Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Convenient rumour popped up today saying Ellen Page is gonna be playing Barbara Gordon. I'm sure it's a load of bull:D

Ya, unless Page can play a 13 year old I think we can safely rule that out (assuming she was 5 or something in TDK). :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Ya, unless Page can play a 13 year old I think we can safely rule that out (assuming she was 5 or something in TDK). :pac:

I'm sure she could pull it off :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

Convenient rumour popped up today saying Ellen Page is gonna be playing Barbara Gordon. I'm sure it's a load of bull:D

I'd say so. If memory serves, she was just a kid (i.e in a high-chair) in the first movie - when Batman calls to Jim Gordons apartment. The 2nd movie is set 6 months after the first and this one 8 years later which would make her character 9 years old (10 at a push). Considering the history of Barbara Gordon in the Batman universe (Batgirl, Oracle) I can't see this fitting in anywhere in the Nolan universe. Might be wrong though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Doesn't come close to the wonderful 'rumours' media outlets were circulating as truth that Cher would be Catwoman & Johnny Depp would be The Riddler.

stankratz wrote: »
    I did hear about that leaked footage of Bale with the cane, so it is shaping up that Batman's gonna get an awful hammering at some point. Not to throw water on the 'back-breaking' fire, but the use of a cane can signify any number of things apart from recovering from a broken spine. Ingrown toenail perhaps? :D I didn't notice Wayne or a cain in the teaser when he was speaking to Gordon, but in fairness I should've got glasses at least 5 years ago!

Just re-watched the teaser there again and it does look like Wayne is resting his hand on a cane

• Advertisement

Just thought I'd throw this out there

56289.jpg

Great picture, I think

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Just thought I'd throw this out there

Great picture, I think

:eek:

Bane in this film clearly has some modifications.

The mask must have some function, similarly he has scaring on the back of his neck - and his skin in a number of pictures looks un-natural.

I think the realisation of Bane in DKR is going to be halfway between the reality based Batman of Nolans creation and the comic based version.

Also - if this is being set a number of years in the future, I wonder will we see a greater focus on gadgets / technology that Lucious Fox has developed over the years?

Either way - It's the film I'm most excited about at the moment, my expectations are possibly going to be a little high, but with luck this film will deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Bane in this film clearly has some modifications.

The mask must have some function, similarly he has scaring on the back of his neck - and his skin in a number of pictures looks un-natural.

I think the realisation of Bane in DKR is going to be halfway between the reality based Batman of Nolans creation and the comic based version.

Also - if this is being set a number of years in the future, I wonder will we see a greater focus on gadgets / technology that Lucious Fox has developed over the years?

Either way - It's the film I'm most excited about at the moment, my expectations are possibly going to be a little high, but with luck this film will deliver.
    The mask is delivering anasthetic apparently. Something happened that has him in constant pain

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The mask is delivering anasthetic apparently. Something happened that has him in constant pain

Yes exactly. Just read an interview with Nolan and one of the technical staff there. I'll spoiler it for the sake of those who dont want to know.
    "He was injured early in his story. he's suffering from pain and needs gas to survive. He can't survive the pain without the mask. The pipes from the mask go back along his jawline and feed into the thing at his back, where there are two cannisters"

• Advertisement

Hence the crazy raspy voice when filming in that football stadium in Philly. I just hope it sounds better when Hardy is redubbing his lines in post production.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

That's the one doubt I have about a back breaking happening though, surely Bane wouldn't be allowed to build up an empire in Gotham over 8 years? There are outside forces that wouldn't let that happen. It's almost like expecting the US military not to care that someone has basically annexed a city of the US.

Like what happened in the No Man's Land storyline in the comics?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

My own theory is that batman will be broken from the start. Meanwhile over the 8 years bane with the help of matthew modines character Nixon ( who rumour has it is a key villian with a political background) slowly take control over Gotham

• Registered Users Posts: 14,534 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

There seems to be a breaking Batman obsession with this thread !

Hopefully this wont be the case ,I dont think it would be feasible to pull it off in a standalone movie and I think there are better plotlines to be pursued.
    The prologue of the first 6 or 7 minutes is coming out Dec 21 and is meant to be an introduction to Bane and to whet our apetites.
    I cant see the bat being broken so early ,it would be too much of an anticlimax.

Kess73 wrote: »

There's rumours alright that the plot is inspired by NML along with other stories, but would Nolan go that far?

Well, I suppose it's possible since LOS and Ra's spoke of destroying cities throughout history without any serious repercussion from governments. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 KidDunne

What will happen the franchise if this is Nolans last movie,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

KidDunne wrote: »
    What will happen the franchise if this is Nolans last movie,

Reboot it again in another few years. Although I'd imagine they'll be very stylistically/tonally simliar to the Nolan movies because studios like the drip every last bit of blood out of something that makes money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 KidDunne

Can't see them leaving it for too long tho, they'll probably try get a new director in. Hopefully will keep the dark element

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Reboot it again in another few years. Although I'd imagine they'll be very stylistically/tonally simliar to the Nolan movies because studios like the drip every last bit of blood out of something that makes money.
    Unlike DC comics who would never stoop so low as to reboot their franchises ... ... oh wait. Nevermind.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Oh god I don't think I could handle how awesome a No Mans Land movie could be!

I'll be quite happy to see a reboot after this. I like the idea of this being a proper trilogy. A reboot could take a slightly different direction, maybe bring in some of the more super-natural stuff and possibly hint at a larger DC universe on film, as long as they stay true to the character and keep away from gaudier versions of the character I would be quite excited to see what another director would do with Bats.

Think of it as no different to when a different writer takes over in the comics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Kess73 wrote: »

Keep up Kess ;).
    Turtyturd wrote: »
    If it wasn't for Nolans 'realistic' take on Batman that would be a nice connection to the Cataclysm/No-Mans Land storyline.

Events over the 8 years cause the Government to walk away from Gotham and when everyone is left to fend for themselves Bane rises to the top. Gordon leads a bunch of police officers who stay behind attempting to maintain Law and order but ends up seriously injured by Bane leading to the hospital scene. Cue Batmans return/big showdown with Bane and the final scene of him looking over a crumbling Gotham talking about how it can be rebuilt, mirroring the end of Batman Begins.

Dunno if it has already been mentioned but it would be nice to see Batman being broken in the prologue...yes it is a big secne which people need to be aware of but if it was marketed right everyone would be aware of it prior to going to see that movie and it would allow for the film to begin 8 years later. Plastering a big scsene like that all over the media would also help increase anticipation.

Aint been in this thread in a while but it is nice to have a concrete idea of what is going on and not have to read post after post debating the qualities of Eddie Murphy vs Johnny Depp for playing the riddler....or that Eric Roberts will be the Penguin because his legs got squashed when Batman threw him from a balcony. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

There seems to be a breaking Batman obsession with this thread !

Hopefully this wont be the case ,I dont think it would be feasible to pull it off in a standalone movie and I think there are better plotlines to be pursued.
    The prologue of the first 6 or 7 minutes is coming out Dec 21 and is meant to be an introduction to Bane and to whet our apetites.
    I cant see the bat being broken so early ,it would be too much of an anticlimax.
    If Bane doesn't break Batman then Nolan risks wasting the character IMO. Bane as a villain is almost totally defined by the fact that he breaks Batman's back. The challenge the film faces is probably the same one the comic had. How do you structure it so that Batman can recover in time to kick Bane's ass.

I do think it can work as a single film. But it would mean putting the back breaking at the start of the film and using the events of TDK as the Knightfall part of the storyline in which Batman, greatly weakened from his face-off with the Joker, is ripe for the taking. In other words, the prologue of TDKR would actually be the epilogue of TDK. Then the film could jump forward 8 years by which time Bruce would be mostly recovered while still retaining the psychological scars that he would need to overcome in order to "rise" again.

Either way, I can't see Nolan jumping ahead 8 years and telling a totally linear story. If there's one thing we've learned about him it's that he loves flashbacks and complex/non-linear narratives. TDK was very straightforward by his usual standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,534 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

If Bane doesn't break Batman then Nolan risks wasting the character IMO. Bane as a villain is almost totally defined by the fact that he breaks Batman's back. The challenge the film faces is probably the same one the comic had. How do you structure it so that Batman can recover in time to kick Bane's ass.

I do think it can work as a single film. But it would mean putting the back breaking at the start of the film and using the events of TDK as the Knightfall part of the storyline in which Batman, greatly weakened from his face-off with the Joker, is ripe for the taking. In other words, the prologue of TDKR would actually be the epilogue of TDK. Then the film could jump forward 8 years by which time Bruce would be mostly recovered while still retaining the psychological scars that he would need to overcome in order to "rise" again.

Either way, I can't see Nolan jumping ahead 8 years and telling a totally linear story. If there's one thing we've learned about him it's that he loves flashbacks and complex/non-linear narratives. TDK was very straightforward by his usual standards.

Good points and all plausible .
    Bane's inclusion as the villain is most likely due to his fiercesome physical presence ,but he is also extremely intelligent.

Bane could and most likely will give Batman a good physical hiding in the film but I think breaking his back would be a bit too much as the recovery time would be too long .
    Then again by 2016 perhaps medical surgery could have made huge improvements or
    add a supernatural element like the comics or the ra's Al Ghul

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

There's rumours alright that the plot is inspired by NML along with other stories, but would Nolan go that far?

Well, I suppose it's possible since LOS and Ra's spoke of destroying cities throughout history without any serious repercussion from governments. :pac:

I see no reason why Nolan could not take some inspiration from No Man's Land, the Knightsaga, The Dark Knight Returns, and Legacy storylines and mix them in with what he has already used in the first two films from storylines like The Long Halloween, the Knight Saga, Legacy (one or two bits from Legacy and the Knight Saga popped up in the first film), Batman:Year One, and whatever I have forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,043 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Hence the crazy raspy voice when filming in that football stadium in Philly. I just hope it sounds better when Hardy is redubbing his lines in post production.

I think the raspy voice is nothign to do with gas or anything in Banes backsotry.
    Hardy just struggled to speak clearly with the mask. Re-dub will sort it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

My kind of theory.

Bane breaks Batmans back. This is at the start of the movie while Batman is retreating from the end of TDK.

Bane somehow ends up in prison.

In the next eight years the mob will start taking over the town and rebuilding after the all the damage the joker done to them.

Gotham will be back to how it was in BB. No Dark Knight, no White Knight.

Talia al Ghul will free Bane with the LOS much like they did Bruce, with the idea he will bring down Gotham.

This will lead to the rise of Batman returning to stop Bane.

Where the **** catwomen fits in I've no idea.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Spud83 wrote: »
    My kind of theory.

Bane breaks Batmans back. This is at the start of the movie while Batman is retreating from the end of TDK.

Bane somehow ends up in prison.

In the next eight years the mob will start taking over the town and rebuilding after the all the damage the joker done to them.

Gotham will be back to how it was in BB. No Dark Knight, no White Knight.

Talia al Ghul will free Bane with the LOS much like they did Bruce, with the idea he will bring down Gotham.

This will lead to the rise of Batman returning to stop Bane.

Where the **** catwomen fits in I've no idea.

This is pretty much exactly what I'm hoping for, but I have my doubts. Batman being MIA for 8 years is probably a bit overkill tbh. I'm starting to think the film really does pick up 8 years later with an older Batman who is tired from his years of crime-fighting. I don't know... I guess we'll find out soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

This is pretty much exactly what I'm hoping for, but I have my doubts. Batman being MIA for 8 years is probably a bit overkill tbh. I'm starting to think the film really does pick up 8 years later with an older Batman who is tired from his years of crime-fighting. I don't know... I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Or maybe he comes out of retirement 8 years later,back healed,because Gotham has gone to ****e....Like the Dark Knight Returns.........

......what'd be really f*cking nuts would be if Superman turned up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

......what'd be really f*cking nuts would be if Superman turned up.

Haha, your not serious?
    He's not serious is he?:pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭TheManWho

Does anybody think the Lazarus Pit would feature in Batmans recovery? It would be out of character for Nolans realism and technology based superhero world, but there have been candid production stills with something that looks like a pool of green liquid. I for one hope he doesn't go down that route, it would ruin the reputation and credibility of the previous films to envoke any sort of paranormality

Advertisement