Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Usenet Deal 11Dollars

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Using Sabnzb now, it's sure fantastic. I love the way it pretty much handles everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

I graduated from newsleecher to sabnzd a good few years ago now and find it fantastic.Have it running on all sorts of devices, even a QNAP TS-509 NAS. Love it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

A lot of good info here - http://shsc.info/NewsGroups

And I'd recommend the Firefox addon here - https://nzbdstatus.bountysource.com/ which allows you to send directly to the daemon (sabnzbd service), this is really usefull for newzbin.com etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

zAbbo wrote: »
    And I'd recommend the Firefox addon here - https://nzbdstatus.bountysource.com/ which allows you to send directly to the daemon (sabnzbd service), this is really usefull for newzbin.com etc.

Very handy, thanks!

I use Alt.Binz , HitNews and nzbmatrix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

is astraweb down at the mo? if it is my inital impressions of this site are quite bad!

"Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later."

OK after a few minutes its back again, panic over :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

tw0nk wrote: »
    is astraweb down at the mo? if it is my inital impressions of this site are quite bad!

"Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later."
    Works fine for me on the EU server

what is newzbin.com? It says I need an invite to join, would anyone care to invite me?

what is newzbin.com? It says I need an invite to join, would anyone care to invite me?

It's a paid indexing service, basically lets you easily browse content available.

If you're using newsgroups, you need something like this, especially if you had the daemon running on your NAS, combined with the firefox extention - downloading is just a 1 click job, or zero click if you're using RSS feeds etc. in newzbin :)

Anyone needing an invite, I've got 5 - just PM me your email addy.

I was talking about their astrawebs news server. You don't need to pay for a indexing service newzleech.com or binsearch.info are free

• Advertisement

thanks for reply zabbo, Ive been using usenet with giganews for 3 years now and always used a combination of nzbsrus and binsearch.info, is newzbin.com much better than these? is it so much better that it is worth paying for? thanks in advance, and if your reply is favourable to the questions I asked I will pm you for an invite if thats ok, thanks again.

thanks for reply zabbo, Ive been using usenet with giganews for 3 years now and always used a combination of nzbsrus and binsearch.info, is newzbin.com much better than these? is it so much better that it is worth paying for? thanks in advance, and if your reply is favourable to the questions I asked I will pm you for an invite if thats ok, thanks again.
    Yup it is, and I've used both them.

You can grab 2 months of newzbin for £2.40 as a tester, a 12 month account is only around £15, but most people wait until December, as they always do a half price sale then.

You can also use something like this web interface to organise movies/tv from newzbin - http://irc.newzbin.com/~fatfecker/

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Shanegggg

Seriously thinking of making the convert from torrents to this.

Just wanted to know how easy is it to spot all the major releases (ie dvd-rips/tv eps), as appose to a nice list when looking at torrents? I know i'd have to use newbin or something like it but like being able to see the most popular torrented stuff is always handy!

Used an usenet free trial before and thought it was fast but jst real messy trying to get all the parts for the file!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Newzbin is handy with part files one click and thats that no need to work about downloading different parts or even better you can just bookmark it on newzbin and sabnzb will auto add it and download it.I used to Work torrents for X264 but now i am with Upc and they torrent uploads it was near impossible to keep a good ratio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭FredH3as

I have a funny feeling...what with talk of download dvd rips an that.....

ibtl.jpg

Usenet is now illegal, but ya guys this is a Bargains alert so keep the talk to illegal download to nil.Don't want Boards to get in trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Usenet is now illegal

I wasn't aware that usenet was illegal - since when? Can you provide a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭FredH3as

joolsveer wrote: »

Here is a link!

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

Fred, stop wrecking the thread with your crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Pretty sure that was a typo. Maybe supposed to read "Usenet is not illegal, but....."

PS Thanks for the info pretty good deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

FredH3as wrote: »
    Here is a link!
    FredH3as,

It was a genuine question.. no need for that!

Unless you've something worthwhile to contribute, don't bother!

PS - I'll be watching this thread very closely.. as it's skating a fine line!

That was ment to say not illegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭corkproducers

Rapidshare has a limit of 2.6gig per day though doesn't it? that's crap to be honest....

Ya that limit they brought in is crap alright,

but for people who know they wont downloading that much per day, they'll get a better deal since its only 7 euro a month.

So can anyone tell me who used both, how does usenet compare to rapidshare?

Which can you get more stuff on?

I've found rapidshare to have the most out of all the file hosting sites,
    if usenet beats it, then thats a great achievement. :)

xlned.com is another cheap provider. Never used them but it you fancy giving them a shot they have prices from 2.21 euros a month
    Link

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Great Offer, I moved from Giganews to astraweb last jan and the only down side is/was the retention was lower on astraweb, Astraweb are making good progress with this. No difference in speed between both for me , both max out my connection but astraweb have free ssl which is a nice bonus.

Usenet has been around for years, i've been using it since 1995. You can find lots of information on Google if want to find out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Usenet is plain text and is no more illegal then any other random set of ascii.
    You are braking copyright law every time you use HTTP/S since you are download copyrighted pictures and other items almost every time you visit any site.
    Usenet is now illegal, but ya guys this is a Bargains alert so keep the talk to illegal download to nil.Don't want Boards to get in trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

wtf lol

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    Usenet is plain text and is no more illegal then any other random set of ascii.
    You are braking copyright law every time you use HTTP/S since you are download copyrighted pictures and other items almost every time you visit any site.
    wtf lol
    That was ment to say not illegal

It was a typo.

Lads if ye actually read my post after than i said i made a typo i ment to say NOT illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Maboza

Usenet is illegal now! wtf.

Advertisement