Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[US/IRL] 5X07 - "??????" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **] Poll added!!

Options
  • 26-02-2009 3:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭

- WARNING: THIS THREAD WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT YET SEEN EPISODE

THE EPISODE TITLE IS A SPOILER. DO NOT READ ON IF YOU WANT THE TITLE OF THIS EPISODE TO REMAIN A MYSTERY

SPOILER WARNING:

From now on, this thread shall reveal details of the episode mentioned above. If you have not yet seen this episode, please do not move any further down the thread.

Episode Title: "The life and death of Jeremy Bentham"
    Airdate: Feb 26th 2009

Synopsis (from TV.Com):
    Spoiler: Locke's fateful mission off the island as Jeremy Bentham is revealed.

Next New Episode: 5X08 - Mar 4th - 2009
    This episode shall air on:

ABC (US) - Feb 26th 2009
    RTÉ (IRL) - Mar 01st 2009

If you are sure you have seen the episode as mentioned above (on the channels on those original airdates), you can move down further in order to discuss the episode.

Otherwise, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED - there shall be major plot details of the episode revealed and discussed below with no spoiler tags used!

Ok, real thread here
    It should be reaching its conclusion now in the states so hopefully it's out very soon!

Loved it, hate it. Rate it! 127 votes

0% 0 votes
    18% 24 votes
    25% 33 votes
    29% 37 votes
    14% 19 votes
    3% 5 votes
    3% 5 votes
    1% 2 votes
    0% 1 vote
    0% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

*bump so it's above the old thread*

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭whirlwind

ben kills locke
    wtf didnt see that coming
    iam bit diaspointed so far though tbh

pretty good a lot of locke's mission was played how i expected it would. Was hoping for a big Jack v Locke scene and felt a little underwemled by their encounter. Good to see to walt again and we found out who abadanon was working for.
    I dont know who to believe Ben or widmore. Did ben do what he did for good reasons ie to make them go back or for his own reasons and what will he do now that he is there. Also the way we see Ben at the end does that mean he wasnt supposed to go back like the others. I gave it an 8 because i was a little disappointed in the Locke and Jack scene. Anyway next weeks looks class.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Good episode I thought. I guess the main thing we can take from it is the whole 'whos telling the truth' angle. Both Ben and Widmore were basically saying the same thing throughout. I don't really know what to make of it.

Decent episode. I was hoping for a bit more.
    It kinda reminded me of Meeting Kevin Johnson, fairly dark especially the scene in the motel.

Main questions answered is that Abaddon was working for Widmore. I get the sense they brought him in to kill him off cause the actor is in Fringe. Flight 316 crashed on prison island like was said on some other thread. Ben is there and Locke is "alive" despite being killed by Ben!

I was a little disappointed with Lockes meetings with the Oceanic 6. I wanted them to say more. How come nobody asked how he got of the island. Why didn't Jack ask about Claire. Did Kate ask about Sawyer and so on.
    Also how did Jack know his name was Jeremy Bentham?
    I also wonder how Sayed got from Dominican Republic to the mental instituted in Santa Rosa. Who or what made him go? Hopefully we see that in an upcoming flashback.

Oh also, we learned a good bit more about Widmore which was interesting. I think he said he was on the island for 3 decades before Ben ousted him. This must mean Penny was born on the island right?

Anyway. I give it a 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Requiem4adream

Anima wrote: »
    Good episode I thought. I guess the main thing we can take from it is the whole 'whos telling the truth' angle. Both Ben and Widmore were basically saying the same thing throughout. I don't really know what to make of it.

For a long time now the writers have been playing the "is he good/evil" card re: Ben, i think after this episode if they try pull another 360 to portray him as good it'll lose credibility.
    He clearly murdered John in a fit of rage after hearing Eloise Hawkings name
    - yet there's still more to be filled in as to why he wanted him brought back to the island.

I was underwhelmed with some of the conversations: particularly with Walt. Clunky at best. "Must be like 3 years since i saw my dad". Glad to know you care then Walt! Still unconvinced for the reason behind seeing him, as their conversation revealed nothing.

None of the other encounters had an epic feel to them, nor did John really offer compelling reasons for wanting them to come back. The whole 'to save your friends' angle was all he could come up with and i doubt they believed him anyway.

I'm also not convinced they did enough in the episode to make his attempting suicide realistic. Reminded me of a poor imitation of the Shawshank Redemption scene minus the compelling reasons for doing it. He gave up rather too quickly; i dont think Kate, Jack etc making him out to be a lonely, old man would dissuade him (from trying to get them back) as quickly as it did.

I guess the major thing to take from the episode is that he's alive again. Raises questions re: Christian and some others over the duration of the show who have appeared to people.

Overall i think it had potential to be a classic but trudged in disappointingly around the 7/10 mark.

• Advertisement

I agree that his reasons were not enough and in general I can't think of 1 reason why Richard, Ben, Eloise, Locke and everyone needs the Oceanic 6 to return the island. What will they actually do or achieve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I was underwhelmed with some of the conversations: particularly with Walt. Clunky at best. "Must be like 3 years since i saw my dad". Glad to know you care then Walt! Still unconvinced for the reason behind seeing him, as their conversation revealed nothing.

I thought that conversation had a bit of forshadowing. Walt told John he had been having dreams of John in a suit being threatened by a bunch of people on the island. Now that we know Ben is there with John, I wouldn't be surprised if Ben manipulates the crash victims of 316 into thinking that John is the bad guy, thus explaining Walts dreams.

Oh, and Helen died on my birthday!:eek::P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Like was said above, I thought it promised a lot but was ultimately disappointing.

I guess they're saving the actual reasons Jack, Kate etc. decided to return for future flashbacks. We really got nothing but confirmation that Locke visited them all (bar Sun).

The only level on which it really worked for me was as something of a character study of Locke. He's been written as someone who always felt inadequate until he got to the island, and I think they wanted to show him struggle again as he tried and failed to fulfil this "destiny" that he feels is there but doesn't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Thought it was a good episode, with a few flaws.
    It was pretty obvious, from previous episodes, that Locks discussions with the oceanic 6 were not the ones to convince them (aside from starting Jack on his downward spiral) but they were very very underwhelming. He made little effort to convince. As mentioned by others... this "save the people left behind" is a bit weak.

Agree with LZ5by5 on the Walt comment... that was the reason for the encounter all right.

My big peeve about this episode was the Lock suicide scene. Very disappointing. I was sure it was going to be due to him realising that Richard was right, and he needed to die. Followed by an epic inner battle to actually carry out the deed.
    Instead, we got a whimpering John, giving up... I thought we were rid of that insecure whiny bitch. I know you could say it's the off island John vs the on island John, but that doesn't cut it for me.

I did liked the death scene though.... Bens rage at the mention of Eloise Hawking was interesting... lends towards it been jealousy that she thinks John is special and not him. I recall someone mentioning that she may also be Bens mother, perhaps more of a possibility now. This might also clear up why he then wanted JLs body to go back to the island.... because mummy said so :pac:

The Charles vs Ben battle for righteousness continues. My take, they're both twisted evil fcks :D
    Seriously, never mind good vs bad... I reckon they're both evil. The island, and perhaps the power it gave them, has corrupted them both. I reckon the two are just the top layer of pawns fighting it out anyway.

All in all, I thought it better than the last few weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭pkumohideeile

abelard wrote: »
    Like was said above, I thought it promised a lot but was ultimately disappointing.

I guess they're saving the actual reasons Jack, Kate etc. decided to return for future flashbacks. We really got nothing but confirmation that Locke visited them all (bar Sun).

The only level on which it really worked for me was as something of a character study of Locke. He's been written as someone who always felt inadequate until he got to the island, and I think they wanted to show him struggle again as he tried and failed to fulfil this "destiny" that he feels is there but doesn't understand.

Yes this is all true in my mind. Still I wasn't bored, i enjoyed it all so gave it an 8 because i've wanted to see these scenes for a long time since the 3rd/4th season.

I can't remember the timeframe in lost but does anybody remember when Jack says in the hostpital hallway to some doctor "you can ask my father upstairs" about something or other? And that sounded ludicrous because his dad was dead. Did that happen right after locke met with jack??

What is the deal with Walt aging so fast? He's going to end up like Robin Williams in 'Jack'. I heard the creators had a story for this, i wish they'd filled that in a few seasons ago so we wouldn't think it's weird to watch Walt on screen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

They landed on Hydra island, I knew it! :cool: Although not on the runway the Others were building. Would have been cool if they had.

I really liked this episode. The O6 stuff was a bit predictable. But the end was pure craziness. I can't believe they killed Abaddon, but like cooker said he's in the Fringe now so we should have seen it coming.

I reckon the two island sequences bookending the episode were added after they decided to switch it with last week's episode. According to DarkUFO the opening scene (with Caesar in the Hydra, etc) was originally going to be the teaser scene of the premiere but they replaced it with the Candle/Orchid stuff. And the last scene of Locke finding Ben was probably ripped from another episode.
    What is the deal with Walt aging so fast? He's going to end up like Robin Williams in 'Jack'. I heard the creators had a story for this, i wish they'd filled that in a few seasons ago so we wouldn't think it's weird to watch Walt on screen.
    I think he's meant to have aged normally. That scene takes placed 3 years after Walt left the island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭pkumohideeile

I wonder would I have given this episode an 8 if last weeks episode wasn't so dissapointing. Probably should have given a 7. ah well.

Hey will Locke get super dissappearing powers like Christian?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

They landed on Hydra island, I knew it! Although not on the runway the Others were building. Would have been cool if they had.

On second thoughts, going by the screencaps, it looks like Lapidus DID land the plane on the runway, he just went slightly off it into the trees as the plane came to a stop.

Check it out:

http://i.iimmgg.com/images/gr/d3651c14c6743e1ccb1f8feb0cff3ff1.jpg

You can just about make out the makeshift gravel runway. Very very cool. This means Ben knew back in season 3 about Flight 316 coming to the island.

Here's a shot of the runway from a deleted scene in season 3:
    http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Image:Runwaybirdview.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I forgot to mention what I thought about Locke and Ben. I really am conflicted about Locke's death scene because it is hard to decipher want angle they were coming from.

How did Ben get to point A (genuine concern for John) to point B (choking John in a fit of rage)? The only guess I can come up with is that Ben always planned on murdering John. I think Ben lured John into a fall sense of security so he could committ the deed himself. He has blind hatred for John because of how he was usurped as the leader of the island, he wanted the satisfaction of murdering John. It truly was an evil act.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

What I took from Ben's actions is that he was only using Locke again for his own plans. Ben acted concerned because he needed to find out how to get back to the island. He told Locke everything that he wanted to hear, you're inportant / special etc. If Locke died, that information would have been lost forever and Ben would be stuck not knowing what to do. After Locke told him the plan ie. get all the people and go to Eloise, Ben no longer needed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Anima wrote: »
    What I took from Ben's actions is that he was only using Locke again for his own plans. Ben acted concerned because he needed to find out how to get back to the island. He told Locke everything that he wanted to hear, you're inportant / special etc. If Locke died, that information would have been lost forever and Ben would be stuck not knowing what to do. After Locke told him the plan ie. get all the people and go to Eloise, Ben no longer needed him.
    This is exactly how I saw it too. Once Ben knew what to do after getting the O6 together he didn't need Locke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I really enjoyed the Jack and Locke scene, especially when Locke mentioned Christian. The big thing I took from this episode was Abbadon's "I make sure people get where they're supposed to be" - ramming home the point that he made sure all the Losties were on Flight 815.
    jimbling wrote: »
    My big peeve about this episode was the Lock suicide scene. Very disappointing. I was sure it was going to be due to him realising that Richard was right, and he needed to die. Followed by an epic inner battle to actually carry out the deed.
    I thought Terry O'Quinn's acting was fantastic, the highlight of this episode for me, but like you said I was a bit disappointed that once again he let himself be manipulated by Ben. I thought he would just for once ignore Ben and do what Richard said and kill himself. For a moment I thought Ben and Locke were going to fake Locke's suicide, maybe by putting Locke in a temporary coma like Nikki & Paulo were in, then out of nowhere Ben murders him, didn't see that coming.
    I did liked the death scene though.... Bens rage at the mention of Eloise Hawking was interesting... lends towards it been jealousy that she thinks John is special and not him. I recall someone mentioning that she may also be Bens mother, perhaps more of a possibility now. This might also clear up why he then wanted JLs body to go back to the island.... because mummy said so :pac:
    Sherifu wrote: »
    This is exactly how I saw it too. Once Ben knew what to do after getting the O6 together he didn't need Locke.

I can't make out why he killed Locke, why didn't he leave Locke do it himself? Why plead with him, then kill him? Is it because of the mention of Eloise that Ben realised something else, jealousy maybe?
    The Charles vs Ben battle for righteousness continues. My take, they're both twisted evil fcks :D
    Seriously, never mind good vs bad... I reckon they're both evil. The island, and perhaps the power it gave them, has corrupted them both. I reckon the two are just the top layer of pawns fighting it out anyway.

All in all, I thought it better than the last few weeks
    I always thought Ben was definitely one of the "good guys" but now I'm totally confused after him murdering Locke.
    On second thoughts, going by the screencaps, it looks like Lapidus DID land the plane on the runway, he just went slightly off it into the trees as the plane came to a stop.

Check it out:

http://i.iimmgg.com/images/gr/d3651c14c6743e1ccb1f8feb0cff3ff1.jpg

You can just about make out the makeshift gravel runway. Very very cool. This means Ben knew back in season 3 about Flight 316 coming to the island.

Here's a shot of the runway from a deleted scene in season 3:
    http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Image:Runwaybirdview.jpg
    Nicely spotted. From a recent podcast or DVD commentary the writers laughed about the runway as if it was something that they were just going to pretend never happened, but it looks like they worked it into the show, whether it was planned since then, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I can't make out why he killed Locke, why didn't he leave Locke do it himself? Why plead with him, then kill him? Is it because of the mention of Eloise that Ben realised something else, jealousy maybe?
    The way I saw it is as much as Ben knows he didn't know Eloise was the key. There could be a different angle but that was my first take on it.

This is the first time that old fake spoiler from previous seasons is actually true:

"Locke dies"

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

I'm thinking Ben doesn't know half as much about evrything as we've previously been led to believe. He didn't know Jin was still alive, and it seemed he was teasing information out of Locke before he killed him. He obviously didn't know at that point that getting Locke back to the island was critical to 'the plan'. He obviously rushes straight off to see Eloise, who fills him in and he begins the rounding-up process all over again. He's then surprised again to find out (from Desmond) that Eloise is Faraday's mother. Ben/Widmore - good/evil question is definitely a red herring. They're both vying for control of something they don't fully understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I liked the stuff with Locke and Widmore, and Locke and Abbadon, but asides from that it was a letdown. The O6 meetings told us nothing, but I guess they set up a start point for the subsequent flashbacks to explain their motivation for going to the island. I'm still curious as to what the impact of Walt and Desmond's absence will be. My read of Ben killing Locke was that Locke couldn't die by his own hand, he needed someone else to do it (presuming Ben knew what Richard told Locke, as Ben always seems to know these things).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

huge improvement on last week's disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

My read of Ben killing Locke was that Locke couldn't die by his own hand, he needed someone else to do it (presuming Ben knew what Richard told Locke, as Ben always seems to know these things).
    Yeah I was mulling over that idea too, but for some reason it's just not sitting right with me. Remember what Abbadon was saying to Locke about having a choice whether he wanted to die or not? That might tie in with what you're saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

cooker3 wrote: »
    Main questions answered is that Abaddon was working for Widmore. I get the sense they brought him in to kill him off cause the actor is in Fringe.
    It was already confirmed that he worked for Widmore, at the end of last season, he was the one who hired Daniel, Miles etc

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I thought that conversation had a bit of forshadowing. Walt told John he had been having dreams of John in a suit being threatened by a bunch of people on the island. Now that we know Ben is there with John, I wouldn't be surprised if Ben manipulates the crash victims of 316 into thinking that John is the bad guy, thus explaining Walts dreams.
    I took that dream to be a reference to the opening scene, locke dressed up on the beach surrounded by people worried about him.
    What is the deal with Walt aging so fast? He's going to end up like Robin Williams in 'Jack'.
    Em, you have it backwards, its been 3 years on screen since we seen Walt. (which was only a year off screen) So he actually aging quite slow. Unlike the 100 days spent over 4 years.

Ben is a good guy. I've been convinced of this since episode 4 of season 3. It may take until the end of the series, but I've no doubt that he will be revealed as a good guy in the end. Not as a white knight but as someone who did bad things to ensure good prevails. Like a certain character in the Harry Potter series...

Why did he kill Locke? I think Locke will tell a past-version of Ben to do it in the future. Locke's death and rebirth is a necessary part of his journey. But there's something about Locke's mention of Hawking that makes Ben realise he has to do it.

And now that it turns out that Abaddon was just a lowly human, I'm starting to (again) lean towards the idea that Jacob is the big force for evil on the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

I'm thinking Ben doesn't know half as much about evrything as we've previously been led to believe. He didn't know Jin was still alive, and it seemed he was teasing information out of Locke before he killed him. He obviously didn't know at that point that getting Locke back to the island was critical to 'the plan'. He obviously rushes straight off to see Eloise, who fills him in and he begins the rounding-up process all over again. He's then surprised again to find out (from Desmond) that Eloise is Faraday's mother. Ben/Widmore - good/evil question is definitely a red herring. They're both vying for control of something they don't fully understand.

Going on that episode that seems absolutely sound logic and I really want to agree with it but what about the information Ben has known in the past; the individual files on the losteis, the communicatios center on the island, the information about Jacob, the commanding of Richard Alpert, bringnig Juliet to the Island via sub, the operation of 'smokie' to kill off the army guys last season, his little foray from the wheel through the desert (interesting that Ben wasn't killed by Widmore who is monitoring the 'exit'...Ben simply has to Know a lot of stuff..I'm wondering if there isn't some kind of time issue involved with him travelling between different time periods the way Locke recently has, perhaps Ben is only learning now what he knew in season 1, a bit out there but possible I suppose.
    to know a lot of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I thought it was an outstanding piece of drama. Loved it. I thought Terry O'Quinn's performance throughout the episode was absolutely brilliant. The murder of Locke had me absolutely outraged. :pac: The ending did placate me somewhat.

I'm not so sure that I agree with Sad Professor on Ben ultimately being revealed as a good guy. I can certainly see it's a possibility alright, but this is a guy that watched his own daughter be killed in front of him so I'm not sure he's getting orders from another Locke on what to do.

I find myself thinking back to Sayid's words to Hurley when he said whatever he tells you, do the opposite. Sayid knows he can't be trusted. Remember he was pretty much bang on the money all the time during the first two seasons when it came to figuring people out. It's what he did for a living, figure people out. I think he's right about Ben once again. He's not to be trusted. I don't think Locke will trust him in the future. Then again, I could be completely wrong. That's what I love about this episode. It has set things up beautifully and the writers can go a lot of ways with it.

10/10 from me. Best show on television when it produces episodes like this. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,818 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Thought it was more or less a fine episode to be honest!

The twist of Ben turning on Locke and killing him was magnificiently done.. as was the end of episode reveal.

I'm with SP on this... Ben has been (in my opinion for the past 2 seasons) essentially a "good guy". He's done bad things.. but I think with a purpose and is fighting for a good cause essentially.

One thing I did take with me from this episode is if Locke is alive on the Island and it's somewhat due to taking the place of Christian on 316, this vision we're seeing of Christian would not appear a hallucination (as Locke can be seen.. well, by the survivors of 316) but will this have an effect on either Christian or Locke leaving the Island?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

basquille wrote: »
    One thing I did take with me from this episode is if Locke is alive on the Island and it's somewhat due to taking the place of Christian on 316, this vision we're seeing of Christian would not appear a hallucination (as Locke can be seen.. well, by the survivors of 316) but will this have an effect on either Christian or Locke leaving the Island?

On a related point to this, where does Claire fit in? A few episodes back she appeared to Kate and told her not to go back with Aaron. Yet Christian told Locke to bring them all back. So is she on a different page to Christian? Was it not Claire?

Anyone got any thoughts?

On a related point to this, where does Claire fit in? A few episodes back she appeared to Kate and told her not to go back with Aaron. Yet Christian told Locke to bring them all back. So is she on a different page to Christian? Was it not Claire?

Anyone got any thoughts?
    Maybe Christian's idea of "all" means only Jack, Kate, Sayid, Sun and Hurley. He told Locke last season: "The baby's where he's supposed to be, and that's not here. "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Anyone got any thoughts?

Aaron wasn't on the 815 flight manifest, so technically he didn't need to be brought back (neither was Desmond, but as we know, the island isn't finished with him yet. I'd go along with the theory that Kate will be pregnant as a result of sleeping with Jack the night before they went, to replace Claire on the 316 flight. Remember Claire was told that she, and she alone, was to raise Aaron - I'm presuming this will come up again when/ if ever she reappears.

As regards Christian being there, I'm presuming he was reincarnated in the same way that John has been now; I recall Jack finding the coffin way back in Season 1 and it was empty, and he also had visions (or were they) of his father on the island. Whether or not there can only be one reincarnated person on the island at one time could be revealed (maybe via flashback to what happens to Christian when John wakes up, or maybe they will meet up at some future point).

Advertisement