Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election called for Saturday 8 February

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

To pay for its proposals the Green Party is recommending:

Reintroducing an 80% windfall tax on the sale of rezoned land with a proportion of the funds going directly to the local authority
    Limit tax relief on pension funds which have enough funds to provide a pension of €48,000 per annum
    A wealth tax for people with assets over €10 million
    Increases to carbon tax
    Introducing a flight tax and ending all fossil fuel subsidies.

So you've no links to these claims of anti rural tax increases?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Red C being released tonight, if the bookies are any indication - FG are in for some hammering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

So you've no links to these claims of anti rural tax increases?

As I said, it's anti rural. It's increase taxes like carbon tax is in there. With a lack of public transport how do they intend people to get around?
    No ideas other than increase taxes increase taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,049 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

So FF and FG launched their manifestos today. What a waste of time. Neither party will be in a position to enact their manifesto and they know it.

Somewhat agreed. Manifestos are pretty much useless.
    So I hope you treat SF and other manifestos the same. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

As I said, it's anti rural. It's increase taxes like carbon tax is in there. With a lack of public transport how do they intend people to get around?
    No ideas other than increase taxes increase taxes.
    Aren't all parties favour of the carbon tax?
    Increasing taxes you can't name, right got ya!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Red C poll has FG at 23% and FF at 26% . Looks like a few FG TDs will becoming private citizens again. I do hope Murphy, Harris and Madigan are in that coterie.

markodaly wrote: »
    Somewhat agreed. Manifestos are pretty much useless.
    So I hope you treat SF and other manifestos the same. ;)

Good that we can somewhat agree on something. All manifestos are bs as no party will have a majority to enact them. It will be horse trading and a Bassett's Allsorts manifesto as the final outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

FF want to increase all welfare’s payments by e5 a week , every year! FF can do one!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Idbatterim wrote: »
    FF want to increase all welfare’s payments by e5 a week , every year! FF can do one!

and with that, they have lost a chance of my vote.

priority one will be tax cuts but my hard line is if youre giving away welfare im not giving away my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,173 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Politicians in all parties have found out, overdoing the tax cuts is a recipie for disaster in a country. You'll never see big cuts in tax put forward in an election.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    Politicians in all parties have found out, overdoing the tax cuts is a recipie for disaster in a country. You'll never see big cuts in tax put forward in an election.

Right and spending increases are financially sounds , but tax cuts aren’t ? Charging a marginal rate of fifty percent over a pittance is idiocy ! It’s totally anti enterprise!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Water John wrote: »

its not if you also dont promise to hand out money to everyone who doesnt work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

its not if you also dont promise to hand out money to everyone who doesnt work.

We need make sure them needs it gets it and those not eligible don't. Otherwise I'm fine with raising it if needed.
    Like everything else value for money and no cons or wastes is the goal.

Ban pyjamas in the welfare office , that’s one way to cut the spend !

Red C poll has FG at 23% and FF at 26% . Looks like a few FG TDs will becoming private citizens again. I do hope Murphy, Harris and Madigan are in that coterie.

I think that when push comes to shove and on voting day. I think people currently on the fence etc, will stick with the “tried and trusted “ fg. I think it will be very close but expect fg to win more seats ...

If ff win the most seats and bring all the **** crashing down again. To hell with whoever voted for them and complaining ! Even though many will be protected like the last crash , I’m sure they won’t lime to see their kids of grandkids emigrating in their droves again! Can you imagine suffering another several years of rte buklsgit anaylsis of another bust, the same morons. Finger pointing etc. the thought of it makes me sick !

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

Idbatterim wrote: »

This is buying votes. This may/will cause inflation; which is what they want to do?

And so, that will manufacture the perfect excuse, the 'reason', the nightmare; to shell out, concurrently, every week, every year, to their own favoured? Building firms; Thousands.
    And Billions; to build sub-standard sheds as housing; and build expansive domiciles that only their own, favoured? investors, will be granted mortgages to buy, (using HAP tenants for their collateral).

Anglo debt was shouldered by every citizen of this country; E40 billion.
    Anglo - mainly a Builders Bank?
    Will there be an Anglo now, by a different name?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I stuck a tenner on FF/FG and FF minority governments, both @ 16/1. Just think the next government will have to be some form of arrangement between FF and FG again.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Just a little warning to parties promising new estates all over the country.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0130/1111862-construction-sector/

This is buying votes. This may/will cause inflation; which is what they want to do?

And so, that will manufacture the perfect excuse, the 'reason', the nightmare; to shell out, concurrently, every week, every year, to their own favoured? Building firms; Thousands.
    And Billions; to build sub-standard sheds as housing; and build expansive domiciles that only their own, favoured? investors, will be granted mortgages to buy, (using HAP tenants for their collateral).

Anglo debt was shouldered by every citizen of this country; E40 billion.
    Anglo - mainly a Builders Bank?
    Will there be an Anglo now, by a different name?
    Anglo actually started out as an investment bank and it was the cheap money in the early noughties and vaulting ambition that sank them. It's about €30bn BTW, not 40. There will not be another Anglo.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,184 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

is_that_so wrote: »
    Just a little warning to parties promising new estates all over the country.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0130/1111862-construction-sector/

But sure they are only promises.....they'll never build half of what they are saying they will.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    But sure they are only promises.....they'll never build half of what they are saying they will.
    Yeah, I can see a Taoiseach in the next Dail standing up to say some of it can't be achieved amid increased warnings from the CB and the fiscal council.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,184 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yeah, I can see a Taoiseach in the next Dail standing up to say some of it can't be achieved amid increased warnings from the CB and the fiscal council.

Whatever it is, they will have an excuse when they fail to deliver, thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,286 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

This is the type of simplistic mistaken analysis that gives places like this a bad name.

In 2016 Fine Gael got 25.5% of the vote. Opinion poll margins of error are in the +/-3% bracket at best. Based on that opinion poll, Fine Gael could actually be looking at holding their own, or even up a few depending on transfers.

The real losers so far in the election vis-a-vis 2016 are independents, with a big swing back towards political parties. It is quite possible that FG will gain seats but still end up second biggest.

This weekend's polls will tell a lot more.

blanch152 wrote: »
    This is the type of simplistic mistaken analysis that gives places like this a bad name.

Dishonesty and disingenuous behaviour by certain posters you included I would contend gives places like this a bad name , despite your claim. As a Green supporter ( lol)you should be happy at their results in the poll I linked which as usual for you to make a swipe at another poster ,you ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

The amount of coverage given to Saoirse McHugh is staggering compared to her actual achievement to date.

A definite media darling

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The amount of coverage given to Saoirse McHugh is staggering compared to her actual achievement to date.

A definite media darling

Why is she in the Green Party btw ? I mean take away whether the Green Party policies are good or bad on the whole but Saoirse McHugh is completely at odds with some of the basic policies of the party and apparently Luke "Ming" Flanagan is running her campaign. I mean she seems a very soft Green Party member. I wonder is it a case of being in a tent instead of being stuck in the cold that made her pick the greens ?

Dishonesty and disingenuous behaviour by certain posters you included I would contend gives places like this a bad name , despite your claim. As a Green supporter ( lol)you should be happy at their results in the poll I linked which as usual for you to make a swipe at another poster ,you ignored.

I didn't make a swipe at another poster, I pointed out the obvious flaws in a silly post. Who the poster was or who they supported was irrelevant.

I point out ridiculous analysis when I see it, just like the boy points out that the Emperor has no clothes. Yes, it is unfortunate when people take it personally, and respond with personal insults as you just did, water off a duck's back, by the way, I don't report such stuff. However, that doesn't take away from the fact that my analysis was truthful, correct and precise and it is notable that you haven't disagreed with the main thrust of my post i.e. Fine Gael are more or less where they were in 2016, maybe a little up, maybe a little down. Fianna Fail are well up on 2016, and Sinn Fein and the Greens are up too. Independents are down.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,254 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    I didn't make a swipe at another poster, I pointed out the obvious flaws in a silly post. Who the poster was or who they supported was irrelevant.

I point out ridiculous analysis when I see it, just like the boy points out that the Emperor has no clothes. Yes, it is unfortunate when people take it personally, and respond with personal insults as you just did, water off a duck's back, by the way, I don't report such stuff. However, that doesn't take away from the fact that my analysis was truthful, correct and precise and it is notable that you haven't disagreed with the main thrust of my post i.e. Fine Gael are more or less where they were in 2016, maybe a little up, maybe a little down. Fianna Fail are well up on 2016, and Sinn Fein and the Greens are up too. Independents are down.

FG never dropped below 26% in polls in 2016 and most of them had them in the high 20's and 4 of them at 30% and over.

If that trend were to be repeated they would finish below 20%.

FG never dropped below 26% in polls in 2016 and most of them had them in the high 20's and 4 of them at 30% and over.

If that trend were to be repeated they would finish below 20%.

If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle.

The polling companies constantly adjust their methodology to take account of such trends. A 2016 adaptation is unlikely (but not impossible) to be repeated.

We can only rely on what we know - Fine Gael are currently within the margin of error of their 2016 performance, which is not the calamitous decline that the other poster was implying.

That may change, let's wait and see.

• Advertisement

I stuck a tenner on FF/FG and FF minority governments, both @ 16/1. Just think the next government will have to be some form of arrangement between FF and FG again.

I don’t think that we’ll have a government this side of Easter. There’ll be a lot of discussions to be had. Then it’ll be as you were. FG with support from FF but not a coalition.

Advertisement