Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election called for Saturday 8 February

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Idbatterim wrote: »
    what is the issue with rural ireland and cars you are talking about?

Car pooling, cars parked at a community area and when you need one you just go and drive whatever is there.
    It's, the most ridiculous idea I've ever heard.
    You would ride your bike to pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,248 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Calhoun wrote: »
    Listening to rte debate on Sean O'Rourke showing how disconnected the greens are, rural Ireland will share cars.

If that is there idea of making geen solutions work for the common citizen they are out of their minds.

The future of public transport is driverless communal electric cars. Many other countries are way ahead of us in preparing for that.

blanch152 wrote: »
    The future of public transport is driverless communal electric cars. Many other countries are way ahead of us in preparing for that.

Aye.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

blanch152 wrote: »

Until then we will need to account for families up to five or more that need to travel.

I like many others living in the commuter hinterlands, do like to see the family we have had to leave in Dublin/Wicklow because we cannot afford and will not be given anything from a social perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

So FF and FG launched their manifestos today. What a waste of time. Neither party will be in a position to enact their manifesto and they know it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

So FF and FG launched their manifestos today. What a waste of time. Neither party will be in a position to enact their manifesto and they know it.

That's the plan. They don't want to govern. Hurlers from the ditch, oh FF/FG, thought it was all the other parties. :)

Likely it's waffle designed to get re-elected to government.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Car pooling, cars parked at a community area and when you need one you just go and drive whatever is there.

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/cars/news/driverless-transport-pods-begin-uk-public-trials/ar-BBZaq9q?li=BBr5RWG&ocid=mailsignout

whatever about when autonomous comes online, there are electric cars for 5-6,000 now that will comfortably do their few km run to the shop :rolleyes: Also plenty of new electric options which are coming down in price and the upper price ones have serious range!

Cant wait to hear about the attacks on rural ireland etc, when they can all choose to drive near free fuel and motor tax electric cars :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Sounds like a great idea to me. Everyone owning a car is totally unsustainable.

Sounds like a great idea to me. Everyone owning a car is totally unsustainable.

Everyone doesent own a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

You could also you know drive to pick it up. Perhaps your partner or children want to drive to the next town over and you're too busy. Or they rarely have need to drive and don't want to spend money on a second cars and it's running costs.

Just because the idea doesn't work for you don't mean it won't work for others. The idea works in Dublin. It can work in other towns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's not about enacting it, it's about keeping votes and getting more of them. At best it is focusing on issues that will need to be addressed in government. Voters understand the compromise of coalition and how promises get watered down or disappear, except maybe some Labour voters.

You could also you know drive to pick it up. Perhaps your partner or children want to drive to the next town over and you're too busy. Or they rarely have need to drive and don't want to spend money on a second cars and it's running costs.

Just because the idea doesn't work for you don't mean it won't work for others. The idea works in Dublin. It can work in other towns.
    And one could equally point out that just because it works for someone does not automatically make it suitable for everyone. What other towns?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

My brother & his workmates have been doing it 5 days a week for a few years now.

My brother & his workmates have been doing it 5 days a week for a few years now.

Nothing wrong with carpooling, it's a great idea.
    The sort of communal car pool the greens are talking about isn't a great idea if you live in rural Ireland, with no public transport and miles from your nearest communal centre.
    The greens in Ireland are a tax all grab all association.
    No real ideas except if they want it make them pay to the hilt for it.

is_that_so wrote: »
    And one could equally point out that just because it works for someone does not automatically make it suitable for everyone. What other towns?

Yes but I never claimed it works for all. You appeared to be saying it doesn't work for me so it won't work for anyone.

Start with the bigger towns Dundalk, Kilkenny, Waterford and work it out to smaller ones

greens in Ireland are a tax all grab all association.
    No real ideas except if they want it make them pay to the hilt for it.

What taxes? Please reference their manifesto or policy statements.

FG and FF have introduced 99% of the taxes in this state m FF and FG introduced and maintained USC for example

Yes but I never claimed it works for all. You appeared to be saying it doesn't work for me so it won't work for anyone.

Start with the bigger towns Dundalk, Kilkenny, Waterford and work it out to smaller ones
    Just because it appears to work in a very large city for some people doesn't mean you can just drop it on some random town. It's something we do well and then wonder why it doesn't work. Different car usage patterns at work in towns than a very large population centre and few even have adequate public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

It's not about enacting it, it's about keeping votes and getting more of them. At best it is focusing on issues that will need to be addressed in government. Voters understand the compromise of coalition and how promises get watered down or disappear, except maybe some Labour voters.
    Nail on the head. Labour with their few seats , were meant to stick it to fg and Frankfurt! Laughable ! They played a blinder for those that voted for them , protect the welfare state and public servants. Tens of billions borrowed to keep the gravy train going ...

What taxes? Please reference their manifesto or policy statements.

FG and FF have introduced 99% of the taxes in this state m FF and FG introduced and maintained USC for example

Dont need to, I know their modus operandi from before.
    The greens added to rural Ireland problems along with FF when they were in Govt, they were responsible for the masses of houses built around every little town and village and therefore in a big way for the current commuter filled roads.
    If they were talking of a great public transport initiative I'd be behind them, but at the minute and due to past experience, fcuk the greens and I hope their revival is pie in the sky.

Just because it appears to work in a very large city for some people doesn't mean you can just drop it on some random town. It's something we do well and then wonder why it doesn't work. Different car usage patterns at work in towns than a very large population centre and few even have adequate public transport.

Your attitude is I've decided it won't work so don't even bother trying. Mine is we haven't tried it yet, let's see if it works

• Advertisement

Dont need to, I know their modus operandi from before.
    The greens added to rural Ireland problems along with FF when they were in Govt, they were responsible for the masses of houses built around every little town and village and therefore in a big way for the current commuter filled roads.
    If they were talking of a great public transport initiative I'd be behind them, but at the minute and due to past experience, fcuk the greens and I hope their revival is pie in the sky.
    So you've no idea what taxes if any they suggested?
    How did they add to rural Ireland's problems and be specific? How where the greens responsible?

What public transport would you like to see?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

You attitude is I've decided it won't work so don't even bother trying. Mine is we haven't tried it yet, let's see if it works

Trying things to see if they work probably isn't the greatest approach to running a country.

Phoebas wrote: »
    Trying things to see if they work probably isn't the greatest approach to running a country.

Well you do an initial feasibility study, then a small trial, then a large. Then you launch. My point is if you dismiss everything out of hand then nothing changes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭endainoz

Well you do an initial feasibility study, then a small trial, then a large. Then you lunch. My point is if you dismiss everything out of hand then nothing changes

The opinion polls (for what they're worth) have Sinn Fein pretty high, whether that will actually turn into seats remains to be seen, but we'll see. Luckily no convicted terrorists in my constituency, sadly it looks like economic terrorists of Fianna fail will inevitably top the poll here

Your attitude is I've decided it won't work so don't even bother trying. Mine is we haven't tried it yet, let's see if it works
    No, my attitude is that you haven't even got the semblance of a plan so yeah I'm not bothering.

Well you do an initial feasibility study, then a small trial, then a large. Then you lunch. My point is if you dismiss everything out of hand then nothing changes
    I thought you were claiming it worked?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭endainoz

https://youtu.be/UQAsoeetHjg

Mairead explains it better that I ever could.

I thought you were claiming it worked?

It's does work in the places it's been tried

No, my attitude is that you haven't even got the semblance of a plan so yeah I'm not bothering.

Who's you? Do you want me to have a plan for non Dublin urban car sharing?

• Advertisement

So you've no idea what taxes if any they suggested?
    How did they add to rural Ireland's problems and be specific? How where the greens responsible?

What public transport would you like to see?

To pay for its proposals the Green Party is recommending:

Reintroducing an 80% windfall tax on the sale of rezoned land with a proportion of the funds going directly to the local authority
    Limit tax relief on pension funds which have enough funds to provide a pension of €48,000 per annum
    A wealth tax for people with assets over €10 million
    Increases to carbon tax
    Introducing a flight tax and ending all fossil fuel subsidies.

Advertisement