Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calving camera

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭emaherx

Not fields but inside/outside of shed for security, so fixed cameras - possibly 4 - 5 fixed cameras. The talk was of having one pointing down the fields (maybe needs to be a PT or PTZ) but needs and likes will be rationalised when the cost comes in.

Plan was to install a couple of leisure batteries and trickle charge them off a solar panel. The generator would then be able to provide additional charge into the batteries s and when it is turned on.
    Battery bank would also power some PIR yard LED floodlights as well as the cameras.

In that case, one SIM and a router will work fine, just choose your network camera system after that. Go with 12v cameras and avoid using an inverter in your solar system.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

- Will these all be able to be linked within a single app home farm and the outlying parcels?
    - Can the cameras be obtained in a discreet colour to blend in?
    - Does it require a NVR at the farm or can it be streamed to a PVR at home?
    - Should external Cat5e cabling be used within the shed?
    - What spec of camera is needed for just viewing cattle/sheep in shed versus the additional security cameras? I doubt that the calving ones need to be of a high spec? I presume I'd need one with sound?

Will these all be able to be linked within a single app home farm and the outlying parcels?
    Yes especially if all are the same brand but there are third party apps which can work with multiple brands but setup would be more involved.

- Can the cameras be obtained in a discreet colour to blend in?
    Not sure about green , but black is fairly discrete.

- Does it require a NVR at the farm or can it be streamed to a PVR at home?
    Technically either is possible but mobile data plan will probably make it not practical to have the NVR at home. It would be best to record on-site and access recordings remotely. Bit of thought may have to go into NVR location.

- Should external Cat5e cabling be used within the shed?
    Probably, but I use indoor stuff in the sheds with no issue crossing outside is a different story though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

I wrote a little bit on this a while back might be of some use
    https://blackfieldfarm.com/how-to-set-up-a-wifi-camera/

I'll be trying to hardwire it all at the home farm.
    Still not decided on the cameras. Unsure whether to go for 3- 4 fixed cameras or 2 PTZ cameras. 1 PTZ centrally located would give most of the required coverage but there may be a few areas hidden by solid gates/walls. Might start with a single PTZ and add as required.

My understanding from reading a few websites is that nothing more than 4MP is required for a calving camera - albeit the CMOS sensor is the main driving factor - 3MP would be enough. For the security camera 5MP/4K is best.

If I opt for a PTZ I believe that POE+ is required to drive it as it will need more power than a fixed camera, correct?

What MP cameras are the installers putting in these days?

In terms of security cameras I'm not sure how to handle them. To cover the sheds fully would require at least 3 cameras. Would I be better have the security cameras mounted externally or internally? More likely to pick up some audio on the inside and less likely to be spotted, but I dunno.

• Advertisement

I'll be trying to hardwire it all at the home farm.
    Still not decided on the cameras. Unsure whether to go for 3- 4 fixed cameras or 2 PTZ cameras. 1 PTZ centrally located would give most of the required coverage but there may be a few areas hidden by solid gates/walls. Might start with a single PTZ and add as required.

My understanding from reading a few websites is that nothing more than 4MP is required for a calving camera - albeit the CMOS sensor is the main driving factor - 3MP would be enough. For the security camera 5MP/4K is best.

If I opt for a PTZ I believe that POE+ is required to drive it as it will need more power than a fixed camera, correct?

What MP cameras are the installers putting in these days?

In terms of security cameras I'm not sure how to handle them. To cover the sheds fully would require at least 3 cameras. Would I be better have the security cameras mounted externally or internally? More likely to pick up some audio on the inside and less likely to be spotted, but I dunno.

On the POE, be careful there are a few different standards of active POE as well as non standard passive POE which injects whatever psu the camera needs into the Ethernet cable bypassing the switch. Passive POE basically splits off 2 pair of cable from the Ethernet cable and uses them for power. This limits speed to 100mbs which is fine.

Some active POE standards support up to 1Gb speeds as they can use the same pairs for data and power.

If using proper active POE 802.3af or POE+ 802.3at you need to make sure your switch and camera support the same standard.
    POE is about 15W at 48V and will power many PTZ cameras.
    POE+ is about 25w at 48V will power larger faster responding PTZ cameras.

Passive POE can use any voltage up to about 60V. Mixing passive POE and active POE equipment may cause harm to devices. Cheaper equipment is more likely to be passive POE.

I was speaking with someone about this and their advice was to put the NVR in the shed rather than in house as the cable from house to shed will limit the data from cameras and will save a lot of money as no switches are needed and won’t be limited to resolution of cameras.

Still trying to figure out whether to go fixed or PTZ.

What do most on here install in terms of camera spec?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

For security around yards i went with fixed cameras wired to a dvr with remote viewing.
    Slatted shed / calving pens id recommend ptz. While I dont have one myself I have seen a few and was well impressed. Maybe €500 for a decent quality ptz camera.
    DIY would save you a lot of money, even if you are vat reg.

I was speaking with someone about this and their advice was to put the NVR in the shed rather than in house as the cable from house to shed will limit the data from cameras and will save a lot of money as no switches are needed and won’t be limited to resolution of cameras.

Still trying to figure out whether to go fixed or PTZ.

What do most on here install in terms of camera spec?

As long as you don't exceed the Max cable length of the Ethernet cable (100m for CAT 5e or CAT 6) then it won't make a bit of difference to resolutions where you place the NVR. What NVR are you getting? You will still need a POE switch unless there is one built in to the NVR.

If you go with a DVR then placing it in the shed will eliminate the need for a switch while keeping camera cables short as possible.

• Advertisement

That is what I'm trying to determine at the minute. Struggling to get the information on what spec of cameras I require for the job.
    The problem is that when I speak with the others about this the wish list starts creeping up until I start informing them of the associated cost. So at the minute I'm trying to stop the thing getting overspecced.

All I need for the shed is to see if a cow/sheep is in difficulty - hence why i require sound. I do not need a camera with the ability to read tag numbers. i just require a clear picture and sound to determine if they are in difficulty. Anything else is superfluous.
    What spec of a fixed camera would provide this?

If I was to opt for a PTZ I would like something in the style of the small dome type as the normal type might hang down too low and be at risk as I'd have to intall it to hang off one of the timbers bridging the h-irons.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Gudstock

Do you run these off WiFi or a cat5 to each camera?

2 off of wifi and the rest are cat5 with separate power cables

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Durrus Boy

Quick query for upthe experts on this thread. I have a PTZ camera with infra-red set up externally. Once it gets dark the camera goes into stand-by mode and goes offline instead of the infra-red kicking in. It has it's own power source instead of POE, but is it a power problem?
    Any idea's welcome!

Advertisement