Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Talking to a type 1 last night, I copped the Glucometer. Turns out her Mam is an ICU nurse across the water. Her Mam copped her Diabetes when she was young as she seen it alot. She was telling me that her Mam sees a death every week or two over there. All male, all in their late 20s , early 30s. I was shocked but suppose it could be missed easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Got very bad news I'm sad to say am waiting on an x-ray now Charcot has gotten extremely worse I don't know what to do next gonna take some time to think but not the news I wanted to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Sorry to hear that Robbungbandit!
    Try not to let it get you down, it's hard but you will bounce back!! Remember there will be better days!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Anyone here suffering from Gastroparesis?

I have serious bother with my stomach, I've had scopes done (too many), both ends, I've had a PH test done where they stick a tube up your nose and down into your stomach for 24hrs, loads. I have pre-existing issues with my stomach, that led me to believe I had a hiatus hernia. However, the surgeon is reluctant to do anything with me, as he feels it's Gastroparesis I have.

Basically, I get painfully bloated. A lot. When I do relieve some gas, the smell from the burbs is terrible. Really strong sulphur smelling. People think its actually a fart, but it's coming from my mouth. It's pretty embarrassing to say the least.

I was on a train once, and when the burbs come, there's no stifling them. Anyhow, some girls in the seat in front of me starting spraying perfume back over the seats at me.

When i was diagnosed with Diabetes, i had some neuropathy in my feet, legs etc, but this was not an evident issue. It came on later.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well I got my HbA1c back on Tuesday, and grand 6.7 the exact same as it was 6 months previously. Happy enough really! The interesting change after my consultant visit was a change in insulin for my pump. I've been pumping for 12 years and throughout that time I've been using Novorapid. But now I've been told to try FIASP, (faster acting insulin asparte) this is a much faster acting insulin which begins to affect your blood glucose after 2 minutes and peaks after an hour with a quick drop off. The benefit of this is to minimise spikes after eating carbohydrates and to quicken the drop of any high blood glucose.

I've been on the new insulin for less than 2 days at this point, but so far so good. I will have to make changes to my basals but I need time to figure them. But from my very brief time with the new insulin it does seem very quick so I'm excited to see what impact it has!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,487 ✭✭✭✭banie01

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Anyone here suffering from Gastroparesis?

I have serious bother with my stomach, I've had scopes done (too many), both ends, I've had a PH test done where they stick a tube up your nose and down into your stomach for 24hrs, loads. I have pre-existing issues with my stomach, that led me to believe I had a hiatus hernia. However, the surgeon is reluctant to do anything with me, as he feels it's Gastroparesis I have.

Basically, I get painfully bloated. A lot. When I do relieve some gas, the smell from the burbs is terrible. Really strong sulphur smelling. People think its actually a fart, but it's coming from my mouth. It's pretty embarrassing to say the least.

Are you on Victoza or bayetta by any chance?

Really interested to see how you get on with the FIASP Alan, let us know after a few weeks.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

CramCycle wrote: »
    Really interested to see how you get on with the FIASP Alan, let us know after a few weeks.

Yes I definitely will. Even my consultant wants me to follow up in a few weeks. As far as I know this has only very recently come onto the scene in Ireland, and was only released a year ago in other countries. It's something I had asked about before as I felt it would be one way to solve the slight highs that come after carbs. Ironing these out would be a huge benefit.

Yes I definitely will. Even my consultant wants me to follow up in a few weeks. As far as I know this has only very recently come onto the scene in Ireland, and was only released a year ago in other countries. It's something I had asked about before as I felt it would be one way to solve the slight highs that come after carbs. Ironing these out would be a huge benefit.

Same here, I have tried giving my dose earlier but I run the risk of getting distracted, so stick to only dosing at the time of eating. But sometimes, the high leaves me drained and borderline non functioning for work, to the point where I often don't eat anything with carbs until the evening nowadays. If I do, it is never more than 40g over the day as otherwise I am asleep or cranky.

banie01 wrote: »
    Are you on Victoza or bayetta by any chance?

No, neither of those

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

CramCycle wrote: »
    Same here, I have tried giving my dose earlier but I run the risk of getting distracted, so stick to only dosing at the time of eating. But sometimes, the high leaves me drained and borderline non functioning for work, to the point where I often don't eat anything with carbs until the evening nowadays. If I do, it is never more than 40g over the day as otherwise I am asleep or cranky.

I am the same with carbs these days, I usually skip breakfast, maybe even lunch or else just some kind of meat. I ty to keep the carbs to a minimum but when I do eat some high carb food like pasta or rice it can affect me for days.

I even have to bolus for non carb food, if I eat anything I have to take a minimum of 1.5 to 2 units. That is for things like salad, scrambled eggs, steak. No carb but will still shoot my blood up if I leave it uncorrected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

When i was diagnosed with Diabetes, i had some neuropathy in my feet, legs etc

You say you 'had' neuropathy, is it gone now?.

It drives me mad, feels like I'm wearing heavy socks all the time but worst of all is the cold. My feet feel like they're freezing all the time but when I touch them they're nice and warm, plus I've excellent circulation in them.

Sorry I can't comment on the smelly burps, must be awful.

You say you 'had' neuropathy, is it gone now?.

It drives me mad, feels like I'm wearing heavy socks all the time but worst of all is the cold. My feet feel like they're freezing all the time but when I touch them they're nice and warm, plus I've excellent circulation in them.

Sorry I can't comment on the smelly burps, must be awful.

Ya, it's what prompted me to go to the doctors for the diagnosis in the first place. I had the awful thirst, constant hunger, weight loss, peeing loads - ignored all that. Then my legs started to get restless, progressing to pins and needles, progressing to a feeling like my feet were constantly in boiling water. With random pin pricks, feeling like i had been stabbed with a needle.

I couldn't have blankets on my legs at night going to bed.

After being on insulin for a while, and stabilising my sugars, eventually, all these symptoms improved. I still get restless legs when very tired though, my legs ache and i have to move them constantly to get relief

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ya, it's what prompted me to go to the doctors for the diagnosis in the first place. I had the awful thirst, constant hunger, weight loss, peeing loads - ignored all that. Then my legs started to get restless, progressing to pins and needles, progressing to a feeling like my feet were constantly in boiling water. With random pin pricks, feeling like i had been stabbed with a needle.

I couldn't have blankets on my legs at night going to bed.

After being on insulin for a while, and stabilising my sugars, eventually, all these symptoms improved. I still get restless legs when very tired though, my legs ache and i have to move them constantly to get relief

Thanks for the reply.

Sometimes I feel like I'd some normal feelings in my feet then I'll ask something to touch my soles with something pointy (like the sensitivity prick test) but then I'm always disappointed when I don't feel anything.

You'd gotten my hopes up there for a minute lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

I got bloods done in my gp and my hba1c was up, so she put me on another tablet, glicazide, there's a risk of hypos on it.

I was disappointed in myself for having to take another tablet, but looking at it now, I'm not overly surprised.

But hey, onwards and upwards I guess.

In hospital this evening abruptly due to infection in foot no doctors here until Monday pray for RobbingBandit :(

In hospital this evening abruptly due to infection in foot no doctors here until Monday pray for RobbingBandit :(

Will on call or ER docs at least look at it and get something administered?

Discharge this morning due to extremely problematic night am home now in bed with very sore foot and sore brain think I'll take a break until my problems f tom last night are addressed thanks for the kind words guys.

Hope the soreness and the mood improve for you soon RB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Anyone know where I could get a replacement Lilly insulin pen. For humalog 100 unit vials. Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Right, long story long..

Kind of high blood sugar reading over the past 10 years, mid 6s. Two GTT in that time, all grand..

Bloods in May showed 7.3, seriously pisssed and worried, set out on cutting all Pasta,rice, bread, carbs, added sugar etc from diet, lost 14lb felt great, no tiredness or naps etc. Fast forward 2 weeks ago, bloods done, fully expected to be much,much better...fcuking showed 7.3, doc said I'm diabetic...!! Agreed to come back in Feb 2019 to get GTT.

Now the thing is 4 times in the past couple of weeks I've done prick test on my Dad's little machine, all read mid 5s, even after dinner or snacks.

I'm seriously confused, any help or ideas as to what's going on..?

PS, the night before fasting on last test I drank bottle of wine.

not yet wrote: »
    Right, long story long..

Kind of high blood sugar reading over the past 10 years, mid 6s. Two GTT in that time, all grand..

Bloods in May showed 7.3, seriously pisssed and worried, set out on cutting all Pasta,rice, bread, carbs, added sugar etc from diet, lost 14lb felt great, no tiredness or naps etc. Fast forward 2 weeks ago, bloods done, fully expected to be much,much better...fcuking showed 7.3, doc said I'm diabetic...!! Agreed to come back in Feb 2019 to get GTT.

Now the thing is 4 times in the past couple of weeks I've done prick test on my Dad's little machine, all read mid 5s, even after dinner or snacks.

I'm seriously confused, any help or ideas as to what's going on..?

PS, the night before fasting on last test I drank bottle of wine.

Don't start self testing or diagnosing without any actual prandial or post prandial targets from a health professional, it's a short path to serious anxiety.
    The gold standard test is the HbA1c, the GTT gives an indication of how quick and effective your insulin response is but for diagnosis the HbA1c is the accurate and easily taken method.

So my advice on your next visit to your Doc is get a HbA1c to confirm your position.
    In any case, continue the changes you are making. It will benefit your health and if you are pre-diabetic will hopefully forestall and reverse it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

banie01 wrote: »
    Don't start self testing or diagnosing without any actual prandial or post prandial targets from a health professional, it's a short path to serious anxiety.
    The gold standard test is the HbA1c, the GTT gives an indication of how quick and effective your insulin response is but for diagnosis the HbA1c is the accurate and easily taken method.

So my advice on your next visit to your Doc is get a HbA1c to confirm your position.
    In any case, continue the changes you are making. It will benefit your health and if you are pre-diabetic will hopefully forestall and reverse it.

Cheers for that, He did say My HbA1c over 6 months was good, As you say the changes I've made have really impacted on my life in a positive way. Before I changed my diet I was drained day and night, no amount of sleep helped, Cutting out carbs and added sugar has made a huge difference..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Discharge this morning due to extremely problematic night am home now in bed with very sore foot and sore brain think I'll take a break until my problems f tom last night are addressed thanks for the kind words guys.

You have a boot bud ? Make sure they give ye one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I came across the article below earlier and said I'd post it here. A non diabetic woman wore a CGM to investigate her blood sugars and had some interesting results.
    https://lilynicholsrdn.com/cgm-experiment-non-diabetic-continuous-glucose-monitor/
    It's a very long article but gives a good run down of using a CGM and a few current bits about diet too.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

I came across the article below earlier and said I'd post it here. A non diabetic woman wore a CGM to investigate her blood sugars and had some interesting results.
    https://lilynicholsrdn.com/cgm-experiment-non-diabetic-continuous-glucose-monitor/
    It's a very long article but gives a good run down of using a CGM and a few current bits about diet too.

Thanks for that, interesting read.

The "oatmeal test" is pretty interesting. Particularly because it is my staple breakfast choice along with a very small amount of fresh orange juice :o .

When I tested the freestyle libre I had the same response as the individual in the article. I tend to go for a run shortly after breakfast so I find it good for counteracting the glucose drop during activity. I must try to change my breakfast choice on non exercising days! I require 6-7 units of novorapid on non-exercise days and 2-3 units if I am running.

I think it is reassuring to see non-diabetic patient results with a CGM and their normal diet. Emphasises how difficult it can be to maintain good glucose control and that we need to look at the big picture rather than individual blood sugar results.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Someone commented on Twitter that Quaker oats would go bankrupt is everyone wore a CGM, ill read that article thanks

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Which blood glucose monitor to get?

It looks as though my sister is a Type 2 Diabetic and her doctor has mentioned prescribing her a blood glucose monitoring system along in starting her off on metformin.

The doctor said she can just prescribe "blood glucose monitor" on her medical card prescription form and the pharmacist should be able to give her any type of one with that prescription.

Not knowing anything about such monitors myself I was hoping that some of you more knowledgeable folk on her may be able to recommend a brand or particular model or even just pointers about what features to look out for?

Are they all much of a muchness or is there much variance between them?

Thanks!

Moyglish wrote: »
    Which blood glucose monitor to get?

It looks as though my sister is a Type 2 Diabetic and her doctor has mentioned prescribing her a blood glucose monitoring system along in starting her off on metformin.

The doctor said she can just prescribe "blood glucose monitor" on her medical card prescription form and the pharmacist should be able to give her any type of one with that prescription.

Not knowing anything about such monitors myself I was hoping that some of you more knowledgeable folk on her may be able to recommend a brand or particular model or even just pointers about what features to look out for?

Are they all much of a muchness or is there much variance between them?

Thanks!

I'm a big fan of the OneTouch verio flex.
    It's Bluetooth and the app allows automatic syncing of readings with a cloud based back up so no diary or logbook to worry about if she has a smart phone.
    It also allows meds and other info to be logged and gives a single overview.
    Only thing it doesn't do is ketones but that is much more a Type1 need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Folks, I'm doing the Berger Diabetes Education programme shortly and I put together a very short information note for my employer for the time off. I've attached it here in case it's of any use to anyone.

I'm sure many of you have done the course already but I'll follow up in a couple of weeks with my thoughts in case anyone's on the fence

Advertisement