Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

jeffk wrote: »
    Caught some piece on today FM about Diabetes and they where on about the flu jab

Type 2 myself and this is news to me, should I get the jab?
    YES!!!

I got very bad flu the first spring after diagnosis and whatever symptoms you may get after the flu shot is a picnic compared to trying to control glucose levels and eating small amounts of food with huge fluctuations in readings.

I haven't missed a shot since but the effects do vary from year to year depending on your previous exposure to the particular strains the vaccine covers in a particular year according to my GP.

I would be prone to bad lows for 24-36 hours after the vaccine some years so do be extra careful when you get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭banjobongo

YES!!!

I got very bad flu the first spring after diagnosis and whatever symptoms you may get after the flu shot is a picnic compared to trying to control glucose levels and eating small amounts of food with huge fluctuations in readings.

I haven't missed a shot since but the effects do vary from year to year depending on your previous exposure to the particular strains the vaccine covers in a particular year according to my GP.

I would be prone to bad lows for 24-36 hours after the vaccine some years so do be extra careful when you get it.

I dont know if its a conincidence, but since getting TYpe ONe in June last year I have not had any colds/flu since then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭banjobongo

diabetes mellitus is type 2

Is diabetes mellitus not just a generic terms of any type of diabetes and therefore includes both Type one and type two?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,284 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

banjobongo wrote: »
    Is diabetes mellitus not just a generic terms of any type of diabetes and therefore includes both Type one and type two?

you're right. my mistake. the flu vaccine is recommended for both type 1 and type 2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetes_mellitus

"Type 1 DM results from the pancreas's failure to produce enough insulin. This form was previously referred to as "insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus" (IDDM) or "juvenile diabetes". The cause is unknown.[2]

Type 2 DM begins with insulin resistance, a condition in which cells fail to respond to insulin properly.[2] As the disease progresses a lack of insulin may also develop.[9] This form was previously referred to as "non insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus" (NIDDM) or "adult-onset diabetes". The most common cause is excessive body weight and not enough exercise.[2]

Gestational diabetes is the third main form and occurs when pregnant women without a previous history of diabetes develop high blood sugar levels.[2]"

In simple english the HSE should just say all diabetes

• Advertisement

Would i be wrong in saying I/people who are diagnosed with diabetes should be told things like this??

As I said only by chance I heard it on the radio and from some replies it can be fairly serious if I dont get it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

diabetes mellitus is type 2

nope, mellitus means like honey ( = sweet )

way back doctors used to taste urine samples to see if they were sweet

don't know how good they have it now :)

you could have diabetes insipidus , means without taste

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

banjobongo wrote:
    Hi Irishwolf. I live in Limerick, aged early 50s, I was diagnosed with Type 1 June last year. If you like we can meet up for a chat some time to share our experiences....I dont know anybody else in Limerick with Type one, apparently its unusual for adults to get TYpe one diabetes...

Hi, It would be great to meet - I'll send you a PM in the morning with contact info.

Not many adults diagnosed with T1D for sure, but as a previous post indicated it gives us free reign to act like juveniles :pac:

You're not wrong jeffk, but from what I can remember over the last few years there's usually a fairly blanket coverage radio ad mentioning the flu vaccine and the risk groups who should avail of it.

/edit - mods, would it be appropriate to throw up a sticky for the upcoming flu season to highlight the vaccine risk groups?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Irish Wolf wrote: »
    You're not wrong jeffk, but from what I can remember over the last few years there's usually a fairly blanket coverage radio ad mentioning the flu vaccine and the risk groups who should avail of it.

/edit - mods, would it be appropriate to throw up a sticky for the upcoming flu season to highlight the vaccine risk groups?

Good call! I'll throw up a thread when I'm on desktop in the morning.

• Advertisement

gctest50 wrote:
    nope, mellitus means like honey ( = sweet )

way back doctors used to taste urine samples to see if they were sweet

Honey wee, not honey bee.. though I guess they both have a certain sting in the tail..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I have been trying to get the GP surgery/pharmacy's to let me know when my husband and I can get the flu jab (both of us are in at risk groups including T1 diabetes for me), finally booked for next Tuesday. I did not get the flu jab one year several years ago and got a very bad dose of the flu, the jab is far easier...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Got the flu jab this evening. Better safe than sorry.

Weird day today, my libre is telling me I've been over 7 all day since my morning coffee even though I've only taken lunch.

I've seen it discussed here before, any update on the libre coming onto the LTI? First clinic visit there was an Abbott rep, thought she might know the status of it coming on to the LTI, but alas no, and no sign on the last visit to quiz them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

jeffk wrote: »
    Type 2 myself and this is news to me, should I get the jab?
    Yes, everyone who can get it, should get it, herd immunity at its finest.
    banjobongo wrote: »
    I dont know if its a conincidence, but since getting TYpe ONe in June last year I have not had any colds/flu since then!
    Not very scietific but you can guarantee you will get one now :pac:
    I've seen it discussed here before, any update on the libre coming onto the LTI? First clinic visit there was an Abbott rep, thought she might know the status of it coming on to the LTI, but alas no, and no sign on the last visit to quiz them.
    Looks like Dexcom got the HSE contract for CGM so it would be unlikely in the foreseeable future IMO, but would love to be wrong.

Have it booked in for Wednesday myself.

Went to book the local mccabes chemist and you'd think it was something that took hours to do. Two or three different times told no, then there was about 6 names in the book on one day I asked for 12 to be told 4 was the only time.

Rang my GP with a time, yes no problem see you then

I got the flu jab today in a pharmacy, had to book in advance but it was fine, got it done at lunch time, glad to have it done. My local GP Clinic only had times that did not suit :( I think that it depends on where you go to, the pharmacy that I went to could not have been nicer. I got it on a different arm to my libre.

CathyMoran wrote:
    I got the flu jab today in a pharmacy, had to book in advance but it was fine, got it done at lunch time, glad to have it done. My local GP Clinic only had times that did not suit I think that it depends on where you go to, the pharmacy that I went to could not have been nicer. I got it on a different arm to my libre.

Funny how it can be in reverse.
    Getting tablets is usually an effort, so not surprised the needle was much the same.

At least I'll know next year, I'll put a reminder in, so can book in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Got mine done in the pharmacy when I get my Metformin. Rang them on the day and they were able to fit me in on the way home from work. First time getting the jab, but was only diagnosed with type 2 this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Jolisa94

Got it done this week in my local pharmacy, had to make an appointment- but no issues otherwise.

They did it for free because i'm on the LTI, just had to give them the pps nr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Started in a new job on Monday and there are two other T1's in the office. It's great. :pac: We spent coffee break this morning sharing stories. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Jolisa94

That's great, it's good to have someone else who understands.

Worst hypo in a long while today, for no reason. I feel like someone crushed my skull with a sledgehammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

CramCycle wrote: »
    Worst hypo in a long while today, for no reason. I feel like someone crushed my skull with a sledgehammer.

Here's your sister. Three hypos today and I haven't had any in 4 weeks. I'm exhausted. :(

CramCycle wrote:
    Here's your sister. Three hypos today and I haven't had any in 4 weeks. I'm exhausted.

That sucks - hope you're both recovering well.

If you don't mind me asking, what do ye think triggered them? Too much insulin, overdoing exercise? What kind of levels do you drop to for your hypo awareness to kick in? What do ye use to recover?

Worst I've had so far was my introduction to "the pizza effect" a horrible, horrible evening. Ate all around me that evening, hadn't a clue why I was dropping and then, bang, I was almost up in the 20s an hour later. I tend to catch them when I get to around 3ish and carry those mini bags of skittles which (touch wood) so far seem to do the trick.

Sorry if these are too personal.

Worst I've had so far was my introduction to "the pizza effect" a horrible, horrible evening. Ate all around me that evening, hadn't a clue why I was dropping and then, bang, I was almost up in the 20s an hour later. I tend to catch them when I get to around 3ish and carry those mini bags of skittles which (touch wood) so far seem to do the trick.

I still have not managed to work out pizza and I have been a type 1 diabetic over 30 years...my poor husband had to give me GlucaGen earlier this week from eating Pizza...I will still eat pizza though...

If you don't mind me asking, what do ye think triggered them? Too much insulin, overdoing exercise? What kind of levels do you drop to for your hypo awareness to kick in? What do ye use to recover?
    Hypo awareness is excellent, I can tell when I am dropping below 4.5 and I can still function well below 3. Mine was caused by Stress and being super busy. I knew it was there but I just couldn't get to treating it (quite stupidly).
    I love pizza but just don't have it anymore, bloods are high for 24 hours, no matter how much insulin I take.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

tatoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Just a small update since my last posts.

Two weeks on Metformin now, and following dietary advice and I'm down from 120kg to 114kgs this morning.

I stay pretty fit mostly year round, but I've always hated jogging but I know from past experience that I lose most weight when I jog. So I cut back on the swimming and started a Couch to 5k' plan.

My medium term goal is a work 10k in October (An Costantoir 10k), and around the same time I compete in the Irish Judo Open (Masters) which I've won at +100kgs for the last three years, this year I'd like to come in under 100kgs (haven't done that since 2008).

I don't know what my GP has planned for me, I'm back with him in two weeks. Fingers crossed.

One more update from this one.

Well I took a few months off boards.ie and everything else which was causing me stress to concentrate on my health.

So much has happened.

My last HBA1C was 5.5. I've a pretty good grip on my diet now, my fasted bloods in the morning are rarely if ever over 5.5

I've also lost 30kgs weight!.

I've went really low carb, and cut out as much sugars as I could ~ ie went off the home drinking (and habit I'd slipped into), and now if I want a beer I'll drop down to the local and have a few (I'm not a big drinker so I'm usually satisfied with three or four beers).

I also downloaded a Coach to 5k app (Fitness22) and the weight flew off me, now I'm up over 10k jogs (longest has been 13.5km).

I had a plan for the Dublin City Marathon, but I compete in Judo and there's a Judo comp the week following the marathon which is more important for me.

Looking back I did have symptoms which I joked about, mostly "Jeeze I'm peeing like a race horse today", thats gone now.

I'm continuing to take 500mg Metformin a day, I'm 51yrs old and the Doc says because of my age and that my BG had started to go astray he'd rather I stayed on the meds and continue to control my weight.

Learning to read labels was a small learning curve, taking my bloods wasn't so bad but for some reason I found taking bloods from my left hand got very hard (regardless what I done I was only getting tiny droplets).. Luckily I didn't have a sweet tooth so I didn't have to give up chocolates, sweets, cakes etc.

Once again thanks for all the advice both here and via PM's on my initial diagnoses.

• Advertisement

Aldi merino arm warmers are a great way to hold your pump when connected to your arm.

Advertisement