

It is indeed 8 years after TDK, just read Empire's (very brief) interview with Nolan & Hardy:

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=32527

Well butter my butt and call me Margaret, I never expected an 8 year jump in the story.

This almost certainly proves that it is gonna be the back-break story at the start.
    So he's an older Bruce Wayne; he's not in a great state.
    A long road to recover and rehab from a broken back
    Anything from small-joint manipulation to crushing skulls, crushing rib cages, stamping on shins and knees and necks and collarbones and snapping heads off and tearing his fists through chests, ripping out spinal columns.
    Emphasis on Bane crushing bones and just being an all out manic who likes to maim people

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Well butter my butt and call me Margaret, I never expected an 8 year jump in the story.
    Well verb my noun, it's true. Wow. I mean to be fair, if
    Bruce's back really is broken in the first act, then to be even vaguely realistic about a recovery,
    you'd want to be talking years allright. As a narrative though it's going to interesting, but I disagree that it'll take that long to explain the changes to the audience. A few scenes with our primary characters & some thinly-disguised infodumps should get us up to speed quickly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Well verb my noun, it's true. Wow. I mean to be fair, if
    Bruce's back really is broken in the first act, then to be even vaguely realistic about a recovery,
    you'd want to be talking years allright. As a narrative though it's going to interesting, but I disagree that it'll take that long to explain the changes to the audience. A few scenes with our primary characters & some thinly-disguised infodumps should get us up to speed quickly enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    8 years is a mad jump from the last film, plus in one of those pictures from Empire, will spoiler it in case some people are avoiding the Empire link
    Bane is holding a picture of Harvey Dent, surely he would be less relevant eight years after TDK? It can't be 8 years later, it must be a lot less than that

no he wouldnt. batman took the blame for dents killings, then dent died. so the people of gotham would have felt sympathetic to dent and would of saw him as decent man finally cleaning the city of crime. if i remembered correctly he locked up half the mob in the dark knight.

Precisely; as someone during the 2nd movie says, Dent was considered the white knight of Gotham: someone with power and clout to remove crime from Gotham using the power of the law. His death would have shocked Gotham, a city that looked to have been on the way out and without any hope.

I imagine 8 years on he'll be seen by the public / cops as a martyr to the war against crime. I bet Bane is using that picture to goad the people of Gotham & the police; to remind them what happens when good men stand up. Cue Batman's return and a few good police officers deciding to defy Bane etc. etc.

Precisely; as someone during the 2nd movie says, Dent was considered the white knight of Gotham: someone with power and clout to remove crime from Gotham using the power of the law. His death would have shocked Gotham, a city that looked to have been on the way out and without any hope.

I imagine 8 years on he'll be seen by the public / cops as a martyr to the war against crime. I bet Bane is using that picture to goad the people of Gotham & the police; to remind them what happens when good men stand up. Cue Batman's return and a few good police officers deciding to defy Bane etc. etc.

Unless, Bane somehow discovers the truth about Dent/ Two-Face being behind all the killings so he decides to unveil the truth to the citizens of Gotham to crush their spirits yet again.

Well Hardy looks absolutely massive, I always had faith! :D

8 years is mad, it will be intriguing to see how Nolan plays it.
    I don't think Bruce will have his back broken and then fast forward 8 years, that would mean Bane would be calling the shots for 8 years in Gotham.

This could be very interesting, cant wait to see how it pans out.

A large gap makes sense IMO. The last film ended on a psychologically complex note for Mr. Wayne: it isn't the sort of situation he could shake off and head back to Gotham the following week. A really long gap like this could lead the story in potentially fascinating directions.

Also, one thing Arkham City did achieve was getting me really interested in how Talia will play into the film. And I'm not going to read any articles and risk finding out!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭duiggers

Them pictures look impressive, can't wait to see Bain tear up Gotham City

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,183 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

With such a long gap we might see some small elements from The Dark Knight Returns sneaking into the storyline, apart from his age of course, still reckon this will be taking most of it's inspiration from Knightfall though.

Advertisement