Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

+ 1 for Pincher Martin, it's a great book. And strangely a little similar to the situation you found yourself in!
    There was also a punk band in Dublin in the mid 90's or so called Pincher Martin.

Yes that occurred to me at the time! Thankfully it had a better ending for me. It seemed like deja vu …

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Graces7 wrote: »
    Yes that occurred to me at the time! Thankfully it had a better ending for me. It seemed like deja vu …

I bet you're an M.R. James fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Finitolight

When I was much younger, around 12, I received a dream catcher as a gift.

I don’t usually remember my dreams and can count on one hand the nightmares that I’ve had—at least the ones I remember.

Every single night I had that dream catcher hung in my room I had vivid, life-like dreams where I felt a primal fear for my life. A flight of fancy? Childish imagination? I don’t know, perhaps a misattribution.

I remember the worst clearly. I knew that I was dreaming (lucid dream), however, I couldn’t control the dream as is typical of such an experience. I was terrified and certain that the floor beneath me was incorporeal. I knew that stepping from my bed in the dream would result in me dying.

Next morning, I threw the dream catcher in the bin and the nightmares stopped.

Looking back, I think it must have been a very vivid and convincing episode of sleep paralysis triggered by some fear I had of dream catchers established by something I picked up unconsciously from a movie or something someone said. Who knows though? The mind is a mysterious thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Munstergirl854

I work from home and would wake most mornings at 6/7...I would usually drift back to sleep for an hour and wake around 8...one morning this week I slept in and woke around 8:20am to the vivid sound of someone knocking on the front door.I knew there was no one at the door though and it was something I had heard in the dream...thought noyhing of it.
    2 days later I had an online reading with a psychic medium who told me 2 deceased family members are watching over me and I'll know they're there when "I hear the knock on the door".

I'd like to think they were getting my lazy self out of the leaba that morning;)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭raven41

Walking home from a friends house in the early 80s as a teenager late at night taking a shortcut through some estates. Pitch dark out, next thing the sky lights up for a split second bright as day. Being brought up during the cold war and a lot of talk on tv about nuclear weapons, my first thought was a bomb had been dropped.
    Must have set a new pb for the mile or so run home expecting to find the street demolished, up in flames. Later someone told me it was the airport (about 4 miles away) turning on flood lights or some such but I didnt buy that one. Never got to the bottom of it...

• Advertisement

raven41 wrote: »
    Walking home from a friends house in the early 80s as a teenager late at night taking a shortcut through some estates. Pitch dark out, next thing the sky lights up for a split second bright as day. Being brought up during the cold war and a lot of talk on tv about nuclear weapons, my first thought was a bomb had been dropped.
    Must have set a new pb for the mile or so run home expecting to find the street demolished, up in flames. Later someone told me it was the airport (about 4 miles away) turning on flood lights or some such but I didnt buy that one. Never got to the bottom of it...

The main east-west runway currently in use was being constructed about that time, with work taking place at night under floodlight. The first time I took off from that runway I was at the controls of a small aircraft during a training flight, in early 80s. The lighting would have been switched off for any flights landing on north-west/south/east runway which was then in use so there would have been an on-off nature to the lighting that might have taken you by surprise. The lighting effect would have been particularly spectacularly reflected during low thick cloud cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Footage of night tests.

Beautiful and very chilling at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaRS7U0emns

Footage of high altitude night tests.

Beautiful and very chilling at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaRS7U0emns

Anyone see those photos of the 'Ghost' in New Ross? Does look like a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭oceanman

saabsaab wrote: »
    Anyone see those photos of the 'Ghost' in New Ross? Does look like a person.
    which photos are they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Alqua

oceanman wrote: »
    which photos are they?

Must be this? https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40215686.html

I'd wonder whether it was discoloured stone on the wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭oceanman

Alqua wrote: »

think that woman needs to go to specsavers.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Alqua wrote: »

She should go back and take some more photos from the exact same spot. If it is something on the wall it should show up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Had another dream of my mam the other night. She rang and explained why she had to go.

Its her anniversary today,21 years gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

She should go back and take some more photos from the exact same spot. If it is something on the wall it should show up again.

Yea but then she won’t get all the likes on Twitter if it’s not real

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

One night in late February a few years ago I dozed off on the sofa at about 00:30
    At about 1:30 I was a woken by a faint knock on the front door.
    I went to the door and there was nobody there. We've a drive way with gates and they are noisy and it's the countryside and I did hear any cars either.
    I left it go and said it was my imagination.
    My mother was talking to her friend a few nights later. His mother had only passed away and she'd have been friends with my mother also.
    He also had the same dilemma. A very faint knock at the door at about the same time in the countryside.

One night in late February a few years ago I dozed off on the sofa at about 00:30
    At about 1:30 I was a woken by a faint knock on the front door.
    I went to the door and there was nobody there. We've a drive way with gates and they are noisy and it's the countryside and I did hear any cars either.
    I left it go and said it was my imagination.
    My mother was talking to her friend a few nights later. His mother had only passed away and she'd have been friends with my mother also.
    He also had the same dilemma. A very faint knock at the door at about the same time in the countryside.

The knock on the door or window at night. Often heard it said by the old people that it meant a death.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

saabsaab wrote: »
    The knock on the door or window at night. Often heard it said by the old people that it meant a death.

In this house it means the bloody cat wants to come in....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

In this house it means the bloody cat wants to come in....

Same here. Our cat has learned to sit in front of the ring doorbell so we will go let him in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Samsgirl wrote: »
    Same here. Our cat has learned to sit in front of the ring doorbell so we will go let him in.

Wait.. your cat actually can ring the door bell?!

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Good thing it has nine lives

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

The father used to blame me for letting the dog in from another room , till one night he was sitting quietly only for the dog to open the door, walk in and then close it behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Well it is Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you thread?
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Has anyone seen the Netflix documentary about mediums and the afterlife? Would definitely make you curious as many people on the documentary seemed to get such peace and relief from visiting them. Has anyone had any experiences with mediums?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

Must have read at least 100 pages of this and has reminded me of some things id completely forgotten!

When i lived in the family home. i used to see a figure in my room frequently standing in the room near the door across from my bed watching/looking at me. It used to creep me out to no end. I used rarely get a good nights sleep when i lived there!

I would half awaken with a feeling like i was being watched then fully awake to see this figure and with enormous fear i would panic to turn on the bedside light only for there to be no one there sometimes i would turn off the light for the figure to reappear which would lead me to leave the light on for the rest of the night or else I wouldn't be able to sleep.

I would leave the door ajar for light but my parents would often close the door if they thought i was asleep, also i would leave bedside lamp on all night or tv on with no volume all night. To be told in the morning i had done so, dont think my parents understood what was happening. Some very rare occasions i would shout my head off at the figure "what do you want" or "why are you watching me"

This went on until i moved out of the family home at 18 and came to a complete stop until a few years later when i moved back in for a year. It kicked off again but I wasn't as afraid of it if that makes sense mostly tried to ignore it but would still creep the sh*t out of me.

Too add insult to injury I would often hear what sounded like people walking around the sitting room and sounds of stuff being moved around well after everyone had gone to bed. I would go up to check it was that noisy to find nobody up there and the house to be dead silent.

I would go back to bed only for to hear the noises again but feeling worse knowing nobody was up in the house we lived in a small bungalow in the countryside all the bedrooms were at one end and sitting room kitchen ect at the other so if someone got up and left there bedrooms you would hear them.

Anyway after a year the family home was sold and i moved in to a new place and the figure stopped appearing once i left the family home, so one night a few years later, i was staying one of my siblings houses for the night and we were talking about living at home just general reminiscing as the house was sold and we were talking about a weird thing that happened to another sibling.

When my sister proceeded to tell me that a figure used to appear in her room also watching her I actually couldn't believe it i was stunned, she would turn on a bedside light to see no one was there. she moved out to go to college at about 18/19 she is ten years older than me and never really returned home much after usually opting to stay at her digs or at her boyfriends parents. She said it stopped appearing when she left home.

We haven't spoken about it since and i never asked my other siblings if they had a similar experience i had forgotten about it completely as its been years since i was at home and its the only place it happened to either of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Im partially deaf,and im up hours cause i cant sleep.just happened to look over where the door is.

And i nearly died.
    My oh standing there with a mask on. Fecker.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Moragle

I split up from my husband about 6 months ago because of his drink problem but im still constantly worried about him because its that bad, so is his best friend. About a week ago I had a horrible dream that he had a fall and I walked in and his best friend was crying on the phone to the ambulance and told me they said he wouldn't make it. It was that realistic I checked my phone when I woke up, it was 1.30, I half thought I would get a call the next day to say he had died at 1.30am.
    Anyway thank god I didn't get that call, but I was talking to his best friend yesterday. He had the same dream last week, also woke up from it at 1.30 but it was me telling him in the dream my husband was dying.
    Were just not sure was it the same night

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

tell the husband he might give up the drink

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

fryup wrote: »
    tell the husband he might give up the drink

I dunno I suspect he has been told that once or twice before. Just a hunch,

• Advertisement

I dunno I suspect he has been told that once or twice before. Just a hunch,

I'm sure he has but you never know what can make someone take notice. Story about an alcoholic who didn't listen to family or his doctors but one morning he was sick in the street and a little girl passing by asked her Daddy what was wrong with him. Her father pulled her away and said something along the lines of he's a drunk and not to take any notice of him. Stopped from then on..

Advertisement