Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Freezing Weather Discussion - Widespread Snow Tonight/Tuesday

• 04-01-2010 2:47am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Continue here:)

Hail/Snow here near Malahide. Place is as white as New Years.

This will continue for at least as far as we can say (which is very far).

Snow tonight and early morning. At least a dusting. Probrably 3 - 5cm's generally.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

darkman2 wrote: »
    Continue here:)

Hail/Snow here. Place is as white as New Years.

This will continue for at least as far as we can say.

Where's 'here' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Was just coming to post this Darkman!

Malahide also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Seperate wrote: »
    Where's 'here' ?

Sorry, near Malahide.

Finished now.

Alicat wrote: »
    Was just coming to post this Darkman!

Malahide also.

Yes, indeed it looks very similar to new years out there. Of course the Ice hardly melted so everything settled. Going to be dodgy in the morning (if it was not dodgy enough in our locale).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

I hope this is heading towards the Dublin 9 area ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Yes, indeed it looks very similar to new years out there. Of course the Ice hardly melted so everything settled. Going to be dodgy in the morning (if it was not dodgy enough in our locale).

Yellow Walls Road is a death trap! Did you see the crash there near Texas Lane this evening?

Alicat wrote: »
    Yellow Walls Road is a death trap! Did you see the crash there near Texas Lane this evening?

No but im very familiar with the problems on Yellow Walls. It was like walking a road in Siberia yesterday and not much better today. Cars skidding and not moving at the same time, pedestrians falling etc. It's very bad. The council are muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,228 ✭✭✭sdanseo

No but im very familiar with the problems on Yellow Walls. It was like walking a road in Siberia yesterday and not much better today. Cars skidding and not moving at the same time, pedestrians falling etc. It's very bad. The council are muppets.

They're a damn sight better that Dublin CIty Council though apparently. There was a yoke on Newstalk earlier about how noticeable the FCC area was because it had actually BEEN gritted. We're talking main routes here too.

Yeah Old Yellow Walls road was bad too up near Centra, and Centra's carpark was a complete icerink all of yesterday. The carpark in Airside was treacherous today to the point that it needed gritting or someone was going to kill themselves on it. Outdoor carparks C and D in the pavilions were closed also, so traffic there utterly mental and expect worse tomorrow morning and all day, all round as a result of tonight's new covering.

sdonn wrote: »
    They're a damn sight better that Dublin CIty Council though apparently. There was a yoke on Newstalk earlier about how noticeable the FCC area was because it had actually BEEN gritted. We're talking main routes here too.

Im telling yeh now FCC are a bunch of retards. How long have I and others been saying here that this was going to happen? That it was common knowledge that very cold weather was coming? Never mind that though - the Yellow Walls is still not gritted. It remains the death trap it was yesterday and will be worse in the morning. God knows what will happen this morning but there will be alot of frustrated, angry people - I can gaurantee that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Waiting for snow is like waiting for a bus, kettle to boil, bread to toast etc, seems like it will never come. When I was a kid, always wished for snow during xmass, over hols, running up to return to school, hopeful entire village would be trapped in by heavy snow. Snow never really came during those times, then one year I wished it never came, I wanted to go out fishing, that year I never saw so much snow. Anyone who grew up during 80's will know what I am talking about.

Most if not all years after that, I returned hoping for snow and always have since then, so far it never came like it did in 80's

This year I don't want it, trying to move house, frozen roads and all sorts is holding me back. I have to finish move this week so sorry folks, don't want any snow my way. I am a bit worried now as this is first time since 80's I genuinely don't want any snow. Funny to see if Ireland does get hit by big snow after this kind of confession.

Watch out tomorrow, be safe, take time traveling to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

Interchanging between light graupel and snow in Dublin 3 at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Theres another shower developing off the east coast. Looks like its aimed at S.Dublin/Bray area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

0345.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

redsunset wrote: »
    0345.gif

Strange that the showers on the north coast are not showing on the ME radar. They are snow showers according to RainToday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

fresh dusting here
    the path and roads are white again

You think a snowfest was coming looking at this,ridiculous.

prectypeuktopo.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Nice dusting of snow around Raheny as of a couple of hours ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Bloody stomach bug.....anyone want it, I'm a fond believer of sharing! :D

Anyway, after one the temp was almost -5c, now its a healthy...-1.8c! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Bloody stomach bug.....anyone want it, I'm a fond believer of sharing! :D

Anyway, after one the temp was almost -5c, now its a healthy...-1.8c! :confused:

Keep it to yourself thanks. Going to start this trip to Enniskillen in a few minutes. I'm not optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

A trough has moved south of the Faeroes, approaching Shetland and the K5 buoy later this morning, and there appears to be potential for steady accumulating snow in Ireland from this feature, expected to arrive in Ulster around 6-9 pm and central Ireland (Dublin-Galway) about midnight. I'm waiting to see how it performs on radar west of Scotland later today, but I am saying potential for local 5-15 cms of snow with this on Tuesday.

It's probably the sort of system that could have local variations and I would expect amounts to be greater near east coast, on north-facing slopes, whatever gives a bit of advantage to bring down the full potential of the trough. Winds would veer from WNW to NNE during the trough passage and therefore sea effect would take over from the synoptic scale snowfall during the day Tuesday.

Noting that winds at 850 ft on the Faeroes obs (they report these along with sea level conditions) are oscillating and in the 20-30 knot range. This is a good indication of instability.

I'm sure we'll have quite a range of opinions and estimates on this snowfall event, and a matching range of reports as it happens. Hope you get lucky where you are. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

My temps are running again the same as Claremorris. Currently -5.7c here in SE Mayo. Very White frost out there. Might make a -6c at sunrise.

A trough has moved south of the Faeroes, approaching Shetland and the K5 buoy later this morning, and there appears to be potential for steady accumulating snow in Ireland from this feature, expected to arrive in Ulster around 6-9 pm and central Ireland (Dublin-Galway) about midnight. I'm waiting to see how it performs on radar west of Scotland later today, but I am saying potential for local 5-15 cms of snow with this on Tuesday.

It's probably the sort of system that could have local variations and I would expect amounts to be greater near east coast, on north-facing slopes, whatever gives a bit of advantage to bring down the full potential of the trough. Winds would veer from WNW to NNE during the trough passage and therefore sea effect would take over from the synoptic scale snowfall during the day Tuesday.

Noting that winds at 850 ft on the Faeroes obs (they report these along with sea level conditions) are oscillating and in the 20-30 knot range. This is a good indication of instability.

I'm sure we'll have quite a range of opinions and estimates on this snowfall event, and a matching range of reports as it happens. Hope you get lucky where you are. :D

This trough seems to be moving SE and not SW towards us.

Airmass divide

100783.jpg

Actually beginning to look like great potential,could be very interesting indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Latest Met.ie forecast:

National Forecast
    hr.gif

04 January 2010 07:04

Today

Very cold and frosty this morning with icy roads and pavements, with the frost and ice clearing only slowly, despite some sunshine, and lingering in some places all day. A lot of dry weather today, but scattered wintry showers also, with some hail, sleet and snow at times, this especially likely over the northern half of the country. Top temperatures zero to plus 5 C.

Tonight

Very cold and frosty tonight with icy patches once again and scattered wintry showers. Also, a spell of rain, sleet and snow over Ulster before midnight, will cross the country overnight, with some fresh snow in places by morning. Lowest temperatures zero to - 5 C.
    hr.gif

Tomorrow

Very cold tomorrow Tuesday, with sunny spells and scattered wintry showers. Frost and ice clearing only slowly. Top temperatures zero to plus 4 C.

Outlook

The cold, but mainly dry weather, will continue through the rest of the week and over next weekend, across the whole country. There will be further severe frosts at night, and ice on untreated surfaces, some fog patches possible at times too. Daytime temperatures will be in low single figures at best, despite some winter sunshine, with frost and ice slow to clear.

Tuesday night will be very cold with temperatures well below freezing in many places, and possibly as low as -7 or -8 C., in a few sheltered areas. Frost will be severe with icy surfaces. A few wintry showers are also possible at times, on eastern and northern coasts, but most parts of the country should be dry. Wednesday will be very cold and breezy with a fresh and gusty northeast to northerly breeze. Frost and ice will linger in places, despite some sunny spells. Most places dry, but some wintry showers are possible in places close to the east and north coasts once again. Very cold, frosty and icy overnight and for a time on Thursday.

Most places dry and bright on Thursday with some weak winter sunshine, but there is a risk that a spell of rain sleet and some snow may affect the Atlantic Seaboard. Most of the showers look set to disappear for Friday and next weekend, with just a few possible on eastern and northern coasts, but the days and nights will stay as cold and frosty as ever.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

The warm spell to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Light snow here now in Donegal Town.

yes, made -6.3c there as i was heading out the door. car also reading -6, which is strange as it is always higher than garden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Very overcast and sub zero
    -0.1/-2.8C
    Overnight min -1.8C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

About -4 here, I can see the lightest of coverings of snow from last night but not really much different from yesterday. Still some lying snow from new years eve although it has thawed a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Morning Everyone :)

Introduction

Firstly, a few points. The overnight outputs, especially that of ECMWF is much better in the medium term with a more sustained Easterly flow. A rewned, fairly potent due Easterly flow, is now likely to be developing into the weekend. Also, the overnight ECMWF shows no sign of a breakdown again until T+240! UKMO 00Z is another excellent run, with a shortwave feature moving down across the country between T+96 T+120, undercutting, with a strong Easterly flow developing. Into the medium term there is, at present, no sign of a let up in these conditions, with renewed blocking quite likely from Scandinavia to Greenland, Ireland being under an Easterly flow.

Snowfall Distribution & Potential

What I find a bit perlexing about the latest Met Eireann update is that the overnight ECMWF 00Z Guidance is once again holiding firm about the snowfall threat, in Eastern and Southeastern areas in particular. With the risk as mentioned last evening for Western Atlantic Seaboard areas into Thursday, when a Shortwave feature will run down the country, hitting into the cold air in place, as a Blocking High builds over Scandinavia.

Here are some of the overnight ECMWF Precip Charts:

Tuesday Night

100104_0000_48.png

Wednesday Morning

100104_0000_54.png

Wednesday Afternoon

100104_0000_60.png

UKMO 00Z

Also holds constant regarding the snowfall risk. The main risk periods include the period from 01.00 to 07.00 tomorrow, when it models the cold front moving down across the country. In models this as remaining intact, all the way down, even strengthening in Eastern areas:

UW30-594.GIF?04-06

It also models a further risk of snowfall quite widely in the East and Southeast, later on Tuesday and into Wednesday, very much in line with the latest ECMWF guidance. Again, that's not to say that these are entirely correct but these latest runs are almost even better than the ones of last evening & do clearly suggest the potential for snowfall in the risk areas that were mentioned last night. Also, most model guidance now prolongs the Northeasterly flow into Thursday.

GFS 00Z is not as good into the medium term but I suspect it's picking up on a signal initially picked up upon by the other models and subsequently dropped, as overnight, all other NWP Guidance supports a renewed, potent Easterly flow developing towards Friday onwards.

Summary

In summary, the snowfall potential, as discussed last night largely holds firm on the vast majority of guidance. Again, there are no certainties in this setup, the evolution is complex and snowfall is very difficult to predict and model. From all of the available NWP Guidance, the risk of the overnight GFS 00Z evolution with much slacker conditions, is about 35%, with a solid 65% support for a renewed Easterly flow. Equally, it would be positive to see a fairly rapid reversion from GFS, preferably by later today. Some of the other Guidance has modelled this GFS evolution before, bus has subsequently dropped it. UKMO appears to be, by far, the most consistent at the moment.

SA :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement