Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Taeholic wrote: »
    Hi, I've tried both simultaneously and separately with very little impact. Although I should say I was just over the benchmark of being diabetic. At the time I was managing my diabetes through diet and exercise. I'm now on insulin, honeymoon is over but exercise and water intake are crucial for me managing my sugars. Good luck ðŸ‘

Cheers, Jesus it really is an uphill battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Taeholic

not yet wrote: »
    Cheers, Jesus it really is an uphill battle.

You still have time to turn it around. Give the tablets a real try, they might work for you. Just take it one day at a time

You still have time to turn it around. Give the tablets a real try, they might work for you. Just take it one day at a time

Tried most things at this point, 2 BG readings last year showed 7ish, doc said basically I was diabetic. Went low carb, seemed to manage it, tried cinnamon, funagreek etc, Not huge changes. Maybe as you said, stick with this for a month at least. Had carbs and dessert on sat night and read 9.7 highest its been.

Tried most things at this point, 2 BG readings last year showed 7ish, doc said basically I was diabetic. Went low carb, seemed to manage it, tried cinnamon, funagreek etc, Not huge changes. Maybe as you said, stick with this for a month at least. Had carbs and dessert on sat night and read 9.7 highest its been.

I was you 18 months ago, good times lol I went from no medication to long acting insulin and now fast acting insulin too. Its a slippery slope but that is my personal experience.
    The good news is everyone is different and our bodies react differently. You sound proactive, keep trying. There is a honeymoon period with diabetes where diet and exercise are enough. I did low carb too and it worked but unfortunately for me there was a time limit. I've found fantastic information on this diabetes forum

Click the following link to join Diabetes Forum:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum

I was you 18 months ago, good times lol I went from no medication to long acting insulin and now fast acting insulin too. Its a slippery slope but that is my personal experience.
    The good news is everyone is different and our bodies react differently. You sound proactive, keep trying. There is a honeymoon period with diabetes where diet and exercise are enough. I did low carb too and it worked but unfortunately for me there was a time limit. I've found fantastic information on this diabetes forum

Click the following link to join Diabetes Forum:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum

Really reluctant to go on meds, but at 55 it's looking a more and more likely, what difference did the meds make to your like both positive and negative.

• Advertisement

Really reluctant to go on meds, but at 55 it's looking a more and more likely, what difference did the meds make to your like both positive and negative.

I was very reluctant too. Eventually I tried several types of tablets first but none of them agreed with me and my numbers kept climbing out of the blue from 7s to 10 plus even 10g carbs would send me through the roof. I started on solostar long acting insulin a year ago which again worked for a time. Then I got a very bad infection and had to start Novorapid fast acting insulin.

There is no quick fix in my experience but the Novorapid has really improved my energy levels, brain fog, feeling like myself again. Yes its pretty annoying injecting but I feel far better because of it. It takes time to adjust and its a pain bringing insulin everywhere along with hypo drink shots but I was out of options and I feel better. You get used to it.

Keep a good record of your numbers, exercise, stay hydrated and manage your diet. Tablets might be enough for you, they work for so many others. Make sure you attend your diabetes clinic appointments too

I was very reluctant too. Eventually I tried several types of tablets first but none of them agreed with me and my numbers kept climbing out of the blue from 7s to 10 plus even 10g carbs would send me through the roof. I started on solostar long acting insulin a year ago which again worked for a time. Then I got a very bad infection and had to start Novorapid fast acting insulin.

There is no quick fix in my experience but the Novorapid has really improved my energy levels, brain fog, feeling like myself again. Yes its pretty annoying injecting but I feel far better because of it. It takes time to adjust and its a pain bringing insulin everywhere along with hypo drink shots but I was out of options and I feel better. You get used to it.

Keep a good record of your numbers, exercise, stay hydrated and manage your diet. Tablets might be enough for you, they work for so many others. Make sure you attend your diabetes clinic appointments too

All I can say is thank you, that is about the clearest insight into where I'm at that I've read.

Take care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭banie01

@not yet.

The meds particularly the orals really can and do, do a great job in improving the numbers.
    Usually through either improving your own insulin response or by increasing glucose elimination via the kidneys.

There are other meds with other mods of action, your GP/Endo/Diabetes nurse are best placed to advise.

The injectables are quite good too.
    I was on Victoza for a number of years, gave me great control but a resurgence in a side effect meant it wasn't for me.

I've since moved to a long lasting insulin, but whilst that does offer great control, it does make my own weight control quite hard.

I've also managed @18months off insulin after undertaking a very strict calorie regime for 8 weeks.
    I posted updates at the time on thread, still took oral meds and managed really good glycemic control until a separate health issue wiped out my ability to maintain the gains.

Long story short: The meds and medical review will do you wonders.

All I can say is thank you, that is about the clearest insight into where I'm at that I've read.

Take care.

No problem. You know your own body better than anyone but attending the clinic will only help and support you on your journey.
    Just take it one day at a time. Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

Did anybody hear about this proposed new development, for digital watches that can monitor your glucose levels, could be a gamechanger I think:

https://9to5google.com/2021/01/25/samsung-smartwatch-blood-sugar-report/#:~:text=A%20report%20from%20ETNews%20claims,way%20that%20information%20is%20gathered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

banjobongo wrote: »
    Did anybody hear about this proposed new development, for digital watches that can monitor your glucose levels, could be a gamechanger I think:

https://9to5google.com/2021/01/25/samsung-smartwatch-blood-sugar-report/#:~:text=A%20report%20from%20ETNews%20claims,way%20that%20information%20is%20gathered.

There have been rumours about this for years now. After a quick google I have a post on a relatively reliable tech blog from 2017 talking about it:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/25/15685148/apple-watch-glucose-tracker-blood-sugar-monitoring-diabetes

And I'm almost certain this has been coming up before every apple watch release for the last few years. Obviously I hope that this rumour is better founded this time around, as it would be an amazing bit of tech. I'd consider switching to apple for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Xofpod

There have been rumours about this for years now. After a quick google I have a post on a relatively reliable tech blog from 2017 talking about it:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/25/15685148/apple-watch-glucose-tracker-blood-sugar-monitoring-diabetes

And I'm almost certain this has been coming up before every apple watch release for the last few years. Obviously I hope that this rumour is better founded this time around, as it would be an amazing bit of tech. I'd consider switching to apple for the first time.

Would be great to have the data feed of a CGM but based on blood readings rather than interstitial fluid. Absolute no-brainer for me if the technology worked and could be stood over by regulators.

But the article - it is expected to make a great contribution in assisting those with diabetes and normal people with managing their health.. It's tough being one of the mutant underclass....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What are your thoughts on the One Touch VerioReflect Glucose monitor?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I wouldn't expect the BG readings in a smart watch to be anything more than a mere curiosity type feature. Like having a heart rate reading on your watch is nice, but no medic treating you in hospital is going to be monitoring your watch to check your heart rate rather than an actual medical device sat next to them, or using their fingers to check your pulse.

Can't see a watch doing anything more that showing a very general reading of "you've eaten too much cake today" or "time for more cake". Not going to be live readings just from a watch that any of us would be able to make use of without some other implant or device linked to it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Gael23 wrote: »
    What are your thoughts on the One Touch VerioReflect Glucose monitor?
    If its like the other One Touchs, I'd give it a miss until it's established whether it is actually accurate or not.
    robinph wrote: »
    I wouldn't expect the BG readings in a smart watch to be anything more than a mere curiosity type feature. Like having a heart rate reading on your watch is nice, but no medic treating you in hospital is going to be monitoring your watch to check your heart rate rather than an actual medical device sat next to them, or using their fingers to check your pulse.

Can't see a watch doing anything more that showing a very general reading of "you've eaten too much cake today" or "time for more cake". Not going to be live readings just from a watch that any of us would be able to make use of without some other implant or device linked to it.
    Same here, HR on my watch gives a ball park figure of whether it is high or low but its not accurate by any stretch of the imagination, CGM transmitting to a watch is ideal. Had it from my phone but i had to connect my meter to the phone and it was just awkward. Hopefully my next transmitter will be the newer Dexcom as apparently that will transmit straight to my watch and my bike computer on my commute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

CramCycle wrote: »
    If its like the other One Touchs, I'd give it a miss until it's established whether it is actually accurate or not.
    e.

It’s just the one the hospital gave

They get them free from reps, the old one has a rep of reading slightly too high, which is great if you are trying to get your HbA1c down but not great if you care about accuracy or your control is already half decent. I'd ring up and ask do they have any others lying around if you want a different one.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭davork

Must admit I'm a little skeptical too - however the SO2 readings on my Apple watch 6 are in line with my finger reader (I also have sleep apnea), so we may be surprised yet

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭davork

Personally after my experience of the trice damm thing reading high, I'd ask them for another.

The one I ended up with had a bluetooth link, so I could sync it with it's own app and also apple health - but the accuracy.. I complained to onetouch and was told that they were allowed to be up to *** 30% *** out

So my morning reading was 9.7 mmol/L on the OneTouch. On the other *two* meters (one is my RIP father's) I'm seeing 6.2.

Must remember that next time I submit things that are incorrect, I can say if it's alright for a medical device, must be alright for everyone else (only a small) :/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

davork wrote: »
    Must admit I'm a little skeptical too - however the SO2 readings on my Apple watch 6 are in line with my finger reader (I also have sleep apnea), so we may be surprised yet

It's the speed of change that I'm doubtful the optical sensor would be able to pick up. Would potentially be OK for figuring out an average over an hour or day for the general population. Would be a long way from being rated as a replacement for blood or current CGM methods of measuring.

Even the Libre developed by a medical company with direct interest in providing devices directly for diabetics and approved for use for insulin dosing, wasn't approved for use during driving in the UK until it was out for several years, and even then still requires a blood test in certain circumstances.

Apple and Samsung watches are not going to replace blood tests for insulin dosing for a loooong time yet, even if the tech they have come up with can respond quickly and reliably enough.

• Advertisement

davork wrote: »
    Personally after my experience of the trice damm thing reading high, I'd ask them for another.

The one I ended up with had a bluetooth link, so I could sync it with it's own app and also apple health - but the accuracy.. I complained to onetouch and was told that they were allowed to be up to *** 30% *** out

So my morning reading was 9.7 mmol/L on the OneTouch. On the other *two* meters (one is my RIP father's) I'm seeing 6.2.

Must remember that next time I submit things that are incorrect, I can say if it's alright for a medical device, must be alright for everyone else (only a small) :/

I have a Onetouch verio and I persist with it because the connectivity is quite handy, it saves me having to lug a diary to my review appts ;)
    Theres also the added benefit of my HbA1c always being lower than the predicted "comparator" in the app.

I am not reliant upon its readings for insulin dosing however, and if I was?
    I'd be swapping it ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭sylvanb

Looking for some advice here, received an e-mail from hospital saying that my son's pump is out of warranty soon. The options are the Medtronic 640G or the Medtronic 780G which is due later this year.

He currently has a Minimed Paradigm Veo - 754. He uses the Freestyle Libre rather than the Contour link. If we opt for the 780G , they will just extend the warranty on the Veo until it's available.

As I understand the 780G will require a enlite sensor which last for 6 days as opposed to the Libre which is 14 days - he is used to the Libre at this stage so moving from changing a sensor every 6 days is not something he is happy about.

Any thoughts on what would the best option would be welcome.

Thanks

A documentary about a Radio 1xtra DJ (nope I'd not heard of the station or the DJ either) who for some reason decided to have a go at running an ultra marathon last December with only a months training. Now that is pretty daft plan... but then he gets diagnosed with Type 1:

Interesting to see him go through the diagnosis and the emotions hitting him and how that effects his plans. Hopefully we get part two of the documentary in December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

sylvanb wrote: »
    Looking for some advice here, received an e-mail from hospital saying that my son's pump is out of warranty soon. The options are the Medtronic 640G or the Medtronic 780G which is due later this year.

He currently has a Minimed Paradigm Veo - 754. He uses the Freestyle Libre rather than the Contour link. If we opt for the 780G , they will just extend the warranty on the Veo until it's available.

As I understand the 780G will require a enlite sensor which last for 6 days as opposed to the Libre which is 14 days - he is used to the Libre at this stage so moving from changing a sensor every 6 days is not something he is happy about.

Any thoughts on what would the best option would be welcome.

Thanks

Hands down go with the 780g. The guardian sensor lasts 7 days, but the functionality with the pump is absolutely worth it. The guardian sensor is way better than the Libre as well.

I have the 670g and honestly it keeps me in range 90% of the time with little or no interaction. The 780g adds more functionality to keep you in range too. There are new features to it as well that are improvements on the 670g. So when my pump is out of warranty next year I’ll update to it.

Has anyone tried the Freestyle Libre free trial offer?
    I signed up for it recently and got the voucher code, went through the checkout process but it seems to have failed out at the payment itself and my order is showing as payment pending?

Anyone encountered similar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

banie01 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the Freestyle Libre free trial offer?
    I signed up for it recently and got the voucher code, went through the checkout process but it seems to have failed out at the payment itself and my order is showing as payment pending?

Anyone encountered similar?

I got the free trial. Had no problems, sensor is long gone! :)

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I got the free trial. Had no problems, sensor is long gone! :)

My free libre sensor arrived this morning, just applied it now and here's to 14 days data to mull over when I'm through.

If it's as useful in managing my BG as I hope?
    I'll probably end up buying it monthly and then burning the ear off my Endo team until they get sick of me and write a script ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Donutz

banie01 wrote:
    If it's as useful in managing my BG as I hope? I'll probably end up buying it monthly and then burning the ear off my Endo team until they get sick of me and write a script

I find them extremely useful and they definately have helped me reduce my hba1c by quite a bit. You get a better understanding of how your sugar levels react to different foods.

The trend arrows are also extremely handy.

Not sure if a script from the endo will cover them under the LTI scheme though. If that was the case, I'd imagine they would be prescribing them for all diabetics.

[quote="Donutz;116266281"
    Not sure if a script from the endo will cover them under the LTI scheme though. If that was the case, I'd imagine they would be prescribing them for all diabetics.[/quote]

The Endo will be primed with stories of control difficulty and if necessary hypo insensitivity ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,781 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The Endo will be primed with stories of control difficulty and if necessary hypo insensitivity ;)

Linked to this but a query that may have been answered here.

I got diagnosed with Type 1 last April or so.
    I informed my car insurer and NDLS not long after.

My insurance is due for renewal shortly (I've been with the same company broker now for nearly a decade I'd say, and the main reason is they will match or better any other renewal price I've gotten elsewhere.

So, will this add a bit/lot to my car insurance cover? And what linkage, if any, does insurance cover have to Hypo insensitivity or otherwise?
    I have good control, could do with losing some weight though, and do not suffer from hppo insensitivity.

Will the insurance company require a medical and/or doctors report?
    What kind increase MIGHT I be looking at.

This has been a great thread so thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Diabetes Ireland did a lot of working with insurance companies a few years back so there shouldn’t be any loading on your policy. More info on driving and diabetes cane be found here - https://www.diabetes.ie/living-with-diabetes/living-type-1/driving-type-1-diabetes/

24hrs in with freestyle libre and I'm so happy with it I've already purchased more sensors.

I'm using the libre app and GLIMP, I think I prefer the functionality of GLIMP at the moment.
    That said the UI of the libre app is far the more visually appealing.

I must take a look into how to extend the sensor life.
    I know it was possible with GLIMP and the older version 10day sensors, I've not yet researched if it's possible to extend the 14day ones?
    But fingers crossed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,781 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Diabetes Ireland did a lot of working with insurance companies a few years back so there shouldn’t be any loading on your policy. More info on driving and diabetes cane be found here - https://www.diabetes.ie/living-with-diabetes/living-type-1/driving-type-1-diabetes/

Cheers, I was aware of that alright.

I suppose the main thing I am concerned about is whether hypo insenstivity will have an adverse effect on your insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 navono

24hrs in with freestyle libre and I'm so happy with it I've already purchased more sensors.

I'm using the libre app and GLIMP, I think I prefer the functionality of GLIMP at the moment.
    That said the UI of the libre app is far the more visually appealing.

I must take a look into how to extend the sensor life.
    I know it was possible with GLIMP and the older version 10day sensors, I've not yet researched if it's possible to extend the 14day ones?
    But fingers crossed!

Hi Banie,

I am also using the freestyle libre and I wasn't aware of any way of extending the sensor life, if you figure out how to do this please post it! Also in relation to your post about getting it covered by LTI, its only covered up to the age of 21 in certain circumstances. I know some endocrinologists have been pushing for that to be changed and to cover all ages but I recently had a conversation with my endocrinologist in the rotunda as she favors them but I cant afford them sometimes, which I explained to her and she again confirmed that they aren't covered past a certain age. If they were covered she would have written me a rx. But if you do manage to get it covered please post how you managed it or could you even pm me. I would appreciate it.

navono wrote: »
    Hi Banie,

I am also using the freestyle libre and I wasn't aware of any way of extending the sensor life, if you figure out how to do this please post it! Also in relation to your post about getting it covered by LTI, its only covered up to the age of 21 in certain circumstances. I know some endocrinologists have been pushing for that to be changed and to cover all ages but I recently had a conversation with my endocrinologist in the rotunda as she favors them but I cant afford them sometimes, which I explained to her and she again confirmed that they aren't covered past a certain age. If they were covered she would have written me a rx. But if you do manage to get it covered please post how you managed it or could you even pm me. I would appreciate it.

I will let you know if I find anything.
    I know the older version is unencrypted and there is plenty of info out there regarding extending the old 10 day sensors out to 28 (with potential accuracy issues).

The newer type 2 sensor is encrypted and seems to be set to a 14 day cycle on activation that can't be reset or extended.
    But I am researching it and this thread will be the 1st to know if/when I find out how.

On the Rx, until the HSE change the prescription criteria the only way I could see myself being allowed it, would be to let control go and risk actual harm to myself and try to spin a tale of becoming brittle.

In reality it's not a risk I'd take and is hyperbolic on my part.
    Perhaps a concerted push on our TDs and public reps to put pressure on for it to be available across the board may bear fruit but diabetes Ireland have been pushing for it for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Donutz

Perhaps a concerted push on our TDs and public reps to put pressure on for it to be available across the board may bear fruit but diabetes Ireland have been pushing for it for years.[/quote]

I had a conversation with a freestyle rep about this in December 2019. She reckoned that they would have been on the LTI for everybody only for the overspend on the national children's hospital. Having said that, she still expected it to become available by the 3rd quarter of 2020. I guess that covid put an end to that.

Still though, it's good to see that it's being considered. I actually think the HSE would save money in the long run with the reduction in test strips.

Donutz wrote: »
    Still though, it's good to see that it's being considered. I actually think the HSE would save money in the long run with the reduction in test strips.

If you look at the reduction in HbA1c and then extrapolate the lowering of costs in later life on the HSE its a no brainer, both from a reduced cost and quality of life perspective. Regrettably, governments work on far shorter cycles which is why many nice things are not allowed for a range of things. Imagine if they went to Dexcom, Freestyle and Medtronic and said right, every type 1 in the country gets a CGM, here is the price to get in the door, and the lowest price wins. A back of the envelope calculation, your looking at 60000 sales per month. To become the sole player in the market for 4 years with guaranteed sales, hard to pass up.

Donutz wrote: »
    Perhaps a concerted push on our TDs and public reps to put pressure on for it to be available across the board may bear fruit but diabetes Ireland have been pushing for it for years.

I had a conversation with a freestyle rep about this in December 2019. She reckoned that they would have been on the LTI for everybody only for the overspend on the national children's hospital. Having said that, she still expected it to become available by the 3rd quarter of 2020. I guess that covid put an end to that.

Still though, it's good to see that it's being considered. I actually think the HSE would save money in the long run with the reduction in test strips.[/quote]

There is a major caveat though; it doesn't read accurately at the high or lower end of the scale, my libre will tell me me I am low when I am not and I actually end up using more test strips to check it, but its very beneficial to see trends. I am coming up to my 7th month of pregnancy and I would never have gotten my a1c down without it. The endo in the rotunda was very happy with my levels when I became pregnant but I had been using the libre for over a year to get there. I think its hard to justify/prioritise covering it on lti though due to the fact that it isnt as accurate as blood glucose monitors. Hse will do a cost benefit analysis and unless there is empirical evidence that it actually would reduce spending on secondary conditions caused by diabetes and /or other diabetes suplies they probably won't cover it for everyone.

I will let you know if I find anything.
    I know the older version is unencrypted and there is plenty of info out there regarding extending the old 10 day sensors out to 28 (with potential accuracy issues).

The newer type 2 sensor is encrypted and seems to be set to a 14 day cycle on activation that can't be reset or extended.
    But I am researching it and this thread will be the 1st to know if/when I find out how.

On the Rx, until the HSE change the prescription criteria the only way I could see myself being allowed it, would be to let control go and risk actual harm to myself and try to spin a tale of becoming brittle.

In reality it's not a risk I'd take and is hyperbolic on my part.

Ye It's not worth risking your health, I know we all get frustrated and say /post things tongue in cheek but in reality it is just a way to vent and gain insight into other people's situations to gain support.

I see you work/study in the legal arena, and I wonder if you could see the fact that not all people are covered for the cgms as discrimination and a human rights violation? I am probably reaching a bit here, but just curious for your opinion

The mentions of 10 day Libre sensors that you'll see online were exclusive to the US market. They never existed anywhere else. Also any extending of the life of the sensors seems to be fairly flakey from everything I've seen. Using Glimp might get you an extra 12 hours, but then the data tends to just loop around and I've not seen anything convincing enough for me to be bothered going through the steps necessary to do the hacking to extend them further. Although I do admittedly currently get my sensors "free" from the NHS which may have a bearing on my motivation for that.

The use of 3rd party sensors to link the Libre to your phone/ smart watch are worth the effort though and make another huge benefit in how useful they are. Although those hacks may become obsolete shortly as the Libre 2 becomes more available and slightly different hacks are then needed to make the Libre an equivalent of a CGM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

The mentions of 10 day Libre sensors that you'll see online were exclusive to the US market. They never existed anywhere else. Also any extending of the life of the sensors seems to be fairly flakey from everything I've seen. Using Glimp might get you an extra 12 hours, but then the data tends to just loop around and I've not seen anything convincing enough for me to be bothered going through the steps necessary to do the hacking to extend them further. Although I do admittedly currently get my sensors "free" from the NHS which may have a bearing on my motivation for that.

The use of 3rd party sensors to link the Libre to your phone/ smart watch are worth the effort though and make another huge benefit in how useful they are. Although those hacks may become obsolete shortly as the Libre 2 becomes more available and slightly different hacks are then needed to make the Libre an equivalent of a CGM.

Hi Robin,

Do you need to be carrying your phone for the linking of data to the likes of a Garmin watch? Im guessing the data routes to your watch via the phone/app?

I am not a fan of carrying phone while running, but I guess could adapt....eventually.

The mentions of 10 day Libre sensors that you'll see online were exclusive to the US market. They never existed anywhere else. Also any extending of the life of the sensors seems to be fairly flakey from everything I've seen. Using Glimp might get you an extra 12 hours, but then the data tends to just loop around and I've not seen anything convincing enough for me to be bothered going through the steps necessary to do the hacking to extend them further. Although I do admittedly currently get my sensors "free" from the NHS which may have a bearing on my motivation for that

Thanks for the info Rob.
    It really does seem far, far simpler to just hand the cash over for the foreseeable.
    I am delighted with the Libre, its given me far more confidence regarding both my basal dose and my ongoing management.
    Even if I do need to pay for it, it will turn out to money well spent.

I tend not to test often, usually in the morning to see if I need to adjust my basal and leave it at that.

I know people will point to the cost savings that libre and actual CGM can bring.
    Usually that CBA takes in the costs of test strips and lancets, I've not seen any mention in a reduction on insulin costs?
    I recently had to go back on to my basal insulin, and tbh the combo of lockdown and insulin related weight gain have me a bit morose.

Moving to the freestyle libre and by being a bit more aggressive with my control strategy I'd hope to at least significantly drop and if possible nix my insulin need again for a while!
    At least until my pancreas really does give up the ghost! :)

Hi Robin,

Do you need to be carrying your phone for the linking of data to the likes of a Garmin watch? Im guessing the data routes to your watch via the phone/app?

I am not a fan of carrying phone while running, but I guess could adapt....eventually.

Yes, the setup I have needs me to carry my phone in order to have everything linked up. It's not been an issue though as having the phone with me means that people can see exactly where I am and when I'll be due back as I rarely know how long or far I'm going when leaving the front door, also run the podcasts from the phone.

My current setup is:
    Libre -> Miao Miao 2 stuck on the Libre -> connected via Bluetooth to the phone -> running xDrip+ app on the phone -> links to Android APS app on the phone which then sends me suggestions for changing pump settings during the run -> which then links with Nightscout website which I give access to the hospital for during my reviews. Nightscout also links some of the data it gets from AndroidAPS regarding insulin and carb intake back to xDrip.

xDrip then also provides the link to:
    a MiBand5 watch to show BG levels live (although that part of the setup has currently broken on me)
    a Garmin watch face CGM TIR which also shows live BG data on the watch during normal operation (but not for during activity) and I'm about to start using instead of the MiBand5
    a Garmin Widget and data fields for use during activity xDrip+ Widget which give you the option of showing BG, glucose, carbs, insulin on board levels along side your other activity stats such as heart rate and pace etc.

I also have an automated action created on the phone so that I can just press that whilst running and it adds the glucose for any gels that I've taken on the run to my AndroidAPS app as it needs to know all that I've eaten to be able to give accurate suggestions for changes to pump settings.

I had a similar setup with my pump, where mine went:

Sensor --> Pump--> Contour Next meter --> Phone (via OTG USB cable) --> website/storage --> Garmin app --> Phone --> Garmin Watch

Alas the website was bought and I never followed up to do an alternative so if anyone has one it would be appreciated. My other big issue was the USB oTG cable put such a strain on the USB port on my phone that its now a bit sketchy charging, but I am unsure if this was actually th OTG cable and me moving about or something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

I have managed to used the libre sensor for 28 days (2 reactivations post expiry) after which either the battery died or the filament just gets killed by body tissues !

My Dad (82) long term type two went on keto at the start of the year, His bloods would always be in the high 7s, after 4 weeks had them down to mid 6s, today he is 5.6 as a bonus he has lost 9kgs.

To say he is happy is an understatement, he cannot believe he can have fat and still lose weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

My Dad (82) long term type two went on keto at the start of the year, His bloods would always be in the high 7s, after 4 weeks had them down to mid 6s, today he is 5.6 as a bonus he has lost 9kgs.

To say he is happy is an understatement, he cannot believe he can have fat and still lose weight.

Is he doing this under the care of a doctor or consultant? Keytones can be dangerous if not monitored, just to make you aware. Great his blood glucose has improved.

imfml wrote: »
    Is he doing this under the care of a doctor or consultant? Keytones can be dangerous if not monitored, just to make you aware. Great his blood glucose has improved.

No he is not, He has stayed on the meds though, I'll mention that to him to say it to his GP next time, would hate to burst his bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Yes, the setup I have needs me to carry my phone in order to have everything linked up. It's not been an issue though as having the phone with me means that people can see exactly where I am and when I'll be due back as I rarely know how long or far I'm going when leaving the front door, also run the podcasts from the phone.

My current setup is:
    Libre -> Miao Miao 2 stuck on the Libre -> connected via Bluetooth to the phone -> running xDrip+ app on the phone -> links to Android APS app on the phone which then sends me suggestions for changing pump settings during the run -> which then links with Nightscout website which I give access to the hospital for during my reviews. Nightscout also links some of the data it gets from AndroidAPS regarding insulin and carb intake back to xDrip.

xDrip then also provides the link to:
    a MiBand5 watch to show BG levels live (although that part of the setup has currently broken on me)
    a Garmin watch face CGM TIR which also shows live BG data on the watch during normal operation (but not for during activity) and I'm about to start using instead of the MiBand5
    a Garmin Widget and data fields for use during activity xDrip+ Widget which give you the option of showing BG, glucose, carbs, insulin on board levels along side your other activity stats such as heart rate and pace etc.

I also have an automated action created on the phone so that I can just press that whilst running and it adds the glucose for any gels that I've taken on the run to my AndroidAPS app as it needs to know all that I've eaten to be able to give accurate suggestions for changes to pump settings.

Thanks Robin, that saves me a few searches.

Re the running. I follow a few type 1's on Strava. A few seem to chase the BG a lot during their runs (taking glucose on board or even insulin). Is this a dangerous technique? What do you do?

I tend to run around the same time each day (30 mins after breakfast) and I have my bolus and basal regime pretty well set up for that. I don't monitor my BG during my run. I would take a gel if I was doing a session or anything easy/long that's over 70 mins. I need to catch a low with carb intake within 30 mins of finishing run.

Do you think the ability to see the BG readings continuously may actually lead to overthinking and hampering a race performance?

Thanks Robin, that saves me a few searches.

Re the running. I follow a few type 1's on Strava. A few seem to chase the BG a lot during their runs (taking glucose on board or even insulin). Is this a dangerous technique? What do you do?

I tend to run around the same time each day (30 mins after breakfast) and I have my bolus and basal regime pretty well set up for that. I don't monitor my BG during my run. I would take a gel if I was doing a session or anything easy/long that's over 70 mins. I need to catch a low with carb intake within 30 mins of finishing run.

Do you think the ability to see the BG readings continuously may actually lead to overthinking and hampering a race performance?

When I was on MDI I wasn't testing during runs and there was not really any way to alter the basals on the fly so the only option was to try to guess the BG and hope for the best. After some "testing" which involved me getting into what was quite likely dodgy hypo situations, I figured that I could run for about an hour without needing to take on any gels, but if I was going for longer than that I'd need to have been taking on gels from half an hour in to keep BG to a level that I'd stay upright. That also tended to involve me starting with an elevated BG in the low teens.

It wasn't really a great tactic, but was the only thing that worked for me. I did reduce the basal dose, or completely miss it, from the day before when running a marathon, but never really got that system to something I was happy with and was just a muddle through.

When I then got a pump it added huge flexibility in that I could got for longer runs at shorter notice by just turning down the basal rate from an hour before hand. I was still taking on lots of gels though as there was no way to know what the BGs were doing during runs, so was definitely taking on too much glucose despite the pump being a massive leap forwards. With the Libre though, and then getting the live data onto my watch for during the run without needing to even take the phone out of my belt, that made things way better.

I would now only take on glucose when actually needed on a run, and have also changed basal settings during races. Only really on longer races though as I figure anything less than a half marathon by the time I've faffed around with the pump and my phone to make the changes, and then the time it takes for any change to kick in about 15-20 minutes later I'd be nearly at the finish anyway. I have done changes on the fly during longer races though and in my last "regular" race, pre covid, was doing that during a 20 mile event and won 1st place in the age category at the finish and a bottle of wine, so I don't think it did any harm. :)

Things are all a bit random though and doing exactly the same thing two weeks running, at the same time, eat the same things all day, start with similar BG, run the same route, at the same pace, in the same weather and one week I'd get in a 20 mile training run and take on zero carbs along the way, the other week I'd be downing gels like they were going out of fashion just to try to keep levels slightly above hypo and have run out of my extra emergency rations that would never be needed under any running circumstances.

I can see how having to much data could be a problem, but for me I can never have enough of it. I may not always do the most sensible things with that data, but its all good for me.

Edit: taking on a bolus of insulin during exercise is very dangerous and should be done with extreme caution.

• Advertisement
Advertisement