Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Usenet Deal 11Dollars

Options

Comments

I don't understand the obsession with newzbin. I find nzbmatrix superior and their free account (I know it's only 20days retention) is good enough to try things out without throwing more money away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I don't understand the obsession with newzbin. I find nzbmatrix superior and their free account (I know it's only 20days retention) is good enough to try things out without throwing more money away.

That's one big no for me, though free anything is always good if it suits someones needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

20 Days ha whats the point in have 365 days rentention with Astra Web. And while you may think its throwing away money i think its money well spent, And its not exactly breaking the bank even with the reccession.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Daithi McNulty

zAbbo wrote: »
    A years worth of newzbin would be around 20euro, although just cover enough until christmas and top up with the half price deal.

It's $5 a month when you sign up here http://www.newsbin.com/users/signup.php?&price_group=2&product_id=1

Maybe it's less signing up through Newzbin.com i don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

It's $5 a month when you sign up here http://www.newsbin.com/users/signup.php?&price_group=2&product_id=1

Maybe it's less signing up through Newzbin.com i don't know.

That's not newZbin, that's a usenet software with built in search engine.;)

• Advertisement

How does the premium credit system work?
    Premium credit is bought in blocks of weeks, and each week costs £0.3 sterling. Newzbin can safely and securely charge your card directly in order to purchase premium credit. You will be directed to a secure SSL link after clicking your card type.

This 52 week topup will cost £15.60.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

quarryman wrote: »
    sent.

hero

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

It is a little annoying having to pay for all the little bits of the different services just to get one overall service (if you know what i mean) - but once you get going, tis very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

any other newzbin invites knocking around??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Nzb matrix is alright - even if the nzb is over than 20 days you can then find it on nzbrsurs (the one I use primarily) or nzbindex.nl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Daithi McNulty

Does anyone know what free search/index sites have the highest retention?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Messing around with Astraweb and sabnzbd for a few days now.I have 20mb with upc and the average speed I'm getting is only around 800-900KB/s,should I not be getting much better speeds?Bear in mind I'm totally new to newsgroups so chances are I haven't got things configured correctly yet.Does anyone have any idea where I could be going wrong or point me to a site that has a good set up guide for beginners,thanks.

I assume your using the European Astra Server? I am getting 2363k on 20mb UPC

Yeah its the eu.news.astraweb server on port 119.So your getting about 3 times the speed I am so I was right about something not being correct.Again this is all new to me so should I be port forwarding the 119 port in my router like you need to do with utorrent etc.?Just checked there and it's only about 600kb/s now.

Change port to : 443 make sure you have 20 connections.

Thanks Dan.Thats after booting speed up to about 1500KB/s so still a bit short of your speeds.Is there any other tweaks I could try to get a bit more speed?

Nope your still KINDA in peak times so hopefully it will speed up itself.

No bothers.Cheers for all your help Dan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Change port to : 443 make sure you have 20 connections.

Might make no difference but you can try port 563 as well ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

I have a few invites for newzbin if anyone is interested? PM your email address

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,501 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

OK signed up for the 120gig package and bought the 8 weeks credit on my newzbin account, downloaded and configed Sabnzbd, but cannot get it to work, if I click on the Sannzbd program icon on the desktop I get the following message
    SABnzbd needs a free tcp/ip port for its internal web server.
    Port 8081 on localhost was tried , but it is not available.
    Some other software uses the port or SABnzbd is already running

If I click on a newzbin bookmark I've setup I still don't get anything any pointers for this first timer greatly appreciated

Thanks

change to 8080

Its ok for some reason under Sabnzbd under vista it was running 4 times so had to kill the processes and then it worked, one other thing my cpu load is 100% with 2 par2.exe processes running is this normal?
    change to 8080

Yeah Repairing files with Par files uses alot of cpu not sure if 100% but my macbook slows big time doing it and thats with 4gb of ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

OK signed up for the 120gig package and bought the 8 weeks credit on my newzbin account, downloaded and configed Sabnzbd, but cannot get it to work, if I click on the Sannzbd program icon on the desktop I get the following message
    SABnzbd needs a free tcp/ip port for its internal web server.
    Port 8081 on localhost was tried , but it is not available.
    Some other software uses the port or SABnzbd is already running

If I click on a newzbin bookmark I've setup I still don't get anything any pointers for this first timer greatly appreciated

Thanks

What software/hardware firewall have you got? I had problems with Eset Smart Security blocking SABNZBD until I worked out what was going on.

Edit: just realised you sorted it!

carbsy wrote: »
    What software/hardware firewall have you got? I had problems with Eset Smart Security blocking SABNZBD until I worked out what was going on.

Edit: just realised you sorted it!

Nah looks like Sabnzbd doesn't sit well with Vista, I've installed firefox and the addon and its working smoothly although the par2.exe's eat cpu cycles while its doing its thing.

As I said I went with the option to buy the 120gig option, gone through 40 gig in 24 hours, but like the option as I can used it when I want it also found the sister site of newzbin which is eating into my 120gig :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Sabnzbd is working perfect for me on x64 vista.

went with the $11/pm option in the OP; got 8 weeks credit on newzbin and she's flying.

maxing out my ntl conn for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Usenet is like a well guarded secret I've kept over the years. How I've laughed at others boasting about the pirate, virus-ridden files they would get from bit torrent and other dodgy sites. Meanwhile I'd be maxing out my line from news servers on anything I fancied.

sshhh. let's keep it to ourselves ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Well this thread has got me using Sabnzbd(I had been using Grabit) and so far I'm liking it.Is it possible to open sabnzbd directly when I click a Nzb file. I started using Usenet years ago too, it was free with NTL at the time although retention was crap 30 days and a lot of groups where missing. The only downside I have with astraweb is only one person can use the account at a time, with newshosting.com I could split the 20 connection with a friend

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

kaimera wrote: »
    Sabnzbd is working perfect for me on x64 vista.

went with the $11/pm option in the OP; got 8 weeks credit on newzbin and she's flying.

maxing out my ntl conn for the most part.
    Sabnzbd also working well here on Vista x64. Unless it's 32bit Vista that issues are with

Advertisement