Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Pro doorbell in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Heiser wrote: »
    Looking for CCTV cameras and I came across Ring products. Does anyone know if I can put the subscription to the recording service using phone credit? I need something that will be able to record and store footage, but don't want to pay for it every year.

Also, if I get multiple Ring devices, does the €3 per month cover storage from all devices?

Thanks
    No option to pay from phone credit.

It's €3 per device or €10 for unlimited devices (and they throw in 10% discount for future purchases and extended warranty). So if you were to get more than 3 devices, the unlimited plan would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

is it possible to unpin the moved post?489816.png

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Yes

I'll merge them. The pinned one was the first one I think. We'd a nice set of iot product related posts at the start

Edit they were already merged. Thanks for the heads up, I unpinned that one

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

All just wondering.

It's great that google and amazon have made up

I've had the ring bell and echo and the show

I kept the echo.

Anyway now I've a nest bell and google hub and speakers

I switched for casting reasons, I've an android tv

So I never mixed and matched cameras and screens

How are people finding using a mix of things.
    Has anyone got a ring door bell casting to a google hub or a chromecast? Without using some bringing casting software

Or any type of mix?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Hi.

Have a ring doorbell and noticed today great Halloween tones but they look like they are only for the hallway chime unit.

Is there a way to enable custom chimes to the doorbell itself so visitors can hear it as opposed to the default ring when they press the doorbell?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

With the wifi on these door bells do you have to manually reconnect them if you need to re-boot the modem/signal drops out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Muahahaha wrote: »
    With the wifi on these door bells do you have to manually reconnect them if you need to re-boot the modem/signal drops out?

Nope; at least not on the Ring doorbells.

Muahahaha wrote:
    As above both Nest and Ring reconnect

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I posted a standalone thread but just noticed this megathread now - maybe someone can help.
    Just wondering if someone can offer some assistance.

Had an electrician over to rewire my existing doorbell to a Ring VD Pro.

He's wired it up and popped in the transformer. It works with the Chime that came with it - this rings fine.

But it's not ringing my main doorbell. I have turned on "Ring my in-home doorbell" and have tested both digital and mechanical (as not certain which we have) but neither work.

Any suggestions?

Edit: This is the transformer used. It's been wired to ports 1 and 4.

eu_24VAC_transformer.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I would be getting the electrician back to finish the job. He shouldn't have left without it working. The whole point of the pro is to use the existing setup without the chime.

You need to look at the bell box, and follow the instructions. Sound likes this wasn't done. Most likely its mechanical, and the app should be set to mechanical and toggle slider also switched to on.

1Pro_1RVD_to_1Chime_1Trans.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Klopp

Anyone here tried one of the power adapters you can get on Amazon know if it works well with the Ring Doorbell Pro?

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

sharkman wrote: »

Does this need a transformer if attaching it to an existing door bell?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭krazyklown

I got one of these a couple of months ago and just hooked it straight into the cables that were already there for the existing doorbell. I vaguely recall some blurb about requiring a transformer or something in some cases but didn't apply to my situation AFAIK. Really easy to install in my case I have to say.
    limnam wrote: »
    Does this need a transformer if attaching it to an existing door bell?

Most doorbells have a transformer already

But you need 16 to 24V ones for the units to operate correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blink44

Is it possible to get the ring pro working with my normal doorbell chime? I don’t see those wireless plug in chimes being loud enough to hear around the house

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

cracking deal on ring pro, chime and echo show 5 for £112 in currys UK works out £38 cheaper than amazons current deal
    - https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ring-pro-with-chime-and-free-echo-show-5-3343476

I checked and it's not on currys ie at the moment and from past form amazon may price match against currys over the next few days.

blink44 wrote:
    Is it possible to get the ring pro working with my normal doorbell chime? I don’t see those wireless plug in chimes being loud enough to hear around the house

Depending on your current set up yes

The ring doorbell is also just a regular door push, unlike the nest hello

It's a like for like replacement for a standard bellpush

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blink44

Stoner wrote: »
    Depending on your current set up yes

The ring doorbell is also just a regular door push, unlike the nest hello

It's a like for like replacement for a standard bellpush

Everything iv read about the ring pro suggests you have to bypass your existing doorbell chime and use only the wireless chimes. Can you explain how this is done?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

blink44 wrote: »
    Everything iv read about the ring pro suggests you have to bypass your existing doorbell chime and use only the wireless chimes. Can you explain how this is done?

Post below shows how its wired.

Then in the app as part of the setup, you select mechanical as the option.
    You can also have the Chime to ring also if you wish.
    • Mechanical only
    • Chime only
    • Mechanical and chime option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Ring bought Mr Beams and now are selling lights that look very similar that were 2 for 12 pounds on amazon. They now sell almost similar ones that connect to a bridge that basically say the light turned on or off back to the base and sell them for 25 euro.

Mr beams are great lights but Ring are taking the piss.

Mr beams https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mr-Beams-Wireless-80-Lumens-Detection/dp/B00OYHSP8Y/ref=sr_1_40?keywords=mr+beams&qid=1574803962&sr=8-40

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beams-MB576-Battery-Powered-Sensing/dp/B00SSBJERS/ref=sr_1_43?keywords=mr+beams&qid=1574803962&sr=8-43

Ring https://shop.ring.com/pages/smart-lighting

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭mckildare

Hi all,

Keen to get a camera doorbell during black friday deals, Ring Pro looking the likely choice at the £149 offer on Amazon. Nest Hello now on offer also for 199 Euro. Doesn't seem to be way better to justify getting it though. Anyone think otherwise?

The only reason I haven't clicked buy yet for the Pro is from the (old) Reddit thread about the internal battery eventually packing it in around the year mark which is quite worrying. Seems to be in the US though and maybe fixed already by Ring. Anyone seen this or can put my mind at ease that it's not an issue?

Now fingers crossed that Amazon have matched the Currys deal in the morning and I'm set :) Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭THE ALM

mckildare wrote: »
    Hi all,

Keen to get a camera doorbell during black friday deals, Ring Pro looking the likely choice at the £149 offer on Amazon. Nest Hello now on offer also for 199 Euro. Doesn't seem to be way better to justify getting it though. Anyone think otherwise?

The only reason I haven't clicked buy yet for the Pro is from the (old) Reddit thread about the internal battery eventually packing it in around the year mark which is quite worrying. Seems to be in the US though and maybe fixed already by Ring. Anyone seen this or can put my mind at ease that it's not an issue?

Now fingers crossed that Amazon have matched the Currys deal in the morning and I'm set :) Thanks!

Screwfix.ie have the Ring Pro with chime at €175

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

mckildare wrote: »
    Hi all,

They won't. That was a complete glitch. Expect a lot of cancelled orders!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

I just setup the Ring Pro at the weekend with internal chime and have it connected to the Echo show 5 as well (Amazone Deal). I have a fairly new model Sony TV as well. Anyone know if it's possible to bring the Ring feed up on the TV. I read that this has been released as an option in the US but not here. Any figured a way to get it working?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I just setup the Ring Pro at the weekend with internal chime and have it connected to the Echo show 5 as well (Amazone Deal). I have a fairly new model Sony TV as well. Anyone know if it's possible to bring the Ring feed up on the TV. I read that this has been released as an option in the US but not here. Any figured a way to get it working?

You could try sideload the ring app, I've done that with a few apps on my Sony tv. It will probably look like crap though

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

Gets a mention in this article, worth a read imo:

‘Short window’ to stop AI taking control of society, warns ex-Google employee (Irish Times)
    Amazon Ring is a surveillance AI video camera and doorbell system designed so people can have 24/7 footage of their homes and neighbourhoods. This sounds all above board, but Amazon has begun partnering with over 400 police departments in the US that has, explained Whittaker, resulted in police recommending residents to buy an Amazon Ring for their house.

“They’ve basically turned cops into door-to-door Amazon salesmen,” she says.

“It sounds funny, but it’s horrible, right? Amazon gets ongoing access to videos like those from Ring so they can continue to train their AI systems – this is really valuable for them. Police get access to a portal of Ring videos that they can use whenever they want, no subpoena required. So, they’re effectively creating a privatised surveillance system of homes across the US.”

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

So, I've read through the thread and just want confirmation that if I change the trafo pictured below to a 24v version, my ring doorbell 2 will charge and I won't have to charge it every couple of weeks? Is it as simple as that, or have I missed something?
    499169.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    So, I've read through the thread and just want confirmation that if I change the trafo pictured below to a 24v version, my ring doorbell 2 will charge and I won't have to charge it every couple of weeks? Is it as simple as that, or have I missed something?
    499169.jpg

Would like to know the above also.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

Would like to know the above also.
    Thanks

That's correct. If you buy the ring pro, theres a transformer included in the box. Some homes (like ours) already had a transformer that was capable of outputting 8v, 12v, 16v or 24v depending on where the cable was connected.

Advertisement