Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election called for Saturday 8 February

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

rob316 wrote: »
    The ****ing pension age has to go up, its not an Irish thing this is happening all over Europe. When state pensions were first introduced people didn't live long after or even to that age at all, now you have most live into there 80's. The cost is unsustainable and we risk having no state pension in the future or a significantly reduced one.

This shouldn't be an election gambit.

Unfortunately once one party uses a gambit like this the others have to respond. That's how the game is played and to hell with the long-term consequences...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I don’t see the issue with the retirement age staying at 65, sure aren’t we going to be finished paying the IMF / Troika related loans before the ageing population Grows much bigger.

I don't think it was about fiscal responsibility pensions wise anyway. Not like they were going to set the money aside untouched in a post office savings account. They were just looking for more revenue to support the political manner they've become accustomed to, spending more on welfare so private business can fill their pockets on leases and rents. Not to mention sweet deals for pals.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Your not far too wrong from my observations. Perhaps they need a few more conservative candidates. I'm a member and Catherine Murphy will be certainly getting my number one. There is another one that annoys the bejaysus out of me for being quite shouty on twitter. Owen Hanley in Galway.

These woke candidates that actively look to create controversy and shout racism, misogyny, homophobia and whatever other nonsensical accusations at the drop at a hat do more damage than good imo.

catherine murphy i can respect though she is far too far left economically for me , roisin shorthall however is the biggest waffler in the dail and has been for a decade

insufferable woman who is never off the radio and tv

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    The real pity is that Amadan O'Riordain might benefit from Broughan withdrawing

no might about it , the media love amadan , he might as well have retained his seat the last time , he was never off radio and tv since 2016

The ****ing pension age has to go up, its not an Irish thing this is happening all over Europe. When state pensions were first introduced people didn't live long after or even to that age at all, now you have most live into there 80's. The cost is unsustainable and we risk having no state pension in the future or a significantly reduced one.

This shouldn't be an election gambit.

the reaction to this issue has confirmed to me that we are a very immature people and face a very severe day of reckoning down the line , the pension time bomb will make the banking crisis look like a picnic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

And they'll probably postpone the rise for another year but all you are doing is kicking it down the road.
    Yeah an Elastoplast transition thing might be the best option when we get a new government.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    the reaction to this issue has confirmed to me that we are a very immature people and face a very severe day of reckoning down the line , the pension time bomb will make the banking crisis look like a picnic
    They majority of the SSIAs were set up in the last few days back in 2002, despite people having a year to do it. We are very last minute in a lot of things and should be grateful if we are in pension schemes!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,524 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The reaction centres around the lack of a legislative change to remove the ability of companies to enforce retirement on people at 65 where there is no pension available for 12 months.

If the government had changed the private sector legislation retirement age to 66 in line with the entitlement to receive a pension From 66 then there would not have been an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

We're supposed to be bringing in pension auto enrollment in 2022.

I can see the next government deferring that too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

400 billion euro is the forecast.

The state pension will be means tested and insufficient meaning a lot of pensioners will live in poverty.

• Advertisement

If the government had changed the private sector legislation retirement age to 66 in line with the entitlement to receive a pension From 66 then there would not have been an issue.

I'm doubtful that any government can impose that retrospectively (if at all).
    Employment contracts are entered into voluntarily.

What they could - and should - have done at least is got the employers groups together and got them to agree a voluntary change.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Well in fairness Leo is loaded and he has p*ssed off a lot of the country also, sauce for the gander and all that.
    Idbatterim wrote: »
    Varadkar a leader ?

He’s a follower. He follows kites !

Lol no comment on Leo, all I am saying is the troll in me gets a laugh of the constituency he picked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

If FG lose badly Varadkar will just shrug it off and take a holiday. I don't think he's arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

catherine murphy i can respect though she is far too far left economically for me , roisin shorthall however is the biggest waffler in the dail and has been for a decade

insufferable woman who is never off the radio and tv

She doesn't even have a penis!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭2020Vision

She used to have a prick called Stephen but he left her and joined FF.

400 billion euro is the forecast.

The state pension will be means tested and insufficient meaning a lot of pensioners will live in poverty.

Any politician who proposes raising the state pension is an enemy of those under forty

Willie o dea has done nothing this past four years other than demand more money for pensioners

Edgy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

2020Vision wrote: »

Got replaced with Gannon :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Don't think M Martin has to do a lot tonight other than throw bait at Leo for him to inevitably fall into the trap and blame FF for everything that FG could have fixed in the last 8 years.

Thats how it will go.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Any politician who proposes raising the state pension is an enemy of those under forty

Willie o dea has done nothing this past four years other than demand more money for pensioners

sure what else would you spend money on here, isnt everything else top class? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

2020Vision wrote: »

I think he’ll suffer for that in Wicklow, people who voted for him weren’t impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Fianna Fáiler on TV3 now saying "i'd hope people would learn from the mistakes of the past".

So do I.

Voting for Fianna Fáil is a mistake i'm never making again.

The absolute gall of these people. Destroy the country and expect to be back in government within a decade.

Phoebas wrote: »
    I'm doubtful that any government can impose that retrospectively (if at all).
    Employment contracts are entered into voluntarily.

What they could - and should - have done at least is got the employers groups together and got them to agree a voluntary change.

They can change it at least for future contracts, or introduce legislation that links the retirement age in the private sector to the age of the pension entitlement.

They can change it at least for future contracts, or introduce legislation that links the retirement age in the private sector to the age of the pension entitlement.

The government aren't a party to the contract I have with my employer and nor should they be.

It's a private matter. My current employment contract terminates on my 60th birthday. It's nothing to go with the government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Water John wrote: »
    Maxx, that is good right wing attack on the Soc Dems. The two ladies are recognised across the House for their ability and I think MM will be quite happy to accommodate them if he is forming a rainbow Govn't.

Don't mind the 2 TDs as they are (very good) but that party is wokeness personified and that is why they will wither and die after the two women are the only ones returned yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Don't mind the 2 TDs as they are (very good) but that party is wokeness personified and that is why they will wither and die after the two women are the only ones returned yet again.

What does 'wokeness personified' even mean. An absolute non sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I'm sorry for your apparent lack of comprehension, but you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I'd imagine this type of nonsense - read the Bio

Take a look at Niall Ó Tuathail (@niallotuathail): https://twitter.com/niallotuathail?s=09

He/him lol ffs.

As I already mentioned, I'm a member but this type of nonsense pisses me off and likely a lot of the electorate. Some of the candidates are far too into the virtue signalling.

Phoebas wrote: »
    The government aren't a party to the contract I have with my employer and nor should they be.

It's a private matter. My current employment contract terminates on my 60th birthday. It's nothing to go with the government.

They CAN legislate if they wish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Some are more equal than others it would appear.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/senior-tds-can-start-claiming-gold-plated-pensions-in-their-50s-38887712.html

The pensions issue is a thorn both FF and FG need to grasp, it ain't going away.

Advertisement