Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Cold Spell From Tuesday 19 Jan 09?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭rovers2001

Excellent here we go again so thanks Wolfe.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

isnt it just great to have something to look forward to in life as the last of the dirty slush slowly disappears...heres hoping

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Thanks Wolfe.

I've become hooked on this site, but unfortunately can't contribute more than thanks and inanity or insanity :p because of my absolute lack of knowledge.

The weather reports and forecasts here are fabulous. Kudos to all of you who share your knowledge and time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    We have had an immense three to four weeks here on boards’ weather forum talking about snow potential. Now that the potential has gone in the short term, so has the flood of visitors to the forum.

Conscious that things can change quite significantly in the medium term, I thought it might be an idea to highlight a potential snow risk for midweek next week. We have been discussing the potential for this on the long range models thread.

GFS, supported by some other models, has been fairly consistent over the past 48 hours in signalling a return to cold weather midweek next week. GFS shows an increasing risk of East-SE winds off the colder continent kicking in midweek, across the country by Tuesday to be precise.

Snow risk for Northern Ireland and the East/South East coast on Tuesday
    http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100113/18/144/uksnowrisk.png
    http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100113/18/147/uksnowrisk.png

By Wednesday, the winds turn East and feed in air directly from Russia. The uppers (air temps 1200-1600 metres up) drop to between -5c and -10c meaning that most precip that falls in Ireland will fall as snow. The chances of heavy snow showers (similar to New Years Eve) hitting the East coast and further inland on Wednesday is very significant according to the GFS
    http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100113/18/165/uksnowrisk.png
    http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100113/18/165/h850t850eu.png

While all of this is going on, Britain is likely to see plenty of snow along its Eastern flank and pushing well inland.

The GFS, at this stage, does not indicate that a significant blocking system will be in place to entrench this easterly flow. The lower temps never quite make it to the South West of the country. With the absence of such a block system, similar to our recent Scandinavian High, leaves the back door open for the Atlantic to reaffirm itself. This appears to be the case on the latest GFS run.

On Thursday of next week a significant Atlantic system crosses the country eastwards from the Atlantic. It will most likely fall as sleet or snow before turning back to rain (where have I heard that before)
    http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100113/18/192/ukprec.png
    http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100113/18/192/uksnowrisk.png
    http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100113/18/204/h850t850eu.png

This is my reading of the latest GFS model output and not a forecast. Further analysis and GFS runs are required, along with other models falling into line, is required to confirm this event will take place. Either way, it raises some hope (for snow lovers) that there will be a return to much colder weather than the present by Tuesday next week. This is further reinforced by the JMA model showing great potential for such a cold spell to continue beyond Thursday (http://www.meteociel.com/modeles/jma/run/J192-7.GIF?13-12). Likewise, the ECMWF (http://www.meteociel.com/modeles/ecmwf/run/ECM0-168.GIF?13-0) shows significantly colder air establishing itself over the country by Wednesday. While the GEM shows that cold air will also be attempting to push our milder air back into the atlantic http://91.121.94.83/modeles/gem/run/gem-1-144.png.

Wolfe.
    To me this is where the real action happens on the weather forum.

You learn an awful lot in these quieter times on here .

I love looking through all the charts trying to make sense of what you guys are saying.

I have been an everyday visitor for nearly over a year now and it has been a huge learning curve, The missus thinks I have lost the plot when she sees me looking through the charts and talking about them.

Cheers :D

EDIT : From your viewing of the charts, do you see another Blocking high moving in again this winter ? or is this really the battle ground , if the mild atlantic air breaks through are we stuck in its cycle for a few weeks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭200motels

Well I for one have had enough cold weather for this year, roll on the spring.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

200motels wrote: »
    Well I for one have had enough cold weather for this year, roll on the spring.

You can keep your mild , damp , windy weather

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

I've also learned a lot on here these past couple of weeks - massive thanks to all the people who take the time to impart their knowledge (and don't lose their rag at people constantly asking "Is it gonna snow yet?" repeatedly)

Gonna keep popping in (was watching Slumdog Millionaire earlier, that's why I was late)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Bring on the snow :).

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Good stuff, looks like we are in for a real roller coaster winter. I am over in London tonight and it had been snowing here last night... not much around the city but lovely crisp air, missed that over the last day or so in Ireland - look forward to it's swift return :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Cheers Wolf!

God i love this site but i'm soooooooo addicted to this :o

I'm so sad that back in the days many moons ago before any internet or boards Weather forums i used to lie in bed every night until the long range weather and shipping forecast would be on BBC radio, the sound would be all crackly and dificult to hear. I was even listening intentively the days before they all got it wrong for the massive event of 1982. (soorry for sidetracking)

Can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Cheers Wolf!

God i love this site but i'm soooooooo addicted to this :o

I'm so sad that back in the days many moons ago before any internet or boards Weather forums i used to lie in bed every night until the long range weather and shipping forecast would be on BBC radio, the sound would be all crackly and dificult to hear. I was even listening intentively the days before they all got it wrong for the massive event of 1982. (soorry for sidetracking)

Can i be 1st in the que for a ticket for the Rollercoaster please :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Interesting. I think it will be interesting to see how the authorities deal with it. John Eagleton of Met Eireann mentioned it earlier on in the week but only in passing. I wonder are they warning the revelvant authorities? Do the emergency committee know? Do the councils know? And are they stock piling salt in preperation? We shall see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭wushu

Excellent post Wolfe :cool: looks like next week will turn cold again:) just how cold is open to question but thanks to you and others here on the boards for your input :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

lets hope its game on again wolfe(spare a thought for haiti)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

The Clod snap .....TAKE 2! Ha

Oh by the way ,has no1 noticed the title of this thread has January 09!?!
    2010 people 2010!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Iancar29 wrote: »

haha. sorry. Maybe one of the mods could change. If not then this is a weather postcast thread.

By the way, here is an uppers chart from GFS for wednesday midnight
    10012100_1318.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

haha. sorry. Maybe one of the mods could change. If not then this is a weather postcast thread.

By the way, here is an uppers chart from GFS for wednesday midnight
    10012100_1318.gif

Thats a bit tasty looking.

Out of all the charts i have picked up on over the past 2 weeks on here.
    weather online seams to me to be the better charts for getting it right.

the first ones you posted wolfie seam to be hit and miss with us.
    maybe its becaus they have no real dater about the island so could be why.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Oh god. Here we go again.
    On a plus note -january hasnt been boring or depressing this year. So bring on more snow :-):-). It will give Us something to talk and give out about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Peeks in. I'm still here too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

do we really need to hear more people give out Queen Mise?

jeez between people on the street and the tv and radio its nag nag nag:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Iancar29 wrote: »

Is it Take 2 though? Met Eireann say tempetures will be below average until Friday. If this happens on Tuesday that would leave make it only 3 days of mild weather. I would call those 3 days and interlude, a brief break in one recorded breaking cold spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

Wolfe ,look what you gone and done now ,raising our hopes lol

Light snow at sherkin island in cork at the moment

SHERKIN ISLAND(A) CALM LIGHT SNOW 2 99

• Registered Users Posts: 8,139 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Really hope this changes, there are some of us who desperatly need the weather to warm up a bit in order to try make a living again :( but um yeah *YAY PRETTY SNOW JAJAJA :rolleyes::rolleyes: *

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

and slowly the rollercoaster lovers creep back... word will spread slowly, it starts with the odd snowbie jumping on board with the mere mention of the lovely white stuff!! then with the first flake of snow, the board explodes with posters, "will it snow here? Will it will it", "Where is here??" etc...

I LOVE IT!!!! Roll it on, thanks WolfeIre :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

To me this is where the real action happens on the weather forum.

You learn an awful lot in these quieter times on here .

I love looking through all the charts trying to make sense of what you guys are saying.

I have been an everyday visitor for nearly over a year now and it has been a huge learning curve, The missus thinks I have lost the plot when she sees me looking through the charts and talking about them.

Cheers :D

EDIT : From your viewing of the charts, do you see another Blocking high moving in again this winter ? or is this really the battle ground , if the mild atlantic air breaks through are we stuck in its cycle for a few weeks ?

I get that as well :D

The set up has not changed significantly overnight from my initial post. East/SE flow establishing itself over the country gradually from Tuesday to Thursday. The charts indicate a high pressure system over Russia that will be no match for the Atlantic in terms of keeping the cold spell in place. Should high pressure build further north and west (Scandinavia) then we could be in for something more significant.

Looks like an Atlantic system will break the cold spell late Thursday/early Friday as it pushes eastwards across the country.

After that the weather shifts between milder and colder interludes, with much of the colder periods coming from the W or NW bringing heavy and frequent wintry showers to the western half of the country. However, some models are indicating that a high pressure blocking system will establish itself over Scandinavia by the 24th.

Will take a look at the new runs in the next few hours and post an update

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭TheBastard

Back again- cant believe there is still only 2 pages!! Up in the gym last night, who did i bump into.... Gerry Murphy! i was looking at him for a second and i thought to myself "is it him" i was tempted to ask what happened the polar low!! but i bit my lip!

Snows Great! But slush and Snow slush turning to ice at night is crap!

i want some of the good stuff!!

I'll be keeoing an eye out for Gerry again- i'll ask him his expert opinion!

Great work by the lads in here over the past month Snow Addict,WC, Wolf, and the guy from canada- cant think of his name! there are others "you know who you are"

VIVA LA SNOW:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Really hope this changes, there are some of us who desperatly need the weather to warm up a bit in order to try make a living again :( but um yeah *YAY PRETTY SNOW JAJAJA :rolleyes::rolleyes: *
    It’s funny how some of us have this deep down obsession with snow. Like the above poster I need it to warm up for work reason's but part of me is still saying "c'mon bring it on I want to see that fluffy white stuff up to the window sills". even though it could have a bad effect on my income. I had an important hospital appointment last Monday and needed a thaw to be able to go, but when 'snowmaggedon' didn't materialize on Sunday/Monday (in Dublin) meaning I'd no trouble making my appointment part of me was still really disappointed. Weird really, think I need to talk to somebody!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Speak Now

The set up has not changed significantly overnight from my initial post. East/SE flow establishing itself over the country gradually from Tuesday to Thursday. The charts indicate a high pressure system over Russia that will be no match for the Atlantic in terms of keeping the cold spell in place. Should high pressure build further north and west (Scandinavia) then we could be in for something more significant.

Looks like an Atlantic system will break the cold spell late Thursday/early Friday as it pushes eastwards across the country.

After that the weather shifts between milder and colder interludes, with much of the colder periods coming from the W or NW bringing heavy and frequent wintry showers to the western half of the country. However, some models are indicating that a high pressure blocking system will establish itself over Scandinavia by the 24th.

Will take a look at the new runs in the next few hours and post an update

Are you sure? I thought all this mornings runs show the high further east and leaving us exposed to the atlantic :mad: No more snow next week which is good for some i suppose.

Advertisement