Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Women !

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MoashoaM

i think the green party are a better waste of money than the main fellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

vriesmays wrote: »
    Dermot Kennedy should change his name to Kanye Westlife.

i'm not sure why it is, but acts that use absolutely no innovation whatsoever seem to have the backing of irish media and beyond, they are selling seats too which is another anomaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I like election posters.

There, I've said it. They build a bit of excitement for the election.* Makes the place look less bare now that the Christmas decorations are down. I like spotting the ones where the candidates look completely deranged.

(*I also really enjoy watching coverge of the counts, and would hate if we ever went to electronic voting - where's the fun in knowing the result 5 minutes after polls close?)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭saabsaab

maudgonner wrote: »
    I like election posters.

There, I've said it. They build a bit of excitement for the election.* Makes the place look less bare now that the Christmas decorations are down. I like spotting the ones where the candidates look completely deranged.

(*I also really enjoy watching coverge of the counts, and would hate if we ever went to electronic voting - where's the fun in knowing the result 5 minutes after polls close?)

They are great for fixing up old sheds!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

saabsaab wrote: »
    They are great for fixing up old sheds!

And they make great improvised sleds when it snows.

As long as you don't mind sitting on a politician's face, that is :o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

They'd have to buy me dinner first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

My unpopular opinion is that the China Credit Score is a good idea and it prevents scumbags from wrecking society. It makes China into a utopia, not a dystopia.

A second opinion is that the Chinese political system of having a benevolent dictator is a better system than ours. They are taking over the world, and they'll take over space too, with space ships, rockets and robots.
    On the face of it, it seems like it might make people think before they commit crimes or act the arsehole, but in reality it is highly repressive. It does not account for nuance - like people making minor errors. It doesn't consider simply being human.
    i'm not sure why it is, but acts that use absolutely no innovation whatsoever seem to have the backing of irish media and beyond, they are selling seats too which is another anomaly.
    Blandness is hugely popular anywhere - look at Ed Sheeran and Michael Buble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Raconteuse wrote: »
    On the face of it, it seems like it might make people think before they commit crimes or act the arsehole, but in reality it is highly repressive. It does not account for nuance - like people making minor errors. It doesn't consider simply being human.

Like any political system, it has it's good points and bad points... but their system works at least as well if not better than western liberal democracies!

Individuals are expendable in China, that's the harsh reality, which is quite a shocking idea for most westerners to wrap their head around... where we worship the individual over the collective!

I don't think I would choose to live there, but I could see myself fitting in if I needed to live there... many westerners would struggle to adapt though imo. Thankfully it will probably be another 100 years or so before they take over the world, so nothing to worry about for a while... although I think learning mandarin would not be a bad idea! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

After all the scandals with the catholic church in this country, we as a people and as a country, should have stripped the church of most of their assets and given them back to the local communities!

Why does a local parish priest get to live in some huge grand old manor house, often the largest house in their village/town... while other locals might be struggling to afford a house of any kind?

They're not even allowed to get married or have any kids... they have no need to live in such opulence... And I think this also still gives them a certain stature and status in society, which they do not deserve to have!

And these grand big old churches too... many of them would make great community centres etc... we could easily repurpose them and move the sunday mass into a large porta-cabin. The numbers attending mass these days, don't really justify such huge buildings anyway... but more importantly does the catholic church deserve to hold on to such assets/buildings?

I've no issue with allowing people to practice their religion of choice btw... it's mostly just the status and power that an institution like the catholic church still maintains in this country, that irritates me tbh...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 228 ✭✭ghost of ireland past

China Social Credit Score.
    Raconteuse wrote: »

People will quickly learn the rules.

People learn not to put their hand in the fire. They don't ask the fire to be nicer to them.

People drive on the left. Imagine the chaos if we all decided for ourselves?

In China people follow the rules as they are easy to follow and people know the rules.

Their supposedly 'totalitarian' system appears to be better than ours, as our system seems to refuse to punish criminals and it certainly fails to take criminals off the streets.

I want the law enforced as I am not a criminal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Winning_Stroke

After all the scandals with the catholic church in this country, we as a people and as a country, should have stripped the church of most of their assets and given them back to the local communities!

Imo the degree to which anti-Catholic sentiment has become normalised in this country is a way of dealing with collective national guilt of the Magdalen etc. by dumping all of the anger and hatred onto the most easy part of the system to which an individual can detach.

The laundries didn't just appear out of nowhere. The communities, state, families, Catholic church and other organisations all played a part in what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Imo the degree to which anti-Catholic sentiment has become normalised in this country is a way of dealing with collective national guilt of the Magdalen etc. by dumping all of the anger and hatred onto the most easy part of the system to which an individual can detach.

The laundries didn't just appear out of nowhere. The communities, state, families, Catholic church and other organisations all played a part in what happened.

Yes! It's not like the laundries went door to door looking for unmarred pregnant women. Those women were impregnated by men who never had to face the consequences of their actions, and were most likely dumped in the laundries by their fathers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

I don't think women are as attracted to men as vice versa. I've had a few female friend and male friends, the latter no matter whether their lads lads or even feminine lads talk about how good looking women are they pass by and would like to **** them.

I've never heard a woman say this about a man. Sure they find him attractive but wouldn't **** him until she got to know him a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Lyan

I don't think women are as attracted to men as vice versa. I've had a few female friend and male friends, the latter no matter whether their lads lads or even feminine lads talk about how good looking women are they pass by and would like to **** them.

I've never heard a woman say this about a man. Sure they find him attractive but wouldn't **** him until she got to know him a bit.

It's the evolutionary dynamic between the sexes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

And they make great improvised sleds when it snows.

They're going to have their faces up voters' buttcheeks for the next while anyhow.

China Social Credit Score.

People will quickly learn the rules.

People learn not to put their hand in the fire. They don't ask the fire to be nicer to them.

People drive on the left. Imagine the chaos if we all decided for ourselves?

In China people follow the rules as they are easy to follow and people know the rules.

Their supposedly 'totalitarian' system appears to be better than ours, as our system seems to refuse to punish criminals and it certainly fails to take criminals off the streets.

I want the law enforced as I am not a criminal.
    It's also severely punishing people for tiny transgressions though - not at all just criminality. Like other utopian ideals, people being human isn't taken into account.

I'd say the anger is because of children getting raped and the living sh1t beaten out of them rather than collective guilt, but it is true that elements of society were complicit.

What do you mean by 'people being human'?

People learn not to put their hand in the fire.
    Is that not enough proof for you, that people can learn rules?

You're insisting that childish people who can't follow rules should be pandered to, and allowed to disrupt society.

I'm sorry but I don't agree.

What do you mean by 'people being human'?

People learn not to put their hand in the fire.
    Is that not enough proof for you, that people can learn rules?

You're insisting that childish people who can't follow rules should be pandered to, and allowed to disrupt society.

I'm sorry but I don't agree.
    Seriously? People's spending and travel habits are monitored and used to score them. This isn't just about criminal/anti social behaviour (I wouldn't mind it so much then) - it's about total control. Nobody would like that (except for the controllers).

It's not about total control. It's about 'some control'.

Is it wrong to put cameras on traffic lights which record when people break the lights?
    Are you against criminals getting caught?

I don't support the Irish system of people having hundred's of convictions. I'd be willing to try a new system but I agree it'd have to be eased in over the course of about 40 years. Irish people have become used to having little to no enforcement of necessary laws.

The problem is people don't want to come down hard on their friends and neighbours, but that is their job if they're a police officer. Cameras don't have feelings so they're better in that regard.

If you've been hard done by you can go to court to argue your case.

• Advertisement

Well I said I don't see the issue with controlling criminality/anti social behaviour, but it doesn't just control that - it monitors mundane things too. It's not about controlling criminality - it's about having a population of compliant drones. If it was just about controlling criminality/asb I'd be all for it.

In what way is it not about controlling criminality?

Where are you getting your information from?

Our current system of law and order in Ireland is not working. We need something new, and using technology to detect drime is a new thing, and we should use it.

What is the purpose of a population?
    What is wrong with compliant drones?
    What is the alternative?
    non-compliant non-drones?

Crazy, unpredictable people everywhere, like America I suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Crazy, unpredictable people everywhere, like America I suppose?

You'd prefer predictable people everywhere? Jesus man, I honestly hope you never get to live in your utopia. I'd hate to live there

Ironicname wrote: »
    You'd prefer predictable people everywhere? Jesus man, I honestly hope you never get to live in your utopia. I'd hate to live there
    So would that poster. Tis grand and easy to praise when not having to live in it.

It isn't JUST about controlling crime/anti social behaviour there - it's obvious what I meant. The pedantry. A system of controlling mundane aspects of people's private lives is never to be recommended. This doesn't mean being ok though with how crazily lenient things are in this country though, or being ok with chaos. That's silly putting words in the mouth. It's not a case of just one or the other.

I would like more of a clampdown on crime and ASB but the system in China is going way too far beyond that. Just look at any of the investigative reports. A person's spending and travel habits do not need to be monitored.

Where is the evidence that the China Social Credit System attacks mundane aspects of your life?

A facial recognition camera is just the same as a human policeman, but with better awareness. A better policeman.

We live in a system of laws and rules today but we don't describe them as oppressive. We do say some things are nanny state, like sugar taxes.

If the government offered better enforcement of existing laws would you prefer that?
    What about total enforcement?, but with a right to explain yourself in court if you want.

Cameras offer the chance of close to total enforcement, and a Social Credit system allows for punishment which works to change behaviour.

A Utopia for All, including for the criminals who are saved from a unproductive life of petty crime.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

you will always find the people who complain about the law being too intrusive, are the people who never had to live in rough areas surrounded by scum, anti social behavior, etc.

Were they seeing what a lot of people see, and have to deal with, they might welcome more stringent laws of certain behavior

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Jim Sheridan is a bad TV director whose reputation in Hollywood has collapsed since he got found out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

If the government offered better enforcement of existing laws would you prefer that? What about total enforcement?, but with a right to explain yourself in court if you want.

Totalitarianism? No thanks brother. I'd prefer it to be the way it is.

This attitude is difficult for me to understand.
    People don't want total enforcement of the law?
    So what do they want? partial enforcement, or no enforcement?

I think if we have laws we should aim for total enforcement, or else repeal the law entirely.

Complaining about total enforcement is not consistent with wanting the law in the first place. I find it bizarre that non-criminals would want a system of partial enforcement, and would want people with hundred's of convictions on the streets.

I have no real problem with using technology to enforce necessary laws. I can see that Irish society does have a problem. Ordinary people need to learn that the current system benefits petty criminals and it doesn't benefit the majority of people.

I only support a system which controls criminal behaviour, and serious anti social behaviour. Choosing exactly what they are though is tricky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

The next small town who protests that asylum seekers are welcome should be made house every one of them from direct provision.

Advertisement