Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election called for Saturday 8 February

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »
    I posted about the Register of Interests several months ago, when Mick Wallace was in court over not paying a mortgage on one of the many properties he hadn't declared in the Register of Interests.

At the time, if I recall correctly, you were among the posters who dismissed my concerns - I also referenced Gerry Adams' apparent failure to mention his Northern Ireland pensions and properties.

Curiously, all of a sudden, when Fine Gael are in the spotlight, it becomes an issue of concern, with reform suddenly urgently needed.

Can you recall my supporting Gerry Adams or Mick Wallace on this?
    Likely you were using it to deflect from another government related issue.
    In short, this came out today. There is an election on.
    Why on earth are you deflecting? This covers near all of them.

I recall a lot of us voting in FG in 2011 under the promise to 'change the way we do business'. Because they didn't, something something Mick Wallace? Best concentrate on the policy makers and possible new government.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,272 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I recall a lot of us voting in FG in 2011 under the promise to 'change the way we do business'. Because they didn't, something something Mick Wallace?

I think the point I am making is that this information was available to all months ago.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/members/register-of-members-interests/

I supplied this link at the time for everyone on here to look at it. Reacting now to the latest sensationalist media fascination is not for me, I am usually far ahead of and above that.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

Singing come out ye frigin brats , fight me like a man !

I just thought it was a very strange sight to see 10 /11 year olds being handed the flyers to bring home. Obviously to afraid to speak to the parents directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I recall a lot of us voting in FG in 2011 under the promise to 'change the way we do business'. Because they didn't, something something Mick Wallace? Best concentrate on the policy makers and possible new government.

What exactly is your issue on this?

That TDs get a ridiculous pension?

blanch152 wrote: »
    I think the point I am making is that this information was available to all months ago.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/members/register-of-members-interests/

I supplied this link at the time for everyone on here to look at it. Reacting now to the latest sensationalist media fascination is not for me, I am usually far ahead of and above that.

By sensationalist you mean news you'd rather wasn't published.

We know they don't always list their interests. This new article includes the pension windfalls. It's of interest especially with the pension being a big issue.
    I'm sorry you never got the kudos for supplying your link.

• Advertisement

What exactly is your issue on this?

That TDs get a ridiculous pension?

Pretty much. It's interesting to note considering retirees being expected to sign on the dole for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Pretty much. It's interesting to note considering retirees being expected to sign on the dole for a year.

Nine months if they have any money.
    A lot of people won't pass a means test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

RTE saying very large last minute registrations in Dublin city for the 5 five city areas

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

This is a well worn tactic in support of shoulder shrugging and being told to toddle along. Calling out something as not fit for purpose is the first step in positive change. Ridiculing that is working for stagnation and keeping things as is IMO.
    The worrying addition is suggesting the media are a bogeyman just out to stir.
    Where do you suggest we get our news?
    I know they get money from me by visiting their online sites. But I flat out refuse to buy any of their print garbage

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Peter Casey will "speak the truth" in 3..2..1.....

https://twitter.com/TG4TV/status/1220429112591966210

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Peter Casey will "speak the truth" in 3..2..1.....

https://twitter.com/TG4TV/status/1220429112591966210

I would hazard a guess he doesn't really want to go in, of all the constituencies he picked the one he did.

If he actually got in he would be on his own and would have little power to do anything.

Calhoun wrote: »
    I would hazard a guess he doesn't really want to go in, of all the constituencies he picked the one he did.

If he actually got in he would be on his own and would have little power to do anything.

I've a worrying feeling, (for his sake) that he believes the great unwashed ignorant paddy will praise the mighty businessman and ask him to take over.

If he was really clever he would set himself up as FF's go to, like FG have Mr. O'Brien.

I've a worrying feeling, (for his sake) that he believes the great unwashed ignorant paddy will praise the mighty businessman and ask him to take over.

If he was really clever he would set himself up as FF's go to, like FG have Mr. O'Brien.

He should take a look at George Lee as a lesson on those who feel they can make changes alone.

Also just to add, i don't think he is a real candidate i think he is being vindictive over the comments made by Leo against him in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Prime Time tonight all about huge commuting times and people in commuter belts struggling for basic services.

Regina Doherty is first up to the plate and spins it that huge commuting times could be viewed as a success, because more people on the roads means more people at work. How she is a high profile politician is beyond me, she always seems so lacking in empathy.

Arghus wrote: »
    Prime Time tonight all about huge commuting times and people in commuter belts struggling for basic services.

Regina Doherty is first up to the plate and spins it that huge commuting times could be viewed as a success, because more people on the roads means more people at work. How she is a high profile politician is beyond me, she always seems so lacking in empathy.

It's well documented that quality of life suffetesvfor people spending a lot of time in traffic/commuting. Ignorant on her behalf.

decades of investing virtually nothing in public transport. Joke infrastructure. Decades of world class waffle about dublin metro and dart underground etc though :rolleyes:

rural motorways, that would likely move less people in 24 hours, than the likes of the metro or dart underground, would move in dublin, in an hour at peak time, in a SUSTAINABLE mode of transport...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's well documented that quality of life suffetesvfor people spending a lot of time in traffic/commuting. Ignorant on her behalf.

She was trying to make sure to mention economic recovery got mentioned first, but it was so tone deaf on the back of what people said in the video that preceded it. I'm not a rabid FG hater, but that was an awful response.

The more coverage I watch the more depressed I feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

The most ridiculous thing I've seen commuting wise is instead of adding additional services at rush hours because of overcrowding, Irish rail asking passengers to change the times they commute.

Passengers fainting has become a common occurance.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    The most ridiculous thing I've seen commuting wise is instead of adding additional services at rush hours because of overcrowding, Irish rail asking passengers to change the times they commute.

Passengers fainting has become a common occurance.

you are talking about the CIE group, it is run for the benefit of its staff only!

on the infrastructure forum, a poster living in germany posted this, that country is about as far as you can get from this tin pot republic, when it comes to running things properly!

Depressing but sadly no longer surprising. Today the federal government here (Germany) announced a contract with the Bahn to invest 86 billion in infrastructure improvements.

Having said that, the German basic law (constitution) states:

4) The Federation shall ensure that, in developing and maintaining the federal railway system as well as in offering services over this system, other than local passenger services, due account is taken of the interests and especially the transportation needs of the public. Details shall be regulated by a federal law.

(Federation here means federal government).

"Depressing (the ditching of tunnel aspect of DU for the time being) but sadly no longer surprising. Today the federal government here (Germany) announced a contract with the Bahn to invest 86 billion in infrastructure improvements.

Having said that, the German basic law (constitution) states:

4) The Federation shall ensure that, in developing and maintaining the federal railway system as well as in offering services over this system, other than local passenger services, due account is taken of the interests and especially the transportation needs of the public. Details shall be regulated by a federal law.

(Federation here means federal government).

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Regina was a disgrace on primetime. Totally out of touch. She was incapable of discussing the issues. Catherine Connolly talking sense..... thankfully one intelligent lady on the panel.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 11 defomcbigno

Leo really is desperate, he‘ll dissapear back into the abyss of incompetence once the election is over. Can’t wait till he gets his gold-studded EU job and we get a Taoiseach that focuses on housing, healthcare, jobs, transport and Irish reunification.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Regina was a disgrace on primetime. Totally out of touch. She was incapable of discussing the issues. Catherine Connolly talking sense..... thankfully one intelligent lady on the panel.

Connolly is an excellent politician but even her seat is not safe in Galway West.

Leo really is desperate, he‘ll dissapear back into the abyss of incompetence once the election is over. Can’t wait till he gets his gold-studded EU job and we get a Taoiseach that focuses on housing, healthcare, jobs, transport and Irish reunification.

I honestly doubt we ever will, look at who goes into politics, they are pathetic here!

Connolly is an excellent politician but even her seat is not safe in Galway West.

I cannot remember why but she was in the news a while back due to some controversy.

She seems to be like any other politician though got a nice golden handshake when she stopped being a councillor.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

This is a well worn tactic in support of shoulder shrugging and being told to toddle along. Calling out something as not fit for purpose is the first step in positive change. Ridiculing that is working for stagnation and keeping things as is IMO.
    The worrying addition is suggesting the media are a bogeyman just out to stir.
    Where do you suggest we get our news?
    Posters are either waving things away or shrugging their shoulders. It's not a terrible persuasive approach. News is facts, opinion dressed up as facts is not news and there is far too much of that about. It just feeds prejudices. We all bring bias to anything we do or see. I'm not sure what version of positive change you want as it seems to simply revolve around getting the incumbents out. There's a whole lot more to any change than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

And who might that be?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    All this talk about varadkar and cannabis! I'm fairly sure he's an occasional user of the odd popper! :pac:

how could you be fairly sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,171 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If he did, he was a med student and it was for, research purposes.

Listening to rte debate on Sean O'Rourke showing how disconnected the greens are, rural Ireland will share cars.

If that is there idea of making geen solutions work for the common citizen they are out of their minds.

• Advertisement

what is the issue with rural ireland and cars you are talking about?

Advertisement