Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Usenet Deal 11Dollars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Are ye actually for real? it was a typo!!!!!!!!!!! Look at my post after it!I was ment to say NOT, Christ read all the posts not a select few.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

WTF Usenet is illegal now??? I must have missed that memo!

(Couldn't resist:D!)

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

I don't seem to have a 2.7gb limit on RS for some reason, I've downloaded 3 1080p movies this week. If you don't use your quota does it come over to the next day or something? In any case I think 2gb a day is more then enough. i'm finding it hard enough to watch what I do download and I've no storage left!

Is usenet like p2p type stuff but with more dedicated servers. How long does stuff stay up? Are less popular files slow to download?

The thing I like about RS is that if it's there it's there and at full speed...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

who index's astraweb?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭dodzy

Bill-e wrote: »
    If you don't use your quota does it come over to the next day or something?

Yep. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭blobert

DingDong wrote: »
    xlned.com is another cheap provider. Never used them but it you fancy giving them a shot they have prices from 2.21 euros a month
    Link

This seems very cheap, are the packages for unlimited downloads, it is not clear?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

hobochris wrote: »
    who index's astraweb?

Read this - http://shsc.info/NewsGroups

In fact everyone asking questions - best read that. I don't mind answering questions or helping anyone - but a basic understanding in Newsgroups will help anyone looking to get into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

Thanks OP

I was paying 3 times that with giganews... wonder how long before BT throttle me again!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

what personal info do you need to give out to join up

none at all. You can pay via paypal if you wish.

etcetc wrote: »
    what personal info do you need to give out to join up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 BernardMc

I used to be a subscriber of Rapidshare but they charge quite a bit...

Switched to Megashares.com instead last year which is basically like Rapidshare except it's just $25 for 6 months usage, and most of the file on it are full complete files, no need to use WinRar :-)

TBH I've never used any newsgroups before but all this talk is getting me intruiged, must check it out...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Anyone comparing Newsgroups to Megaupload and similar doesn't get that they are structurally different services.

Astraweb do great, 'pay once and forget' service deals. I am currently on the 120GB download package.

A post worth requoting, read the link before complaining that it's not the same as Rapidshare.. :rolleyes:
    zAbbo wrote: »
    Read this - http://shsc.info/NewsGroups

In fact everyone asking questions - best read that. I don't mind answering questions or helping anyone - but a basic understanding in Newsgroups will help anyone looking to get into it.

If you are not part of a payed search service.. try using the following website:

http://www.binsearch.info/

Click on 'Create NZB', then open the NZB in: http://www.altbinz.net/ (Free)

---

For Linux users: Alt.Binz works fine under Wine, tested in Ubuntu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Are newsgroups fine on NTL/Smart?

No restrictions?

kaimera wrote: »
    Are newsgroups fine on NTL/Smart?

No restrictions?

You're accessing the Newsgroups (in this case) through a third party not connected in any way to your internet provider, it has got sod all to do with them.. The service is encrypted typically (if provided), through SSL, no traffic shaping etc..

You CAN access them with your internet service provider, but the newsgroups might be heavily edited and there will be no 'binaries' (downloadable content) attached to the posts. Basically a text service.

Google also offer newsgroup access, again, typically, without binaries.

Amalgam, I have a Few Invites for Newzbin which is the Best around and will send them if someone Pm me.Everyone is Ramping on about Rapidshare, it just does not compare to Usenet if you use Usenet properly FACT!And i am With UPC and always get full speed, the fact it has SSL is a MAssive advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

Just giving my 2 cents,

I have been using astraweb for the past year. Main reason is because of NTL trafficing torrents, astraweb have SSL servers for free which is great.

I buy the 120GB for 25 dollars. It lasts me around 3 months.

Client i use : Neswleecher V 3.9. Automatically un-rars/repairs/deletes rar files after un-rared

Search Engines: nzbsrus nzbmatrix and also newzbin. What i dont like about newzbin is that they don't give the release group/type in the search results. i.e. cam/TS/R5

Yeah it depends what kind of user you are, 120gb would last me Just about a Month,I was always a Newshosting person though refused to give giganews the extra 10 dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭j_lennon18

BernardMc wrote: »
    I used to be a subscriber of Rapidshare but they charge quite a bit...

Switched to Megashares.com instead last year which is basically like Rapidshare except it's just $25 for 6 months usage, and most of the file on it are full complete files, no need to use WinRar :-)

TBH I've never used any newsgroups before but all this talk is getting me intruiged, must check it out...

I did the exact same switch and i have never looked back since. The only downside to Megashares is probably that it is a little harder to get older stuff (old versions of linux iso's..etc :pac:) Aswell as using Megashares, i use a nifty little program along with a batch file to disconnect/reconnect my router with a new ip address and i can easily download 4+gb from Rapidshare as a free user while i sleep. I really wonder why people pay for Rapidshare nowadays. :confused:

Anyway, before my Megashares/Rapidshare days, i used the following usenet provider - www.powerusenet.com. Not as cheap as original bargain, but i would defo recommend them.

I would Suggest this Program for people: http://www.sabnzbd.org/

I have tried Everyone and think this is the best by Far, and Also available on Mac.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

I have tried Everyone and think this is the best by Far, and Also available on Mac.

What would be the most secure way to set this up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭FredH3as

jimi_t wrote: »

From a locked room :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭aCA

Cheers for this, Ive been looking for a good mac app for the last couple of weeks.

Dont really get what you mean really?

jimi_t wrote: »

Yeah its an Awesome app, takes awhile to get used to it, but as i said before i wish it would support torrents as its such a awesome app works perfect with Mac and even better with newzbin.

aCA wrote: »
    Cheers for this, Ive been looking for a good mac app for the last couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Dont really get what you mean really?

Just what the best combination of firewall/encryption or whatever to keep under the radar. Already have it set up with SSL and such

For yourself, as a home user, an SSL connection should be sufficient.

It's a passive service, you're fetching data from a provider that is allowing you to use their gate to access the Newsgroups.

The Newsgroups themselves are just huge, ever changing repositories, static, when compared to the real-time nature of torrents and other peer like services.

The only advice I would give about security is to have an up to date virus scanner if you're into software and executables..

If you're asking about 'staying under the radar' to the company providing you the Newsgroup\binaries access, well.. you don't, they know who you are. They're the ones providing the 'retention' of data\binaries. Your main point of interaction is with them.

Again, apologies if this comes across as snippy, but if you're comparing it with live sharing and torrents etc, you have yet to grasp the nature of the service\access being provided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭awkward

What kind of stuff do you get with these 'binaries'? Is it like torrents?

Did I read earlier that usenet is in fact illegal???

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

awkward wrote: »
    What kind of stuff do you get with these 'binaries'? Is it like torrents?

Have you ever heard of Google?
    awkward wrote: »

Did I read earlier that usenet is in fact illegal???

No, no you didn't.

• Advertisement

Can someone tell me what are the advantages of paying for Newzbin over some of its free rivals? I just can't figure out why people would pay when absolutely everything seems to be on places like nzbmatrix.

Anybody?

Advertisement