Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Usenet Deal 11Dollars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Ment to Add currently 210+ rentention with servers now able to handle 365 day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

That's a good deal, think I got on them on the back of one of your posts before.

I'm on the 120gb once off deals myself. The link you have their would be good for sharing or for those with a phat pipes!

Yeah well i used to pay 15 dollars for 160 rentention, unlimited with 12 connections with no SSL (SSl usually adds on about 5 dollars) i am getting a solid 2.3mb download speed off them too with my 20mb connection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭blobert

Have been using this since the Hitnews.eu €6 a month service increased in price, seems to be the cheapest out there, no problems with service either.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

What's it for ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I don't know much about usenet so maybe this is stoopid question but... why not just use normal torrents?

If you knew more about Usenet you would understand why.

Advantages Usenet over Torrents:

Full Speed
    No Ratio
    More Selection
    Has SSL

Cons
    You have to pay for it 8 euro a month well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Advantages Usenet over Torrents:

Full Speed
    No Ratio
    More Selection
    Has SSL

Cons
    You have to pay for it 8 euro a month well spent.

Ok so it is better than torrents. But what about a premium Rapidshare account?? is this better and if so how?

I dont use rapidshare but i would imagine there is ALOT more Usenet content + Usenet is great for x264.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

I am currently a giganews user, but those prices beat giganews, how would astraweb compare? Also how long do you reckon the offer will stand?

My friend moved form giga to astra and he find it no diff apart from the price and get more for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Well I'm with Rapidshare and it's really whips the lamas ass. Never got into the Usenet scene. Used IRC back in the day then torrents for a while but Rapidshare is so fast! I brought down 13gbs yday :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Bill-e wrote: »
    Well I'm with Rapidshare and it's really whips the lamas ass. Never got into the Usenet scene. Used IRC back in the day then torrents for a while but Rapidshare is so fast! I brought down 13gbs yday :D

Rapidshare has a limit of 2.6gig per day though doesn't it? that's crap to be honest....

80gb a month = fail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Maybe my ISP is good or maybe I'm just happy with a 2mb line... after the first mins I stay more or less at 200kb/s -

Either way... it's good enough for me.

Might be a good thing for Eircom customers tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Switched from giganews to astraweb last week, $30 down to $11 dollars beig difference in price. mentioned to giga that I was going with astra instead thinking they might do a setanta or sky on it and reduce the price down but nothing so went to astraweb.
    Have not noticed any difference so far, its great value.
    Also have a basic easynews account for the web search functionality which is one thing that usenet readers are not great at plus easynews has a zipmanager and autopar/autounrar, so worth checking them out for that feature but pricewise astra is def the best I have used.

B~

• Registered Users Posts: 19,831 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I prefer block accounts rather than those with a monthly subscription.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

AstraWeb at the moment have a savage offer 11 dollars a Month for Newshosting usenet access, Unlimited Downloads,No Download Limits 20 Connections and Also incl SSL.

The Offer ended last nite however you can still sign up with this linnk:

http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html?gclid=CMHL1dyRppkCFQiF3godCmbFpA
    Nice one. I was only considering this site the other day, so I've delved in now at that good price. Works out under €9 atm.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I dont use rapidshare but i would imagine there is ALOT more Usenet content + Usenet is great for x264.

I use both and without a doubt

RS premium > Usenet > Torrents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Hi Folks
    I'm with usenetserver.com and they only offer 10 connections - I assume 20 connections with astraweb does not mean I'll get double the d/l speed?

They only have 120 days aswell so I may indeed change thanks op

No you would just get a more Solid Speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Funkyzeit wrote: »
    Hi Folks
    I'm with usenetserver.com and they only offer 10 connections - I assume 20 connections with astraweb does not mean I'll get double the d/l speed?

They only have 120 days aswell so I may indeed change thanks op

It's actually 125 days and there is a 20 connections option. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I've had most of the services at one stage or another (easynews/thundernews/giganews etc.) but Astro has been very solid and the retention is brilliant.

Usenet & Newzbin & SABnzbd+ are great, and having used RS & Torrents - it's not really comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I was seriously thinking of going for Giganews in the middle of last year, when lo and behold Virgin media started their own news server and although it only has 7 days retention of binaries I get full speed on my cable broadband because I believe the server is on-network :D

If they ever get rid of the binaries I will most likely though be looking into astraweb ;)

/edit
    Oh and second vote for SABnzbd+, I use nzbsrus though (they recently upgraded their server(s) and its nice and quick now)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Hi,
    signed up for this for the first time last night.

am I meant to receive a username password port email from them ?

K

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

try this http://www.news.astraweb.com/forgotpass.html

and use the email address u signed up with

Giganews are fecked unless they lower there prices dramatically. They announced 365 day retention but astraweb have done the same.

Sabnzbd is brilliant. You could set up rss feeds so it downloads stuff automatically. You can pick where you want certain types of files to be saved. It automatically unrars files. It can send you emails when it downloads a file. Can even search stuff on my iphone and get it to download on my pc. Would never recommend rapidshare/torrents over this to anybody. Rapidshare links die after a while so dont know how anyone could say its better than usenet. And you are going to struggle to find stuff from a few weeks ago never mind a few months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

zAbbo wrote: »
    I've had most of the services at one stage or another (easynews/thundernews/giganews etc.) but Astro has been very solid and the retention is brilliant.

Usenet & Newzbin & SABnzbd+ are great, and having used RS & Torrents - it's not really comparable.

Have to second this combo - sabnzbd+ in particular is absolutely savage!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Thanks for this tip OP -made the transition to Astraweb from Usenet-News so it should save me a few quid each month and nice to finally get round to getting SSL setup.

I use GrabIt as my client but have installed SABnzbd based on the tip off here but I'm not seeing what's its clear advantages over GrabIt are (though admittedly I've just installed it) - what should I be looking for?

I added my Newzbin account details into the config section in SABnzbd - is it something to do with Newzbin functionality that sets SABnzbd apart?

• Advertisement

I use Sabnzb cos its the only good Mac Nzb Client, Newzbin + Sabnzb is great , bookmarker files and it auto adds is a great feature, been using Sab now for about 6 months and only wish it would support torrents so i could change over to it. Newzbin is a must really when it comes to usenet.

Advertisement