Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell From Tuesday 19 Jan 09?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

...saw loads and loads of snow piled up at Manchester Airport on Friday night....all mucky and stuck in a git big pile where it'd been ploughed off the runways, but snow nevertheless.
    And yes, I was a teeny bit jealous.
    Still - nice to be able to leave the house without 3 jumpers and a coat on at the moment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

i know this is so far out it will more than likely change, but it's something to cling on to for the snow lover in these milder days;)

staw-bale.jpg

I got you a full bale to play with Nacho! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

uksnowrisk.png?dopvhost=charts.netweather.tv&doppl=88f900fec3aa66c7c3fa6697123f6dc8c3fa66b5&dopsig=552ede15b1060e339962167067820be2

i know this is so far out it will more than likely change, but it's something to cling on to for the snow lover in these milder days;)

Somebody is getting withdrawal symptoms already! :D

Going to clutch at another straw from that bale. ECM has a small hope that pressure may build to the north later in the month:

102948.gif

But it is so far out that:
    pinch-my-salt-lg.jpg

Salt, rather than snow, for the foreseeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

don't take away my hope. what else is left to get through this wretched spell of mild weather:p

At least if we had a storm it would be something to talk about. Just look at how quiet this forum has gone. I want mother nature to remind us all once again that she is our master!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,337 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Mistress, unless she's had a sex change operation. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

It looks like we've more chance of seeing the Northern Lights in Ireland than more snow at this stage... then again proably not it'll be too cloudy to see them like the last time they appeared a few years back. ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

snow ghost wrote: »
    It looks like we've more chance of seeing the Northern Lights in Ireland than more snow at this stage... then again proably not it'll be too cloudy to see them like the last time they appeared a few years back. ;)

When did they last appear here? I did see them a few years ago, it was mentioned on the radio one night that they were clearly visible and Dollymount Strand in Dublin was mentioned as a good place to see them - I jumped in the car with my g/f and drove down, amazing to see them.

When exactly will they be visible and where in Ireland is the best place to see them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

don't take away my hope. what else is left to get through this wretched spell of mild weather:p

At least if we had a storm it would be something to talk about. Just look at how quiet this forum has gone. I want mother nature to remind us all ones again that she is our master!!
    I'd do anything for a bit of interesting weather, there's a whole lot of nothing out there now.:(

• Advertisement

Felixdhc wrote: »
    When did they last appear here? I did see them a few years ago, it was mentioned on the radio one night that they were clearly visible and Dollymount Strand in Dublin was mentioned as a good place to see them - I jumped in the car with my g/f and drove down, amazing to see them.

2005 I believe, all I saw here was a faint greenish tint in the sky.

When exactly will they be visible and where in Ireland is the best place to see them?

I read a few months ago an article - I think it was from NASA - that there was a lot of solar activity predicted for 2010 and 2011 which may result in increased Northern Light activity. January I believe is the best month.

The last time they were visible in Ireland Met Eireann gave details on TV.

You can try this site, don't know how useful it will be:

http://www.gedds.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/

Obviously they don't regualrly appear in Ireland, but they can do.

The further North you are the better and preferably with a clear sky, they were visible in Mayo the last time, it was just too cloudy to see much.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

So blind to the true beauty of weather...

Mild is weather too; so is calm. it is wonderful weather now..:)

So lovely.

To be enjoyed.

If you need drama? Or danger?

Plenty of that in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Lived a decade in the Northern Isles and was frequently mesmerised and awed by the "Merry Dancers"

Stood one night for hours, wellies deep in thick mud, watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,431 ✭✭✭weisses

At least if we had a storm it would be something to talk about. Just look at how quiet this forum has gone. I want mother nature to remind us all once again that she is our master!!

Just go to Oklahoma an park in front of an F5 tornado ... Maybe our master can whip some sense into you there ;):D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

well what happened to the cold temps coming tomorrow 6c that is now cold! i see there is 3c maxes for wednesday and heavy rain! could that rain turn to snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Graces7 wrote: »
    So blind to the true beauty of weather...

Mild is weather too; so is calm. it is wonderful weather now..:)

So lovely.

To be enjoyed.

If you need drama? Or danger?

Plenty of that in life.

I have to say these 'poetic' posts are getting a bit tiresome.

It would be interesting to say the least to see snow/sleet this week but I would say the chances are slim to none. Never say never in Ireland though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

owenc wrote: »
    well what happened to the cold temps coming tomorrow 6c that is now cold! i see there is 3c maxes for wednesday and heavy rain! could that rain turn to snow?

No snow.

Vudgie wrote: »
    I have to say these 'poetic' posts are getting a bit tiresome. quote]

Not the same without the cat :D

No snow.

met uk say hill snow from tomorrow night...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

its april here in Dublin, unreal!!! f*eck of cold snaps, couldnt care anymore, hope it gets even warmer!!!! :):D

I want mother nature to remind us all once again that she is our master!!

103022.jpg

:pac:

owenc wrote: »
    met uk say hill snow from tomorrow night...

Don't mind them, you wont be getting any.

Don't mind them, you wont be getting any.

oh and they said sleet and 2c maxes so there is a risk but it wont come:D:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

103022.jpg

:pac:
    thought i had gone into sex&sexuality instead of weather:p

Anyways back to the weather, heavy fog coming down in wexford, but it was a very nice afternoon, gone colder now with the fog!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Cracking day in Newbridge ,

Sun shining all day, from Sunrise to Sunset , not a cloud to be had.

I was half thinking of getting the golf clubs out as I had a few hours to kill !

Very warm day here today... I think that was our summer. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

The next cold period is coming onto the horizon now from next weekend. It may well be an East or Northeasterly which, if it comes off, given the amount of cold pooling to the East could be very cold indeed.

Recm1921.gif

Obviously at this range the details will change but the European Models definately going for a colder period of weather next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Nice and mild here too. Played football and it was a pleasure not to get a iced to death froma frozen astro turf.

• Advertisement

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Nice and mild here too. Played football and it was a pleasure not to get a iced to death froma frozen astro turf.

yes, it was nice to get back playing astro turf soccer at the weekend. Still, I'd happily go another month without playing, due to cold weather, as well. Not sure most of the other lads, who play, would agree though:p

Advertisement