Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell From Tuesday 19 Jan 09?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The next cold spell will not be as severe as the beginning of the month. However watch out for what February brings, -20c anyone? Look north and look high. Look for the heat there, way up there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

My concerns are that if the cold does not make it through, is that we are looking at an extended spell of total non-descriptness. The ECM tonight suggests nothing more than average temps overall with occasional weak frontal systems at times passing over if we are lucky. No storms to look forward to which is very unusual for January. I am shocked at how calm this winter has been so far. The cold spell has been great, but very unusual to have no big wind events at this stage of the winter so far. :o

In terms of weather if the cold does not break through, The weather will be like watching paint dry , non desrcript and boring !

Come on the cold, lets be having you ! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

My concerns are that if the cold does not make it through, is that we are looking at an extended spell of total non-descriptness. The ECM tonight suggests nothing more than average temps overall with occasional weak frontal systems at times passing over if we are lucky. No storms to look forward to which is very unusual for January. I am shocked at how calm this winter has been so far. The cold spell has been great, but very unusual to have no big wind events at this stage of the winter so far. :o

hmm doesn't inspire confidence if the atlantic isn't really active, yet the cold still can't break through. has the nao even gone positive yet?? if it hasn't i think we are well and truly screwed then because it must do soon.

meanwhile, joe bastardi still seems confident of the cold returning:

BTW get ready, the thaw ends next week and major snows may be back later next week and beyond.

ciao for now ****

if he is basing this prediction on the siberian high eventually really making it presence felt over us i just don't see it happening i'm afraid:(:(

then again he may just know a bit more about the weather than i do :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I think that very few realise the long term effects on life of the last four weeks for many people.

Still thick snow up here after four weeks.

Those of us who grow our food etc and have livestock need to be working now.

It will be Monday before I can safely get out.

We are all prepared; I still have good stocks of tinned and dried food in here.

But the cost also to the country is unacceptable.

And the hardship behind the beauty. Frozen pipes; no water.. And so many house fires with elderly folk dying. Old ones trying to keep warm.

So no wishes for more here. Quite the contrary.

And we deal with whatever comes, so if it floods, we will cope also. As country folk have always done.

Compared to Haiti? And we know now we have no hope of our people being alive.

We have no grounds to complain; but no wish either to prolong difficulties for so many.We are in close touch with realities.

Interesting news item yesterday..

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/ireland/snowbound-mother-nursed-sick-child-for-three-weeks-441964.html

There are many like this who cannot cope as well. In cities too.

Peace this day

Min wrote: »
    I want mild weather so I won't complain if the snow lovers are disappointed, still snow here, it gets boring after a while and affects work and life in general.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I wish for no more snow as it screws up my commute.

I am due to travel to London next Sat the 23rd for a few days and I am driving down accross Wales and England. Should I postpone or will I be relativly ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,337 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Tom, I would suggest you ask again mid-week, there is nothing too troubling on the charts at the moment, but the evolution is not that certain. In other words, no reason to change plans as of today.

Folks, I am going to start a thread to discuss flood potential this weekend, we only have this thread really active and the models are backing away from cold of any great duration.

This will be more for the general forum, I think most regulars around here know what's coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

flutegirl wrote: »
    Will gladly do raindance if it will help.

No clearing tesco and no dancing, you'll be alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

all change in the chart's since yesterday,average temp's and average weather is all that's coming for the foreseeable future,talk about a mediocre weather looks like there's nothing interesting for january.
    cmon beasterly let's get going!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭chris2007

Despite the current thaw, more ice is on the way, forecasters have predicted
    The ice and snow covering swathes of the UK continues to melt away - but the thaw may not herald the end of the bitter weather, forecasters said.

Rain and milder temperatures will hasten the thaw with the mercury rising up to 10C in south-west England.

However, respite from the freezing conditions could prove brief as temperatures will plunge again by the end of next week, bringing a risk of more snow and ice.

There were concerns that parts of the UK will be deluged with flooding as rain comes in on warmer winds from the South West in the coming days.

An Environment Agency spokesman explained: "There may be an increased risk of flooding in some areas over the weekend due to predicted heavy rain and the partial thawing of snow due to slightly higher temperatures, and we continue to closely monitor weather conditions and river levels.

"Whilst snow is deep in some places, the small amount of water that results from snow melt is not expected to cause significant flooding problems if it happens steadily over many days.

"With the forecast rainfall, this thawing may happen more quickly."

The British Red Cross urged people to prepare against flooding. Martin Annis, head of Emergency Planning, said: "We urge people to observe simple tips when preparing, such as packing essential items and documents they will need if evacuated, preparing an emergency kit with water and first-aid pack; as well as keeping a regular check of TV and radio updates."

Andy Ratcliffe, forecaster at MeteoGroup, the weather division of the Press Association, said the thaw will continue to gather pace as rain and milder air moves in from the West.

He said: "Rain will spread across the country from the West ... falling as sleet or snow as it reaches higher ground in northern England and Scotland. But there won't be big accumulations (of snow) and it will turn to rain during the day. The thaw will continue over the weekend but from mid-week it will turn colder again with the risk of more snow."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

sub tropical 8.1c here. Ive turned the heating off, not used to these temps, BBQ is on standby!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Well, even if the rest of January proves to be mild, it will take a lot to bring the finishing mean close to average. At present, we need a daily average temperature of 9.0c each day to bring it up to more normal values (61-90). Quite possible, so will be interesting to see the story at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

after a horrendously windy night here, a balmy 8.9C and I've dared to take off my long-johns and put them in the wash !!!!
    Calm and mostly clear now which is pleasing as I'm flying out to Manchester for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

What I really want is some settled weather, mildish by day and cold by night, for a few weeks anyway. Don't get me wrong, I like the snow, but if peoples livelihoods are affected then we don't need it again this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

11C here in Limerick. Heating has been off for 11 hours :D

Finally got the last of the "Santa Please Stop Here" signs out of the still frozen but more flexible ground. Did anyone feel as if Christmas went on forever this year? And was it the Snow Effect???

I used to dream about snow, but a day like today at the moment - bright, dry and warm - is positively lovely.

9.9c here :eek:

some of us got very little snow,i got a grand total of 2.5cm during the 4 weeks of cold with some of that ice underneath.
    hence my appetite for snow is still as strong as ever,don't care if it only last a couple of days,but would be nice to remember winter 09/10 with a heavy fall.
    the charts don't look very exciting to me for the next while :(

DE: there is no such thing as "nondescript weather.."

Today, soft rain falls gently.. the mountains are shaking off their icy white mantle.... the snow line is creeping deliciously up the back field.

All the tender greens and subtle browns are remerging to rest the eyes on, and the top layer of earth is kind to feet made tender by weeks of ice..

The birds are ecstatic and singing their joy...

No clashing cymbals and drumrolls; a sweet music now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Was like Summer walking in Dublin today, unbelievable!! I could have worn shorts and t-shirts!! lol :) Hard to imagine a cold spell hitting Dublin.....!!

Just seen this...

http://www.freshplaza.com/news_detail.asp?id=56687

Watch out for rising prices and panic buying..

Graces7 wrote: »
    Just seen this...

http://www.freshplaza.com/news_detail.asp?id=56687

Watch out for rising prices and panic buying..

allready gone from 4.99 to 6.50 in my local shop,he said it's only the start

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

Graces7 wrote: »
    DE: there is no such thing as "nondescript weather.."

Today, soft rain falls gently.. the mountains are shaking off their icy white mantle.... the snow line is creeping deliciously up the back field.

All the tender greens and subtle browns are remerging to rest the eyes on, and the top layer of earth is kind to feet made tender by weeks of ice..

The birds are ecstatic and singing their joy...

No clashing cymbals and drumrolls; a sweet music now...

thats beatiful and poetic Graces7, I do love the snow but that captures the beauty of a thaw very well.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

I posted this already in a different thread but the medium term (7 days +) looks colder with a positive pressure anomally to the North developing. In fact on the ECM at 240hrs (which is light years away weather wise) you can actually see the signal over the Artic on the Northern Hemisphere charts. Something to watch over the coming days.

naefsnh-0-0-276.png?12

...but very far out so comes with a big health warning...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Today is the first day for a hell of a long time that we have just normal weather!
    No freezing temperatures, no snow, no icy rain, no mad fog and no stormy winds. It's just a sunny dry mild day, and its nice for a change:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

joes girls wrote: »
    Today is the first day for a hell of a long time that we have just normal weather!
    No freezing temperatures, no snow, no icy rain, no mad fog and no stormy winds. It's just a sunny dry mild day, and its nice for a change:)

iriswh t-shirt weather :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

The ECM is coming out now. This is very, very close to an Easterly at just 96hrs.

Recm961.gif

I suspect we may not get it on this run but very close to something very cold all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Looking like anything cold would last for a day or two and no more , the Atlantic is back in charge imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

irish1967 wrote: »
    Peeks in. I'm still here too :)

Likewise!! Lets see how things pan out...

darkman2 wrote: »
    The ECM is coming out now. This is very, very close to an Easterly at just 96hrs.

I suspect we may not get it on this run but very close to something very cold all the same.

close maybe but unless there's dramatic changes in the chart's im not holding much hope of this.
    as we all no irish weather can sneak up behind us and bite us,so here's hoping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I'm still hanging around too,After this Monday I should be back again and posting again...Depending on what the weathers doing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Still poking around in here. I really enjoy this forum, glad I found it during the cold snap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

uksnowrisk.png?dopvhost=charts.netweather.tv&doppl=88f900fec3aa66c7c3fa6697123f6dc8c3fa66b5&dopsig=552ede15b1060e339962167067820be2

i know this is so far out it will more than likely change, but it's something to cling on to for the snow lover in these milder days;)

Advertisement